Sonic 4 : Episode 1 announced!

This thread shouldn't just be in the Microsoft forums. For one thing, not everyone has an xbox. I am going to get this for WiiWare.

[quote name='crunchewy']This thread shouldn't just be in the Microsoft forums. For one thing, not everyone has an xbox. I am going to get this for WiiWare.[/QUOTE]
so post a thread in the other forums.....?

[quote name='Jodou']All I can say is they better have a retail disc.[/QUOTE]

According to the article, download only. Looks freakin' sweet though. Wii and PS3 version will have motion controls, so it looks like I'll be saving my space bucks for this one.

Sonic The Hedgehog 4

93259-5SU0C5T.jpg

Episode 1

93260-XKK2BXT.jpg

Should've known SEGA would find some way to cock this one up.

I don't know, I'm pretty excited. I remember waiting for Sonic 1 to come out back in the day. I worshiped those little screen pics in Megaplay magazine.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I predict that Sega still screws this up somehow.[/QUOTE]
Too late; digital release only.

[quote name='Jodou']Too late; digital release only.[/QUOTE]

It's the only way the game would even get made. It's too high-risk for retail, and retail budgets. It's either this, or it doesn't exist at all. Are you, like, just totally anti-digital distribution or something? I know why people like physical copies, but the fact of the matter is that what works in digital, doesn't always work at retail.

I'm also not going to write it off for being episodic. It could just mean that they're planning on more content than can fit in the Wii's fucking ridiculous 40-megabyte download limit, which, if anything, would be a good thing, I'd think.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It's the only way the game would even get made. It's too high-risk for retail, and retail budgets. It's either this, or it doesn't exist at all. Are you, like, just totally anti-digital distribution or something? I know why people like physical copies, but the fact of the matter is that what works in digital, doesn't always work at retail.[/QUOTE]
I'm not totally against digital distribution, so long as there's a retail solution as well. I just take comfort in having a physical disc in case anything ever happens, plus I'm just old fashioned. Hopefully it does well enough to warrant a retail release, otherwise it will be a $5 Steam sale buy for me.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It's the only way the game would even get made. It's too high-risk for retail, and retail budgets.[/QUOTE]

Wait, you mean I didn't play New Super Mario Bros. Wii yesterday? *mind blown*

Couldn't we have just make a full game rather than multiple episodes? This is great news we are getting a new classic Sonic, but seriously? Multiple episodes?

[quote name='Jodou']I'm not totally against digital distribution, so long as there's a retail solution as well.[/quote]
So, what, do you not think there is a market for DD-only games? Do you have any idea how much retail publishing costs, and how difficult it is to get on the shelves at Best Buy? Yeah, I get why discs are a safety blanket for you or whatever, but the fact of the matter is that many DD games were only made possible, because of DD. Megaman 9 would never have been possible as a retail release. DD game budgets are often so low, that just going through the motions for getting them boxed and on store shelves would exceed the production budget of the actual game, in many cases.

Again, it's either a DD-only Sonic 4, or no Sonic 4 at all. And the notion of a retail release of this game is nonsense. It'll never happen, so, keep dreaming.

Hopefully it does well enough to warrant a retail release, otherwise it will be a $5 Steam sale buy for me.
Steam? WTF are you talking about.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Wait, you mean I didn't play New Super Mario Bros. Wii yesterday? *mind blown*[/QUOTE]

Uh, the difference there being that NSMBWii is a Mario game, which is a series still in outstanding critical (and commercial) standing, and specifically, a follow up to a wildly successful DS game, and Sonic 4 is, well, a Sonic game. Not quite as sure-fire as a new flagship Mario title. Sonic 4 has a lot more to prove, and thus, is too high-risk. DD is the perfect, low-risk solution for Sonic 4.

I saw some photos of this new sonic side by side with the old sonic and it's not that great. you might as well get Sonic genesis collection and call it a night (or day). 20 dollars you have the whole collection, by the time this game comes out, Sonic genesis collection will be even cheaper. I think SEGA wants to do what New super Mario did however the differences between NSM and the any other mario game was that NSM was a complete remake, graphically and gameplay wise.

This is supposed to be Sega's main Mascot; Sonic is worthy of hand drawn graphics, and new animations, and some new gameplay elements.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Steam? WTF are you talking about.[/QUOTE]
Could've sworn they were doing an all platform release; my bad.

Oh well, I'd rather just go play Sonic 2 on emulator than pay for bite-size gameplay anyways.

[quote name='Jodou']Oh well, I'd rather just go play Sonic 2 on emulator than pay for bite-size gameplay anyways.[/QUOTE]

Sonic 2 has, what, 22 levels (depending on how you count it)? And people happily paid $50 for it, back in the day. If "Episode 1" is $10, and has just four levels, it'd be just about as good a value.

Oh my GOD it looks so fucking terrible. It looks like a goddamn fan-made game. Hell, I've seen fangames that look better.

Not that I'm surprised.

I am so over this thing. After Sega releases the XBLA/PSN version of AfterBurner Climax, I seriously just never want to hear about them again after that.

bread's done
Back