So You Think You Can Ride RPG Thread XIV's Chocobo!!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='elessar123']Kimarhi was humanoid, at least. And sucked.

Red XIII was actually good.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on both counts.

[quote name='whoknows']I like it. I don't get the hate.[/QUOTE]

I'm playing it and enjoying it so far, tho I get that the game is holding my hand a bit. That's ok, I expect it will get tougher and I kinda suck right now.

I did finally put in my preorder for Xenoblade Chronicles at GameStop over the weekend. Should be good. Don't think I'll pick up XIII-2 just yet, tho.

Impressive demo. Dialogue and quest structure felt a bit cheap (but hey, so did Skyrim's), but other than that the combat is loads of fun and there's so many moves to unlock and skills to focus on, I imagine this game will do quite well. Wonderful looking too, was really surprised when I stepped outside.

Though I doubt the story will live up to the developer's hype -- pretty generic stuff they are working with here.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Impressive demo. Dialogue and quest structure felt a bit cheap (but hey, so did Skyrim's), but other than that the combat is loads of fun and there's so many moves to unlock and skills to focus on, I imagine this game will do quite well. Wonderful looking too, was really surprised when I stepped outside.

Though I doubt the story will live up to the developer's hype -- pretty generic stuff they are working with here.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that all sounds about right.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Impressive demo. Dialogue and quest structure felt a bit cheap (but hey, so did Skyrim's), but other than that the combat is loads of fun and there's so many moves to unlock and skills to focus on, I imagine this game will do quite well. Wonderful looking too, was really surprised when I stepped outside.

Though I doubt the story will live up to the developer's hype -- pretty generic stuff they are working with here.[/QUOTE]
It's Salvatore. Of course the story will be fairly generic.

I had to laugh during the trailer at the end when they were hawking "dynamic progression!" "life-changing combat!" and the like, because it's really just the same story as everyone else, the same world as every other fantasy RPG, and the same skill system as Dragon Age et al.

My playthrough was buggy as all hell - music and sound effects kept cutting out, and half of the dialogue skipped itself. Not a great first impression.

[quote name='whoknows']I think I'm getting to the end of FFXIII.

Best RPG ever? Probably.[/QUOTE]

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Ok, alot.

Growlanser: Warfarer of Time announced by Atlus for the PSP. fuck yeah, finally get to play Growlanser IV in english. The best game from the series before it went to shit.

Release to be this summer. Placeholder dates are showing up as July 24th.

EDIT: Oh and the game will only have english voice acting due to size limits on the physical medium.

[quote name='panzerfaust']IThough I doubt the story will live up to the developer's hype -- pretty generic stuff they are working with here.[/QUOTE]

When do games ever live up to the hype?

[quote name='Draekon']Growlanser: Warfarer of Time announced by Atlus for the PSP. fuck yeah, finally get to play Growlanser IV in english. The best game from the series before it went to shit.

Release to be this summer. Placeholder dates are showing up as July 24th.

EDIT: Oh and the game will only have english voice acting due to size limits on the physical medium.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like the VO is only in the animated cutscenes, which means not much VO at all. Obviously having VO for everything or the original VO would be preferable, but considering what this is going to sell there is no way Atlus could afford it.

[quote name='pete5883']Sounds like the VO is only in the animated cutscenes, which means not much VO at all. Obviously having VO for everything or the original VO would be preferable, but considering what this is going to sell there is no way Atlus could afford it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I forgot about that part when I read some information on it earlier while I was surfing at work. I just hope people don't look at the last Growlanser released and scoff at this one. This is more akin to the second game in Growlanser Generations that was released on the PS2 except it has been improved.

Though I was kindof surprised to see this announced at all after they had announced Gungir. No complaints here though. :cool:

[quote name='Draekon']Yeah, I forgot about that part when I read some information on it earlier while I was surfing at work. I just hope people don't look at the last Growlanser released and scoff at this one. This is more akin to the second game in Growlanser Generations that was released on the PS2 except it has been improved.

Though I was kindof surprised to see this announced at all after they had announced Gungir. No complaints here though. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Well it's Atlus, they're rather good at trolling their own fans.

Oh and :whee: looking forward to the new Growlanser!

[quote name='GUNNM']man just got skyrim from a friend what an amazing game
(guy one month late to the party)[/QUOTE]
i used to play skyrim

until all the GODDAMN JOKES RUINED EVERYTHING

i feel like most people hopped on the skyrim train, played for 10 hours, and left it be.

i got to level 25 and was like, alright I get it, this game is massive and there's so much to do...but I realllllly want to play other games instead.

I'm over 60 hours in and still playing, but I am starting to feel ready to finish it up. After getting my archery to max and all my equipment to pretty much the highest quality, I'm not as motivated.

yeah it's nothing against the game itself, i just felt like it was very MMO-like, and you really have to be in the mood for a game like that.

[quote name='panzerfaust']i feel like most people hopped on the skyrim train, played for 10 hours, and left it be.

i got to level 25 and was like, alright I get it, this game is massive and there's so much to do...but I realllllly want to play other games instead.[/QUOTE]

I was in the exact same situation. I picked it up at launch, put in a good 40 hours or so, and had had enough. My $13 copy of Trails in the Sky from Amazon was beckoning, and I've enjoyed those 40 hours a hell of a lot more. Skyrim is certainly a superlative example of its type of RPG, it's just not for me.

Man, I am about 20 hours into Arc Rise Fantasia. This game was completely wrecked by really bad dialogue writing and voice acting. It is really atrocious but the basic plot of the game is interesting.This game seemed to have so much potential that was just ruined whenever any one in the game talks other than Rastan.

[quote name='panzerfaust']yeah it's nothing against the game itself, i just felt like it was very MMO-like, and you really have to be in the mood for a game like that.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I thought about Kingdom of Amalur demo... It looks like single player WoW, with a bit of Neverwinter Nights (insert other D&D with lots of alignment choices) thrown in.

[quote name='coolz481']I was in the exact same situation. I picked it up at launch, put in a good 40 hours or so, and had had enough. My $13 copy of Trails in the Sky from Amazon was beckoning, and I've enjoyed those 40 hours a hell of a lot more. Skyrim is certainly a superlative example of its type of RPG, it's just not for me.[/QUOTE]

When I was younger, I was more into games like this where I could play in an open world for hours, but nowadays I just have too many games and not nearly enough time. I'm also more story-oriented when it comes to RPGs.

I played a lot of Morrowind back in the day, tho never finished it. I've had Oblivion for a while, but I have yet to play it. Doubt I'll buy Skyrim (partially because I have a friend who works for Zenimax and he might hook me up with a copy at some point.)

[quote name='GUNNM']Can I turn into a werewolf if I join the you know whos?[/QUOTE]
Yes.
[quote name='panzerfaust']i feel like most people hopped on the skyrim train, played for 10 hours, and left it be.

i got to level 25 and was like, alright I get it, this game is massive and there's so much to do...but I realllllly want to play other games instead.[/QUOTE]
Not me. Well over 120 hours and still going. Currently going through the game with a second character.

[quote name='kainzero']i used to play skyrim

until all the GODDAMN JOKES RUINED EVERYTHING[/QUOTE]

Sigh, so true. Although I finished it off within the first two weeks before things really got bad.

I know I should be happy for the enormous success achieved by one of my favorite developers, but the Elder Scrolls-fan-condescending-hipster-elitist-douchebag in me can't help but feel bitter about the mainstream/meme-ification of the game. I don't want to feel that way, but I can't help it.

it's funny how bad memes are these days now that it has caught onto the mainstream areas of the web. reddit has people with some of the lamest sense of humor.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']All this "arrow in the knee" nonsense just makes me glad I've never played the game and don't understand the joke.[/QUOTE]

And I looked it up 20 min ago >_

I was that way after about 2 hours of Oblivion. I was like "There's no way I'm ever going to get through this game in the hour I have to play games before it's time for bed." There's other stuff up on the shelf, let's move on.

These days, now that I'm older and have less time, (and oddly, more games) it's all about quick and easy.

also:
Thank you Gamefly for showing me that Trinity Universe and Hypderdimension Neptunia are pretty crappy with SLOW combat and I dont need to persue them.
Ar Tonelico didnt seem that bad, however.

I need a little more focus on characters in order to care about what's going on in my RPGs. Mass Effect and Dragon Age are more my speed. I played a few hours of Oblivion and just couldn't find any reason to care about that world or the people in it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']All this "arrow in the knee" nonsense just makes me glad I've never played the game and don't understand the joke.[/QUOTE]

I used to be a COG like you, then I took a Lancer to the knee.

Oh god, kill me.

[quote name='eldergamer']Thank you Gamefly for showing me that Trinity Universe and Hypderdimension Neptunia are pretty crappy with SLOW combat and I dont need to persue them.
Ar Tonelico didnt seem that bad, however.[/QUOTE]

Actually I think Gust is fairly solid developer in general. I REALLY love Mana Khamia on the PS2, still haven't played the sequel yet, maybe I should start that after I finish the couple of games that I'm midway through.

I actually might look into getting another PS2 at some point too, since I need it to play some of my games (and with the undocumented 100% crash in Tales of the Abyss I don't fully trust the 80GB PS3's backwards compatibility even when they say it's fully compatible), my PS2 is a launch console so it's fairly old now, and I'm always scared it might die (it is especially scary when I put the blue bottom discs in it and it makes fairly loud noises).

It definitely reached "cake is a lie" levels of internet saturation in record time. It hasn't put me off playing Skyrim (being a PS3-only gamer did a way better job of that), but it's undoubtedly really freaking annoying.

Though, this is coming from someone who still thinks this is funny:

AllYourBase.gif

I dunno, Skyrim is just a fun world to explore. You can just hike around, find caves and explore them. It's kind of like Grand Theft Auto in that you don't have to follow the rules to have a good time.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I need a little more focus on characters in order to care about what's going on in my RPGs. Mass Effect and Dragon Age are more my speed. I played a few hours of Oblivion and just couldn't find any reason to care about that world or the people in it.[/QUOTE]
That's a recurring Bethesda problem that I'm just sort of... accepting, I guess. The closer you look at their worlds, the more and more hollow they are. That's just the way it goes; miles wide, but inches deep.

It's terrible of course, and something I would normally complain about on length. Hell, I probably have already for Oblivion. But after five fucking Elder Scrolls and a Fallout, I can't really harp on it any more. I know it's coming. Shallow characters and plots in a Bethesda game are like some tidal force.

Though I will say this: for such a big-marketing-budget/mainstream-awareness game, Skyrim has godawful cutscenes/scripted events.

It would be impractical, or at least immensely ambitious to have a game as expansive as Skyrim and fill it with deep quest structure, countless well written characters, and dynamic interaction. But I guess that's the trade off you make when building a game around exploration and character progression. I don't really mind the blacksmith who speaks the same 2 lines of dialogue when I ask him what's for sale, or why he isn't curious about my odd obsession of creating hundreds of iron daggers on his anvil -- I'm just trying to level bro, maybe kill some mammoths when I'm done. Hopefully they glitch out on a rock and make it easy for me.

one of the problems i had is how equipment upgrades don't have the same excitement. i have like 6 uniques (or whatever they call them in this game) and they all have residency in my storage chest.

i also don't like completing quests and getting something crappy like 50 gold pieces or a leather helmet of bargaining 2%.

arrow to the knee sucks but fus ro dah is still funny. =)

[quote name='panzerfaust']It would be impractical, or at least immensely ambitious to have a game as expansive as Skyrim and fill it with deep quest structure, countless well written characters, and dynamic interaction. But I guess that's the trade off you make when building a game around exploration and character progression. I don't really mind the blacksmith who speaks the same 2 lines of dialogue when I ask him what's for sale, or why he isn't curious about my odd obsession of creating hundreds of iron daggers on his anvil -- I'm just trying to level bro, maybe kill some mammoths when I'm done. Hopefully they glitch out on a rock and make it easy for me.[/QUOTE]

On one hand, yeah, I wouldn't expect a game like that to be able to match the narrative quality of a more focused game. On the other hand, they can still do a hell of a lot better narratively than what they've done so far.

Sandbox games are fine, but I just don't know why I don't care for Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim.

Maybe just because everything feels like a side quest.

I definitely want to give Demon's Souls or Dark Souls another shot. Though I think that cartoon is mistaken, as hardcore games nowadays are just as repetitive and banal as their casual counterparts. In my world there are only good games and bad games.

[quote name='The Crotch']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=21960[/QUOTE]
there's a difference between the 40th video of lydia being fus ro dah'ed...

and random fus ro dah in videos showing people falling, though that has died out because it presumably required creativity instead of rehashing what everyone says.

btw i was watching amerrrrrican football clips on youtube and was surprised to see every video with the top upvoted comment being "damn that buffalo wild wings guy" or something similar. man. even nfl fans are in memes being beaten to the ground.

[quote name='eldergamer']I was that way after about 2 hours of Oblivion. I was like "There's no way I'm ever going to get through this game in the hour I have to play games before it's time for bed." There's other stuff up on the shelf, let's move on.

These days, now that I'm older and have less time, (and oddly, more games) it's all about quick and easy.

also:
Thank you Gamefly for showing me that Trinity Universe and Hypderdimension Neptunia are pretty crappy with SLOW combat and I dont need to persue them.
Ar Tonelico didnt seem that bad, however.[/QUOTE]

Same here, when I hear an RPG is less than 20 hours long my interest now goes up.

[quote name='icebeast'](it is especially scary when I put the blue bottom discs in it and it makes fairly loud noises).[/QUOTE]

Yeah the blue disks take more energy from the laser to read, I actually had to send my system in for a laser upgrade way back when because it stopped reading blue disks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='willardhaven']I definitely want to give Demon's Souls or Dark Souls another shot. Though I think that cartoon is mistaken, as hardcore games nowadays are just as repetitive and banal as their casual counterparts. In my world there are only good games and bad games.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, most "hardcore" games these days are all about the illusion that you are bad ass, in the end it's mostly just a show to mask the fact that there isn't anything "hardcore" about said games which are just flashier casual games. (Not that I'm complaining too much as I don't mind my games being more causal, haha). If anything the second cartoon should be the waiter bringing out a huge block of fun and when the customer puts a fork in it, it deflates back to the size it was in the casual game cartoon and he still eats it and likes it.

[quote name='kainzero']there's a difference between the 40th video of lydia being fus ro dah'ed...[/QUOTE]
As the game went on, I found myself reserving that shout entirely for getting Lydia un-stuck from geometry/water.

Speaking of which, bandits in that game fucking love running in to deep water and staying there for hours. Jesus fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back