Sony claims Xbox 360 requires HD DVD, etc., thus costs $700

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
This is just awesome. Sony is freaking crazy.

sony_chart1.jpg

The "Requires Users to Buy" is great.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/sony-claims-xbox-360-requires-hd-dvd-etc-thus-costs-700/

To get the same experience it is required to buy. They are comparing it to their own system, hence you have to buy it to get a product as equal as possible. I think they should have left off the wireless controller for $50 since it does include a wired one, but I see nothing wrong with them comparing the price of the PS3 to a 360 with the HD-DVD drive.

[quote name='rodeojones903']To get the same experience it is required to buy. They are comparing it to their own system, hence you have to buy it to get a product as equal as possible. I think they should have left off the wireless controller for $50 since it does include a wired one, but I see nothing wrong with them comparing the price of the PS3 to a 360 with the HD-DVD drive.[/quote]If they compared it to the Premium 360, the only costs for the 360 would be the HD-DVD add-on and online. So it'd be $549.

[quote name='botticus']If they compared it to the Premium 360, the only costs for the 360 would be the HD-DVD add-on and online. So it'd be $549.[/QUOTE]

Actually its be $649.99, but yes that would have been a better idea.

[quote name='botticus']If they compared it to the Premium 360, the only costs for the 360 would be the HD-DVD add-on and online. So it'd be $549.[/quote]
[quote name='rodeojones903']Actually its be $649.99, but yes that would have been a better idea.[/quote]
Actually, $599, because the HD-DVD addon is $200, but Live! Gold is included (for a year?) with the premium system.

[quote name='daroga']Actually, $599, because the HD-DVD addon is $200, but Live! Gold is included (for a year?) with the premium system.[/QUOTE]

No its not. You can get a free silver membership, but you have to pay for gold.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Actually its be $649.99, but yes that would have been a better idea.[/quote]Oops, I had my math right the first time. Either way, it'd still be a fluff comparison, cause they'd be showing the intended 360 purchase versus the PS3 configuration that most people won't be seeing much of (Core = 20% of production).

[quote name='rodeojones903']No its not. You can get a free silver membership, but you have to pay for gold.[/quote]
Ah, my bad. I thought silver was just with the core, and gold with the premium.
$649 it is.

[quote name='daroga']Actually, $599, because the HD-DVD addon is $200, but Live! Gold is included (for a year?) with the premium system.[/QUOTE]

1 month actually.

edit: beaten to the punch.

[quote name='botticus']Oops, I had my math right the first time. Either way, it'd still be a fluff comparison, cause they'd be showing the intended 360 purchase versus the PS3 configuration that most people won't be seeing much of (Core = 20% of production).[/QUOTE]

At launch. I have no doubt that production will ramp up on both configurations and they will be stocked according to demands.

And to this, I say ... so what? Contrary to what Sony seems to think, there won't be a Microsoft employee holding a gun to my head in the check-out line, making me buy a HD-DVD drive for my 360. So in the end, I pay $400 for my Xbox and $600 for my PS3. And since 400 is less than 600, most sentient beings would categorize that as cheaper.

I'd love to see a Sony PR flak in remedial science class.

Prof: Okay, now if we put a brick on this end of the scale, and a feather on this end, which is heavier?
Sony: The feather! We just have to put a brick on that side too!
Prof: You fail.

I wonder what made them stop at 12 months for gold, why not just say it'll cost $250 for xbox live over a 5-year period, ZOMG SONY IS TEH CHEAPS NOW!!1

And wtf, $0 for the first 6 months of Wii? I guess they're talking about the opera browser that would then cost a whopping $5 or something?

[quote name='trq']Prof: Okay, now if we put a brick on this end of the scale, and a feather on this end, which is heavier?
Prof: You fail.[/quote]

Hahaha just what I was thinking. :D

[quote name='SpazX']I wonder what made them stop at 12 months for gold, why not just say it'll cost $250 for xbox live over a 5-year period, ZOMG SONY IS TEH CHEAPS NOW!!1

And wtf, $0 for the first 6 months of Wii? I guess they're talking about the opera browser that would then cost a whopping $5 or something?[/quote]

Well, MS uses their own servers (with the exception of EA). Whereas, Sony doesn't have centralized servers like MS does.

Sony are the kings of selective accounting. Dont forget the PSP is the fastest and biggest selling handheld system of all time.

You know, Sony, it works both ways.

I have little or no interest in online multiplayer, so I get an instant rebate from Microsoft!

I don't want my eventual choice in HD content playback to hinge on my choice of game platform. For that matter, I don't want to get invested in a 1080p display. The sweet spot right now is for 720p screen and those are great for gaming. There is so much Sony hype around 1080p, I just wouldn't feel it was worth owning a PS3 without such a display. Another big savings.

I don't give a damn about wireless controllers. I don't want to be more than 6 to 10 feet from the screen and oddly enough my Xbox controllers supported that without buying an extension cord. Wow, another big savings.

If Micrsofot would offer a package with the hard drive, VGA cable, and wired controller for somewhat less than the Premium System, that would be the one for me.

Sony has earned a place on my shitlist for negative marketing by knowingly ignoring the Premium System that knocks $50 off their estimate price for the Xbox 360. If their product is so wonderful they shouldn't need to resort to thing kind of nonsense. This kind of desperation only serves to make their quality claims suspect and to turn a neutral observer to an actively hostile stance.

[quote name='rodeojones903']To get the same experience it is required to buy. They are comparing it to their own system, hence you have to buy it to get a product as equal as possible. I think they should have left off the wireless controller for $50 since it does include a wired one, but I see nothing wrong with them comparing the price of the PS3 to a 360 with the HD-DVD drive.[/QUOTE]
If you have to add the HD-DVD drive to the 360 to make it comparable, then they can't compare Sony's online service to XBL. Its equally deficient by comparison as the PS3 is to the 360 without the HD-DVD drive.

Nevermind the fact that less than 10% of launch systems will be the cheaper 20GB model. You're more likely to see Bigfoot than one of those for quite a while.

Even with their false numbers, their table still shows Wii as only costing half what a PS3 does.

It sounds like Sony is actively encouraging Microsoft to ship a model with HD-DVD built-in as the sole optical drive.

This would make Sony's price comparision look quite bad since the significantly lesser cost of the HD-DVD drive, elimination of the DVD mechanism, and elimination of the assorted bit needed for the HD-DVD drive as an external device, all would add up to Microsoft being able to ship a game console with 1080p content playback built-in at a lower retail price and a good deal lower loss per unit sold.

Do you really want to go down that road Sony? I'm sure Toshiba would offer every incentive they could short of giving them the drives for free.

[quote name='Thunderscope']Sonys crappy comparison sure does make that $249 Wii look good......[/quote]Yeah, that $249 Wii, which, after taxes is $263, and after a $40 Virtual Console controller, is over $300 now, not including games or another Wii controller, which are $60 themselves.

[quote name='VAD3R or Fro']Or if you just bought a premium Xbox 360 with a hardrive and wireless controller it would be cheaper.[/QUOTE]

No, because then you would need to get the HD-DVD drive to be able to play high def movies like the PS3 can. They would come out to the same price if you match that feature.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yeah, that $249 Wii, which, after taxes is $263, and after a $40 Virtual Console controller, is over $300 now, not including games or another Wii controller, which are $60 themselves.[/quote] Oh yeah, I forgot Sony is subsidizing the $50 sales tax on every PS3. ;) And the VC controller is $20. Seriously... argue from facts, those are enough to make your point without exaggeration.

How much does the blu-ray drive actually add to what your eye can see ? And aren't blu-ray disc's much more expensive ? Just asking because I don't really know much about the blu-ray.

[quote name='rodeojones903']No, because then you would need to get the HD-DVD drive to be able to play high def movies like the PS3 can. They would come out to the same price if you match that feature.[/quote]Did the wired PS3 controller come with the core console though?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yeah, that $249 Wii, which, after taxes is $263, and after a $40 Virtual Console controller, is over $300 now, not including games or another Wii controller, which are $60 themselves.[/quote]
Let's see, the PS3 is $636 here after tax (6%) with an extra controller puts you at $688 after tax with no game.

A Wii is $349 with an extra controller ('Mote + 'Chuck), a VC controller ($19.99 for those of you playing along at home), and tax--$349 compared to $688? Yup, ouch. The Wii comes with a game too. :)

One may make the argument that some of the extra with the Wii may put it out of the impulse-buy, mainstream, non-gamer market. But don't even try to play the price comparison game with the PS3. That's just silly.

[quote name='daroga']Let's see, the PS3 is $636 here after tax (6%) with an extra controller puts you at $688 after tax with no game.

A Wii is $349 with an extra controller ('Mote + 'Chuck), a VC controller ($19.99 for those of you playing along at home), and tax--$349 compared to $688? Yup, ouch. The Wii comes with a game too. :)

One may make the argument that some of the extra with the Wii may put it out of the impulse-buy, mainstream, non-gamer market. But don't even try to play the price comparison game with the PS3. That's just silly.[/quote]

No dammit, you don't understand.

There's the Wii, then you have to buy another game, another remote and nunchuck, a virtual console controller, the component cable, 5000 wii points, another virtual console contoller, another game, and a bag to carry it all in.

That's $550 without tax! I might as well just pay the extra $50 and get a premium PS3!

This really is the only way to compiare the price of gaming on the PS3, and the Xbox 360.

Customer - "Hi, I'd like to play this game here....Gears of War...what do I need to buy?"
Salesman - "All you need to buy is this here, the Xbox 360 Core. $299."
Customer - "Okay, I'd like to play this game too...Metal Gear Solid 4...what do I need to buy?"
Salesman - "All you need to buy is this here, the PS3 w/ 20GB HDD. $499."

[quote name='botticus']Oh yeah, I forgot Sony is subsidizing the $50 sales tax on every PS3. ;) And the VC controller is $20. Seriously... argue from facts, those are enough to make your point without exaggeration.[/quote]Ok, I was wrong about the VC controller cost, but are you trying to say that tax doesn't come into play when buying these consoles?

And this whole arguement is stupid, if Sony is trying to add up 360 schwag in order to compare it with the PS3 in terms of playing "next gen" movie titles, then why even use the Wii in the comparison, since the Wii can't even play regular DVD's? If Sony is trying to compare 2 HD heavy, movie playing game machines, then why get the Wii involved, since it has no emphasis on HD gameplay or movie playback? Pretty obvious that Sony looks at Microsoft as their competition, and not Nintendo.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Ok, I was wrong about the VC controller cost, but are you trying to say that tax doesn't come into play when buying these consoles?

And this whole arguement is stupid, if Sony is trying to add up 360 schwag in order to compare it with the PS3 in terms of playing "next gen" movie titles, then why even use the Wii in the comparison, since the Wii can't even play regular DVD's? If Sony is trying to compare 2 HD heavy, movie playing game machines, then why get the Wii involved, since it has no emphasis on HD gameplay or movie playback? Pretty obvious that Sony looks at Microsoft as their competition, and not Nintendo.[/QUOTE]
Well I think Sony and Microsoft should wake up before Nintendo's Supercharged GC leaves them in the dust in terms of sales. I know so many people who are gonna buy one including myself along with the 360. plus with 6 million units out there worldwide before 07, compared to Sony's 500k systems. The ones with the largest userbase gets the games, support, and sales. I mean look at the PSP and DS...

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Ok, I was wrong about the VC controller cost, but are you trying to say that tax doesn't come into play when buying these consoles?[/quote] No, what he was saying was that if you were going to use tax as a factor against the Wii's low price, you need to do the same thing for the PS3--it's not like Sony is going to pay your tax for you. :)

But, your point is very valid. The Wii shouldn't have even been there as the logic behind the 360 being "$700" ("You need to pay that to get the same functions!!!!1") isn't a factor. If it was just "Go get a new game system" then it should've been included.

Did Sony just recently say that movies were not a factor of Blu-Ray being included in the PS3? Doesn't this void that idea?

EDIT: There we go: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/17/sony-on-blu-ray-for-ps3-its-got-nothing-to-do-with-movies/

If the 360 requires you to buy a Harddrive and HD-DVD Drive to play it correctly, than the Wii shouldn't even be on there as it can't be played correctly (according to Sony).

[quote name='PenguinMaster']If the 360 requires you to buy a Harddrive and HD-DVD Drive to play it correctly, than the Wii shouldn't even be on there as it can't be played correctly.[/QUOTE]

Give that boy a gold star! He's head of his class at the Sony School of Consumer Indoctrination.

Sony would really like people to believe that.

They also should add in the cost of component or HDMI cables into the price of the PS3 if they're having HD movies as a required component of next-gen systems. With a 360 premium those are already included.

Does sony include a lb. of the weed they are smoking with every console purchase? Who do they think will actually buy that load of crap they are claiming?
They must obviously consider MS a serious threat to put out that kind of press release. MS should be flattered.

They're saying that the 360 needs those to have similar abilities or features as the PS3.

Everybody needs to stop jumping at this kind of stuff while thinking you know what they mean when you really don't.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They're saying that the 360 needs those to have similar abilities or features as the PS3.

Everybody needs to stop jumping at this kind of stuff while thinking you know what they mean when you really don't.[/QUOTE]

We have their statement. If they fear misinterpretation the burden is upon them to detail their line of reasoning.

In any case it doesn't remove the fact that Sony is making their product an all or nothing proposition for those features. Don't care about HD movie playback? Too bad, we've decided this for you. Don't care about wireless controllers? Too bad, we've decided they're standard regardless of how much it drives up cost of entry.

After having enough choices stripped away, I'm left with just one: do I have any great need to play PS3 games before the system price falls below $300?

MY answer is increasingly unfavorable to Sony.

[quote name='epobirs']We have their statement. If they fear misinterpretation the burden is upon them to detail their line of reasoning.[/quote]
Sure, but it's also up to the media to relay that message to the gamers and they don't always do a good job of that either. Like in the news that Sony supposedly said that they outsold the PSP, which they were talking about adoption rate in the US, not what the obvious misinterpretation was. The GT:HD fiasco is another example of the media misinterpreting information and running with it.

In any case it doesn't remove the fact that Sony is making their product an all or nothing proposition for those features. Don't care about HD movie playback? Too bad, we've decided this for you. Don't care about wireless controllers? Too bad, we've decided they're standard regardless of how much it drives up cost of entry.

After having enough choices stripped away, I'm left with just one: do I have any great need to play PS3 games before the system price falls below $300?

MY answer is increasingly unfavorable to Sony.
Even though my point had nothing to do with any of the rest of your post. If you don't want wireless controllers, you're pretty much SOL this generation. I believe MS is the only one offering a wired controller and even then they're pushing it as something to use on your PC, as well.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
Even though my point had nothing to do with any of the rest of your post. If you don't want wireless controllers, you're pretty much SOL this generation. I believe MS is the only one offering a wired controller and even then they're pushing it as something to use on your PC, as well.[/QUOTE]

And frankly, I'm glad. Wired controllers are not for me. We just need to expand the frequencies they are using (or use BT). Wires = dogs and kids eating them.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']And frankly, I'm glad. Wired controllers are not for me. We just need to expand the frequencies they are using (or use BT). Wires = dogs and kids eating them.[/quote]

Or clumsy people tripping over them...

[quote name='trq']And to this, I say ... so what? Contrary to what Sony seems to think, there won't be a Microsoft employee holding a gun to my head in the check-out line, making me buy a HD-DVD drive for my 360. So in the end, I pay $400 for my Xbox and $600 for my PS3. And since 400 is less than 600, most sentient beings would categorize that as cheaper.

I'd love to see a Sony PR flak in remedial science class.

Prof: Okay, now if we put a brick on this end of the scale, and a feather on this end, which is heavier?
Prof: You fail.[/quote]SIG'D

[quote name='CocheseUGA']And frankly, I'm glad. Wired controllers are not for me. We just need to expand the frequencies they are using (or use BT). Wires = dogs and kids eating them.[/quote] Amen. I will not shed a tear for the passing of the wired controller. Since I first used a Wavebird I haven't gone back. In fact, I've not played RE4 yet almost solely because the WB doesn't do so well with simultaneous button presses that you need to do in that game.

And these tactics are nothing new. From retail to corporations to politics--everyone does this. It's called spin. It's stupid, and if you're smart you can see right through it.

Personally, I don't own an 360 nor will I own a PS3. But should I choose to get one, I appreciate Microsoft parsing it out a bit so I get get a game console first, and if I want an HD movie player later, I can get one for less than the cost of a stand-alone player.

I want my game systems to play games. I don't need to surf the web, play movies, tell me the weather, news, or any other crap. Just put the disc in and go. The 360 does extra stuff, but it doesn't have to and I don't have to pay for it. The Wii does extra stuff, but it's all free. Sony is ramming it down people's throats because the PS3 is all of their eggs in one shiny, black basket. Say what you want about 100 million PS2s. Sony needs Blu-Ray to succeed to remain afloat as a company--and the PS3 is their way to get it out there. They'll deny it up and down, but without its success far beyond the realm of console games they're in trouble, deep trouble.

You know who Sony reminds me of? NEC. Remember NEC? If not lets do some history.

First system, Turbo Grafx 16 or PC Engine. Very Successful.

Second System Turbo Duo or DUO in Japan. HUGELY Successful. Almost PS2 level back in the day

Third System PC FX which was hugely powerful for its day. Cost a lot. BOMB!

Now NEC doesn't even have a gaming division anymore. Didn't they sell all of that off in 2004?

Is Sony going to face the same fate that NEC faced? This is going to be interesting.

[quote name='SpazX']No dammit, you don't understand.

There's the Wii, then you have to buy another game, another remote and nunchuck, a virtual console controller, the component cable, 5000 wii points, another virtual console contoller, another game, and a bag to carry it all in.

That's $550 without tax! I might as well just pay the extra $50 and get a premium PS3![/QUOTE]
:lol:
Classic.
Did anyone else notice that they say WiiConnect is free for six months? Then it costs money... ?

[quote name='Paco']You know who Sony reminds me of? NEC. Remember NEC? If not lets do some history.

First system, Turbo Grafx 16 or PC Engine. Very Successful.

Second System Turbo Duo or DUO in Japan. HUGELY Successful. Almost PS2 level back in the day

Third System PC FX which was hugely powerful for its day. Cost a lot. BOMB!

Now NEC doesn't even have a gaming division anymore. Didn't they sell all of that off in 2004?

Is Sony going to face the same fate that NEC faced? This is going to be interesting.[/quote] Maybe, although I think Sony's "very successful" label goes well beyone anything NEC ever had.

To me, Sony is copycatting Nintendo, post-SNES. They were on top of the world, dominated everything, and said screw-you to the rest of the industry. If it had just been Sega that had to contend with, that probably would've been fine, but then gaming-hardware-upstart Sony came in and knocked them on their butt with the Playstation.

Is it total role-reversal? Will the Wii come out of nowhere and kick the PS3 in the crotch? I dunno. Maybe that'll be Microsoft's role this generation. The fact is that Sony is betting a LOT on the Playstation name, and that alone. And as Nintendo proved with the N64, you simply cannot do that and maintain your status in the industry. History may not repeat itself, but Sony seems to be going out of their way to ensure that it does.

bread's done
Back