Some gamestop Employees should be more careful

Also, realistically, like a few have said....

When there were customers I liked, I'd HOOK THEM UP! Preorder swag, posters, freebies, pennied guides/games/toys...

But to the customers that were dicks... Well, maybe that's why some of you get treated poorly at GameStop? =P lol

[quote name='AugustAPC']Some employees are dicks. Some are really nice. [/quote]
Agreed. Although a good portion of them are the former and not the latter.:whistle2:#
I do hate when they try and sell gutted games as new, that's fucked up. I was actually pretty ticked when they gutted my preordered copy of a game. I mean, I preordered it, I gave them money to hold it for me, and they gutted it. But eventually the employees won me back over, as most of them are very nice.
That right there is majorly fucked up to me. I would NOT have accepted it and just asked for a refund of the pre-order on the spot.:whistle2:#

I'd never really had any sort of bad time at a Gamestop... I bought Suikoden 4 new way back when, got a gut copy, looked at the disc, it was scratched. We pointed it out, the clerk wasn't sure what to do since it was the last one. We pointed out the sealed copy in the case behind him. He gave us that one.

I bought a used Sonic Gems collection as a gift, opened it outside the store, it was Sonic Mega collection. I went right back in and got the correct disc, no issues.

I preordered Fragile Dreams to get the soundtrack disc. I went into the GS nearest my house and asked if I got the disc when I paid, or when it came in. He told me he didn't know, and it might even be a pack-in and not a preorder bonus. I said thank you and left without buying anything- I wanted to be sure before I put my money in. I went to the GS nearest my work and asked the same question. They looked it up in the computer and confirmed you picked it up with the game. So, I preordered there. I went in to get my stuff, told the guy who handed me my game I was supposed to get a CD. He asked the second clerk, who got one out and gave it to me.

This isn't rocket science people- no one makes you give these guys your money. Don't like gut games? Don't buy new from GS. Don't like missing pre-order stuff? Do it online. Don't like getting the wrong disc on used games? Thrift stores and ebay. These aren't highly trained gaming experts whose only task is to help you personally. These are minimum wage drones who have to help you in-between stocking, sorting, cleaning, phone calls, and nasty soccer moms trying to get them fired becuase their spawn can't play Mario on a PS3. While having to watch for shoplifters and unsupervised kids tearing the display cases up. And trying to remember how many more pre-orders and Powerup cards they have to sell this week to not get written up and/or fired. Is it really so hard to think that guy might not realize the disc drawer isn't properly alphebetized, and not know he put the wrong Sonic disc in your case becuase he just skimmed it, saw 'Sonic', and called it good?

Either cut people some slack, or go shop somewhere that hasn't screwed up for you yet. I guarantee your options will dwindle FAST.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I'd never really had any sort of bad time at a Gamestop... I bought Suikoden 4 new way back when, got a gut copy, looked at the disc, it was scratched. We pointed it out, the clerk wasn't sure what to do since it was the last one. We pointed out the sealed copy in the case behind him. He gave us that one.

I bought a used Sonic Gems collection as a gift, opened it outside the store, it was Sonic Mega collection. I went right back in and got the correct disc, no issues.

I preordered Fragile Dreams to get the soundtrack disc. I went into the GS nearest my house and asked if I got the disc when I paid, or when it came in. He told me he didn't know, and it might even be a pack-in and not a preorder bonus. I said thank you and left without buying anything- I wanted to be sure before I put my money in. I went to the GS nearest my work and asked the same question. They looked it up in the computer and confirmed you picked it up with the game. So, I preordered there. I went in to get my stuff, told the guy who handed me my game I was supposed to get a CD. He asked the second clerk, who got one out and gave it to me.

This isn't rocket science people- no one makes you give these guys your money. Don't like gut games? Don't buy new from GS. Don't like missing pre-order stuff? Do it online. Don't like getting the wrong disc on used games? Thrift stores and ebay. These aren't highly trained gaming experts whose only task is to help you personally. These are minimum wage drones who have to help you in-between stocking, sorting, cleaning, phone calls, and nasty soccer moms trying to get them fired becuase their spawn can't play Mario on a PS3. While having to watch for shoplifters and unsupervised kids tearing the display cases up. And trying to remember how many more pre-orders and Powerup cards they have to sell this week to not get written up and/or fired. Is it really so hard to think that guy might not realize the disc drawer isn't properly alphebetized, and not know he put the wrong Sonic disc in your case becuase he just skimmed it, saw 'Sonic', and called it good?

Either cut people some slack, or go shop somewhere that hasn't screwed up for you yet. I guarantee your options will dwindle FAST.[/QUOTE]
:applause::applause: Although what personally gets me annoyed are the people who expect to be waited on yesterday and expect to be compensated if they wait longer than half a nanosecond. For those people I say: www.amazon.com

[quote name='blindinglights']Let me guess, you never have and never will make a mistake while you're at work? Human error doesn't end as soon as someone is getting paid.

It's interesting that you used those specific analogies because I've brought home a prescription from the pharmacy that was the wrong medicine and I've had a mechanic replace to the wheel bearing on the right side of the vehicle when it was the one on the left side that had gone bad.

Shit happens, it's annoying, you fix it. It just cracks me up when people post on here like they're above making a simple error.[/QUOTE]

Was your response in those situations lax? Or were you upset your life could have been endangered and demanded better service from your pharmacy and mechanic? I think a common thread is people assume if someone isn't happy with the service it's somehow the customer's fault. Of course there are people who will ask the impossible and have the social skills of a lamp but I think most people just want good service or to reserve the right to complain about bad service. The reason most people probably complain here is they didn't trash the worker in a survey or pitch a fit and call for their manager, etc.

Low pay is not a factor in the low skill portion of the job(matching up cd and case isn't difficult while they may have other portions of their job that is, inventory, trade-ins, etc).

ExplodingRat, if you had said you go above and beyond to provide a higher level of service to all customers you would be what was right with somebody working in a service industry. When you indicate your friends and favs get good service and if you were to classify someone as a dick they get bad service that's a pretty big problem. I doubt you were seriously that biased but if what you say is true then it means there is employees out there determing your service based on their opinion rather than just doing their job.

[quote name='casperinian']

ExplodingRat, if you had said you go above and beyond to provide a higher level of service to all customers you would be what was right with somebody working in a service industry. When you indicate your friends and favs get good service and if you were to classify someone as a dick they get bad service that's a pretty big problem. I doubt you were seriously that biased but if what you say is true then it means there is employees out there determing your service based on their opinion rather than just doing their job.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that there's anything wrong with explodingrat's post. Why would he provide a higher level of service to people that are being jerks? You would give free stuff to someone that's being a jerk to the employees?

If I were a retail employee, I would provide the minimum amount of service to someone that's being awful.

I've had good and bad experiences at every store (except for Amazon - every direct experience with Amazon has been perfect, and most of my Amazon Marketplace experiences have been perfect). My worst experience was a GS that wanted to sell me a new game that was not only gutted, but missing the case and manual. My best experience was during a B2G1 sale. I asked the employee if I could see the disks for the games that I picked out (which were, surprisingly, all complete). She took the time to look at every disk first, then handed me the ones that looked the best. She even pointed out some scratches on a disk to me. I don't remember her pushing a PUR membership or pre-orders, so who knows if she still works there.

[quote name='chiwii']I don't think that there's anything wrong with explodingrat's post. Why would he provide a higher level of service to people that are being jerks? You would give free stuff to someone that's being a jerk to the employees?

If I were a retail employee, I would provide the minimum amount of service to someone that's being awful.

I've had good and bad experiences at every store (except for Amazon - every direct experience with Amazon has been perfect, and most of my Amazon Marketplace experiences have been perfect). My worst experience was a GS that wanted to sell me a new game that was not only gutted, but missing the case and manual. My best experience was during a B2G1 sale. I asked the employee if I could see the disks for the games that I picked out (which were, surprisingly, all complete). She took the time to look at every disk first, then handed me the ones that looked the best. She even pointed out some scratches on a disk to me. I don't remember her pushing a PUR membership or pre-orders, so who knows if she still works there.[/QUOTE]

I probably wasn't clear, but I wasn't taking exception to him being nice to people who weren't jerks. He indicated that if you got treated poorly it's because they didn't like you essentially. He's not really doing anything wrong but i was trying to point out that the flaw in this system is that if they decide you are being a dick you get treated poorly. There's no set guide to what makes a person a dick so it's subjective. Maybe treating the guy who kicked a kitten and tripped a kid on his way in the door poorly makes sense but often it could be something simple that just rubs you the wrong way. If I don't see you holding a phone and are turned away from me, am I a dick for interrupting your phone call? Who knows?

TLDR - If treatment is based on how you are perceived then we need a mobile app to keep track of our perceived dickishness. :cool:

when i buy used games i always try to pick the "best" available one and check it myself. unless the game is sealed the customer should really check out the game beforehand especially with the "no refund" policy around. I have not had problems with Gamestop employees except maybe one fella who kept referring me to FPS and sports games when i told him many times i dont like that genre -_-

[quote name='casperinian']Was your response in those situations lax? Or were you upset your life could have been endangered and demanded better service from your pharmacy and mechanic? I think a common thread is people assume if someone isn't happy with the service it's somehow the customer's fault. Of course there are people who will ask the impossible and have the social skills of a lamp but I think most people just want good service or to reserve the right to complain about bad service. The reason most people probably complain here is they didn't trash the worker in a survey or pitch a fit and call for their manager, etc.[/QUOTE]

I was irritated, as anyone would be; however, I didn't run home to the message boards and spout off about how idiotic the pharmacy tech was and rant and rave on about how I would never make such a stupid mistake.

I don't believe that if someone is unhappy it is automatically the consumer's fault, but I do believe that a consumer should be attentive and have some common sense. Checking the merchandise from a store that sells opened and/or used good seems like some pretty basic common sense to me. Especially if you're driving a long distance to get to that store.

I think you're right though, the people that bitch the most on the message boards are probably the ones who say nothing in the store.

The only negative I have with my home store is that they misinterpreted the "dispose DS game case" order and the "Less than $5 order".

So now I have to buy DS games used cart only and any PS2/GCN games less than $10 will be disc only.

It doesn't hurt as much considering I have everything on my wish list for those... be a couple titles for each that aren't truly necessary.

And I have the case and booklet for Mario Kart DS so... well I'm digressing now aren't I? :B

[quote name='lionheart4life']Gutted games are not a big deal if you are just going to go home and open it anyway, as long as it isn't damaged.[/QUOTE]

Not true. You've got stickers on the case that can be a bitch to get off without leaving any residue, and the case itself takes a bit of cosmetic damage from being on the shelf without a shrinkwrap shield. Also, you have no way of knowing whether the copy they give you is actually new. When I bought the only copy of Drawn to Life one of my Gamestops had (gutted, of course), I found save data already on it when I popped it in. I was able to catch it in that instance, but when you're dealing with discs that don't record data, there's no way of knowing it's actually new other than it being unopened. Not having that assurance kind of defeats the purpose of spending more for a new copy.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']...nasty soccer moms trying to get them fired becuase their spawn can't play Mario on a PS3...[/QUOTE]

:rofl:That happened to me once when I was working at TRU, only the mom wanted Mario for the 360. I did my best to explain to her that Mario is a Nintendo franchise and won't appear on a rival's system, but she refused to believe me. She then started shouting, wanting to know why her 7-year-old brat knew more about video games than the guy who was getting paid for just that.

^thats crazyness. I used to work at FYE and a HellMom wanted her kid to play pokemon on his PSP. I almost blew my top until a manager came and saved me from blowing up on her.

OK a GS rage story. Went to GameStop to pick up Valkerie Profile for DS, since it was $10 new. But low and behold they lost the case. i was so pissed. he then told me we will give you 10%off and a game case. I left.

Not my usual GameStop but i really wanted that game.

dsc01824te.jpg

why is tellgamestop always in spanish for me, i cant find the English button anywhere only after i finish the survey do i see "select English"

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back