Some gamestop Employees should be more careful

XxNinjaStaRRxX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
I've been a customer at gamestop for at least 8 years now and the employees never cease to amuse me. I know that no human is perfect but they should double check the games before finishing the transaction. Today at gamestop I bought Yakuza 3 and ended up with a new sealed copy of Yakuza 4. Thats pretty awesome right? :D well the thing is I bought Yakuza 4 the other day so now I have two copies of that game. This is one "AWESOME" error but my friends aren't as lucky as me. One time he bought Beetles Rock Band from a Gamestop 25 miles from his house and when he got home and checked it was Rock Band 1. He had to drive all the way back to the gamestop to return it. Anyways talk about any errors that your local gamestop employees made have made during your purchase.

[quote name='XxNinjaStaRRxX']I've been a customer at gamestop for at least 8 years now and the employees never cease to amuse me. I know that no human is perfect but they should double check the games before finishing the transaction. Today at gamestop I bought Yakuza 3 and ended up with a new sealed copy of Yakuza 4. Thats pretty awesome right? :D well the thing is I bought Yakuza 4 the other day so now I have two copies of that game. This is one "AWESOME" error but my friends aren't as lucky as me. One time he bought Beetles Rock Band from a Gamestop 25 miles from his house and when he got home and checked it was Rock Band 1. He had to drive all the way back to the gamestop to return it. Anyways talk about any errors that your local gamestop employees made have made during your purchase.[/QUOTE]

People make mistakes. Get over yourself. People work for a living and things are hectic as it is. Cherish your "treasure" and call it a day.

[quote name='xmbri']People make mistakes. Get over yourself. People work for a living and things are hectic as it is. Cherish your "treasure" and call it a day.[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to be all high and mighty I just wanted to share a story, not trying to offend anyone.

Yep, I bought a brand new game and they gave me one that has been opened! Though I hear everyone makes that mistake; they should hold a training seminar to stop employees from doing that.

If your friends receipt said and had the beatles sku he could have returned it at any gamestop.

That's also why I always check my game before leaving the store.

First off, the sig above is absolutely freaking awesome.

My only Gamestop story though is I bought Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, got it home only to discover someone had turned in the JP version of the game. No big deal, drove 3 minutes to a different Gamestop and exchanged it.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']First off, the sig above is absolutely freaking awesome.[/QUOTE]

Seconding that. Almost 15 years later and I can still name almost all of them. What a great game.

Anyway... Most memorable Gamestop mistake was back when Rock Band 1 was coming out. I gave them a call right after work to make sure they were still taking preorders for it, and they said sure they were. One rush hour drive across town later, I show up and the guy says they had stopped preorders weeks ago. That was when I decided to stop shopping there.

I never cared that GameStop opened their games and sold them "new"... until the other day. I buy a new copy of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Limited Edition, and once the guy puts the discs in it what does he do? Slaps one of those big circular package eating stickers on the side of it and hands it to me. WTF? I get it, it's so if that sticker is broken or removed that you can't return it as New, but used... but still... c'mon man... I'd have been so pissed if that hadn't come off fairly clean (which thankfully it did).

Anyways, I've only ever encountered one "mistake"... and it was an awesome one. A brand new copy of Red Dead Redemption: Limited Edition (PS3) marked as used and being sold for $34.99. I say it's new because the disc was pristine, everything was included and in pristine condition, and the limited edition DLC code had not be used. I don't see how it couldn't have been New unless someone bought it, then never played it and traded it in.

[quote name='ROB64']Yep, I bought a brand new game and they gave me one that has been opened! Though I hear everyone makes that mistake; they should hold a training seminar to stop employees from doing that.[/QUOTE]

They consider the game "new" even if it's one of the floor "gutted" copies. That's actually normal. Scary, right? I remember trying to convince people that the opened, re-sealed game was "new" even though I knew that the game was opened and therefore used. There's no training seminar that employees need to attend, they're trained to sell them that way.

Not that GameStop employees get training. The training is up to the managers and most of the time they dump it on a more experienced CSR.

You should always check your GameStop purchases before you drive home. Mistakes happen a lot. There's a lot of product in the store and it's really easy to mix stuff up or put a 360 game in a PS3 case. Better safe than sorry, eh? ;)

Was with a friend when he got Guitar Hero on the ps2. I told him to check the game case for the disc, He said naw no need, it is in there. Get back to play, guess what disc wasn't in the case.

One time I went to GS to buy a PSN card, they asked me if I wanted to pre-order a game. I said no. True story.

I have learned that gamestop employees are fucking dumbasses when it comes to gaming of any kind. Seriously the one time I went to buy the pokemon black/white guide (well part 1, part 2 contains the pokedex which I don't need).

The employee was like, well we have part 2 of the guide for preorder.
Me: (I knew that part 2 had the pokedex, wanted to troll his ass). Um what comes in part two?
Employee: More stuff
Me: What kind of stuff, can I beat the game with this guide.
Employee: I think so.

In reality, never expect quality service or your purchase to be correct.

[quote name='tiredfornow']Gamestop stinks, but who doesn't check their shit when they leave the store? :\[/QUOTE]

I havent shopped there in years, but I would check my stuff before leaving the store.

[quote name='tiredfornow']Gamestop stinks, but who doesn't check their shit when they leave the store? :\[/QUOTE]

This. I haven't had many bad experiences at gamestops though (other than rude employees, but only one store I've been to had them). One time the girl forgot to put the disc in the case but I sensed something was wrong and checked before leaving the store. I check the condition of discs before buying used games anyway so I wasn't upset about it (would be the same for gutted "new" games too). You're only disappointing yourself if you don't check your purchased merchandise before leaving gamestop.

Once had a guy at GS tell me to that my Power Up Rewards card(free) was no longer any good and if I wanted to continue with the program would have to pay the $15. I then look at the guy and tell him I had just used it to purchase something on there website, a hour prior, and had no problem. His face turned beet red as he was scanning my card. Oh and he didn't say thank you. I did fill out the survey after that visit.

How did you not even check your game before you leave? Even if they put it in a bag and hand it to you, it's also up to the customer to be responsible and check what you have bought as well.

[quote name='Goodeye']How did you not even check your game before you leave? Even if they put it in a bag and hand it to you, it's also up to the customer to be responsible and check what you have bought as well.[/QUOTE]

I've said this before in a similar thread in the past. Get ready for a bunch of idiots to come in here and banter on about it being GameStop's fault for being incompetent (as in the entire company, all employees included) and that the customer shouldn't have to check the bag. :roll:

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I have learned that gamestop employees are fucking dumbasses when it comes to gaming of any kind. Seriously the one time I went to buy the pokemon black/white guide (well part 1, part 2 contains the pokedex which I don't need).

Me: (I knew that part 2 had the pokedex, wanted to troll his ass). Um what comes in part two?

In reality, never expect quality service or your purchase to be correct.[/QUOTE]

This is what I don't understand...how can you expect a human being to know about EVERY SINGLE THING gaming related? Get over yourself

Only had 1 problem at a gamestop, guy refusing to cancel my preorder. Eventually I got my money back. I'm friends with a manager at the one I usually go to. If I buy a game thats open they show me the disc. I rarely if ever buy opened new games though. I ask if they have a sealed copy, if they don't 99% of the time I don't buy.

[quote name='Goodeye']How did you not even check your game before you leave? Even if they put it in a bag and hand it to you, it's also up to the customer to be responsible and check what you have bought as well.[/QUOTE]

This. I love how it's so trendy to hate on Gamestop, yet you have the same assholes who go in there all the time. :lol:

[quote name='XxNinjaStaRRxX']I've been a customer at gamestop for at least 8 years now and the employees never cease to amuse me. I know that no human is perfect but they should double check the games before finishing the transaction. Today at gamestop I bought Yakuza 3 and ended up with a new sealed copy of Yakuza 4. Thats pretty awesome right? :D well the thing is I bought Yakuza 4 the other day so now I have two copies of that game. This is one "AWESOME" error but my friends aren't as lucky as me. One time he bought Beetles Rock Band from a Gamestop 25 miles from his house and when he got home and checked it was Rock Band 1. He had to drive all the way back to the gamestop to return it. Anyways talk about any errors that your local gamestop employees made have made during your purchase.[/QUOTE]

So what you are saying is if this person gets fired because he made a mistake, thats his problem? I cant speak for everyone, but karma is a mofo and I would have taken the game back. Especially since I already had a copy and I frequent that gamestop.

I dont get what people think when they get over on someone. Is it like this big happy feeling you get knowing you ripped someone off?

All I can say is that this epitomizes what people villify with gamestop. If I buy a copy of a game at walmart, watch them take it out of the case and hand it to me and then go to purchase it, do you know how many times I check the bag? Zero. It shouldn't be your responsibility but they insist on gutting games for new purchases(increasing their chances at error) and can't be bothered in some cases to match up titles correctly on used purchases. It's not trendy to hate on gamestop as much as a lot of people have a bad experience and it colors their view of the company. Clearly the local store isn't making the rules and corporate is as much to blame as anybody when it comes to bad policies.

I hate how anybody who shows a sign of weakness in a post here is piled upon. He paid for a game and got a slightly better game. It would be great of him if he would bring it back but most likely he just put the gamestop out a few bucks. Personally, I would also be worried about the employee losing their job too so I would have returned it. However it ends up being his decision and it's not like morals and ethics of the bragging section aren't grey already. We constantly tell ourselves its awesome when we buy(myself included) a great lot of games at a yard sale that would have garnered double to fifty times value in other settings, shout with glee when we find a 100 dollar game for 2 bucks at a charity thriftstore such as goodwill, and revel in glory when a flea market booth is run by people who don't know what a video game is.

I'm not advocating we all atone by telling everyone we meet how much their game is exactly worth. Instead, how about we not crucify every person who the first few people to post judge to be unfit by then laying on post after post of criticism. Maybe you have impeccable morals and ethics and never have even wandered into grey area but in my opinion you probably just were smart enough now to post it. The best way to show you didn't agree with this guy would have been not to post, his post would have dropped off the front page in a matter of hours.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I have learned that gamestop employees are fucking dumbasses when it comes to gaming of any kind. Seriously the one time I went to buy the pokemon black/white guide (well part 1, part 2 contains the pokedex which I don't need).

In reality, never expect quality service or your purchase to be correct.[/QUOTE]
I honestly do not understand why people think this. Its a minimum wage job and you're actually not required to know anything beyond the basic stuff about video games. Sorry if an employee doesn't know every minute detail about some random game.

I worked there during my HS days. My first bad customer was with the fat fuck of a mouthbreather getting pissed off at me because I didn't know what came with the then soon-to-be-released Persona 3 FES, and the differences between it and the original. Up until then, I never even heard of the game before so I'm trying to figure it all out for him and this douche tells me he knew all along the differences and what came with it. :bomb:

A friend my wife and I exchange gifts with gave me a used gamestop game for Christmas. I put it in my backlog and last month I opened it up and guess what? Wrong game inside there, and a shitty one at that. Yes Gamestop sucks.

[quote name='silentevil']Only had 1 problem at a gamestop, guy refusing to cancel my preorder. Eventually I got my money back. I'm friends with a manager at the one I usually go to. If I buy a game thats open they show me the disc. I rarely if ever buy opened new games though. I ask if they have a sealed copy, if they don't 99% of the time I don't buy.[/QUOTE]
i do the same thing, if i buying new i want a sealed copy or ill pass.

All these people claiming it's so hard to open the case and see if they got the right game...I have a question for you, do you guys ever count your change when you buy something? or do you just figure there is no possible way that someone could possibly fuck up on giving correct change?

I don't shop there.

Only major fuck up I've had was when I ordered Matrix 1 br from GoHastings and the Matrix Trilogy showed up at my door.

[quote name='unc13 buck']All these people claiming it's so hard to open the case and see if they got the right game...I have a question for you, do you guys ever count your change when you buy something? or do you just figure there is no possible way that someone could possibly fuck up on giving correct change?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure noone claimed it's too hard to open the case. If you mean my point about how it shouldn't be your responsibility I stand by it. There's a difference between having to do something because you may be receiving bad service and it being your responsibility(someone else's insinuation that you as the customer be responsible) as if you are somehow to blame if they don't bother to give you the right game. The stories of people forgetting to check are all I see, even though I don't agree with their practices when I do shop there I check real quick and make sure I'm all set.

As far as change goes, most stores count the change back to you but yes I'm sure everyone counts their change.

I'm sure it seems like I must hate Gamestop but I don't. Ever since I have changed them from the primary store where I purchase games to a supplementary source everything is much more acceptable. Competition and choice will make them a better company,

[quote name='casperinian']I'm sure noone claimed it's too hard to open the case. If you mean my point about how it shouldn't be your responsibility I stand by it. There's a difference between having to do something because you may be receiving bad service and it being your responsibility(someone else's insinuation that you as the customer be responsible) as if you are somehow to blame if they don't bother to give you the right game. The stories of people forgetting to check are all I see, even though I don't agree with their practices when I do shop there I check real quick and make sure I'm all set.

As far as change goes, most stores count the change back to you but yes I'm sure everyone counts their change.

I'm sure it seems like I must hate Gamestop but I don't. Ever since I have changed them from the primary store where I purchase games to a supplementary source everything is much more acceptable. Competition and choice will make them a better company,[/QUOTE]

I just don't really see what makes checking to see if you got your game harder than checking that you got correct change.

I've had them put a 2nd game in my bag I didn't buy. Didn't notice it until i got to my car. Some Naruto gamecube game.
Of course, i brought it back in. The cashier just kinda grunted when i gave it back to him.

I think it's just perception. Noone here, even the people who got home and discovered differing games or missing games, thinks it's hard to open and check. If they could, they would go back in time and check in the store. There's just a frustration with the idea that you can't trust the service you are given. The bottom line is, yes you should check, but if you don't you can still feel annoyed you didn't get good service without it being your fault if your game is messed up. It's a fine line but one I think most people can understand once they realize everybody is probably on the same page.

I think the service at the stores is generally good if you just realize that they are only doing their job by asking "do you need any help" and pushing preorders. Gutted games are not a big deal if you are just going to go home and open it anyway, as long as it isn't damaged. Honestly I would not expect anyone of working age to know what is in the 2nd part of a Pokemon strategy guide, I cracked up reading that.

[quote name='silentevil']If I buy a game thats open they show me the disc. I rarely if ever buy opened new games though. I ask if they have a sealed copy, if they don't 99% of the time I don't buy.[/QUOTE]
I rarely buy anything new period, but this. I've only ever had an issue at the next cities store, and it was just an obnoxious clerk. The one here is great, the guys there know I care about the condition so if I bring a case up they grab the disks for me to see without even having to say anything anymore :lol:

I honestly don't get the complaints about Gamestop. They're a big store, they have pretty decent sales every now and then, a decent rewards/discount program, and I've personally never had an issue that wasn't easily rectified.

From working there for many years, it's my experience that people with the "I DONT LIKE GAMESTOP BECAUSE OF *BLANK* ISSUE!" mentality were usually people that couldn't get hired at GameStop.

[quote name='eddie291']I honestly do not understand why people think this. Its a minimum wage job and you're actually not required to know anything beyond the basic stuff about video games. Sorry if an employee doesn't know every minute detail about some random game.

I worked there during my HS days. My first bad customer was with the fat fuck of a mouthbreather getting pissed off at me because I didn't know what came with the then soon-to-be-released Persona 3 FES, and the differences between it and the original. Up until then, I never even heard of the game before so I'm trying to figure it all out for him and this douche tells me he knew all along the differences and what came with it. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

That sucks man. Just reading your story and I pictured the customer as the fucking comic book store guy on the Simpsons. There are asshole employees, and asshole customers. I just recommend everyone try to be neither...a little kindness and politeness goes a LONG way on either side of the counter.

I've had a couple of issues at gamestop, but it doesnt make me shop there less. Though it does make me weary on who I speak to. Example:

I preorder wind waker 8 months ahead and am the first on the list. When they announced that they were giving the master quest bonus for the preorders I went to the gamestop and they told me they could not give me one because I only put $5 down on the game and I needed to put $15. I told them they did not inform me because they did not have my name on the list with my number, i told them to take the list out (which they did) and I pointed to the first name and showed them my number right next to it.

Next case same store, I pre-ordered xenosaga II and with the preorder i was supposed to receive the DVD from the first game, well I didnt. They said they ran out. Well I got upset and asked how is it that I preorder my game months (talking 7 months) ahead of time and they did not have a copy for me? He told me to call around other stores to see if they have any extras...I bought the preorder a month ago for $10

Xenosaga III same store (you think I wouldve learned, unfortunately it was the closest to me) was supposed to get a shirt. "Sorry we ran out"

That store closed down a couple years ago due to lack of profit...

since I moved from there I've become acquainted with the gamestops here and I know who the employees that are the real gamers so when I go to preorder something I make sure they are the ones who take care of me. So far I've gotten every bonus and then some.

Now there was an employee at one of these stores who annoyed the hell out of me. Everytime I would buy a game he would say "oh can I recommend a game? You should play tales of the abyss" He did it so much that he caught me on a bad day and when he asked me I said "what tales of the abyss? The game is good but play another game already" I know he was doing his job as I work in retail too but seeing as how I am in the stores at least 3 times a week after work or before work to just glance around to kill time, you think he would have recognized me. Unfortunately he doesnt work there anymore, but that wasnt my doing

[quote name='karkyco']That sucks man. Just reading your story and I pictured the customer as the fucking comic book store guy on the Simpsons. There are asshole employees, and asshole customers. I just recommend everyone try to be neither...a little kindness and politeness goes a LONG way on either side of the counter.[/QUOTE]

I don't wanna sound like an ass, but he really did look like the stereotypical gamer. You know, the image all of us are trying to escape from. And so true about the kindness and politeness. Although, it can be hard to do when dealing with the general population day in and day out. Simply put, working in retail blows. Glad I'm out of it.

[quote name='ExplodingRat']From working there for many years, it's my experience that people with the "I DONT LIKE GAMESTOP BECAUSE OF *BLANK* ISSUE!" mentality were usually people that couldn't get hired at GameStop.[/QUOTE]

lol :roll:

[quote name='blindinglights']I've said this before in a similar thread in the past. Get ready for a bunch of idiots to come in here and banter on about it being GameStop's fault for being incompetent (as in the entire company, all employees included) and that the customer shouldn't have to check the bag. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Maybe people say that because the employee is getting paid cash money to pick up a disc that has a fucking big label on it with the name of the game and put in a box that has the same name in even bigger letters. He then puts a sticker over the box to make it difficult for the buyer to open.

Just because you hate your job isn't an excuse to not do it properly. How would you like it if the guy fixing your car was that careless? Or the guy at the pharmacy?

to be fair, donkeydrop, that is nowhere near the same level of importance.

I swear, people care too much about video game software... to the level of it being more important than your car or your medicine. :(

Some employees are dicks. Some are really nice.

I got a free pristine Xbox 360 case for Marvel vs Capcom 3, because I wanted to display my LE Edition case of the game. So he gave me the standard edition case to put my game in.

I do hate when they try and sell gutted games as new, that's fucked up. I was actually pretty ticked when they gutted my preordered copy of a game. I mean, I preordered it, I gave them money to hold it for me, and they gutted it. But eventually the employees won me back over, as most of them are very nice.

[quote name='ApeOverlord007']to be fair, donkeydrop, that is nowhere near the same level of importance.

I swear, people care too much about video game software... to the level of it being more important than your car or your medicine. :([/QUOTE]

True, and personally I'm not one of those people that cares about having my games in perfect condition, but it's not like Gamestop employees get paid less because doing a crap job won't injure someone. If they want to accept a new minimum wage of $2 for idiots then fine, but if you get paid a proper wage then you need to do the job 100%.

[quote name='donkeydrop']Maybe people say that because the employee is getting paid cash money to pick up a disc that has a fucking big label on it with the name of the game and put in a box that has the same name in even bigger letters. He then puts a sticker over the box to make it difficult for the buyer to open.

Just because you hate your job isn't an excuse to not do it properly. How would you like it if the guy fixing your car was that careless? Or the guy at the pharmacy?[/QUOTE]

Let me guess, you never have and never will make a mistake while you're at work? Human error doesn't end as soon as someone is getting paid.

It's interesting that you used those specific analogies because I've brought home a prescription from the pharmacy that was the wrong medicine and I've had a mechanic replace to the wheel bearing on the right side of the vehicle when it was the one on the left side that had gone bad.

Shit happens, it's annoying, you fix it. It just cracks me up when people post on here like they're above making a simple error.

bread's done
Back