Someone dumber than Gamestop employees - Gamestop customers

I agree with everyone in here, you only offered 10.00 more, that's nothing...shoulda offered at LEAST 180.00 to make it worth his time.

I wouldn't have taken it either.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

To sum up the billg thread for those who didn't read it, a CAG with a sn 'billg' went into CC either later on Black Friday or the day after BF and wanted to get the BF prices on some items that either the store was sold out of or was only doing a doorbuster on for 1-3 hours. Well, 'bill' got all riled up over the fact that he couldn't get this deal now and DEMANDED they cut the price on a similar item and match what CC's website was showing for the price on some of the items.

[/quote]

LOL

Wow. Although I'm not surprised, I've experienced customers like that before.

Actually I pretty much got over that what happened at the store; I'm actually even more amazed that people seem to think I'm not allowed to rant or vent here, yet they don't seem to have any problem when other people do it. Its all too familiar to the people who tell me I should pretend to be happy 24/7 because they don't like it when people aren't cheerful to ad naseum.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']Sometimes it's better to play it safe than to go "OMGZ I CAN GET $10 MORE FROM THIS FINE GENTLEMAN STANDING IN THE DARK CORNER OVER THERE!"

The TC could of been some sleazy guy that caused the person to think twice about agreeing to the deal. The guy could try to pass counterfeit money, mug him afterwards, whatever.

For only $10 more it just wasn't worth risk for him and who could blame him for making a rational decision rather than trying make a couple of extra bucks?[/quote] Understandable, but from what I gathered the transaction could have still taken place at the store if it would make the seller more comfortable. As for the other rationale, also understandable.

But, since we're on the subject of some Gamestop customers, I recall many a time when people came in and asked for a game and gave the clerk crap for it not being in or something. I was at a GS just perusing the selection with this goon and his skank walk in wanting Mario Party 8. The game had been delayed or something and they started flipping out on the clerk. I kept to myself since I didn't wanna get jumped by the jackass, but it was still funny. Having worked in a similar retail environment, I could commiserate.

:rofl:

Personally I would of said "screw it" to both the OP and Gamestop then sold that Wii on eBay or Craigslist since I would get more for it. But that's just me.

Edit: Then again this is coming from someone who got his Wii on eBay with Wii Sports, Zelda and Red Steel a year ago for $320. The seller I got it from used it at best 10 hours then decided they didn't want it anymore. I happened to find their buy it now auction literaly one minute after they started it. Keep in mind that this was at the time when one was lucky to get just the system with Wii Sports itself for I believe $500-700ish. So I got very lucky. :D

[quote name='dinaboo']Not necessarily. In my experience, it depends on location.

I recently bought a $14.99 game (Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble) in a GS store in suburban Chicago. They rang it up with tax added. But when I said that I was paying with a GS credit, he took off the tax and deducted exactly $14.99 from my card.

A few days later, I bought Phantom Hourglass in a GS in suburban Salt Lake City. They charged tax, even though I put it on the card. I mentioned that I didn't pay tax in Chicago, and they said that the state of Utah gets theirs, no matter what. :)[/QUOTE]

Wow, I didn't even know that was a thing. I've bought lots of stuff at GS using credit, and I've always had to pay tax. My state sucks.

I've got to say I don't think the guy who turned down the ten bucks was stupid. The GS employees told you it was alright to counter offer the guy, but did he know that? Most places I've been to that buy movies, games, trading cards etc. will ban you from the store if they catch you trying to set up a deal with someone else on their premises. He probably wasn't willing to risk that for $10.

Somehow if you have the entire $170 (cash in hand) at the precise moment and showed it him, he would have accepted. He probably didn't trust OP at the time because his wallet was empty and the OP might seem shady.

damn. too late to get my two cents in...

aw fuck it, it's the internet.

Any arguements against OP need to reconsider their hypothetical sittuations and look at numbers. He was in a gamestop with two employees that could vouch for the buyer (or provide the protection of an open environment with high pedestrian traffic should the deal go south), physical distance or significant ammounts of time were not an issue, and he was offered a better deal by the potential buyer -- $170 cash money as opposed to "$"160 (really just a number in a computer at a store).

OP makes the point that wii sports was not included. look at eBay prices (the only place to have a decent chance of finding a copy), and you'll see ~$50. And the point of the wii ("we") is communal gaming. The first thing everyone wants to do is play Bowling or Tennis when they see my Wii (giggidy). Wii Sports is part of the essential Wii experience

also, minus box and instructions (lowering the BUYER'S resale value substatially) the buyer's already out ~$60-$70 worth of resale value.

the arguement concerining tax -- i've always been taxed on credit at gamestop AND gamecrazy here in so-cal.

and $10? I'd take it. $10 is a lot of money, especially in the world of videogames. is it less than $20 or $30? of course. But those are hypothetical numbers. the guy might have come up $20 or $30, but that's up in the air. it's a DEFINATE that he could have been up by $10. So what's going to happen when the guy's hurting for gas money, or at work the day before payday? he's boned, that's what he is, because the local sandwich place doesn't take gamestop credit.

in coclusion, the internet is for arguing, bad spelling, and grammar errors, people too stubborn to take a deal on principle should be shot, thecheapestgamer doesn't really have an opinion and just enjoys being a conservative devil's advocate douche, and i understand the OP's blinding frustration at the people who take the seller's side with innane, imagined, unfounded reasoning.

btw, thecheapestgamer, this is NOTHING like the billg thread. he was a douchebag who took potshots at alzheimer's patients, refused a deal much better than any of us argueing the day after Black Friday could ever have dreamed of, and thought he was witty. He wasn't. Being sardonic for a three page rant just makes you sound like a prick.

[quote name='hero101']Somehow if you have the entire $170 (cash in hand) at the precise moment and showed it him, he would have accepted. He probably didn't trust OP at the time because his wallet was empty and the OP might seem shady.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing

[quote name='hero101']Somehow if you have the entire $170 (cash in hand) at the precise moment and showed it him, he would have accepted. He probably didn't trust OP at the time because his wallet was empty and the OP might seem shady.[/quote]

This.

[quote name='hero101']Somehow if you have the entire $170 (cash in hand) at the precise moment and showed it him, he would have accepted. He probably didn't trust OP at the time because his wallet was empty and the OP might seem shady.[/QUOTE]

The thing is that the OP would had to of known prior to entering Gamestop to have that $170 on hand with him.

[quote name='Visc']I say this over an incident at my local, and preferred, gamestop today.

As I walked in today, I say a wii system sitting on the front counter. It turns out someone was trading one in as I got there. Now, the emplyees at this GS know me quite well, we're good friends, they know my wii has been backordered 4 months now, so I asked them what they offered in trade-in credit, $160, and asked if they would mind if I counter-offered the guy, which they were fine with.

So I walked over to the gentlemen and politely offered to man $170 cash direct from the nearby ATM for the system, which was also missing its box and lacked Wii Sports when he brought it in. He thought for a moment and said:
"Nah. I'd rather get the $160 in credit."

I said ok, thanks anyways, but inside I was fuming at the stupidity of this moron. After he left, even the employees were calling him a moron, jackass, etc.

On the bright side though, they game me a Simon Belmont figuring and a Silent Hill Experience while I was there. So it wasn't a total loss I guess, but still, it sucks that someone can be as stupid as that customer.[/quote]
I had to edit my original post down in order not to directly offend people here, but the gist of it was: you are completely right. Even assuming the whole "no tax on credit" arguement is correct; more money, especially CASH to spend anywhere you choose, should have done the trick. I can't even believe people are trying to say it's better to get LESS from GS (who will turn around and sell it for more) than to sell it to a regular Joe for more than a trade in but less than it's "worth". The guy was an idiot.

[quote name='Visc']Because I didn't lowball him; I offered him more in cash than he was getting in credit, from an ATM in the same plaza. All he would have had to have done was sit there for two minutes for me to make an ATM transaction less than twenty feet away.[/QUOTE]

isn't game credit tax free?

here tax is 7% so its actually worth $171.20, so you didn't really offer him more

[quote name='pulsar0510']I had to edit my original post down in order not to directly offend people here, but the gist of it was: you are completely right. Even assuming the whole "no tax on credit" arguement is correct; more money, especially CASH to spend anywhere you choose, should have done the trick. I can't even believe people are trying to say it's better to get LESS from GS (who will turn around and sell it for more) than to sell it to a regular Joe for more than a trade in but less than it's "worth". The guy was an idiot.[/quote]

My point is, its not better to take the credit. The point is, if the guy is smart enough to know that he won't get taxed on credit, then $170 isn't a better deal for him if HE WANTS TO SPEND THE MONEY ON NEW GAMES. Believe it or not there still are customers out there that might be loyal to the stores they shop at, even if it is a GS.

If I was the guy with the Wii, I'd have said no and asked for more. $10 more isn't going to make me sell to a stranger who walks up to me in the store.

Just found a copy of Rez at Gamestop. The cashiers were indirectly mocking me while ringing me up by talking to each other and saying "I got my copy for $10" and "Mine's in HD." Good for them, but I'd rather have a tangible copy of a game worth $40+ for $23

[quote name='tsunami_bomb3r']damn. too late to get my two cents in...

aw fuck it, it's the internet.

Any arguements against OP need to reconsider their hypothetical sittuations and look at numbers. He was in a gamestop with two employees that could vouch for the buyer (or provide the protection of an open environment with high pedestrian traffic should the deal go south), physical distance or significant ammounts of time were not an issue, and he was offered a better deal by the potential buyer -- $170 cash money as opposed to "$"160 (really just a number in a computer at a store).

OP makes the point that wii sports was not included. look at eBay prices (the only place to have a decent chance of finding a copy), and you'll see ~$50. And the point of the wii ("we") is communal gaming. The first thing everyone wants to do is play Bowling or Tennis when they see my Wii (giggidy). Wii Sports is part of the essential Wii experience

also, minus box and instructions (lowering the BUYER'S resale value substatially) the buyer's already out ~$60-$70 worth of resale value.

the arguement concerining tax -- i've always been taxed on credit at gamestop AND gamecrazy here in so-cal.

and $10? I'd take it. $10 is a lot of money, especially in the world of videogames. is it less than $20 or $30? of course. But those are hypothetical numbers. the guy might have come up $20 or $30, but that's up in the air. it's a DEFINATE that he could have been up by $10. So what's going to happen when the guy's hurting for gas money, or at work the day before payday? he's boned, that's what he is, because the local sandwich place doesn't take gamestop credit.

in coclusion, the internet is for arguing, bad spelling, and grammar errors, people too stubborn to take a deal on principle should be shot, thecheapestgamer doesn't really have an opinion and just enjoys being a conservative devil's advocate douche, and i understand the OP's blinding frustration at the people who take the seller's side with innane, imagined, unfounded reasoning.

btw, thecheapestgamer, this is NOTHING like the billg thread. he was a douchebag who took potshots at alzheimer's patients, refused a deal much better than any of us argueing the day after Black Friday could ever have dreamed of, and thought he was witty. He wasn't. Being sardonic for a three page rant just makes you sound like a prick.[/quote]

Who said I wasn't a prick? I like to argue, I'll admit that. But, what I was saying to the OP was that the seller had a right to deny them the Wii because it was still THEIR system and they could do with it as they please. For whatever reason, they preferred the Gamestop credit over the OP's money. Was it stupid of them to not take $10 more than Gamestop? Obviously not in their eyes, since as many have said already, the OP could've been trying to hand them counterfeit cash or swindle them in some other way.

Now, before you go off and say that I'm calling the OP a con artist and a scammer, let it be said that I am NOT in any way, shape or form calling them such things.

However, the seller had their right to refuse the offer, perhaps hoping that the OP would've added some more value to sweeten the deal. But, they did not and instead came home and bitched and moaned about how 'stupid' the seller was and was hoping they would get a bunch of 'yeah you were right' responses.

The OP came off as bitter and dejected and almost every response in favor of them seems to trumpet the $10 more offer as some big deal, when it's not in the scheme of things. Now, if the offer were $50 more, I could see the OP having a kinipshit over someone rejecting that sort of offer. But, even I would've denied a meager $10 more offer for something I'm selling to Gamestop, mainly because I have a suspicious nature and would fear the above mentioned counterfeit cash scenario.

[quote name='whoknows']Credit does have it's good points, such as you aren't charged tax if you pay with credit. If he knew that then maybe that's why he declined your offer?[/quote]

In Ohio you pay tax even on purchases made with credit.

Yeah, if there's no tax charged on credit, then he was gonna get the same exact deal (assuming he's heavy into Gamestop shopping)
All he was doing was trying to get a better offer from you when he saw you had interest. He probably had a faint idea that he was getting a little ripped off from Gamestop. So, he wanted to get something a little bit better.
Maybe you're the idiot for not counter offering at least once to see what he would have had in mind. Did you have an extra ten in your wallet? If not, how was that going to go? Take out the 180 and get change from the GS employee? You should have tried 180. At least then he's getting a little something extra out of the deal and you're still getting a good deal.

[quote name='mike.m']My point is, its not better to take the credit. The point is, if the guy is smart enough to know that he won't get taxed on credit, then $170 isn't a better deal for him if HE WANTS TO SPEND THE MONEY ON NEW GAMES. Believe it or not there still are customers out there that might be loyal to the stores they shop at, even if it is a GS.

If I was the guy with the Wii, I'd have said no and asked for more. $10 more isn't going to make me sell to a stranger who walks up to me in the store.[/quote]
The point is taking less in credit than someone offers in cash is stupid.

[quote name='pulsar0510']The point is taking less in credit than someone offers in cash is stupid.[/quote]

Again, not if he has to pay tax with cash on games. Not knowing what state this took place in, I wouldn't know. I wouldn't do it for $10 more if I knew I had to pay tax on more games I wanted. Which is obviously what the guy with the Wii wanted since he was doing store credit.

I remember at my GS that there was a guy trading in his ps2 games and accessories. I needed a memory card so I offered him what GS was offering plus a couple bucks but he said no and said that I just had to give him what GS offered him. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you get a douche.

Would GS employees get mad if a customer is trying to sell them something and I make them a better offer? Should they get mad?

[quote name='D_Icon']Would GS employees get mad if a customer is trying to sell them something and I make them a better offer? Should they get mad?[/quote]

You can get banned from a store for trying to do that.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']See, that makes no sense, why wouldn't that person you offered to want MORE for their stuff than what GS was offering?

Some people just make you wonder.[/quote]

I guess the fact that he was getting cash over credit was good enough or like I said before maybe it was because he wasn't a douche. Now I don't think anyone who expects more than what GS is giving is a douche but I would rather help someone out then trade in something to GS.

True, but I've offered(when I offer)OVER the amount they were giving them and they didn't refuse it. Did you check the memory card since you bought it? I hope so, since if it's anything like the one my one buddy stupidly bought from Gamestop, then it may have been broken and that's why they were trading it in and didn't take MORE for it from you.

You think that's stupid?

I was trading on gametz - and I go to trade for a game that's not exactly in high demand. The guy with the listing says nope because he's strapped for cash at College so I offer him one dollar more then what I'd pay for a sealed copy from Amazon (I explained this as well, I used to be in college too after all..) - he says no dice and wants about 4 dollars more.

Needless to say I bought it from Amazon - I was just surprised that someone who was "strapped for cash" would not be willing to sell at higher then market price.

And CheapestGamer - it is his to do what he wants with true, but I still say he's stupid.

first of all visc, the only reason i "insulted you" is because you were throwing a fit about someone turning down your lowball offer in comparison to gamestops. second, that is a great thing you do at your uncles farm, but to take one day off or even help him a little later if you really want the system that bad, i am sure you could do it and he would be fine. you could also give the money to a close friend and ask them to try and go up there for you, but since you are taking cheap shots, i am sure you really don't have too many close friends the way you act.

when i made this username i was into the show inuyasha a lot and i had forgot the email and password i used for my other username, so i just made an entirely new one. some random person on the internet making fun of my username is not going to hurt my feelings, so go ahead and say what you want. i actually ended up buying my wii from a friend after they used it 1 time for what they paid and that was that. i didn't try to lowball anyone for it and even if i had, i wouldn't get all upset and go crying to people on the internet that the random person i tried to screw over for a wii told me no.

i am sure most of the "smart people" on this forum defending you don't understand the concept of loyality to a store, building up store credit (sorry, the giftcard is NOT store credit and can be taxed), or even not wanting to wait 2 mins. for a stranger that is only offering $10 more for a system. if he felt like actually dealing with people, he would have probably sold it on craigslist for $30-$50 more than you offered him, even without the box or wii sports, but he obviously went a different route for a reason.

yes this is cheapassgamer and yes $10 is a little more, but again, the guy obviously had his reason for saying no and i dont see how that makes him an idiot. if anything accepting gamestop's offer was the only reason i can see this person being called one. i would have personally told both of you (gamestop and visc) no thanks with such low offers, since it is almost a slap in the face.

The main thing is taking $160 store credit or $170 from a stranger. personally I would have taken the $170, but you cant blame a guy for not wanting to trust a stranger.

if I really wanted it I would've offered him $180 cash or so. The only reason I could think of him turning down your offer would be counterfeit money, it's a bit risky opposed to getting credit from a store. And by the looks of it he's going to spend the credit at gamestop anyway, not saying you're a con but he was probably playing it safe.

[quote name='naes']GameStop offered him $170 after the bonus. You gave him the exact same offer as GameStop. Thanks.[/quote]

No, actually it was $160 after the bonus, as the employee told me.

[quote name='Visc']No, actually it was $160 after the bonus, as the employee told me.[/quote]
GameStop offers $160 for a Wii and with the $10 bonus, that's $170. I called my GameStop to double check this.

[quote name='naes']GameStop offers $160 for a Wii and with the $10 bonus, that's $170. I called my GameStop to double check this.[/quote]

Then obviously he made a mistake, yet I'm sure some people here will tell me that's my fault too.

[quote name='Visc']Then obviously he made a mistake, yet I'm sure some people here will tell me that's my fault too.[/quote]
So it can't be you that misheard the GameStop employee? Anyone reading this thread, call your GameStop and politely ask what is the trade in price of the Wii. They will quote you $160, as they did for me.

[quote name='KSHLove']if I really wanted it I would've offered him $180 cash or so. And if he denies the offer $160 in gamestop gift credit lol. The only reason I could think of him turning down your offer would be counterfeit money, it's a bit risky opposed to getting credit from a store. And by the looks of it he's going to spend the credit at gamestop anyway, not saying you're a con but he was probably playing it safe.[/quote]

If that really were the case he could have walked the twenty feet with me to the atm and watch me take it out, while asking the GS staff to hold the wii for him. Heck, I'm pretty sure they have those special pens to check for counterfeit money - granted I don't know if those are for $50 and above only.

Like I said though, I've gotten over yesterday's happenings, and I just wanted to vent here, yet I'm surprised that there are people here who think I shouldn't be allowed to do that, yet they have no issues when other people do it.

[quote name='naes']So it can't be you that misheard the GameStop employee? Anyone reading this thread, call your GameStop and politely ask what is the trade in price of the Wii. They will quote you $160, as they did for me.[/quote]

Like I said earlier, when I asked him what they were offering for the system, he told me "we're giving him a total of $160 altogether". At the time he was still testing it, so for all I know he might not have put it in the computer yet so the deal didn't come up yet (I don't know if its standard to test first or put it in the computer first). Honetly, I don't know, but I'm willing to bet they don't get many wii systems brought in. The fact that the guy with the system even said he'd rather take 160 in credit would lead me to believe he didn't know about it either.

[quote name='Visc']I just wanted to vent here, yet I'm surprised that there are people here who think I shouldn't be allowed to do that, yet they have no issues when other people do it.[/QUOTE]

No one said you couldn't vent, but if you're afraid of getting different opinions, then don't post in a public forum.

I'll have to agree with some of the other posters. You were innocent in your dealings but the whole situation comes off like a card-shark/pawn shop inner circle situation. He probably didn't trust it because you were allowed to do it in-store (as no other store will do this and he probably realized you're friends with the guys who work there) and because he probably thought you were trying to move him away from a safe place ("Come on, the ATM is only a few feet away").

On top of that, you only offered him $10 more. If he's gonna be cheated, most would rather be cheated by a business, not some random person.

[quote name='mike.m']Again, not if he has to pay tax with cash on games. Not knowing what state this took place in, I wouldn't know. I wouldn't do it for $10 more if I knew I had to pay tax on more games I wanted. Which is obviously what the guy with the Wii wanted since he was doing store credit.[/quote]
Explain that to all the folks who lost their $$ when their Sharper Image gift cards became useless. Cash in the hand trumps credit.

[quote name='pulsar0510']Explain that to all the folks who lost their $$ when their Sharper Image gift cards became useless. Cash in the hand trumps credit.[/quote]

Good use of current events to prove your point.:applause:

[quote name='pulsar0510']Explain that to all the folks who lost their $$ when their Sharper Image gift cards became useless. Cash in the hand trumps credit.[/quote]

The only time cash is NOT good is when you LOSE it, whereas a credit slip/card/voucher CAN be replaced by searching your name and record in their system. With cash, it's a safe bet when it's gone, it's GONE for good.

And personally, I've never seen ANY Sharper Image stores, cept for maybe in Syracuse area when I was on business up that way, so those gift cards are of no worry to me. Plus, from what I remember, their crap was overpriced anyway.

[quote name='whoknows']Credit does have it's good points, such as you aren't charged tax if you pay with credit. If he knew that then maybe that's why he declined your offer?[/quote]

Where do you live, you lucky bastard? :D

Explain that to...uhh...all of the folks in 1930 Germany...okay, yeah, you're right.

[quote name='pulsar0510']Explain that to all the folks who lost their $$ when their Sharper Image gift cards became useless. Cash in the hand trumps credit.[/QUOTE]

Sharper Image has about 180 stores. Gamestop has over 5,000. That's like saying "OMGZ! McDonald's gift cardz are teh worthlass becuse in my town a hardware store closeded!"

Try again.

I came into this thread, thinking it would be a nice counter to all of the "GameStop sucks" posts and threads. I was sadly mistaken. Most of what I would have liked to say has already been covered, so I'll pass on most of what I would have said. The reality is, your deal was obviously not that great, because the guy passed. I don't see how that makes him stupid. I might be a bit leery of some guy who just pops up in a store and offers to get money from his ATM. How do I know what kind of person you are or what you might try to pull?

bread's done
Back