So Who is Getting Rage Next Week?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Honestly I think a lot of people are going into this expecting heavy RPG elements, just because the setting is superficially similar to Fallout and Borderlands. They've shown "town" areas with non-hostile NPCs, and selecting different ammo types for your weapons, and... that's it. I don't think Rage is aiming to be any more of an RPG than, say, BioShock was.[/QUOTE]

And yet that's already more elements than the average Action-RPG has today. I've done enough research on the game that I'm confident I will enjoy what it has to offer me. If it's anything like Bioshock I will be very happy as that is one of the three exclusives that attracted me to this system in the first place.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Honestly I think a lot of people are going into this expecting heavy RPG elements, just because the setting is superficially similar to Fallout and Borderlands. They've shown "town" areas with non-hostile NPCs, and selecting different ammo types for your weapons, and... that's it. I don't think Rage is aiming to be any more of an RPG than, say, BioShock was.[/QUOTE]

Good point, because I was definitely expecting a RPG / Borderlands experience.

Okay, slightly annoyed. Went to my local GameStop tonight since they were doing a midnight release...and the store was closed! :roll: I guess I'll just wait until after work tomorrow to pick it up. Lame.

joystiq gave it a 3/5. looks like the reviews are mixed based on what ppl expected and what ppl expected from id. (turns Gears back on)

[quote name='100xp']joystiq gave it a 3/5. looks like the reviews are mixed based on what ppl expected and what ppl expected from id. (turns Gears back on)[/QUOTE]

Kotaku seems to like it: http://kotaku.com/5846251/

I never trust critics anyhow. People seem to think that just because a critic gives his/her opinion that it must be fact. I remember hearing quite a few times about reviewers that were bribed into giving false reviews.

jacked from Neogaf, credit to Nirolak:

Exclusive Reviews:

EGM: 9.5
IGN: 8.5
GameReactor: 8

Post Embargo Reviews:

Teamxbox.com: 9.5
RipTen: 9.5
GameTrailers: 9
Machinima: 9
CVG: 8.9
Eurogamer: 8
GameSpot: 8
G4TV: 8
1UP: B
Game Revolution: B
OXM: 7.5
GameFront: 7.5
ShogunGamer: 7
The Telegraph: 7
Strategy Informer: 6.5
Joystiq: 6
Co-Optimus: 6
Ars Technica: Verdict: Skip

I think i'm returning my preorder and waiting for a nice price drop versus $50 from Amazon. I've got NBA 2K12 coming tomorrow as well plus a backlog. Did drive by GS on my way home from work tonight and the place was busier than expected.

Still waiting on more gamer reaction besides the hands on video reviews i've watched.

[quote name='100xp'](turns Gears back on)[/QUOTE]
Of course a good chunk of these reviewers gave Gears 3 a 9.5/10 which is an absolute joke. Gears is fun but in no way is it a perfect game nor is it even close.

If you average all the above numerical scores together you get almost an 8 rating.
I usually subtract a point or so from any review to balance out any fanboyism.
In the case of Rage that leaves us with a 7, which is a decent score imo.
Perhaps not day one purchase for many but still decent.

[quote name='Vader582']Of course a good chunk of these reviewers gave Gears 3 a 9.5/10 which is an absolute joke. Gears is fun but in no way is it a perfect game nor is it even close.

If you average all the above numerical scores together you get almost an 8 rating.
I usually subtract a point or so from any review to balance out any fanboyism.
In the case of Rage that leaves us with a 7, which is a decent score imo.
Perhaps not day one purchase for many but still decent.[/QUOTE]

oh, im not knocking RAGE, i still want to get it i just can't justify buying up all the new releases back to back to back (also RAGE's preorder bonus incentives didn't seem exclusive enough). If I had expendable income it wouldn't be an issue...but I haven't even finished Gears yet and I just got a 3DS recently. So when I turn Gears back on, it's because it needs my attention and RAGE as beautiful a game as it looks will just have to wait.

Eh... the reviews aren't looking too great for me. Unfortunately this $20 coupon is going to expire tomorrow and I have nothing else besides more points I won't be using to spend it on so I might take the plunge anyway. It's not like I'll have a problem selling it if turns out to be exceptionally boring. If it included a vanilla competitive MP in place of racing this would be a no brainer purchase.

So the Anarchy Edition is just the first run? If so Gamestop is pretty fucking shady trying to entice preorders by offering a free "upgrade".

Installing the first disk right now, I can't wait to actually play it though. I'm expecting an awesome FPS and according to a lot of reviews thats exactly what it is. I understand the RPG elements are not Fallout 3 status, but something about id reassures me that it's still going to be awesome.

I'm 3.5 hours in at the moment and as of right now, it's a solid 8 out of 10. It's gorgeous and the upgrading of weapons reminds me a bit of New Vegas. I've been doing sidequests along the way and the sewers have a very creepy, old id software vibe to them. It's not Doom 3 levels of horror but overall there's a nice mix of dangerous, scary areas, and lighter stuff. I dunno, hard to say if I'll ever feel compelled to run through it again once the campaign is over, but I'm definitely interested in trying the co-op and vehicle combat modes.

Played for a solid hour and a half until Glee came on and my girlfriend kicked me off (damn you Glee). So far though so good.

The graphics are pretty amazing (I did install the game) however they weren't as good as everyone was making them out to be. I don't have a badass LED TV or anything but it's a 42" 1080p 120hz LCD so I know it's not that. I'm gonna play it on my roomates Xbox though just to see how different the textures are.

The more I play it the more I am reminded of how awesome id and all their games are. They have FPS' down to a T. The three guns I've gotten so far handle great and sound even better. The enemies are actually a little freaky which I like, and boy are they acrobatic! When reading reviews and stuff everyone mentioned that the A.I. will dodge and weave but they never said how fluid they did it! Enemies will do flips off the walls, ceilings even broken furniture like couches or desks to evade fire. As far as the actual story goes I'm too early to really say much but it seems like your typical Fallout esque story. Humans were put in "arks", an asteroid decimated most of the earth, and after you are released you team up with some rebels who hook you up in exchange for various favors. I'm hoping it gets a little deeper because after Dead Island I could really use a FPS with some depth.

On the same note of Halo05, the game isn't scary but it's not not scary if that makes any sense. Personally I would enjoy a little more things that pop out or go "bump" in the night but I understand this isn't Doom 3.

Lastly, as far as the driving goes, I think it is very well done. Driving in single player makes me want to upgrade my buggy and take it to the multiplayer arena because of how great it controls. It almost reminds me of the vehicles in Half-Life 2. When you first get in them you're like "Oh just another way to get from point A to point B" however as you use them more and more you can tell id put a lot of work into it and it pays off.

So far I would give it a 8 out of 10 as well. However if the story gets more interesting (again I'm like 1.5hrs in) and the multiplayer is good for a few laughs I will definitely bump it up to 9.

Overall very very satisfied with the game. Best described as New Vegas with a borderlands feel. Graphics are spot on and I absolutely love the wingsticks probably one of my favorite weapons in a game in awhile. I enjoy engineering stuff as well. About as far as Nealocus on Nightmare and I must say it is very fair the defib mechanic is a nice plus. I would give it an 8 only because of the install size and the necessity for it (tried playing without it and I swear I was going to have to use a defib on it). I would definitely recommend it especially from Kmart (20$ credit knocking it down to 40 in the end).

I agree with the two above posters, so far so good. I'm about 3 hours in and it still has me hooked, the pacing is really great as you get some downtime inbetween what feel like "dungeons". I hear the ending is the main problem with this game, but I'll be doing every side mission possible so it'll be awhile till I get there.

The game is quite scary ... I turn around and ... Ahhh!! Textures popping up to scare the crap out of me ... I turn back and ... Ahhh!!! Textures popping up again!!

Since most people are praising the game I may as well play devil's advocate. :lol:

This is by far the worst engine id has released. Sure id tech4 wasn't the greatest at big environments but it was solid. I can't even turn around with out major texture/lod pop up and I'm running it installed on 360.

The FPS stuff is ok. Nothing spectacular so far. What I did notice was the guns sounded pretty weak, barely any bass. Very high pitched, almost tinny.

The ATV is ridiculous, I would have rathered having to walk. It handles oddly, you're extremely stiff while doing so. Although driving gets much better when you finally get a car and that's about the point I started to have fun. Btw I couldn't stop crashing the ATV just because it was so damn ridiculous. :lol:

I'm also extremely disappointed that there's no FPS multiplayer, from what I've read. I was really looking forward to a good solid shooter online instead it's just the car stuff.

I guess I'm getting mine tomorrow from Newegg. The Gametrailers review was very positive and that's my most trusted source, so I'm feeling pretty optimistic. Can't wait to try the game for myself.

[quote name='hollowfreak']The game is quite scary ... I turn around and ... Ahhh!! Textures popping up to scare the crap out of me ... I turn back and ... Ahhh!!! Textures popping up again!!

Since most people are praising the game I may as well play devil's advocate. :lol:

This is by far the worst engine id has released. Sure id tech4 wasn't the greatest at big environments but it was solid. I can't even turn around with out major texture/lod pop up and I'm running it installed on 360.

The FPS stuff is ok. Nothing spectacular so far. What I did notice was the guns sounded pretty weak, barely any bass. Very high pitched, almost tinny.

The ATV is ridiculous, I would have rathered having to walk. It handles oddly, you're extremely stiff while doing so. Although driving gets much better when you finally get a car and that's about the point I started to have fun. Btw I couldn't stop crashing the ATV just because it was so damn ridiculous. :lol:

I'm also extremely disappointed that there's no FPS multiplayer, from what I've read. I was really looking forward to a good solid shooter online instead it's just the car stuff.[/QUOTE]

Did you install the game? I agree with the fact that it's not what everyone madeitouttobe graphic wise but there's no way it's id's "worst engine". Also as far as the ATV goes, no offense but you must be awful at driving games. It may not be the best handling vehicle in a video game (and he does look funny on it) but if you were constantly crashing...something's wrong!

As for the multiplayer, I actual applaud them for doing something different. I mean let's all be honest, would play this in a month when Battlefield 3 or Call of Duty is released? Probably not. I think it's cool they tried something outside of box and I am very excited to try it!

[quote name='Nealocus123']Did you install the game? I agree with the fact that it's not what everyone madeitouttobe graphic wise but there's no way it's id's "worst engine". Also as far as the ATV goes, no offense but you must be awful at driving games. It may not be the best handling vehicle in a video game (and he does look funny on it) but if you were constantly crashing...something's wrong!

As for the multiplayer, I actual applaud them for doing something different. I mean let's all be honest, would play this in a month when Battlefield 3 or Call of Duty is released? Probably not. I think it's cool they tried something outside of box and I am very excited to try it![/QUOTE]

Yes I installed it, that's what I said. When there's that much texture pop up and it looks that bad when you just turned around, yeah it's their "worst", it's not a very solid engine and I was crashing on purpose because it looked so ridiculous when you fly off, not to mention the scream. Lol. It handles too well there's barely any sliding and you pretty much stop on a dime. It's odd to say the least the way it handles and looks.

Seriously for an engine that was supposed to be scalable across multiple platforms and still look good and perform at 60 fps and it winds up looking like this mess. There's sprites for trees! Hahah. Sprites!! 2D turning when you're turning sprites. :whee:

Honestly, I'd rather play a solid version of the FPS part of this multiplayer than CoD/BF/Halo any day. Hell, I'd rather play Doom 3 multiplayer on the original xbox than any of those too.

This is hands down one of the better games I have played in the past 3 months. I personally have not seen much texture popping ,maybe not trying to be critical or not really having a bunch of time to compute textures when I have bandits and other guys trying to rape me (playing on Nightmare). Overall I think what is really selling me on the game is the vehicle upgrade system/ vehicles in general. I HATE racing games but for some reason I really like the races (just go to well springs) in this one. Trying to upgrade my buggy so I can kill some bandits. I think it deserves most of the praise it gets as I was quite skeptical, but tonight has sold me.

[quote name='sbains']Pre-ordered my PS3 copy with gold box discount[/QUOTE]
how much was it then? I don't remember it being in the gold box discount

I think the game is amazing! I'm a bit over 2 hours into the campaign and it just keeps getting better. Not sure why so many people are having "texture" issues, but I havent had that problem. The co-op is great and the multiplayer is good also. As others have said, I'm glad to see they used vehicles for the MP. It really brings something different to the plate.

I'm liking it so far. It looks great, especially when you're standing still, but I have seen a lot of texture quirks, and I can't seem to settle on the proper brightness level-- if I set it low enough so the dark areas don't look washed out and grey, the next time I go outside everything is inky and too dark. The guns feel good though, and I like how detailed the world is.

After last night's gaming session:

Pros
Wingsticks
Phenomenal voice over cast (cannot stress this enough)
Shooter combat you'll probably never tire of with entertaining A.I.
Solid vehicle controls and great visuals
Gadgets capable of competing with actual NPC companions of other games

Cons
Voice over cast is severely underutilized
Relatively mundane/repetitive fetch quests both in story and on the side
Lack of a shooter based competitive multiplayer (cannot stress this enough)
Lack of unique weapon variety
Overabundance of healing opportunities skewing any real challenge
Bland universe layered on top of a yawn inducing storyline to match
Scarce exploration opportunities

Definitely worth playing but there isn't much depth to speak of which is a shame. If the rest of the game stood toe to toe with the shooter mechanics we'd have a GOTY contender on our hands. Fun to play but not sure it's worth keeping in the long run. Still tempted to provided worthwhile DLC is on the horizon.

Protip: Always have an abundance of ammunition on you before a mission. I forgot to buy some before one of the earlier missions and it turned out to be an arena type event. No bueno.

I wonder how much texture pop-in (if any) is dictated by your model of 360. I've seen very little on a very new 360 S (with the game installed). Granted, I haven't "stress-tested" the engine or anything of the sort but through normal playing, it's pretty uncommon to see things suddenly grow textures.

[quote name='Halo05']I wonder how much texture pop-in (if any) is dictated by your model of 360. I've seen very little on a very new 360 S (with the game installed). Granted, I haven't "stress-tested" the engine or anything of the sort but through normal playing, it's pretty uncommon to see things suddenly grow textures.[/QUOTE]

I've had it pop a few times, but not enough to complain.

I have an Elite, 1st run but the mainboard was replaced during a bout of red-ring. Anyway the texture pop in isn't always noticable, its just annoying when it happens and you can almost make it happen anywhere. All you have to do is turn around. It's behind you, following you, waiting until you least expect it to reer its ugly head. If you're walking around it's not that bad, if even there at all, but once you look back it's there.

There was a "boss" battle in a garage and if I turned around in that area it was terrible. It's a damn good looking game when it behaves properly, when you don't stop and look around, or you just stop and look.

The variations in the textures is really cool, there's less repetitive patterns and it looks a bit more realistic but then there's also quite a big variation of texture quality going on too. Some are just blurry messes, like some railings and a pile of bodies I saw and others are sharp.

Overall I like it so far, yeah I wish it was better, but I still can't wait to get home and play it some more. Only 3 hours into it and barely feel like I've done anything. Did all the races I could with the buggy, gambled a bit and brought the supplies back to town.

Wow. Co-op proves without a shadow of a doubt they made a serious mistake skipping competitive shooter MP when the single player is so lackluster. Most fun I've had with a new IP in a long time. Now I definitely have a reason to keep this one if only to pray for a Horde esque DLC because the enemy AI is exquisite.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Wow. Co-op proves without a shadow of a doubt they made a serious mistake skipping competitive shooter MP when the single player is so lackluster. Most fun I've had with a new IP in a long time. Now I definitely have a reason to keep this one if only to pray for a Horde esque DLC because the enemy AI is exquisite.[/QUOTE]
Is there matchmaking for the co-op?

And yeah, I feel like Horde and competitive multiplayer modes seem extremely likely for DLC additions.

Yeah. Basic quick match interface but no way of hosting your own for public which can get annoying when the host doesn't notice you can change the levels. I haven't tried the vehicle MP yet but will eventually so I can't speak on it.

Holy fuck this game looks good. Seems pretty uninspired so far but it plays so fucking awesome too. Makes me pray to the lord above that Bioshock Infinite plays as good as this.

Has anyone else noticed the weird green tint in indoor areas? Everytime I go inside, especially in like a dark corner, everything becomes pea green.

I only played the first mission so far and got the wingstick, I really don't like how you just get thrown into the game, I'd like a little more story and background.

I understand it's like the "Arc" and the meteor hits earth and hopefully we can colonize a new planet, then you get out of the ship, immediately get attacked by some mutants and dude saves you, then he immediately asks you to kill a whole gang. It doesn't make sense.

I've only been to the first town, the one at the beginning of the game, but I guess I just wish there were more people in the town to make it feel legitimately like a settlement. It's looking more like Borderlands than Fallout. At least in Fallout you knew why everything was so desolate but even in Fallout there were raiders and animals etc.

i-rMx83pR-L.jpg

Yeah that's literally what I was thinking about the game.........

When I was heading to the Ghost camp I saw those weird flying spinning things and kept shooting at them for like 5 minutes thinking it was an enemy. I guess they are for the jumps??? I can't hit it with the ATV though so I'm still not sure.

[quote name='hustletron']When I was heading to the Ghost camp I saw those weird flying spinning things and kept shooting at them for like 5 minutes thinking it was an enemy. I guess they are for the jumps??? I can't hit it with the ATV though so I'm still not sure.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I've been wondering what those things are too.

If you're talking about the metal floating beacons then those are recon bots of the Authority (main antagonist). If you smash into them with any vehicle you're usually awarded scrap ingredients to build with or sell.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Has anyone else noticed the weird green tint in indoor areas? Everytime I go inside, especially in like a dark corner, everything becomes pea green.[/QUOTE]

I had no problems whatsoever, been playing 360 installed on a DLP, my son started playing it on his 360 off the disk on an LCD and every dark area in the first mission looks that way ... maybe it's cuz he has the green halo edition 360? Lol. Seriously though I would like to know why it looks like that on the LCD

I noticed on a later level, when getting the buggy parts, the shadows had a wicked purplish hue while he was playing. I didn't notice that while I was playing either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played for about an hour yesterday and am having a blast. This is the best looking game I've played so far, I was blown away when I first stepped out of the ship in the beginning. The shooter mechanics are awesome and the enemy AI is really good. I can't wait to play more, I just got my own buggy.

bread's done
Back