Sonic Generations - Play as classic Sonic & modern Sonic. Now available!

[quote name='Dezuria']Seemed fun, but the framerate just ruins it for me. Sonic needs to be 60 fps.[/QUOTE]

So you haven't played a Sonic game since before Sonic Adventure, huh?

Whoops, forgot I ran this thread. Suffice it to say, the demo's pretty awesome and the game itself is a safe buy. I'm probably reviewing it for Co-Optimus, but Sega didn't send us the game early. Nuts.

i actually love modern sonic, its like p laying a low flying airplane sim hehe.

i just think sonic unleashed went wrong with that whole god of war type gameplay when he turned into a werewolf

Avatar Awards thanks to Rhinotronics @ Themexbox.com
classic-eggman-suit-head.png
Classic Eggman Suit (Head) - Defeat the final boss on Hard Mode.
classic-eggman-suit-tops.png
Classic Eggman Suit (Tops) - Defeat all bosses on Hard Mode.
classic-eggman-suit-bottoms.png
Classic Eggman Suit (Bottoms) - Defeat all rivals on Hard Mode.

Thanks for sharing the pics, LinkinPrime! I have to wonder about the unlocking requirements though. I haven't read mention of a Hard mode anywhere else, not even in the WIP Achievement Guide.

EDIT:

Ah, someone explained it for me:
Just select Boss/Rival like normal and it gives you 3 options. Normal, Hard, and Select Music. Just pick Hard an go for it. Freaking Egg Dragoon was a pain in the ass on hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
This game f'n rocks!!! So good. Lots of fun. Even the level selection is fun. Sega nailed it with this one.

Reviews seem generally positive ranging between the 7-8 mark. Can this curse be lifted and we finally get a good Sonic game? It'll be a nice title to pick up a few months down the road. Not that I don't really want to play this but it's going to have to take a back seat for the moment.

I just played the demo... I gotta say, when people said it might be good I thought "well, maybe it's HALF good" since I have not enjoyed any of Sonic's games since Adventure, but I actually did enjoy playing as "modern" Sonic alot in the demo, I think they finally got a good idea of what can make those games fun to play. One thing that makes me hesitant to buy though.... there's voice acting in the cutscenes, right? And all of Sonic's stupid little friends? Is it as god awful as I assume it to be?

BTW when's Sonic CD coming out?

[quote name='iamsmart']I just played the demo... I gotta say, when people said it might be good I thought "well, maybe it's HALF good" since I have not enjoyed any of Sonic's games since Adventure, but I actually did enjoy playing as "modern" Sonic alot in the demo, I think they finally got a good idea of what can make those games fun to play. One thing that makes me hesitant to buy though.... there's voice acting in the cutscenes, right? And all of Sonic's stupid little friends? Is it as god awful as I assume it to be?

BTW when's Sonic CD coming out?[/QUOTE]

Read the reviews, dude (at least the GamesRadar one). They touch on those topics.

Sonic CD is coming in December and I will have an awesome interview with one of the game's producers later this month.

[quote name='iamsmart']I just played the demo... I gotta say, when people said it might be good I thought "well, maybe it's HALF good" since I have not enjoyed any of Sonic's games since Adventure, but I actually did enjoy playing as "modern" Sonic alot in the demo, I think they finally got a good idea of what can make those games fun to play. One thing that makes me hesitant to buy though.... there's voice acting in the cutscenes, right? And all of Sonic's stupid little friends? Is it as god awful as I assume it to be?

BTW when's Sonic CD coming out?[/QUOTE]

You don't play as any of the friends. The cut scenes that I have gotten to are literally about 1-2 minutes when you beat act 1 and 2 of each level. They really have no bearing on anything. The modern ones are actually a s--t ton of fun.

[quote name='Flikman24']Can't blame people for being hesitant to pick it up. The last like 6 sonic games have been just plain awful.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you played Sonic Colors, but it was pretty good. This one blows it out of the water.

I don't even care that much for Sonic anymore because of the quality. This one is good though.

I just got this in the mail today from Gamefly and I'm really looking forward to starting it. I had high hopes for Unleashed but the broken platforming in the Werehog stages combined with the awful world map exploration just forced me to give up on trying to reach more fun daytime levels.

Generations looks like it's finally cut out all of the BS and just focuses on the fun parts that we all love.

Yeah, it's unfortunate how they handled Unleashed with needing to collect the sun/moon medals to access stages, as well as the Werehog while not terrible, wasn't really fun. Just was a roadblock on your way to the fantastic daytime stages.

This game is awesome though. I wish I was still playing it now.

I loooooooove this game!! Just played through the first 3 levels and had a blast! I think you had to have been a fan of the older games to appreciate this.

I played the first 2 zones ducking and mashing A to start a spin dash before I looked at the control menu. Old habits die hard. Loving the game so far, even the modern Sonic stages.

[youtube]PDs42YYmdP0[/youtube]

In the Collections Room, press and hold the Back button for several seconds until you're taken to the hidden Statue Room.

Now enter these passwords to unlock character and item figurines!

1. 204390--Sonic the Hedgehog (Modern)
  2. 171045--Sonic the Hedgehog (Classic)
  3. 632951--Miles "Tails" Prower (Modern)
  4. 359236--Miles "Tails" Prower (Classic)
  5. 863358--Amy Rose
  6. 679417--Knuckles the Echidna
  7. 332955--Cream the Rabbit and Cheese the Chao
  8. 888200--Rouge the Bat
  9. 894526--Espio the Chameleon
  10. 544873--Blaze the Cat
  11. 868377--Vector the Crocodile
  12. 226454--Charmy Bee
  13. 629893--Chao
  14. 870580--Omochao
  15. 613482--Dr. Eggman
  16. 103729--Dr. Robotnik
  17. 277087--Metal Sonic
  18. 262416--Shadow the Hedgehog
  19. 688187--Silver the Hedgehog
  20. 353012--Big the Cat
  21. 601409--E-123 'OMEGA'
  22. 383870--Jet the Hawk
  23. 507376--Hero Chao
  24. 869292--Dark Chao
  25. 309511--Chip
  26. 483990--Moto Bug
  27. 852363--Buzz Bomber
  28. 363911--Crabmeat
  29. 639402--Chopper
  30. 275843--Grabber
  31. 466913--Spiny
  32. 360031--Eggrobo
  33. 640456--Cop Speeder
  34. 530741--Spinner
  35. 668250--G.U.N. Hunter
  36. 975073--G.U.N. Beetle
  37. 125817--Egg Pawn
  38. 872910--Iblis Biter
  39. 513929--Iblis Taker
  40. 711268--Iblis Worm
  41. 851426--Egg Fighter
  42. 973433--Egg Launcher
  43. 329494--Aero-Cannon
  44. 200078--Egg Chaser
  45. 548986--Sandworm
  46. 070178--Spring (Yellow)
  47. 537070--Spring (Red)
  48. 209005--Item Box
  49. 777921--Capsule
  50. 933391--Goal Plate
  51. 283015--Goal Ring
  52. 390884--Ring
  53. 008140--Chaos Emeralds
  54. 495497--Booster
  55. 249651--Cucky/Pucky/Flicky/Pecky
Source: GameFAQS

This game is so fun. Modern feels really good-- a few stages have the perfect blend of platforming and Unleashed style twitch gameplay.
And there are so many nods towards the Sonic series that Sonic fans will love-- musically, this has the best Sonic soundtrack ever. I mean there's even two tracks from Knuckles Chaotix and one from Sonic Spinball.

Also, when you're playing this game, play Classic levels last. The cutscenes with Classic Sonic saving his friends are infinitely better than Modern Sonic's... for instance:
(Classic Sonic saves Knuckles)
Knuckles: Hey, Sonic, have you put on a little weight?
Classic Sonic: (Rubs belly and looks ashamed)
Awesome.
BTW, which Sonic CD producer are you interviewing, OP?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']
BTW, which Sonic CD producer are you interviewing, OP?[/QUOTE]

I agree, the soundtrack is just amazing. :)

EastX will be interviewing Ken Balough. Sega went and let the cat out of the bag about Tails already, but the interview will still have some cool details about how the game got made and what other games might be rereleased in the future.

Yeah, yeah, EastX. I'm on my phone and by the time I mashed away my post, I had a brain fart about your user name.
Pretty cool you're interviewing Balough. I am interested to hear what titles they're considering-- it'd be neat if they were considering giving Sonic 1 a VIP treatment and including Knuckles and Tails as playable characters.

I don't know to be honest.

I just had a major fuck Yes moment when
I raced Metal Sonic for a Chaos Emerald.
Very Nostalgic, Very Cool. Albeit a bit easy, but I never won that in
Sonic CD

The first cutscene looked REALLY blocky for some reason. Everything else has been fine though.

I don't have the game yet, or I would check myself. I still need to wrap up trophy-collecting in All 4 One. Thanks for the fast response regardless.

So I beat it. It's pretty short, but really fun. I didn't really get the final boss though, as it took a long time. However...
16-bit Robotnik

Did you take on the Challenges yet, KingBroly? Skipping them would be a big mistake as they add a lot of playtime and variety, plus they unlock lots of great music and some concept art.

I did what was required. I plan on trying to get under 60 seconds in GHZ Act 1 (I was 7 seconds shy last time). I rented it, so I really had to prioritize what I wanted to play, aka, the main game. I'll probably go back and try the Challenges for GHZ, but I doubt I'll have time for anything else.

I think it'd be best if Sega kinda dulled the background a bit to make the plane you're on a bit easier to see. It becomes a bit of an issue later on. I had the same issue with Unleashed and Colors as well. Visibility in 3D Sonic games always seems to be poor.

Just picked this up for $33. I'm a little rusty with Sonic games but I'm very excited to dust off those skills after seeing all the positive feedback. Since I haven't played it yet I have nothing more to add other than this awesome fan art:

16_fanart_sonicgottagofast.gif
[/IMG]

[quote name='GUNNM']Playing this game makes me wonder what could have been if capcom did something similar with mega man[/QUOTE]

Interesting idea but there really isn't a Mega Man to base a modern era on besides the Battle Network games. Maybe Legends, but we all know how Capcom feels about that. Even Mega Man X still plays very similar to the original. But a cross over of the original & X is a great concept in itself. Sorry to Hijack a Sonic thread with Mega Man.

[quote name='Rodimus']

Interesting idea but there really isn't a Mega Man to base a modern era on besides the Battle Network games. Maybe Legends, but we all know how Capcom feels about that. Even Mega Man X still plays very similar to the original. But a cross over of the original & X is a great concept in itself. Sorry to Hijack a Sonic thread with Mega Man.[/QUOTE]
Well both sonics were sucked up by some time monster shit. Maybe it could explain why MM and Bass are gone from the MM X world.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']What is everyone's favorite zone/act?[/QUOTE]
Crisis City is really awesome for both classic and modern. And the best part is that Sonic the Hedgehog's (2006) is actually justified since the level turned out so good for Generations.

[quote name='GUNNM']Well both sonics were sucked up by some time monster shit. Maybe it could explain why MM and Bass are gone from the MM X world.[/QUOTE]

I read something like Mega Man becomes Quint from the Gameboy games. Gets sent back in time to fight his past self. IDK Maybe it's not cannon.

[quote name='Rodimus']I read something like Mega Man becomes Quint from the Gameboy games. Gets sent back in time to fight his past self. IDK Maybe it's not cannon.[/QUOTE]
wily goes in the future and corrupts mega man in a world where wily is defeated and sends him back to face mega man there is no story as to why bass or MM is absent popular rumor is zero killed them both as he is to replace bass and zero is made by wily

We can chat in profile messages if this chat goes any further

bread's done
Back