Sonic Unleashed Amazon Deals - Various

I hope the reviews start coming in soon...I mean, I'm getting it anyways, but still I'd like to see if this one is received better.

And it looks like the reason the 360/PS3 version were delayed (PS3 more-so) is because of slowdown issues. I really do thank them for taking the time to fix that, it really hurt the last Sonic game.

Well, at least I'd rather have slowdown then a bad frame rate. I can't stand skipping frames-much rather just have it slow down.

[quote name='Wolfpup']

I liked Sonic Advance *1*, but Advance 2 and Rush were crazy hard, and not remotely fun to me.

[/quote]

I had to quote this considering my 6 year old son beat both Advance 2 and Rush by himself. Not saying they weren't hard, I heard him yelling quite a bit at them, but he managed to beat both of them.

Guys give sonic a break. Christ. Sega made ONE bad SOnic game, and it was because they didn't understand PS360's hardware yet. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were top sellers. Nice G rated adventure games backed by great story-lines.

Uh...well nothing wrong with your opinion, but personally I think they've made nothing BUT terrible Sonic games for years, and none of them have ever had anything resembling a story.

Says it won't ship until 12/1. At least I have time to change my mind.

Always willing to give something a shot... and I genuinely like 99% of what Sega publishes...

Edit: Just read a review from the Telegraph in the UK and the main complaints seem to be: (1) You're required to have a certain number of collectibles are you move on (isn't this pretty common in platformers? Mario 64 did this) (2) On stages you have a certain number of lives and then have to start over (okay, so it's got some difficulty?) and (3) The Werehog is fun, but gets repetitive as the stages are sometimes long. If this is what the gripes are, I think I'll be keeping my pre-order.

If anyone else is sitting on some credit like me, the 360 version of Unleashed is 49.99 at Gamestop also. Do the whole schtick where you buy the 360 version of Orange Box and Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga with Cellfire to trade in as part of the trade 2 and get a game for 20 bucks for a game on the list, such as Gears of War 2. Get a gift receipt with it and you can return it for Sonic Unleashed later on. It'll cost you 35ish.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Friend of Sonic']If anyone else is sitting on some credit like me, the 360 version of Unleashed is 49.99 at Gamestop also. Do the whole schtick where you buy the 360 version of Orange Box and Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga with Cellfire and it'll cost you 35ish.[/quote]

But it isn't on the list. Are you suggesting doing the trade 2 + $9.99 deal, and then exchanging the game you get for Sonic? If that isn't what you mean, then I'm missing something.

[quote name='guessed']But it isn't on the list. Are you suggesting doing the trade 2 + $9.99 deal, and then exchanging the game you get for Sonic? If that isn't what you mean, then I'm missing something.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, yeah, I should have mentioned that part. So, it is a bit of trouble, but most of us go into Gamestop on a semi-frequent basis anyway.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Just read a review from the Telegraph in the UK and the main complaints seem to be: (1) You're required to have a certain number of collectibles are you move on (isn't this pretty common in platformers? Mario 64 did this) (2) On stages you have a certain number of lives and then have to start over (okay, so it's got some difficulty?) and (3) The Werehog is fun, but gets repetitive as the stages are sometimes long. If this is what the gripes are, I think I'll be keeping my pre-order.[/quote]

2 + 3 become major problems if you wind up dying at the game's hand. There was certain stages where after the third checkpoint (around 11 minutes into a stage) they would start you off with the camera looking at your front, they would then "launch" Sonic into a running start... doesn't sound to bad when you think about it, but on one particular stage (a broken highway) they would launch you forward towards a rail (you hit it the minute the camera goes to the normal view). If you even so much as tap the control stick while your being launched you will fly over the edge of the highway and die. I wound up getting launch off the level five times and I lost all 11 minutes of my progress into the stage because of a broken camera. Not fun.

I'm a huge Sega fan, but after being burned on both PSU and Sonic, I'm going to hang back and wait for the reviews on this one.

[quote name='Doomstink']I'm a huge Sega fan, but after being burned on both PSU and Sonic, I'm going to hang back and wait for the reviews on this one.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same. SEGA took two great franchies (IMO) - Sonic Adventure 1/2 & Phantasy Star Online - and completely drove them into the ground with nextgen Sonic and PSU. Will wait for reviews as well on this one.

[quote name='Doomstink']2 + 3 become major problems if you wind up dying at the game's hand. There was certain stages where after the third checkpoint (around 11 minutes into a stage) they would start you off with the camera looking at your front, they would then "launch" Sonic into a running start... doesn't sound to bad when you think about it, but on one particular stage (a broken highway) they would launch you forward towards a rail (you hit it the minute the camera goes to the normal view). If you even so much as tap the control stick while your being launched you will fly over the edge of the highway and die. I wound up getting launch off the level five times and I lost all 11 minutes of my progress into the stage because of a broken camera. Not fun.

I'm a huge Sega fan, but after being burned on both PSU and Sonic, I'm going to hang back and wait for the reviews on this one.[/QUOTE]

Pardon my ignorance--- but wasn't what you just said a review? Or was this on a different game? ;-)

[quote name='Ruined']I feel the same. SEGA took two great franchies (IMO) - Sonic Adventure 1/2 & Phantasy Star Online - and completely drove them into the ground with nextgen Sonic and PSU. Will wait for reviews as well on this one.[/QUOTE]

For a lot of us, Sonic Adventure and Phantasy Star Online WERE the games that ran the series into the ground. (Although for the time I actually did enjoy Sonic Adventure 1.)

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']If anyone else is sitting on some credit like me, the 360 version of Unleashed is 49.99 at Gamestop also. Do the whole schtick where you buy the 360 version of Orange Box and Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga with Cellfire to trade in as part of the trade 2 and get a game for 20 bucks for a game on the list, such as Gears of War 2. Get a gift receipt with it and you can return it for Sonic Unleashed later on. It'll cost you 35ish.[/QUOTE]

Could you explain this process in greater detail? I use cellfire.

And to the rest of you. Sonic adventure 1 and 2, were great games weren't they?

Sonic Heroes, now there is a BAD game.

Or do you miss the old fashioned fast paced running sonic games???

Well looks like the sonic cycle is still going strong. Reviews are pouring in and as expected, hopes of "Sonic's triumphant return" are dashed once again. The game is bad across all platforms.

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/B2697618-AAD1-425F-91B5-3B3B5C9819F4.htm
http://wii.ign.com/articles/931/931596p1.html
http://www.gameinformer.com/Games/Review/200901/R08.1118.1718.47190.htm

Well I guess we can be happy that the game is bad instead of being awful like its overhyped predecessor Sonic the Hedgehog reboot.

2uptp20.png

[quote name='rumblebear']Well looks like the sonic cycle is still going strong. Reviews are pouring in and as expected, hopes of "Sonic's triumphant return" are dashed once again. The game is bad across all platforms.

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/B2697618-AAD1-425F-91B5-3B3B5C9819F4.htm
http://wii.ign.com/articles/931/931596p1.html
http://www.gameinformer.com/Games/Review/200901/R08.1118.1718.47190.htm

Well I guess we can be happy that the game is bad instead of being awful like its overhyped predecessor Sonic the Hedgehog reboot. [/QUOTE]
Those reviews aren't that bad. In the IGN review, the guy says that he really loved the daytime levels. 7.2 isn't bad at all compared to what the last Sonic game got :p

Yeah, I was expecting this game to get in the 7s. Glad I was right. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with a 7 game. It's a foundation for them to build on and improve for the sequel.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yeah, I was expecting this game to get in the 7s. Glad I was right. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with a 7 game. It's a foundation for them to build on and improve for the sequel.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. Don't really see horrible reviews yet.

Darn those night time levels. 7s aren't enough to make me bite. Too much already to keep me occupied. I just really wanted Sonic to make a come back. They've had so much time, and so many sequels, to improve, I can't help but wonder if they'll ever get it right.

Anybody get the email with the new date for the 360 version?

"Sonic Unleashed" [Video Game]
Release date: 11/24/2008
Estimated arrival date: 12/08/2008 - 12/12/2008

[quote name='rumblebear']Well looks like the sonic cycle is still going strong. Reviews are pouring in and as expected, hopes of "Sonic's triumphant return" are dashed once again. The game is bad across all platforms.
[/quote]

The moment they said the words werehog and Dimps is when this game stopped becoming "Sonic's triumphant return".

[quote name='WhiteCrane']
And to the rest of you. Sonic adventure 1 and 2, were great games weren't they?

Sonic Heroes, now there is a BAD game. [/quote]

I liked both Adventure 1 and Heroes. A lot actually (not so much Adventure 2). I 100% Adventure last week, so I know its not nostalgia; my main gripes being the glitches and Big's suck ass fishing.

I like where this thread is headed. This board is long over due for a Sonic discussion. So how about that deal?

Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked Heroes. Sonic Heroes took the very important step backwards (which was a step forwards in itself) was taking Sonic back to the non-human world and focusing on creating terrific stages. It really felt like they looked at the roots of the Sonic series and created something that we would like.
And... thecameraandvoiceactingwasshitty. But Sonic Heroes was overal very good!

I wouldn't toss this game away yet.

Anyone who has played the last three sonic iterations (Shadow, Sonic 2006, and Secret Rings) knows what to expect how bad these games can be.

Already, this one outshines the previous three.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']The moment they said the words werehog and Dimps is when this game stopped becoming "Sonic's triumphant return".[/quote]

Dimps only worked on the daytime sections of the Wii version. You can thank Sonic Team for the rest of the game.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked Heroes. Sonic Heroes took the very important step backwards (which was a step forwards in itself) was taking Sonic back to the non-human world and focusing on creating terrific stages. It really felt like they looked at the roots of the Sonic series and created something that we would like.
And... thecameraandvoiceactingwasshitty. But Sonic Heroes was overal very good![/quote]

Yes. I'm surprised most people don't see this. Still had Adventure-type flaws of camera and stupid deaths, but it wasn't the shit fest most people make it out to be.

[quote name='Shady3011']Dimps only worked on the daytime sections of the Wii version. You can thank Sonic Team for the rest of the game.[/quote]

Yup, my beef is with the daytime levels. There was an interview somewhere about this game in which half of what lead designer has to say epitomizes what I think is wrong with this series.

I grabbed it on PS2 yesterday, because I'm too impatient to wait for the PS3 version (still getting that though), and it's not a bad game at all. It has mild adventuring aspects, but the daytime levels really are awesome.

There have been more night time than daytime levels right now, which is disappointing, but the night time levels aren't terrible. They play like a not half bad beat em up. Not something that belongs in a Sonic game really, but not something that's terrible either.

Yeah, I agree with the other people. Sonic Team really has no concept of how to do a Sonic team, mostly because just about everyone in Sonic Team involved in Sonic originally is gone. The hate on Dimps is unwarranted because they, at the very least, do something average, if not legitimately good (those being Sonic Advance 1 and Sonic Rush, and as we've seen the Daytime portions)

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']This is a pretty bad deal, because no matter what the price is, you're still getting a Sonic game.[/QUOTE]
Lololololololol u sure showed them coffeedge

Does Amazon have a different action figure to give away or is only TRU doing that? (And can you buy other figures or is Were Sonic the only one being produced at all?)

[quote name='soonersfan60']Does Amazon have a different action figure to give away or is only TRU doing that? (And can you buy other figures or is Were Sonic the only one being produced at all?)[/QUOTE]

Amazon doesn't say anything about a figure...

I'm surprised a people did like Heroes. I just didn't like the whole 3 characters at once thing. Maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance.

I LOVE Heroes. I save it and Terminator until after I finish my other shows though (since I love them best), but the only real issue I've had with the series so far was just because of the writer's strike, where they built up all this setup and then sort of just had to blow it all real fast (except maybe not, based on what just happened at the end of the season 3 episode I'm on).

Still can't believe we get a full blown real super hero show on network TV! (Or Terminator, or...)

[quote name='Wolfpup']I LOVE Heroes. I save it and Terminator until after I finish my other shows though (since I love them best), but the only real issue I've had with the series so far was just because of the writer's strike, where they built up all this setup and then sort of just had to blow it all real fast (except maybe not, based on what just happened at the end of the season 3 episode I'm on).

Still can't believe we get a full blown real super hero show on network TV! (Or Terminator, or...)[/quote]

lol for this being a joke, or serious.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I LOVE Heroes. I save it and Terminator until after I finish my other shows though (since I love them best), but the only real issue I've had with the series so far was just because of the writer's strike, where they built up all this setup and then sort of just had to blow it all real fast (except maybe not, based on what just happened at the end of the season 3 episode I'm on).

Still can't believe we get a full blown real super hero show on network TV! (Or Terminator, or...)[/QUOTE]

I think they were talking about Sonic Heroes...

Not paying for another Sonic game until Sonic 4 comes out.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yeah, I agree with the other people. Sonic Team really has no concept of how to do a Sonic team, mostly because just about everyone in Sonic Team involved in Sonic originally is gone. The hate on Dimps is unwarranted because they, at the very least, do something average, if not legitimately good (those being Sonic Advance 1 and Sonic Rush, and as we've seen the Daytime portions)[/quote]

What? Sonic Rush 1 and 2 were really good games.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Not paying for another Sonic game until Sonic 4 comes out.

What? Sonic Rush 1 and 2 were really good games.[/QUOTE]
That's what I meant. Sonic Rush and Sonic Advance 1 were the legitimately good Sonic games made by Dimps. I've yet to check out Sonic Rush Adventure, though.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']That's what I meant. Sonic Rush and Sonic Advance 1 were the legitimately good Sonic games made by Dimps. I've yet to check out Sonic Rush Adventure, though.[/quote]

I'd say they're much better than average for a Sonic game.. or for any 2D platformer really... As someone possessing the nick "Friend of Sonic", I would absolutely recommend Sonic Rush Adventure. :bouncy:

[quote name='i4ybrid']*sigh* I had my hopes for this game as high as I have for Prince of Persia...[/QUOTE]

LOL, why? Have you either not played any console Sonic game from the last 8 years, or had you simply not read anything about this mess?

I knew this would be shit as soon as the "werehog" thing came up...which was one of the first things announced about the game, so...

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']LOL, why? Have you either not played any console Sonic game from the last 8 years, or had you simply not read anything about this mess?

I knew this would be shit as soon as the "werehog" thing came up...which was one of the first things announced about the game, so...[/QUOTE]

I didn't know about the werehog stuff until I read the review. I only heard from my friends it was a game going back to basics. I thought it'd be a game of just 'daytime' stages, where I would definitely pay $45 to buy.

[quote name='i4ybrid']I didn't know about the werehog stuff until I read the review. I only heard from my friends it was a game going back to basics.[/QUOTE]
I'd be careful about getting your gaming info from these friends of yours...

Everyone should keep in mind that the PS2/Wii Versions are not using their new Hedgehog Engine (so it's essentially not the same game). I bit on the deal (for 360) after reading the hardest of the hardcore fans at Sonic Retro saying they liked the 360 version overall. They're generally accurate, hating on anything post-SA2 (or anything since the Genesis for some!)

Also, do you have to use the promo code for the $10 future game credit? I saw no mention of the credit anywhere during the order process.

bread's done
Back