Sony 24" Playstation 3D Display (Manufacturer Refurbished) - $129.99 - Groupon

Hey guys

id never shop there again but who am I to stop others though I can say I recommend groupon as they have a lot of DOA, but these are DOA to begin with so if they are refurbished and working should be fine, I mean groupon cant break it twice before changing hands can they? (....well maybe lol)

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-playstation-3d-display-1

It still is the best sony display IMHO if you are lucky to get a good one that lasts

What the heck does the HDMI Control setting do?
It's basic CEC type stuff. If you have a Sony remote, or Harmony remote + Sony code (I use a Sony Sega code with it) you can do stuff like move around on the PS3 XMB with your TV remote. It's nothing ground breaking, but it's convenient if you want to launch and control a Blu-Ray with your universal remote.

Also, a tip from my 3+ year experience with the PS 3D Display, you might want to keep a dust cover on it when it's not in use. I've started to notice some dust particles behind the glass. Not a ton or anything, but it's noticeable during the daytime when direct light is hitting it. I'd like to look into how I can remove the front glass and safely keep it. It's been working so well that I hate to mess with it.

Oh, and if you guys want to see some really cool pop-out 3D effects you can do this right from the PS3 YouTube app. Just search for "Pop-out 3D SBS" and switch the 3D to "Side by Side 3D" on the display.
There is one of a snake that comes out of the screen by about a foot or so! :)

Couple questions regarding 3D in general.

1.I got 47in passive 3D TV, and 3D depth experiences haven't been that great(noticeable, but not really eyepopping). Will Sony display offer more eye-popping experience compare to mine? If so, is it due to closer viewing distance+active 3d? 

2.I wear glasses. Will Sony's active glasses fit on top of my glasses? Is it even possible(with discomforts)?

I got 3D blurays and couple 3D PS3 games, and I think I wanna re-experience them in better 3D, since many TV manufacturers stopped making passive 3D TVs. I might even buy 4k 3D in the future, but price's too high right now.

Couple questions regarding 3D in general.
1.I got 47in passive 3D TV, and 3D depth experiences haven't been that great(noticeable, but not really eyepopping). Will Sony display offer more eye-popping experience compare to mine? If so, is it due to closer viewing distance+active 3d?
2.I wear glasses. Will Sony's active glasses fit on top of my glasses? Is it even possible(with discomforts)?

I got 3D blurays and couple 3D PS3 games, and I think I wanna re-experience them in better 3D, since many TV manufacturers stopped making passive 3D TVs. I might even buy 4k 3D in the future, but price's too high right now.
I think the 3D effect can be very impressive, but that is heavily dependent on the source material.
I've noticed most live action 3D movies don't use many "pop-out" style effects because they tend to look obvious or gimmicky, but that's the type of 3D that looks amazing IMO. I want to see things which look like they are sticking way out of my display!

As far as the most impressive 3D content I would recommend the following:

Games:
MotorStorm Apocalypse - A really great looking game which has nice depth in 3D.
Super Stardust HD - The 3D pop out effect when you ship blows up looks incredible!
WipeOut HD - The simple, futuristic style graphics pop in 3D. I wish I was better at it. ;)
Uncharted 3 - An amazing game which is even more incredible in 3D.
Zen Pinball - There are a ton of tables to choose from and most look very nice in 3D.

Video:
(Again, I am more into the pop-out 3D effects where it looks like parts of the picture are coming out of your display. That being said, here's what I would recommend.

IMAX Under the Sea - Tons of fish swim out of your screen and right in front of your face. There are also scenes where the bubbles are extending out of the screen by about 50%, giving the viewer a really nice sense of depth.. A very cool way to show off the technology!

Rio 3D - Very impressive 3D and a lot of eye catching scenes.

Creature from the Black Lagoon - I love those gimmicky 3D effects, and it's a nice classic monster movie to boot.

Open Season 3D - A nice combination of pop out and screen depth (pop in) effects flow seamlessly. It's clear they have a great understanding of 3D technology. The scene with the rain drops should be in every 3D tech demo!

There is also a new compilation of old stereoscopic 3D films dating back to the first ever uses of it. The disc is called '3D Rarities', and judging by reviews, it has some of the best examples of 3D ever released. I'm still waiting on a review copy though so I can't give you my personal thoughts on it just yet.

As I mentioned above, I would go to YouTube and search for "pop-out 3D SBS". Many of the best effects have been combined and uploaded here. There is one I've seen over and over of a snake which comes out of the screen and looks really cool! YouTube 3D looks great on the Sony Display when set to "Side by side 3D".

I can't really speak about my own experiences between active shutter and passive 3D, because I've only used the latter, but this explains it well.
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/active-shutter-vs-passive-3d-tv-which-is-best-958717

It seems that active 3D has a smoother, less jaggy looking picture, but some people might be sensitive to flicker.
I don't personally see any flicker, but I do feel a little strain on my eyes after a while. I have to take breaks after about 30 minutes or so.

Oh, and I also wear regular glasses under the Sony glasses. It allows for enough room and isn't a problem.
I don't really like having to wear two sets of glasses, but what else are we going to do? :p

I see 3D as an occasional medium. I wouldn't want to use it all the time, but I do enjoy it from time to time. My next TV, either a 4k, or 8k, if I can hold out, will most definitely have the 3D option.

I picked one of these up via Newegg. I had it for two problem free weeks before it got the "blinking red light of death". I have it going back to Newegg for an exchange. Hopefully the replacement works better as I really like the monitor.

I picked one of these up via Newegg. I had it for two problem free weeks before it got the "blinking red light of death". I have it going back to Newegg for an exchange. Hopefully the replacement works better as I really like the monitor.
Oh no! Was yours new or refurbished? I was hoping the refurbished units wouldn't have this problem. I guess I should have gotten that extra warranty.

Mine was refurbished. I bought the extra warranty too, but luckily it went tits up during Newegg's return window. Let's hope the next one I get is good to go.

anyone found any good calibration posts/settings for this tv btw? Im dusting mine off to actually use it after having it for years and would like to look at some suggested setings

I really liked mine
I liked mine too, until it died. Looks like Newegg is refunding me as they are all out of these monitors. Ah well, at least I didn't get entirely burned a year down the road. I should've known better after reading all the reviews. Still disappointing as now I've been spoiled and want a new monitor. :)

I hope these work out better for you guys.

is there anything you can do as a precaution to the super high failure rate this thing seems to have? My guess is one of the issues is all the weird auto on/off stuff. I hate when theres no way to turn stuff on and off manually and it forces  stuff like that

I will never use the 3d on this thing at all, theres no way to totally disable it is there?

I have no idea if it will make a difference in the long run but mine is hooked up to an electrical outlet that is controlled by a light switch on the wall so if I'm not home or not using it, there's no power going to it.  

I have no idea if it will make a difference in the long run but mine is hooked up to an electrical outlet that is controlled by a light switch on the wall so if I'm not home or not using it, there's no power going to it.
thats kinda what i was thinking. WIth its stupid auto on/off features some method of leaving the power to it off when not in use may help? Unplugging it every time after use is kinda a pain

is there anything you can do as a precaution to the super high failure rate this thing seems to have? My guess is one of the issues is all the weird auto on/off stuff. I hate when theres no way to turn stuff on and off manually and it forces stuff like that

I will never use the 3d on this thing at all, theres no way to totally disable it is there?
I will admit that I haven't explored any manuals or the monitor menu system for settings but mine does not turn on unless I press the power button on the back. It does shut off automatically if it isn't receiving any input signal though.

I might think turning the light switch off and on might cause mini surges that would do more damage than leaving it in long term.

There are fairly simple fixes for the blinking light issue. I think in explained in another thread but you just need to reflash the eeprom that is on the board. Save the settings you like and then ground one of the traces to prevent the eeprom from being constantly rewritten.

The badcapacitor forums explain all of this.

Got mine a year ago from Newegg via eBay refurbished for $99. No issues. I did research and plugged a USB fan into the back of the TV's USB port (its there, just look under a removable flap) and it works great. Goes on and off with the TV. 3D mode uses 120Hz refresh, so that's why it appears smoother. I can post my settings in a bit.

Got mine a year ago from Newegg via eBay refurbished for $99. No issues. I did research and plugged a USB fan into the back of the TV's USB port (its there, just look under a removable flap) and it works great. Goes on and off with the TV. 3D mode uses 120Hz refresh, so that's why it appears smoother. I can post my settings in a bit.
What's the purpose of the fan? Does the TV have issues from overheating?

One thing I love about my setup now is that my computer's fan rarely even engages, and it's whisper-quiet in here. But if I need a little fan to keep the TV working, I'll do it.

Picked this up for $100 on a Black Friday 2-3 years ago. For the price, it's a great screen and the picture quality is truly a step above what you would normally expect from this price. I thought that the picture quality was near the same level as a Panasonic Plasma that I have. The cost and size of this thing means it's perfect for dorm room gaming

I never had the same durability issues as others, but other cons are that it's high gloss and viewing angles aren't great. But if you are sitting right in front of it, the picture is excellent. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I might think turning the light switch off and on might cause mini surges that would do more damage than leaving it in long term.
I should have said it's plugged into a surge protector that's plugged into the electrical socket that's controlled by the light switch.

I just traded mine to a friend to do some body work to my Jeep.. might get another I liked it and only used it occasionally so it was perfect

Yes please, im having a hard time finding settings. Most reviews dont mention them. I just found a gamefaqs thread with some meh sounding setings more geared for 3D. I think i remember messing with them a bit when i got it. Im also curious about what you mean by a USB fan... how do you have that hooked up

just glanced at it and this is what i have my settings on. I think custom is the only one i briefly calibrated. Does anyone know if the standard and cinema settings look different or if those are the defaults? I cant seem to recall if i liked 0 or 1 sharpness

Custom

backlight 5

brightness 47

contrast 85

color 50

hue 0

picture warm

sharp 0

Cinema

backlight 5

Bright 50

contrast 80

color 50

hue 0

sharpness 1

color temp warm

Standard

backlight 5

bright 50

cont 90

color 55

hue 0

sharpness 3

color normal

Picked this up for $100 on a Black Friday 2-3 years ago. For the price, it's a great screen and the picture quality is truly a step above what you would normally expect from this price. I thought that the picture quality was near the same level as a Panasonic Plasma that I have. The cost and size of this thing means it's perfect for dorm room gaming

I never had the same durability issues as others, but other cons are that it's high gloss and viewing angles aren't great. But if you are sitting right in front of it, the picture is excellent.
really? You must have had one of the cheaper ones, because for my money the last of the Panasonic plasma line (vieras i think?) had the best PQ of any TV's ive seen right next to the Kuro's. Its sad to me that plasmas died out. I loved their PQ. I actually need to research a new tv for my bedroom. My old sony 60" KDS60a3000 bulb is dying and i dont think they make them anymore. Which blows since i loved the input options and picture on it. Im sure a new TV wont have a VGA input for my dreamcast =P I guess i'll have to look at the best new Sony and Samsung tvs out there. Unfortunately it seems Samsung is doing that stupid curved thing on most of thei higher end TV's these days.

I need to find out if 4k tvs have more input lag since the tv is mostly used just for gaming

If you have a Sony PS3 remote (or any Sony remote), you can use the TV function on it on the monitor.  I'm using this one.  It makes it easier to adjust the settings, volume, etc.  A Sony remote I have for a 22" TV I bought a few years ago also works on it.
gaming_playstation_3_remote_control.jpg

If you have a Sony PS3 remote (or any Sony remote), you can use the TV function on it on the monitor. I'm using this one. It makes it easier to adjust the settings, volume, etc. A Sony remote I have for a 22" TV I bought a few years ago also works on it.
gaming_playstation_3_remote_control.jpg
Does that let you access the menu and picture settings and stuff too? I have one of the older ones actually but i dont think it has the channel and volume buttons. I'll pick that up if i can mess ith the menu settings with it

You may find this Rtings website informative. Maybe you know of it.
Lists the best gaming TVs based on input lag, response time, and motion blur.
Chart at the bottom, if you don't want to read 18 paragraphs. Cheers.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/video-gaming/best
Dude, thank you so much! thats a great place to start researching. When i start reading up on this stuff i'll go through a lot of thos reviews. that samsung UN65JS9000 looks pretty damn nice. I guess 4k TV's DONT increase input lag?

Damnit! but its one of those curved TV's. I HATE that. If it wasn't i would probably snag that after comparing it to the Sony's

Does that let you access the menu and picture settings and stuff too? I have one of the older ones actually but i dont think it has the channel and volume buttons. I'll pick that up if i can mess ith the menu settings with it

Dude, thank you so much! thats a great place to start researching. When i start reading up on this stuff i'll go through a lot of thos reviews. that samsung UN65JS9000 looks pretty damn nice. I guess 4k TV's DONT increase input lag?

Damnit! but its one of those curved TV's. I HATE that. If it wasn't i would probably snag that after comparing it to the Sony's
Yeah, the remote lets you switch between inputs, adjust the volume, access the menus with the picture settings, sound settings, etc.

really? You must have had one of the cheaper ones, because for my money the last of the Panasonic plasma line (vieras i think?) had the best PQ of any TV's ive seen right next to the Kuro's. Its sad to me that plasmas died out. I loved their PQ. I actually need to research a new tv for my bedroom. My old sony 60" KDS60a3000 bulb is dying and i dont think they make them anymore. Which blows since i loved the input options and picture on it. Im sure a new TV wont have a VGA input for my dreamcast =P I guess i'll have to look at the best new Sony and Samsung tvs out there. Unfortunately it seems Samsung is doing that stupid curved thing on most of thei higher end TV's these days.

I need to find out if 4k tvs have more input lag since the tv is mostly used just for gaming
I have a 46 inch Panasonic S2 (I think that's what it was called). I'm not saying that the PQ from this Sony TV is on par, I was just trying to point out that even tho I was used the standards of playing on a Panasonic mid-tier Plasma, I still was impressed by the PQ coming from this cheap Sony TV

And yes I too am sad that Plasmas are being phased out. I absolutely love Panasonic Plasma, and love the value and quality you get from Plasmas

Here are my settings:

Backlight 7
Brightness 46
Contrast 90
Color 60
Hue 0
Sharpness 4
Color temp Normal

Sound is +8 on both bass/treble with speaker attached as the TV speakers suck.

USB fan is to cool the tv as research showed the returns have extra heat sinks and peeps who used a fan to circulate air through the vents had no issues. So I just use a small one on the port and habit blow into the vents (very quiet small fan for $10 on amazon).

Hope that helps!

Here are my settings:

Backlight 7
Brightness 46
Contrast 90
Color 60
Hue 0
Sharpness 4
Color temp Normal

USB fan is to cool the tv as research showed the returns have extra heat sinks and peeps who used a fan to circulate air through the vents had no issues. So I just use a small one on the port and habit blow into the vents (very quiet small fan for $10 on amazon).

Hope that helps!
Cool, thanks! I think I can manage a quiet, $10 fan. Hopefully I can figure out where the vents are!

Any chance you can link me to the fan you bought on Amazon? There are a million on there and I'm lazy and confused.

Here are my settings:

Backlight 7
Brightness 46
Contrast 90
Color 60
Hue 0
Sharpness 4
Color temp Normal

Hope that helps!
you like a very saturated picture, lol. WHich setting is that, custom?

Where exactly do you blow the fan? Looking at it from the back i would think youd want it blowing on the right side since thats where i feel the most heat when its on. There aren't really any vents there theyre more on the left. Again, thats looking at it from the back. If you were lookig at it from the front im talkig about the back left half of the TV

I think mine is dying too.  It will sometimes just act like it has no signal for 15 seconds or so.  This could be because I've got two things hooked up to it now though and switch back and forth...  I'm hoping it keeps working.  I did not buy a warranty.  ;)  I've probably gotten my money's worth though and would just replace it with another monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-R240HY-bidx-23-8-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B0148NNKTC/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1462234392&sr=1-3&keywords=1080p+monitor

Is 4ms response time good?  What are these Sony monitors?  I've really enjoyed mine.  I think my TV is just as good, though, and I doubt it's any better than 4ms.  (My older TV was horribly laggy.)

I was just thinking about these today. I got minexpensive for 90$ 2 years ago refurbished and works and looks great. Best monitor for PC ever. Just updated my video card andebt was thinking about adding a second monitor.

Really? Necrobump a thread for this? I need to find some Xbox 360 threads to report mine just got the RROD!
I liked the update. I thought it was ironic, because mine had just started behaving strangely, and we both got ours because of this thread.

Anyway, this wasn't even a year ago (eek!)--our 360s died like in 2009 meng.

I liked the update. I thought it was ironic, because mine had just started behaving strangely, and we both got ours because of this thread.

Anyway, this wasn't even a year ago (eek!)--our 360s died like in 2009 meng.
Don't mind me, I just wanted to post and being an ass seemed to be the easiest excuse. I never got one of these though I always wanted to. I was hoping for them to drop to like $75 but think they sold out before that happened.

Don't mind me, I just wanted to post and being an ass seemed to be the easiest excuse. I never got one of these though I always wanted to. I was hoping for them to drop to like $75 but think they sold out before that happened.
Are you glad you didn't now??? My girlfriend told me at the time--"don't do it!" I originally got this as a TV for the living room. It was obvious it was too small, but to my delight, I found it made the best computer monitor I've ever had. Now I use my PS4 with it as well. And I eventually bought a new TV too (still too small)

Now I am cursed to live life with a slightly too-small TV (always get bigger than you think you'll want) and a separate monitor, to the point I would definitely replace this if it stopped working. Maybe I should just save it for my PC and put the PS4 back in the living room. It was fine until I started using it with two things...

I think mine is dying too. It will sometimes just act like it has no signal for 15 seconds or so. This could be because I've got two things hooked up to it now though and switch back and forth... I'm hoping it keeps working. I did not buy a warranty. ;) I've probably gotten my money's worth though and would just replace it with another monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-R240HY-bidx-23-8-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B0148NNKTC/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1462234392&sr=1-3&keywords=1080p+monitor

Is 4ms response time good? What are these Sony monitors? I've really enjoyed mine. I think my TV is just as good, though, and I doubt it's any better than 4ms. (My older TV was horribly laggy.)
Considering the 4k tv I have has a response time of 36ms in gaming mode and I don't notice any lag, 4ms should be phenomenal.

Are you glad you didn't now??? My girlfriend told me at the time--"don't do it!" I originally got this as a TV for the living room. It was obvious it was too small, but to my delight, I found it made the best computer monitor I've ever had. Now I use my PS4 with it as well. And I eventually bought a new TV too (still too small)

Now I am cursed to live life with a slightly too-small TV (always get bigger than you think you'll want) and a separate monitor, to the point I would definitely replace this if it stopped working. Maybe I should just save it for my PC and put the PS4 back in the living room. It was fine until I started using it with two things...
Nah, I would have been happy with one as a monitor/PS3 TV in my office. My current monitor is a 23 inch one and that one is perfect for me, though I could see how it might be small for a TV. I was scared off at the time by people reporting them dying, having issues, but I was intrigued by them.

I used to have one of these things, and the quality was pretty bad imo

The 3D glasses make everything EXTREMELY DARK, and the screen is really glossy/reflective which is distracting. Also mine started to have an issue with the display along the right side of the screen, some green tinting issues in the corner.

Another problem I had  was the lack of inputs. You get 1 component, and 2 HDMI. That's it. No support for legacy systems via composite or S-video.

If you want a 3D TV, look elsewhere.

I've had this TV since it basically launched back in the day with Motorstorm, I've been using it daily as my PC monitor and think it's excellent. The 3D quality is pretty good too if that's your thing. The simulview technology is really impressive, but was never implemented for many games

I got mine on launch and still use it as a PC Monitor to this day.  I used it on the actual PS3 like... twice?

It's done that turn off for 1-2 seconds, turn back on thing ever since I got it.  It was a price mistake for $49.99 when I got it and I hope it never dies lol.

I gave my $99 refurb up a few weeks ago when Amazon as offering $147 (Acceptable) for these. it was great, but the mancave is being repurposed and it was too glossy to have anywhere else in the house.

I got mine on launch and still use it as a PC Monitor to this day. I used it on the actual PS3 like... twice?

It's done that turn off for 1-2 seconds, turn back on thing ever since I got it. It was a price mistake for $49.99 when I got it and I hope it never dies lol.
I do the same got a launch always used as second computer monitor. The power cycling started about a year ago and tbh I thought it was my video card. I think I owe evga an apology haha.

bread's done
Back