Someone dumber than Gamestop employees - Gamestop customers

Wow... I can't believe so many CAG'ers fail at math.

Ok, the sales tax arguement is bunk. If you buy something at GS with your credit, you still get taxed. No if's and's or but's about it. They take it from your credit.

I'm wondering that if I walked up to and offered you either 2 twenty dollar bills or 3 ten dollar bills how many of you would take the tens because there is more of them. Or if I had a 3 for the price of two sale, how many I would sell?

Green and folds is worth more to me than credit. Ask all those Sharper Image card holders really wish they had the cash now?

[quote name='Visc']So $160 isn't a lowball offer but $170 is?[/quote]

But, IF you REALLY wanted it, you would've offered a bit more than $10 more than what they were going to give the guy in credit. It's all about getting the most for what you have, which goes BOTH ways in this instance.

I never said their offer of $160 wasn't a lowball, but yours wasn't MUCH better, as was obvious by his denial of your offer.

[quote name='JJSP']$160 in easy store credit or $170 from some random guy?

There's still only a $10 difference. If you really wanted it, you'd have offered more. We all know that we'd never trade a Wii in for $170, let alone $160. You just got out-cheapassed.[/quote]

So waiting for 2 minutes while I hit the ATM that you can see from inside the store isn't easy now? So tell me how thats inferior to $160?

[quote name='Visc']So waiting for 2 minutes while I hit the ATM that you can see from inside the store isn't easy now? So tell me how thats inferior to $160?[/quote]
Because it's only ten bucks. You're just bitter because you didn't get to rip a guy off.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But, IF you REALLY wanted it, you would've offered a bit more than $10 more than what they were going to give the guy in credit. It's all about getting the most for what you have, which goes BOTH ways in this instance.

I never said their offer of $160 wasn't a lowball, but yours wasn't MUCH better, as was obvious by his denial of your offer.[/quote]

He didn't even bother to turn in WiiSports with it, so I would have had to have bought a copy online since the store didn't have any. I took out the cost I would have likely ended up paying for one out of the offer he would have gotten should he have bothered to bring the game with him, and he still would have gotten a better price. Is there something wrong with that?

[quote name='JJSP']Because it's only ten bucks. You're just bitter because you didn't get to rip a guy off.[/quote]

How am I ripping him off if I gave him a better offer on a system with no game included? So in your mind the GS offer was picture perfect then. Nice to know.

be thankful that it could be a brick wii.

costumer can do much better trading in system and games when they can do that in craigslist or ebay. in conclusion, they are dumb.

[quote name='Visc']He didn't even bother to turn in WiiSports with it, so I would have had to have bought a copy online since the store didn't have any. I took out the cost I would have likely ended up paying for one out of the offer he would have gotten should he have bothered to bring the game with him, and he still would have gotten a better price. Is there something wrong with that?[/quote]

So wait, when you buy a used system if it were one of the models that CAME with a pack-in game, you expect the pack-in game to be with it? Did you ever think that maybe this guy sold off WiiSports on Ebay or someplace to make it so he's not losing THAT much on offloading the system?

Either way, I can see you're not going to let this go. You thought you gave him a 'phenomenal deal considering he didn't have the game', he obviously thought otherwise. So, he took their offer, you didn't get a Wii for under MSRP and you're gonna bitch and moan and call him stupid for not taking some random persons paltry $10 more offer.

I'm done, continue trying to convince others of how 'damn good' your offer was, since I woulda laughed in your face and said 'I can get more for this on CL or Ebay than that just by itself', followed by me giving you the middle finger for such a lowball 'damn good offer'.

[quote name='Visc']How am I ripping him off if I gave him a better offer on a system with no game included? So in your mind the GS offer was picture perfect then. Nice to know.[/quote]
Both offers suck, but when you can freely find a Wii in stores, then you can dictate what a "fair" offer is.

Like I said, GameStop ripped him off. No sense in being bitter that you didn't get to.

Let's make this clear. Visc did not "lowball" or "try to rip off" the guy. $160 in credit good only at GS versus $170 US legal tender good anywhere. There's nothing to argue about here. Visc made the guy a better offer, that's a fact. Who knows what motivated the guy to turn it down. True, Visc could have upped his offer to $180 but he didn't. Could Visc have tried a little harder? Sure. Did the guy make a mistake? Definitely. Did Visc try to rip the guy off? Absolutely not. Am I going to stop answering my own questions? Outcome unknown...

[quote name='saigumi']Ok, the sales tax arguement is bunk. If you buy something at GS with your credit, you still get taxed. No if's and's or but's about it. They take it from your credit.[/QUOTE]
Nope. I bought Assassins Creed back at release all with trade in and I was charged $59.99. No tax. Besides that, I've never ever been charged when paying with credit and the employees have even given me that as a reason to trade stuff in. I guess every GS I've been to has been doing something wrong then. If they charge you tax and you're paying with credit you should say something, otherwise you fail.

I have done several buys inside of gamestores when the owner said it was cool. The local store here only gives credit so the owner lets me buy anything if someone dosent wasnt to trade for credit, and I usualy ask what they want for it. They usualy give a price less than the ammount of credit they would have gotten.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So wait, when you buy a used system if it were one of the models that CAME with a pack-in game, you expect the pack-in game to be with it? Did you ever think that maybe this guy sold off WiiSports on Ebay or someplace to make it so he's not losing THAT much on offloading the system?

Either way, I can see you're not going to let this go. You thought you gave him a 'phenomenal deal considering he didn't have the game', he obviously thought otherwise. So, he took their offer, you didn't get a Wii for under MSRP and you're gonna bitch and moan and call him stupid for not taking some random persons paltry $10 more offer.

I'm done, continue trying to convince others of how 'damn good' your offer was, since I woulda laughed in your face and said 'I can get more for this on CL or Ebay than that just by itself', followed by me giving you the middle finger for such a lowball 'damn good offer'.[/quote]

In other words, you would act like a douchebag having a tantrum inside the store because I wouldn't go far beyond GS's offer. Bottom line is he didn't bother to "get more on CL or Ebay". He took an inferior offer from Gamestop, yet you think $10 less is somehow better.

He would have gotten a better price, GS wouldn't get to rip someone off on a used, gameless wii, and I would have saved enough money to buy the actual game that was missing. And yet you think thats wrong.

So by your own logic I should expect you to take the lowest possible offer on all your penny guides then, shouldn't I?

[quote name='whoknows']Nope. I bought Assassins Creed back at release all with trade in and I was charged $59.99. No tax. Besides that, I've never ever been charged when paying with credit and the employees have even given me that as a reason to trade stuff in. I guess every GS I've been to has been doing something wrong then. If they charge you tax and you're paying with credit you should say something, otherwise you fail.[/quote]

It varies from state to state.

[quote name='neocisco']Let's make this clear. Visc did not "lowball" or "try to rip off" the guy. $160 in credit good only at GS versus $170 US legal tender good anywhere. There's nothing to argue about here. Visc made the guy a better offer, that's a fact. Who knows what motivated the guy to turn it down. True, Visc could have upped his offer to $180 but he didn't. Could Visc have tried a little harder? Sure. Did the guy make a mistake? Definitely. Did Visc try to rip the guy off? Absolutely not. Am I going to stop answering my own questions? Outcome unknown...[/quote]

Thank you. Its nice to see someone here with a decent concept of the situation here.

Considering he didn't have Wii Sports, I offered him what I considered fair which would not put a too tight of a cirumstance on an upcoming trip next weekend. I don't get how GS offers him a worse deal, and yet I'm the ass for offering something better and ditching the middleman. Even the GS employees thought the guy made a dumb move, but I'm the jerk. Right. Becuase I wouldn't go all out for what I consider an incomplete Wii system. Brilliant logic.

[quote name='Visc']I offered him what I considered fair which would not put a too tight of a cirumstance on an upcoming trip next weekend. I don't get how GS offers him a worse deal, and yet I'm the ass for offering something better and ditching the middleman. but I'm the jerk. Right. Becuase I wouldn't go all out for what I consider an incomplete Wii system. Brilliant logic.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you just rubbed him the wrong way.

[quote name='Haggar']Maybe you just rubbed him the wrong way.[/quote]

How? I was in the store for maybe 3 minutes by the time I spoke to him.

I have never seen so many upset people, $170 is a good offer for a used Wii. If the guy was smart he would have sold it on Ebay. but he decided to take it to Gameshaft....for trade.

Retail Wii+Wii Sports = 250.00
so basicly
Wii = $200.00
Wii Sports = $50.00

so a used Wii console for $170 is only $30 off retail. a $30 hit when reselling a system is a great deal!! has anyone here ever sold a used system for $30 less than MSRP? I doubt many of you have.

[quote name='Visc']How? I was in the store for maybe 3 minutes by the time I spoke to him?[/quote]

I tend to hangout in gamestores and talk to the workers, and i know some customers consider that to be the sign of a looser.

P.S. you said some guy tried to trade in a dreamcast....I love it when im in a GS and someone tries to tradein on old school stuff....i always walk out with some goodies for cheap.

[quote name='Sinnbox']I tend to hangout in gamestores and talk to the workers, and i know some customers consider that to be the sign of a looser.

P.S. you said some guy tried to trade in a dreamcast....I love it when im in a GS and someone tries to tradein on old school stuff....i always walk out with some goodies for cheap.[/quote]

Actually it was a 12 year old kid in this circumstance. He was trading in a gamecube system, dreamcast system, and ps2 games. Like I said, I let someone else who frequents the store buy the DC for his neice, at the price the kid asked for, while I bought one of the PS2 games, Kingdom Hearts 2, for more than the store offered (I paid 10, they offered 8).

As it happens, the guy who bought the dreamcast is now going to give the kid's dad an NES sytem, after he mentioned he wished he still had one with Mario/Duckhunt.

Come to think of it, someone traded a wavebird in when I was there too but I was too busy talking to the kid's dad at the time. I may have to go back and grab it for $18.

[quote name='Visc']In other words, you would act like a douchebag having a tantrum inside the store because I wouldn't go far beyond GS's offer. Bottom line is he didn't bother to "get more on CL or Ebay". He took an inferior offer from Gamestop, yet you think $10 less is somehow better.

He would have gotten a better price, GS wouldn't get to rip someone off on a used, gameless wii, and I would have saved enough money to buy the actual game that was missing. And yet you think thats wrong.

So by your own logic I should expect you to take the lowest possible offer on all your penny guides then, shouldn't I?[/quote]

First off, I wouldn't pull a tantrum if someone refused to sell me their stuff for cheaper, since I can understand not wanting to be lowballed.

Second, he COULD have gone to CL or EBay. Albeit, he didn't, which was stupid, but we never did say that Gamestop customers were the smartest bunch, did we? Well, except for those of us here who have flipped to Gamestop before and had them taking a loss on the stuff we traded.

Third, if they still strip out any pack in games or peripherals from the systems(as they did for the internet adapter for the fat PS2s) and sell them seperately, then who is to say that if he brought the WiiSports game in, that they wouldn't have done as such?

Oh and I never accept lowball offers, so I'd just refuse to respond if you tried to 'offer me the lowest possible price' for ANYTHING I'm selling.

And yes, $170 in cash IS better than $160 in credit, but it was HIS prerogative to sell his system where he wanted to, you're just mad he didn't take your offer which is why he's 'dumb'.

sorry, but if he is going to use the credit there anyways, you were not really giving him that great of a deal. to the guy say the being offered is good anywhere, yes it is, but it has tax on it and if he was just buying games anyways, why not take the credit and go tax free? i dont know what is with everyone else's gamestops "charging tax" on credit, but not a single one in richmond that i have been to has ever charged tax on store credit. store credit is only from a trade in, not a deposit on a pre-order that some of you may be mistaking it for. i personally think you both lowballed him and you really didn't want the system that bad if you didn't up your offer. if he had brought wii sports in, he would have had to trade it in seperately from the system itself, so maybe he gave it to a friend or something.

you are obviously having a hard time letting go that he didn't accept your little $10 more offer, but i kind of think you deserve it for not offering at least $20 more. gamestop would have thrown the box away and made him trade in wii sports, he didn't expect someone else to counter-offer, so he didn't bring them. considering he could have sold the system with just the controllers and cables for close to $250 still, your offer was not that great IMO (gamestops wasn't any better before you start throwing a fit at me). just get over it and move on, cancel your backordered wii and go wait at a store on a sunday when you see it listed in the weekly ads that speedy so kindly provides. there are so many people in these forums that say it is impossible, but with the ads being up so early from him, you have plenty of time to prepare to go to that store, you just choose not to go there.

i would have been nice about it except the fact that you seem to be throwing a little fit about it just because he didn't want to take your offer. grow up and let it go, he doesn't have to take your offer and he obviously has his reason for turning you down. it doesn't have to make sense to you as long as it did to him, waiting 2 mins may have inconvinced him for a measly $10 from a stranger that he doesn't trust.

[quote name='IAmTheBiggestInuyashaFan']sorry, but if he is going to use the credit there anyways, you were not really giving him that great of a deal. to the guy say the being offered is good anywhere, yes it is, but it has tax on it and if he was just buying games anyways, why not take the credit and go tax free? i dont know what is with everyone else's gamestops "charging tax" on credit, but not a single one in richmond that i have been to has ever charged tax on store credit. store credit is only from a trade in, not a deposit on a pre-order that some of you may be mistaking it for. i personally think you both lowballed him and you really didn't want the system that bad if you didn't up your offer. if he had brought wii sports in, he would have had to trade it in seperately from the system itself, so maybe he gave it to a friend or something.

you are obviously having a hard time letting go that he didn't accept your little $10 more offer, but i kind of think you deserve it for not offering at least $20 more. gamestop would have thrown the box away and made him trade in wii sports, he didn't expect someone else to counter-offer, so he didn't bring them. considering he could have sold the system with just the controllers and cables for close to $250 still, your offer was not that great IMO (gamestops wasn't any better before you start throwing a fit at me). just get over it and move on, cancel your backordered wii and go wait at a store on a sunday when you see it listed in the weekly ads that speedy so kindly provides. there are so many people in these forums that say it is impossible, but with the ads being up so early from him, you have plenty of time to prepare to go to that store, you just choose not to go there.

i would have been nice about it except the fact that you seem to be throwing a little fit about it just because he didn't want to take your offer. grow up and let it go, he doesn't have to take your offer and he obviously has his reason for turning you down. it doesn't have to make sense to you as long as it did to him, waiting 2 mins may have inconvinced him for a measly $10 from a stranger that he doesn't trust.[/quote]

I would counter your insults, but you're a self-admitted Inuyasha fan. Thats punishment enough.
As for waiting on a Sunday morning for a wii, sure, I'll get right on that when you take over my work shift. I don't know how you waste your weekends but I spend my Sundays helping my uncle on his farm at 5 in the morning. Some of us don't exactly have the "privilege" of waiting in a line for several hours before a store opens, so if I want to rant about how a guy thought $160 was better than $170, its my perogative. Don't like it? Don't read the thread. Its that simple.
And to everyone else who thinks I'm not allowed to get angry at something, noone is forcing you to comment here, so don't be surprised if I value your opinions slightly less than the cow manure I shovel out of the barn on Sunday mornings.

[quote name='Visc']I would counter your insults, but you're a self-admitted Inuyasha fan. Thats punishment enough.
[/quote]

So says the guy who evidently just received an Inuyasha game from Goozex.

[quote name='Haggar']Yeah, you probably DID rub the guy the wrong way.

Can't imagine why.[/quote]

Ah yes, another person who thinks I'm not allowed to rant once in a while chimes in. If you have an issue with me trying to vent then come out and say it.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']So says the guy who evidently just received an Inuyasha game from Goozex.[/quote]

Not saying I didn't, but it doesn't mean I got it for myself.

[quote name='Kuros']*facepalm at everyone arguing with Visc here*

170 > 160
Cash > Credit

The guy was a drooling moron.[/quote]

Maybe the guy was building up credit at GS.

Maybe the guy didn't want to carry the much cash around.

Maybe the guy didn't want to deal with some random guy trying to one up GS.

Who knows why the guy didn't accept, but why does it matter? It was only $10 more, it's not like the guy turned down an offer for $210 or something.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']Maybe the guy was building up credit at GS.

Maybe the guy didn't want to carry the much cash around.

Maybe the guy didn't want to deal with some random guy trying to one up GS.

Who knows why the guy didn't accept, but why does it matter? It was only $10 more, it's not like the guy turned down an offer for $210 or something.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the guy was an idiot?

Despite what you and others have said, the guy was an idiot. If I was working at that Gamestop, I would have looked at him funny.

He Could Have Bought A $170 Gc At Gs If He Wanted To Build Up Gs Credit Or Just Add It To His Other Card With Credit On It.

I don't see why everyone's scoffing at the $10 more offer. It's not great, but it still is more than what the guy would have gotten at GS. The site is called "Cheap Ass Gamer" after all, why should he pay more?

As for OP, yeah it sucks, but what're you gonna do. Maybe you should have offered to buy him a 170 giftcard :whee:

[quote name='whoknows']So was the $160 before or after the $10 bonus for trading in a console?[/quote]

I'm willing to bet after, since when I asked what they were offering I got "we're giving him a total of $160 altogether".

I still don't see how passing up TEN DOLLARS makes you an idiot.

Seriously, at first you were bitching about not getting a cheap Wii. You've moved on to sounding like a five year old whining about it, and have even employed the childish insults whenever someone disagrees with you.

Get a livejournal, FFS.

[quote name='JJSP']I still don't see how passing up TEN DOLLARS makes you an idiot.

Seriously, at first you were bitching about not getting a cheap Wii. You've moved on to sounding like a five year old whining about it, and have even employed the childish insults whenever someone disagrees with you.

Get a livejournal, FFS.[/quote]

I've only given insults when I've gotten them. You have a problem with that?

[quote name='Visc']I've only given insults when I've gotten them. You have a problem with that?[/QUOTE]
Relatively sure this thread started with you calling the guy who passed up ten bucks an idiot, toughguy. ;)

[quote name='Kuros']Maybe the guy was an idiot?

Despite what you and others have said, the guy was an idiot. If I was working at that Gamestop, I would have looked at him funny.[/quote]

The guy was an idiot for making up his own mind?

Used to manage a video game store in WA state and you don't pay tax when you buy games with store credit.

Seriously, if you wanted the system that bad, you'd have offered him more than $10 over the GS quote. Clearly you didn't want it that bad. I don't see any reason you should be 'venting' about it. People do a lot worse stupid things in this world than trade in a Wii at GS.

[quote name='mike.m']Used to manage a video game store in WA state and you don't pay tax when you buy games with store credit.

Seriously, if you wanted the system that bad, you'd have offered him more than $10 over the GS quote. Clearly you didn't want it that bad. I don't see any reason you should be 'venting' about it. People do a lot worse stupid things in this world than trade in a Wii at GS.[/quote]

But the guy didn't sell it to the TC for $10 more, he rather give his Wii to the nasty, evil Gamestop empire.

HE IS TEH MORONZ!!11!1

[quote name='saigumi'] If you buy something at GS with your credit, you still get taxed. No if's and's or but's about it. They take it from your credit.
[/quote]

Not necessarily. In my experience, it depends on location.

I recently bought a $14.99 game (Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble) in a GS store in suburban Chicago. They rang it up with tax added. But when I said that I was paying with a GS credit, he took off the tax and deducted exactly $14.99 from my card.

A few days later, I bought Phantom Hourglass in a GS in suburban Salt Lake City. They charged tax, even though I put it on the card. I mentioned that I didn't pay tax in Chicago, and they said that the state of Utah gets theirs, no matter what. :)

it was a safer deal for the $10 less than to follow a perfect stranger to a different location ..... now if you had the cash in hand or made it worth the risk it would be a different story

LOL This is still going on? DAMN!! I thought a mod would've locked this by now. If someone doesn't though, this thread may take on the epic proportions of the 'billg Circuit City thread' with the sheer amount of whining.

To sum up the billg thread for those who didn't read it, a CAG with a sn 'billg' went into CC either later on Black Friday or the day after BF and wanted to get the BF prices on some items that either the store was sold out of or was only doing a doorbuster on for 1-3 hours. Well, 'bill' got all riled up over the fact that he couldn't get this deal now and DEMANDED they cut the price on a similar item and match what CC's website was showing for the price on some of the items.

Lots of people commented on how he was wrong to want them to cater to him by giving him the special price outside of the hours of the doorbuster special, some came in with a Consumerist attitude figuring that he should've been catered to. Much bickering ensued and I think the thread was eventually locked because of it.

All in all, it was a fun thread to read, specially all of the self righteous people saying he should 'go after CC for what he is owed'. This is why retailers enjoy the Joe Shmoes who come in, buy stuff at full retail and walk back out happy they just got something and mark many of us from CAG as 'devil customers.

[quote name='Proto Man']I don't see why everyone's scoffing at the $10 more offer. It's not great, but it still is more than what the guy would have gotten at GS. The site is called "Cheap Ass Gamer" after all, why should he pay more?

As for OP, yeah it sucks, but what're you gonna do. Maybe you should have offered to buy him a 170 giftcard :whee:[/quote]

Sometimes it's better to play it safe than to go "OMGZ I CAN GET $10 MORE FROM THIS FINE GENTLEMAN STANDING IN THE DARK CORNER OVER THERE!"

The TC could of been some sleazy guy that caused the person to think twice about agreeing to the deal. The guy could try to pass counterfeit money, mug him afterwards, whatever.

For only $10 more it just wasn't worth risk for him and who could blame him for making a rational decision rather than trying make a couple of extra bucks?

bread's done
Back