Sony 24" Playstation 3D Display (Manufacturer Refurbished) - $129.99 - Groupon

Hey guys

id never shop there again but who am I to stop others though I can say I recommend groupon as they have a lot of DOA, but these are DOA to begin with so if they are refurbished and working should be fine, I mean groupon cant break it twice before changing hands can they? (....well maybe lol)

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-playstation-3d-display-1

It still is the best sony display IMHO if you are lucky to get a good one that lasts

(Posted this in the Newegg thread for this item as well)

How are these for playing retro games, like Virtual Console for instance, or (if you prefer) modern twitchy kind of games?

I have a 2008 or 2007 or something Sony Bravia 720P which you think would be fine for whatever, but it LAGS like crazy, way worse than the Wii U Gamepad, and makes retro games impossible and probably affects modern games too (Mario Kart? who knows).

I'd love to be able to play my retro games I have on Virtual Console and PS3. This is cheap and seems like a good solution.
I've used mine just about every night for the last 2+ years and love it.

I have a PS3, a Wii U, and a PC all connected to it and I play a pretty steady mix of old school, as well as new games on it and it performs very well IMO. The only thing I ever notice is a very slight ghosting when playing a game which scrolls horizontally at high speeds. Sonic the Hedgehog comes to mind, but it does this on every LED HDTV panel I've ever seen. I notice no lag and I play a lot of twitch games.

I bought it for $200 originally, then I bought a second backup unit after hearing all of the horror stories, but I ended up letting my brother borrow the second one, 2+ years later and they are both perfect.
If you want a little piece of mind you may consider buying a cheap Square Trade warranty to cover manufacture defects. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this display for the price. In fact I have already recommended it dozens of times. :p

I originally purchased a $300 Samsung 22" for gaming since I game from bed with the display very close. I was very disappointed with the Samsung 22" and I normally love Samsung. We own 2 other 55" HDTV displays which are great. The color was very yellow and the contrast was poor. Swapping that for the PS 3D Display was the best choice I've made.

If you are into 3D you are in for a great viewing experience. I bought it thinking I would never use the 3D part at all, but after trying Super Stardust HD and Wipeout HD in stereoscopic 3D I was blown away! I found myself searching out all of the 3D supported games, there are over 100, and even buying 3D BluRay movies. It's been really fun and enjoyable watching & playing 3D content on this thing.

Anyway, here's a mini review I've made for my website with pros and cons. I hope some of this helps in your decision.

Pros:
The picture quality is excellent.
I recently bought a new Samsung HDMI and the colors were so inaccurate that I had to return it.
This is nearly perfect right out of the box!

This will impress in both 2D and 3D.

The display has great colors and contrast, nice and even coverage.

It's LED so it uses very little wattage and has truer whites and improved contrast.

24" display is perfect for a personal display or small room, but don't expect to have this fill a huge living room. You'd probably want a 42" or larger model for that.

The build quality appears to be excellent. Much sturdier than recent LED displays of late.
It's very much a PlayStation style product. If you love the looks of a PSP or Vita you will love the looks of this.

Cons:
There are very few cons, but here they are:

1. It's a high gloss screen. It looks amazing in low light situations, but I think you would see a lot of reflecting otherwise. I use this display mostly at night so it's perfect.

2. Reading through the reviews on this display can be scary. There are quite a lot of dying or burned out models it seems. It's only been a couple weeks so I can't really say either way.* If something happens I will be sure to report back and edit this review.

My recommendation would be to buy a warranty with it. I was able to buy a 4 year Square Trade warranty for only $20 (look for a coupon!).

3. The speakers are not that great, but it's like this with pretty much every LCD/LED display. They are better than most in this size class though.

4. The 3D glasses are very snug on the back of your head. This may bother some people.

Other Thoughts: For the price you would be hard pressed to find another 24" 3D LED display of this quality. Let alone receive a free game (Motorstorm Apocalypse), HDMI cable, and 3D glasses. It's a heck of a deal!

"PRO-TIP" #2: For those of you who would rather wall mount this display, here are the specs:
200mm x 100mm VESA mount holes. You may need an adapter if you wish to use an existing mount with older VESA standard.

*UPDATE #1 (03-10-2013) 8 Months of nearly nightly gaming on this display and it's still running like a champ.
*UPDATE #2 (08-12-2014) 25 Months of nearly nightly gaming and it's still running perfectly!
*UPDATE #3 (06-12-2015) 35 months and it's still a champion! No issues or problems encountered.

[...]
You sold me! Going to grab it.

Now, what's the difference between getting it from Groupon or getting it from Newegg? I kind of trust Newegg more, and it's cheaper from Newegg ($120) with free shipping and I think no sales tax.

The lady of the house is not thrilled that I am replacing a 32" TV with a 24" one, but this is going to be way better...

Last edited by a moderator:
You sold me! Going to grab it.

Now, what's the difference between getting it from Groupon or getting it from Newegg? I kind of trust Newegg more, and it's cheaper from Newegg ($120) with free shipping and I think no sales tax.

The lady of the house is not thrilled that I am replacing a 32" TV with a 24" one, but this is going to be way better...
Cool! I'm sure you will enjoy it. :)

I'm actually not all that familiar with buying from Groupon.
You may want to go with Newegg, if the price is similar? They have a decent return policy.

Cool! I'm sure you will enjoy it. :)
I'm actually not all that familiar with buying from Groupon.
You may want to go with Newegg, if the price is similar? They have a decent return policy.
Yep, went with Newegg. $120, no tax, free shipping, and yep, 30 day return policy, so if anything goes wrong, I think they pay the shipping to return or exchange. I'm really excited!!!! Been waiting forever to have a TV that's actually good for gaming! Holy crap. So excited. The lady says it's too small for the living room, so I am going to put it in the study. I can run my powerful (but tiny) laptop through it and finally see the screen, and hook up all my systems in there. Man oh man! Guess I should have bought one long ago when they were $100 :p

I have a PS3, a Wii U, and a PC all connected to it and I play a pretty steady mix of old school, as well as new games on it and it performs very well IMO. The only thing I ever notice is a very slight ghosting when playing a game which scrolls horizontally at high speeds. Sonic the Hedgehog comes to mind, but it does this on every LED HDTV panel I've ever seen. I notice no lag and I play a lot of twitch games.

I bought it for $200 originally, then I bought a second backup unit after hearing all of the horror stories, but I ended up letting my brother borrow the second one, 2+ years later and they are both perfect.
If you want a little piece of mind you may consider buying a cheap Square Trade warranty to cover manufacture defects. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this display for the price. In fact I have already recommended it dozens of times. :p

I originally purchased a $300 Samsung 22" for gaming since I game from bed with the display very close. I was very disappointed with the Samsung 22" and I normally love Samsung. We own 2 other 55" HDTV displays which are great. The color was very yellow and the contrast was poor. Swapping that for the PS 3D Display was the best choice I've made.

If you are into 3D you are in for a great viewing experience. I bought it thinking I would never use the 3D part at all, but after trying Super Stardust HD and Wipeout HD in stereoscopic 3D I was blown away! I found myself searching out all of the 3D supported games, there are over 100, and even buying 3D BluRay movies. It's been really fun and enjoyable watching & playing 3D content on this thing.

Anyway, here's a mini review I've made for my website with pros and cons. I hope some of this helps in your decision.

Pros:
The picture quality is excellent.
I recently bought a new Samsung HDMI and the colors were so inaccurate that I had to return it.
This is nearly perfect right out of the box!

This will impress in both 2D and 3D.

The display has great colors and contrast, nice and even coverage.

It's LED so it uses very little wattage and has truer whites and improved contrast.

24" display is perfect for a personal display or small room, but don't expect to have this fill a huge living room. You'd probably want a 42" or larger model for that.

The build quality appears to be excellent. Much sturdier than recent LED displays of late.
It's very much a PlayStation style product. If you love the looks of a PSP or Vita you will love the looks of this.

Cons:
There are very few cons, but here they are:

1. It's a high gloss screen. It looks amazing in low light situations, but I think you would see a lot of reflecting otherwise. I use this display mostly at night so it's perfect.

2. Reading through the reviews on this display can be scary. There are quite a lot of dying or burned out models it seems. It's only been a couple weeks so I can't really say either way.* If something happens I will be sure to report back and edit this review.

My recommendation would be to buy a warranty with it. I was able to buy a 4 year Square Trade warranty for only $20 (look for a coupon!).

3. The speakers are not that great, but it's like this with pretty much every LCD/LED display. They are better than most in this size class though.

4. The 3D glasses are very snug on the back of your head. This may bother some people.

Other Thoughts: For the price you would be hard pressed to find another 24" 3D LED display of this quality. Let alone receive a free game (Motorstorm Apocalypse), HDMI cable, and 3D glasses. It's a heck of a deal!

"PRO-TIP" #2: For those of you who would rather wall mount this display, here are the specs:
200mm x 100mm VESA mount holes. You may need an adapter if you wish to use an existing mount with older VESA standard.

*UPDATE #1 (03-10-2013) 8 Months of nearly nightly gaming on this display and it's still running like a champ.
*UPDATE #2 (08-12-2014) 25 Months of nearly nightly gaming and it's still running perfectly!
*UPDATE #3 (06-12-2015) 35 months and it's still a champion! No issues or problems encountered.
OUTSTANDING review
I concur
It's still the best 3D display/tv I've seen from HDMI
(As I said the Asus with dual dvi is remarkable but 5x price and HDMI 3D isn't as good or as bright as or with Sony PS3 )

Dude if it breaks after 30 days, your probably partly to blame, so buy the warranty, only few bucks
Sounds like if it were going to break, it would be within the first 30 days, and it doesn't sound like these refurbs break any more than a normal product (unlike the high failure rate of them when they were new). It also has a 90 day Sony warranty.

I don't know if I'll even be using it a year from now. If I move to a different continent, I doubt I'll be taking it with me. :( But maybe I can save it in the box at one of my parents' houses just in case ;'(

Dude, as a Sony fan, and considering what you get and what it costs these days, this is not only the best display in terms of quality and features and price but it's the only 3D built by and for Sony PS3...and it's worth every penny, in fact, I'd go so far as to say these are definitely worth 1.5x the price OR plus the extended warranty

Yes, if it doesn't break within 30 days, you gotta keeper

Dude, as a Sony fan, and considering what you get and what it costs these days, this is not only the best display in terms of quality and features and price but it's the only 3D built by and for Sony PS3...and it's worth every penny, in fact, I'd go so far as to say these are definitely worth 1.5x the price OR plus the extended warranty

Yes, if it doesn't break within 30 days, you gotta keeper
Out of stock on Newegg now! I'm so glad I ordered one. I don't get excited very often in life anymore (sad truth), but I am really excited about this.

I have two of these displays set up for my PC, plus I have an Xbox One hooked into one and a 360 hooked into the other. I love these displays. The original one I got does the black screen 1-2 second thing once in a while. It's not too bad. The other is a referb unit that I think I got for $99 at Microcenter a couple years ago. That one has never had a black screen or anything else wrong with it. I'm tempted to pick up a third just to have a back up should something go wrong with one of them. Last time I looked I couldn't find a similar display with speakers built in, and two HDMI inputs for under $200. So it seems like a good deal to me. At least until there is some similar 4K monitor at that price.

picked up 1 about a month ago from a diff site same price only a 14 day warranty.  I got the SqTrade warranty.  the unit died on day 19.  SqTrade said I had to wait the 41 days (total of 60days) before they would deal with it.  spoke with store manager and they switched it out. I just got it today.  Yes this unit very nice and I would deff pick up another.  using with my gaming system and monitor at work.  I love it!!!

Mine came in today. Haven't had to much time to play with it, but this thing is sleek and looks good. Powered on no problem. Will play around with it more tonight.

I got mine maybe 2-3 days ago.  So far I've only used it as a computer monitor, but I LOVE IT.  I love my setup now, with my tiny, whisper-quiet (but powerful and fast) laptop plugged into it.  I haven't plugged any game systems in yet (need to wrest them from the living room TV).

I did a lag test with the monitor vs. the screen on my laptop that I have plugged into it, and it seems like it is even faster than the advertised 4ms response time.  I don't think I'll have any issue playing retro games on this.  It has less lag than the Wii U gamepad, in fact.  I'm jazzed.

So glad you folks convinced me to buy this.

x-posted (Newegg thread and Groupon thread)

I got mine maybe 2-3 days ago. So far I've only used it as a computer monitor, but I LOVE IT. I love my setup now, with my tiny, whisper-quiet (but powerful and fast) laptop plugged into it. I haven't plugged any game systems in yet (need to wrest them from the living room TV).

I did a lag test with the monitor vs. the screen on my laptop that I have plugged into it, and it seems like it is even faster than the advertised 4ms response time. I don't think I'll have any issue playing retro games on this. It has less lag than the Wii U gamepad, in fact. I'm jazzed.

So glad you folks convinced me to buy this.

x-posted (Newegg thread and Groupon thread)
Np I'm glad you enjoy it ;)

Np I'm glad you enjoy it ;)
When I'm not at home, I think about coming home to it. When I'm at home and in a different room, I think about it. I haven't been this excited about a physical object in quite some time.

Should also have mentioned it works perfectly so far (and I expect it will continue to--the refurbished ones seem pretty rock solid to me)

Same thing happened to me when I finally got my working refurb

My threads around ranting on the subject as I bought it when they had the $4/500 bby special and I really was ecstatic having excellent 3D gaming at that time: UC3, KZ3, BO2, etc....and it was my bday gift ON my bday

There are quite a few great 3D games that are overlooked like socom and resistance 3, but the 3 above are the best

[fast pace FPS like COD isn't good for 3D, but action adventure, 3rd person perspective shooters, etc are AMAZING. (The simulview is cool too)]

The picture on this thing is absolutely stunning. Only thing so far is every time I go to the store on my ps3 it loses its signal and doesn't come back. Might be a hdmi cable issue but never had this problem with my other monitor.

Edit: looks to be doing it when I start a game too... Will have try different cables and remove the soundbar from the equation to see if that fixes anything

The picture on this thing is absolutely stunning. Only thing so far is every time I go to the store on my ps3 it loses its signal and doesn't come back. Might be a hdmi cable issue but never had this problem with my other monitor
Does it have to switch resolutions when it goes to the store? Is it switching from 1080p to 720p or something? Troubling, either way...

Does it have to switch resolutions when it goes to the store? Is it switching from 1080p to 720p or something? Troubling, either way...
I think that could be part of the problem. Just tried a direct connection from ps3 to the monitor and it appears to be working now. Annoying that it doesn't like the sound bar. Going to try turning the hdmi control setting off and see if that fixes anything with the sound bar.

I got mine maybe 2-3 days ago. So far I've only used it as a computer monitor, but I LOVE IT.

<snip>
Did you buy the extended replacement plan with yours? I was going to buy through Groupon but Newegg has them back in stock at the sale price so I would rather buy through them. Wasn't sure if the replacement plan was necessary.

Another question for anyone - I have some Panasonic glasses that came with a 3D plasma TV. Will they work or do you have to use the Sony 3D glasses that were originally packaged with this monitor?

Did you buy the extended replacement plan with yours? I was going to buy through Groupon but Newegg has them back in stock at the sale price so I would rather buy through them. Wasn't sure if the replacement plan was necessary.
Can't help on the glasses (probably will never used mine for 3D).

I did not get the replacement plan. My thinking was that these are refurbished and should be totally fine, and if not, I have 30 days from Newegg and 90 from Sony. However, if yours craps out in 31 days or 91 days or something, you might not be too happy with me. :)

Can't help on the glasses (probably will never used mine for 3D).

I did not get the replacement plan. My thinking was that these are refurbished and should be totally fine, and if not, I have 30 days from Newegg and 90 from Sony. However, if yours craps out in 31 days or 91 days or something, you might not be too happy with me. :)
I wouldn't blame you. At least not to your face. :D

My plan is to use this for PC and PS3 gaming but I borrow 3D movies on occasion so wouldn't mind having that option too. Most likely I would watch them on a bigger TV though.

I guess I better decide on the replacement plan before they sell out again!

I think his is blinking and not coming back, though. :/ Sounds like something in the signal chain to me.
Yeah it would do the normal ps3 flicker but the image never comes back. I tried different hdmi cables and got it to the point where the image would come back but then I would get random static screens every few minutes while playing. I have the ps3 plugged into the sound bar then a hdmi going to the monitor from the sound bar. When I plug the ps3 directly into the monitor it works fine, so not really sure what the issue is. Tried running a 3.5 cord from the monitor to the sound bar but the audio wasn't great. May try digital out from the ps3 as the solution.

Not really sure why it doesn't like the soundbar, my Asus monitor does just fine with the same setup. I'm going to try xb1, pstv, etc to see if I have any issues with those. Might just have trouble regaining the picture when the ps3 cuts out when the hdmi is split through the soundbar I guess.

Edit: You're right, good call chrislisting

As for the 3D glasses question:
Q: Will other 3D glasses work with the PlayStation 3D Display?

A: Active-Shutter glasses used with Sony Bravia TVs will work with the PlayStation 3D Display to view 3D content. However, they WILL NOT work with SimulView content. The glasses included with the 3D Display are designed to work with a variety of displays from other manufacturers, but glasses from other manufacturers are not supported for use with the PlayStation 3D Display.

This is not a deal and has been cheaper numerous times.

There are much better monitors/TVs in the price range with better response time/input lag anyway. 3D has been all but abandoned so don't consider it much of an incentive.
3D is worth having just for "Cave Of Forgotten Dreams".

Anyone buying that Blu-ray in 2D is missing the point of why you must see it in 3D.

Also, I may buy this for the 3D someday to watch Tron in 3D.

The problem is most use 3D as a gimmick. Tron uses 3D to serve as a drastic contrast as when Sam is in the real world the movie is presented in 2D. Cave is 3D to replicate the feeling of walking through that cave since there is no way the French government will let you walk through that cave short of being a millionaire or billionaire who bribes the government for that privilege.

That being said, for Cave a 3D projector would best serve that immersion effect.

3D is worth having just for "Cave Of Forgotten Dreams".

Anyone buying that Blu-ray in 2D is missing the point of why you must see it in 3D.

Also, I may buy this for the 3D someday to watch Tron in 3D.

The problem is most use 3D as a gimmick. Tron uses 3D to serve as a drastic contrast as when Sam is in the real world the movie is presented in 2D. Cave is 3D to replicate the feeling of walking through that cave since there is no way the French government will let you walk through that cave short of being a millionaire or billionaire who bribes the government for that privilege.

That being said, for Cave a 3D projector would best serve that immersion effect.
+1 Trons amazing must see

What the heck does the HDMI Control setting do?
I think that is the setting that has something to do with the display "detecting" a signal and turning on the display automatically when it finds one, then turning it off automatically when the signal is lost.

I'd suggest not turning it on at all, as I believe it was the culprit for a lot of the screen freezing and flickering problems that have been reported with this display.

Just use the darn power button. It's easy to get to.

[quote name="Richard B. Riddick" post="12775741" timestamp="1435619592"]I bought mine on a black friday 2012 for $100 plus $7 shipping at bestbuy The display is still working as the first day I used, only with some flashlights (black ones for around like 1-2 seconds). It has the Best sound I ever heard for a tv.
Still 150 right now for a display that has a high percentage of malfunction is still expensive.
I heard people that the display only worked like 1 month[/quote]
Same here and mine still works great

Got mine today. It looks great. Let's see how long it lasts. Any one who has one and wants to share settings that would be great. Thanks oin advance. 

Dare to share your picture settings?
I think with these type of displays each one will look different even with the same settings. You need to get something that allows you to optimize your particular set. I used a blu ray deal off of amazon that has different tests that you adjust your setting until it looks right.

I think with these type of displays each one will look different even with the same settings. You need to get something that allows you to optimize your particular set. I used a blu ray deal off of amazon that has different tests that you adjust your setting until it looks right.
Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B0045ASBLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437526875&sr=8-1&keywords=disney+wow&pebp=1437526872421&perid=1NNNMD5142X5DWSHKCF9

bread's done
Back