So, this is what led me to this site. Thought I'd share...

Starting a 10 game Zelda box set. I feel like a total nutcase...

DSC02261.jpg

DSC02262.jpg

...but I'm having a damned good time!

This will be for ALL the portable Zelda games, counting Link's Awakening DX and non-DX as one title.

Something I noticed that I thought M_Carp was going to mention was about the bottom half of the back of the covers. It seems weird (to me) to have the bar code and the little legal Nintendo blurb on there, but have the same ones for everything. I don't think it'd be hard to get the proper upc for a game. Also, the "game boy advance logo is a trademark" is on covers for games that aren't advance games. Irks me a little bit. Just a little constructive criticism.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Damn. I'd pay you to do some stuff like this for me, but I'd never be able to afford what you would deserve. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Well, I've been taking requests over of thecoverproject.net. The worst I can say is no. I usually have no problem doing the request if it's something that I can possibly use in the future ;)

[quote name='Chronis']Something I noticed that I thought M_Carp was going to mention was about the bottom half of the back of the covers. It seems weird (to me) to have the bar code and the little legal Nintendo blurb on there, but have the same ones for everything. I don't think it'd be hard to get the proper upc for a game. Also, the "game boy advance logo is a trademark" is on covers for games that aren't advance games. Irks me a little bit. Just a little constructive criticism.[/QUOTE]

You know, I did that for ALL of my N64 and SNES titles, and it got really tedious for me. By the time I got to the GB stuff, I just didn't care that much about it. I've definitely caught flak for it over on cover project. Most of those guys are really serious about that sort of detail. Hell, one guy actually organizes games by UPC :hot: Madness!

I have since fixed the templates so that they aren't super off. See the pics.

GB-template-DS-case.png

GBC-template-DS-case.png

GBA-template-DS-case.png

I did this mostly because I was getting requests for my templates, and I didn't wanna upload them with the wrong info all over the place. It didn't bother me when I made my own covers, but now that I'm all done with my GB/GBC/GBA stuff, I'm kinda bummed that I didn't take the time to correct those issues and add the proper barcodes :/ Maybe I'll fix my files and re-print at some point when I'm done with all of my games. I will most likely go back to using the correct info on my games that still need covers ;)

So, I totally understand what you're saying. That's a really good criticism :applause:

[quote name='wiggyx']
I do (print at home). I use Epson "Enhanced Matte" paper and a Canon iP4300 printer, which is nice, but nothing out-of-this world awesome or super pricey. I think it was about 400 bucks when it fist came out in 2004, but you can grab a used one for about 150 now.

The paper makes a HUGE difference as does using OEM ink and not the eBay stuff. Also, printing from Photoshop or Illustrator and not Windows photo viewer or anything like that is preferable, as is tweaking paper settings, print speed, etc. With a little patience and some good supporting materials you can get VERY professional quality prints for a lot less headache and $$$.
[/QUOTE]

Wow - Thanks for the tips! I have a Canon Cheapest-model-they-make printer. I thought that my covers were coming out looking washed out because of the printer. I tried printing from Irfan View and tweaking some of the settings in the printer driver. It made a world of difference. I never knew that Canon gave you that many options, even on the cheap printers. Thanks again!

No prob! Good luck!

On a side note, anyone know why my sig images show up as links only? (yes, I'm using IMG BBC)

Is it because I still have (relatively) newb status?

yeah, you need to be here for a certain amount of time for pics to show in your sig.

As a side note, I'm interested in knowing how you make the series set boxes for Mario and Zelda. I wanted to do something like that with DVD series I have, so I'm curious to see how you did it compared to how i was planning on doing it.

Thanks for the tip. It was sorta making me feel like a tard. I was like "dude, I know BBcode pretty well. WTF am I doing wrong?!" LOL!

I just made a template, like I do for all of this stuff. Here's the template that I made for 3 and 4 DS case boxes.

http://www.box.com/s/i22849dkp3p6nchcn0qr

Then, it's just a matter of kajiggering the art about it like so.

Mario-Advance-Collection-Bo.png

Printing is the trickiest part. I can only print up to 9" wide, so I have to cut the file into pieces to print it out. I use 13x19 sized paper, so I ended up cutting strips of 9"x19" to make the set.

Then, I just folded and glued it together. For larger sets I'll have to use a substrate in order to give it enough rigidity (like the Zelda set, which is gonna end up being 10 games), but the paper that I use is heavy enough for 3-4 game sets easily. I still don't know what the heck I'm gonna do with the Zelda set. On one hand I want it to be so much more than a carboard box, and on the other, I don't want it to become a year-long project or anything with me carving Triforces and shit out of bloodwood or purple heart to inlay in some crazy-ass wooden case. I mean, I could probably spend forever on it if I wanted to. I think I just need to knuckle down and start pushing some graphics around until I feel inspired...

Also, on an unrelated note, as per the request of some folks over on coverproject, I'm making a new cover for the NES game "Bubble Bath Babes". It seemed like too much naughty fun to pass up. Here's a little sample of where I am with the project thus far.

DSC02278.jpg

Thanks! I'll definitely have to keep that template in mind when I finally print over the cover I want.

Also, nice drawing. I was trying to figure out what it reminded me of, and it just wasn't coming to me. Then it hit me. There's an Ameri-manga (for the lack of a better term) called Empowered, and this character looked like something I'd see in there.

Thanks! I used some Scott Campbell art for reference. I really like how his faces look, but not so much anything else.

Also, I hit just over 170 custom covers today :D

DSC02281.jpg

Finally uploaded all my completed SNES titles, check 'em out on the cover project.

Wiggy's custom SNES covers

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wiggyx']Bah, pickups thread is closed :(

So, grabbed these for 15 bucks today. I'm pumped!

DSC02289.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Gunstar Super Heroes is a fantastic game. If you haven't gotten your hands on it yet, make sure to get Astro Boy: Omega Factor. Its developed by Treasure and its a must for a GBA collection.

bread's done
Back