So, this is what led me to this site. Thought I'd share...

Part of me really wants to do this and then I think of space, I think the solution is obtain a big house. 42.50 for 100 cases pretty good :), I'll have to order a set too eventually.

[quote name='Ash Burton']
th_8a21f6f3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What's up with that one game?

[quote name='Theenternal']Part of me really wants to do this and then I think of space, I think the solution is obtain a big house. 42.50 for 100 cases pretty good :), I'll have to order a set too eventually.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. That's issue that I'm running into right now (space). I have plenty of shelving, but it's not tall or deep enough for these cases (the carts alone fit great though). See what I mean? :/

DSC02062.jpg

I'm gonna have to seriously re-kajigger the setup for these cases.

But yeah, the price is hard to beat. I didn't have a chance of talking myself out of it, especially in light of all the other custom cases that I've been doing for disc-based games. I'm just really enjoying doing the work, and I don't wanna stop at this point LOL!

[quote name='Chronis']What's up with that one game?[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's an SFC game? I wanted to differentiate between the SNES and SFC titles, so maybe he wanted to do the same? I wish I could see what game it is. I'm guessing he got the art from thecoverproject.net? I know I've been using that site for a LOT of these games in order to get the original box art for editing.

edit: figured it out, it is indeed an SFC title. Super BC Kid (aka Super Bonk).

CIMG0905.JPG

I can't tell if thats a built in wall shelf unit, but it remind me of my old room at my brothers before I moved out. Its all boxed up till I get a good room to myself, share a condo with my GF right now. But when we get more space ill probably put all my stuff up, including the Catherine CE I just bought... ill put it beside my DOA Beach Vollyball 1,2 and Rumble Roses. lol Too bad I don't have the DOA pillow too.

Ahhhh! Not a old school collector myself, but seeing your guys collections is awesome! I always thought the custom cover art was really cool for the SNES games since they shipped with cardboard boxes. Keep up the awesome work guys! :D

@Chronis - Thanks! I do love em, although they don't work very well with my DLP :/

@Theenternal - Built in, and they're all different sizes (WTF). Our house is full of all manner of weird, one-off things. I bet the GF loves the DOA/Rumble Roses stuff ;P

@Bigpimpin24 - Thanks man! It's good fun. I love how it cleans things up. Makes everything look like it belongs together :)

I love the alternate art/color for SNES vs. SFC games. I'd have to do that with Saturn stuff if I ever tried this. (I won't, I can't imagine living in one place long enough to be able to set up that legit of a game room)

Thanks!

So, I've tried registering at least 3 times on thecoverproject.net to no avail. I know it requires approval, but I've been trying for about 3 weeks now :/

I wanna upload some covers. I even have a few that aren't at all available on the site (originals, not customs). Argh.

7cfc7e65.jpg

17 down, about 85 to go. Working on the Megaman games right now. The only original box art that I like belongs to Rockman & Forte, so the rest I'm sorta doing from scratch. I'll post some pics of the actual covers tomorrow, err, later today.

At home. I've got a pretty decent little Canon inkjet and using some really nice Epson paper that I've had sitting around for years.

epson_enhanced_matte.jpg

Here's some of the more custom covers that I've done so far. I'm not really a fan of pretty much all the SNES Megaman box art (save for Rockman & Forte) especially with SO much great MM art readily available on the web and in art books. I'm just starting on the MMX titles, and I have something special planned for them ;)

The top of each image is the original art and the bottoms are obviously my versions.

Megaman7comparo.jpg

Castlevania4comparo.jpg

FinalFightGuycomparo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG, these took forever. But, I'm pretty happy with 'em. I wanted to package them sort of like a trilogy. Here's what I came up with...

MegamanX1copy.jpg

MegamanX2copy.jpg

MegamanX3copy.jpg

MegamanX123small.jpg

Thank you, sir :)

Feeling a little overwhelmed by SNES stuff today. Tackled this instead.

Mess o' Gamecube memory cards with no real home :(

DSC02128.jpg

DSC02130.jpg

DSC02131.jpg

DSC02132.jpg

DSC02133.jpg

DSC02135.jpg

Now they all have homes!

DSC02136.jpg

DSC02139.jpg

Well, since I can't seem to get registered on thecoverproject, I guess I'll just post the covers here (in low res format). If anyone wants the high res, I can just email 'em to ya. I can do whatever format you like, be it TIFF, PSD, JPG, PNG, whatever.

Would that be something that any of you would be interested in? Not all of them are super custom, some are just the original box art configured around my template. But, as I go on, more are becoming custom and pretty elaborate :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, this is awesome. I love the work you have been doin. I also saw your "big ballin" collection in the "Show us your collection" thread. Glad to see we have another die harder gamer.

The Cover Project is one of my favorite sites. I made all my dreamcast and GBA cases there.

Thanks a bunch! I'm trying to get registered over on cover project, but my one email addy seems to be completely blocking mail from the site :( I signed up again the other day with a different email addy, and got the confirmation email at least. Just waiting on approval...

I wanna do my GBA games pretty badly, but I'm not looking forward to spending the $$$ on the DS cases to do so with :/

Got any pics of your cases all shelved up?

[quote name='wiggyx']Thanks a bunch! I'm trying to get registered over on cover project, but my one email addy seems to be completely blocking mail from the site :( I signed up again the other day with a different email addy, and got the confirmation email at least. Just waiting on approval...

I wanna do my GBA games pretty badly, but I'm not looking forward to spending the $$$ on the DS cases to do so with :/

Got any pics of your cases all shelved up?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll try to get a pic on here sometime tomorrow. Cases can be expensive, but one way I came into a few of them was I went to my local gamestop and kinda made friends with the regulars....I come to find out they throw out a lot of their DS cases....I guess its because of lack of room....still blasphemy if you ask me....they hooked me up and gave me a few. You could also go there in ask if they have a few DS replacement cases to spare. Usually when I ask they have to problem giving me a few. I usually try to return the favor and reserve a game since it helps their store numbers.

Well, I just ordered the cases on Nintendo's site. I didn't realize they were so cheap (I almost ordered a foew lots on eBay at the price of 10 for $10). 7 bucks for $10 on the N's site didn't seem too bad, especially since I only have about 20 GBA games. Can't wait to get 'em.

I also ordered more of the UGCs. I'm down to about 40, and I'll prolly breeze through these in no time flat.

Thanks! That means more to me, since that work is 100% me, and not just me taking existing artwork and re-formatting it and adding new graphics.

I really wanna start doing some more completely one-off designs. I'm working on SNES Marion Kart right now, and I'm going for completely original art :D

Hopefully it works as well as it does in my head...

Personally I'm not big into collecting old school games at all. If I can play it on my PC, I'd much rather put it in the attic or sell it haha. Not enough space here for a massive collection. But I must say that your work is VERY impressive. My dad used to be an artist in his younger days, and let's just say that trait wasn't passed down to me haha. But I've always been fascinated by art, and I'm a big fan of the stuff you've been posting. Keep it up man :)

[quote name='wiggyx']Hmm, that sounds like a good idea. I might try that out, thanks![/QUOTE]

OKay, my wife has the digital camera currently, and she's at work, when she get's home I will try to get the pictures of the GBA cases up. Sorry for the delay.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Personally I'm not big into collecting old school games at all. If I can play it on my PC, I'd much rather put it in the attic or sell it haha. Not enough space here for a massive collection. But I must say that your work is VERY impressive. My dad used to be an artist in his younger days, and let's just say that trait wasn't passed down to me haha. But I've always been fascinated by art, and I'm a big fan of the stuff you've been posting. Keep it up man :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, and I will! :D

[quote name='Rollobobo']OKay, my wife has the digital camera currently, and she's at work, when she get's home I will try to get the pictures of the GBA cases up. Sorry for the delay.[/QUOTE]

No rush, whenever you get a chance :)

So, anyone recognize these prints? If you're like me, then you're one of the many, many thousands that weren't able to get your hands on a set of the ever-so-fine Olly Star Wars prints :(

So, I found a little way to still sneak the works into my collection ;)

DSC02183.jpg

Running low on UGCs, gotta get my fix. Got these today so dug right in...

DSC02192.jpg

DSC02193.jpg

Shoulda bought more. At this rate I'll use these up by Monday :/

LOL, thank you!

So, I think I've hit critical levels of OCD.

DSC02225.jpg

DSC02226.jpg

DSC02227small.jpg

DSC02228small.jpg

Still working on the actual cases for the games. I should have em done in the next day or two. So, what do you guys think? Are box sets gonna be the next big thing in custom covers, or am I just a crazy person?

I think I'm gonna make a Zelda box set next...

DSC02222.jpg

I can't believe this is the first time I've seen this thread.

I am extremely impressed with your custom cover projects, major props.

A lot of really cool stuff you've made.

Thanks!

I've got a bunch more that I really wanna get pics of. I also would like to try and get them upped to thecoverproject, but it's gonna take me a while to get them all converted, saved, and organized to do so.

Dude, you're a champ.

I don't collect games, just play 'em and move 'em, but this is some great work you're putting out. I love seeing people do something creative that I know I'm not capable of doing myself.

Wiggyx, Do you print at home- or do you send your stuff off to a shop? If you print at home - what kind of hardware to do have?

Also - I love the idea of the boxed set :)

[quote name='neocisco']Dude, you're a champ.

I don't collect games, just play 'em and move 'em, but this is some great work you're putting out. I love seeing people do something creative that I know I'm not capable of doing myself.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm having fun, that's for sure :D

[quote name='blindinglights']That's legit wiggy.

Interested in seeing the box set for Zelda.[/QUOTE]

I'm still trying to decide if I should pick up Zelda I and II for the GBA for the box set. I feel like I won't be happy with those two missing :/

But yeah, I'll post pics as soon as it's moving along ;)

[quote name='M_Carp']Wiggyx, Do you print at home- or do you send your stuff off to a shop? If you print at home - what kind of hardware to do have?

Also - I love the idea of the boxed set :)[/QUOTE]

I do (print at home). I use Epson "Enhanced Matte" paper and a Canon iP4300 printer, which is nice, but nothing out-of-this world awesome or super pricey. I think it was about 400 bucks when it fist came out in 2004, but you can grab a used one for about 150 now.

The paper makes a HUGE difference as does using OEM ink and not the eBay stuff. Also, printing from Photoshop or Illustrator and not Windows photo viewer or anything like that is preferable, as is tweaking paper settings, print speed, etc. With a little patience and some good supporting materials you can get VERY professional quality prints for a lot less headache and $$$.

Funny story about my printer too. Very Cheap-Ass related. I bought it at a garage sale for $50. The woman exclaimed that everything it printed was full of streaks and whatnot. I almost wanted to tell her that simply opening the printer utility and cleaning the heads would fix the problem, but then I wouldn't have sitting here in my office right now ;) And, that's what I did. Downloaded the driver, opened the properties, cleaned the heads. Never been an issue since and I just clean the heads about once a month to make sure print quality doesn't fade.

If you decide to pick one up, then look up the how to on making it print CDs/DVDs. It's totally capable of doing so (hardware-wise), but Canon disabled the feature on the US model. Download the Euro driver, perform a small amount of withcraft, and pull a little plastic bar off the front then grab a CD print tray on eBay and BANG, you can print on discs! I love it and use it all the time! :D

Awesome cases! Nice!! I've been thinking about doing something with my collection, since I do have some cases that aren't in mint condition, but haven't yet taken the initiative.

[quote name='wiggyx']Did a bunch of Mega Man games today.

Mega-Man-Xtreme.png

[/QUOTE]

Do the Bar codes mean anything to you, or are they there for looks?

At one time I thought that it would be cool to have a database of my games with a bar code on each piece of media... so I could scan games and have the digital manual and cover art brought up automagically. I doubt that I will ever get around to actually doing that though.

yeah - that last paragraph was a little random, but it has been a long day :)

They're just the letters that appear under them (TREME), nothin' special ;)

Dude, that sounds like a pretty cool idea. You may be on to something. You could even use QR codes on them that could link you to a website or something when you scan them with your phone.

Where did you get all those sprites that make up the last Mega Man? I see Star Wars, Pokemon, and possibly Halo Characters.

P.S. This has become one of my favorite threads.

Does your wife appreciate your work? You're very innovative.

I also saw a ip4300 printer last time I was at the thrift store, I noticed it because we got a ip4000 for my dad and he loved it. It later got replaced with some newer model hp printer that I got out of a Woot Bag of Crap.

Thank you! Yes, she definitely does. She doesn't care much about the video game stuff, but there's definitely other things that I've worked on that she appreciates. She's a really good woman, and I'm really thankful that she understands my brand of crazy and even enjoys it (most of the time).

LOL @ woot bag of crap :D

Yeah, I LOVE it! It's never given me a single issue and it's pretty damned versatile for being a small printer. I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone that just needs a good quality, affordable consumer printer.

bread's done
Back