Sony is going to buy me a Wii

VanillaGorilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I've decided that, if I have PS3 Launch Eve day off, I'm gonna hit up the same Wal Mart that sold me my launch 360, at about 6 a.m. the day before, and just sit in their designated Layaway area waiting. I'll purchase a PS3, then turn around and sell it on eBay for a sizeable profit. I figure $600 profit is more than enough for me. I will then take that money and buy myself a Wii, making it "free", in a way.

Anyone else thinking of using this strategy? And do you think it would be possibly to make even MORE than $600 on the PS3?

i wouldn't be suprised it it will only make about $400. But then again I wouldn't be suprised if it makes between $1400 - $2000.

[quote name='6669']Sony's not buying you the Wii, the person you rip off is.[/quote]How is it a ripoff? $1200 to make Little Billy and Jane smile on Christmas Eve? A child's smile is more valuable than any dollar amount.

Do you even really want a Wii? You can use that money for anything you know, like all the hit 360 games that are gonna hit around the same time.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Do you even really want a Wii? You can use that money for anything you know, like all the hit 360 games that are gonna hit around the same time.[/QUOTE]

How else can someone rant about how Wii sucks so bad without having one to bitch about?

I already have my schedule layed out so that I can start camping at 9 p.m. on that Wednesday night :)

27 hours in advance SHOULD be enough I hope :)

Why do people think it's a rip off to sell a PS3 on Ebay. The seller is in now way lying or deceiving the buyer (unless they are only selling a box). The Buyer is just a fucking dumbass to pay 4X the price.

I'm going to pick my preorder up on launch day, that I've just verified I'm #2 on the list for.

....then I'm going to go home & play it. Y'know, what MOST people do when they buy a new console. ;)

I STILL don't get why people think PS3 will sell for more than $600 on ebay. The majority of people aren't picking it up BECAUSE it's $600. I'm going to laugh if you all get stiffed and there's no profit on it.

[quote name='Scorch']I STILL don't get why people think PS3 will sell for more than $600 on ebay. The majority of people aren't picking it up BECAUSE it's $600. I'm going to laugh if you all get stiffed and there's no profit on it.[/quote]

It will sell for a good profit on eBay. A lot of 360's sold for over $1000 on launch day, so nobody is going to have trouble making a profit on PS3 on eBay.

[quote name='Scorch']I STILL don't get why people think PS3 will sell for more than $600 on ebay. The majority of people aren't picking it up BECAUSE it's $600. I'm going to laugh if you all get stiffed and there's no profit on it.[/QUOTE]
The same type of people who paid 2 to 3 times MSRP for an Xbox 360 will pay at least that much for a PS3 -- and don't forget that the pS2 was a more popular system than the original Xbox and the fact that there will be even fewer PS3s to go around than there were Xbox 360s.

[quote name='Scorch']I STILL don't get why people think PS3 will sell for more than $600 on ebay. The majority of people aren't picking it up BECAUSE it's $600. I'm going to laugh if you all get stiffed and there's no profit on it.[/QUOTE]

If you don't think there are AT LEAST 400,000 people in the US willing to pay $600 for the system at launch, and many of them quite a bit more than that, then you have completely lost touch with reality.

Can anyone tell me what risks are involved in something like this? For example a chargeback, a newbie ebayer who won't pay, what else? How exactly does a charge back work?

I think it might be different this time. Since the 360 even retards know to sell the system on release day. There will be 100k+ on ebay within a day and the prices will crash. There was a lag with the 360's (not too many on ebay) until news broke that people are morons and were paying $700+ for premiums. Within a week 30k+ units were up.

Other than the smart people who post their auctions before or the day of release you'll be lucky to make $150 on the system. They'll still sell because the Sony fanboy morons will all want their precious Blu-Ray drives but I doubt it will be worth your time.

[quote name='argyle']If you don't think there are AT LEAST 400,000 people in the US willing to pay $600 for the system at launch, and many of them quite a bit more than that, then you have completely lost touch with reality.[/QUOTE]
I think Scorch lost touch with reality a long time ago.

If I have the $600 to spend on one, I'll definitely try to buy one to resell on ebay. Bitch if you must, but in no way is it a rip-off, a scam, or dishonest

I gotta get paid, son.

I just don't understand how does this work. Don't you have to send your recipt to the buyer also so they would get a one year warrenty with it. But the problem would be that your recipty would have much lower price you paid for the system. The buyer might feel rippe off.

Or you don't have to send the recipt with the system? But than how would the buyer have a proff of purchase which would be necessary for the one year warrenty?

Am I missing something?

I'm hoping there will be a huge rash of chargebacks and massive scamming going on just so that paypal will have to change its policy to make it harder to scam people. IF ps3 resellers have to suffer for it to change, then I wont cry too much ;P

[quote name='gandhrav']I just don't understand how does this work. Don't you have to send your recipt to the buyer also so they would get a one year warrenty with it. But the problem would be that your recipty would have much lower price you paid for the system. The buyer might feel rippe off.

Or you don't have to send the recipt with the system? But than how would the buyer have a proff of purchase which would be necessary for the one year warrenty?

Am I missing something?[/quote]Everyone knows what the price of the system is when they're looking for one on eBay the day or week after release.

I've always thought that Sony should release it's systems exclusively on Ebay for the first month. Sony should really make the fat cash off the first 100,000 or so to cover development costs (I mean, if people are going to spend that much anyway). I'm happy to wait a couple months to buy the subsidized version.

What the hell is with some of you people? The PS3 is only as valuable as what the person on eBay is willing to pay for it. "Oh, you're ripping them off, blah blah blah." Well, they don't have to buy one now, do they? You're paying more money for the convienience of not having to spend weeks searching every electronics department in every store in your 50 mile radius. You're paying more money because it's in limited supply. If every store in America had 50 untis on their shelves, then you wouldn't need to spend more money. Don't give me this "It's a ripoff" bull$hit. These people pay these enormous prices for a reason, because they WANT TO. I don't know of many people who willingly spend $1000 on something as frivalous as a PS3, and then go "Eh, I was ripped off!" Get over yourselves.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']How is it a ripoff? $1200 to make Little Billy and Jane smile on Christmas Eve? A child's smile is more valuable than any dollar amount.[/QUOTE]

Little Billy and Jane shouldn't need a PS3. They should be getting a baseball bat/glove and a barbie.

[quote name='gandhrav']I just don't understand how does this work. Don't you have to send your recipt to the buyer also so they would get a one year warrenty with it. But the problem would be that your recipty would have much lower price you paid for the system. The buyer might feel rippe off.

Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]
I don't think you need the receipt to get warranty service, do you?

[quote name='jasonlives13']Little Billy and Jane shouldn't need a PS3. They should be getting a baseball bat/glove and a barbie.[/quote]You can't play baseball in December, and Barbie's portray an unrealistic standard of beauty that most little girls cannot attain.

You guys don't realize the whole point. We aren't upset that you want to make money of it. Making amoney is great.
We are dissapointed that you choose to screw your fellow hobbyists in order to support your habit. Noone cares about the dumbass willing to pay 1k or 10 million dollars for the system, that is thier choice. It's the normal guy who wanted one but couldn't get one because of all the ebayers who never intended to play it in the first place.

Blah blah blah if you cant stand in line like the rest of us then you dont deserve one. That is a weak arguement because it wouldn't be nearly as impossible to get one if people didnt intend to resell them in the first place. I would be interested to know what percentage of all ps3s sold in the first shipment are actually played the same day and which go straight to ebay.
Think how crappy your childhood would have been if you had to wait in line for days just to get the new transformer or star wars figure because 95% of the douchebags buying them were trying to make a profit. Doesn't sound too fun does it?
We all accept that it happens, it doesn't mean we have to like it - and if you choose to express your opinion on an internet message board, expect there to be counter opnions as well.
I personally can't see them selling for more than the ps2 did considering the original price. Then again there are a lot of rich lazy people out there who think its easier to buy them off ebay.

Shit happens. Don't blame the OP. At least he's doing it to support his gaming habit, and at least he is "one of us." I was lurking at Fat Wallet and this fucker said that he has 10 PS3's pre-ordered to sell on eBay. It doesn't change the fact that if X amount of PS3's are going to be sold for eBay, that same amount will stay the same. What I mean is, if the OP doesn't end up getting the PS3, someone who is ready to buy it to eBay will be right there behind him.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']You can't play baseball in December...[/quote]

you sure? we had 2 80-degree days in December a couple years ago. most days are great for baseball.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']What the hell is with some of you people? The PS3 is only as valuable as what the person on eBay is willing to pay for it. "Oh, you're ripping them off, blah blah blah." Well, they don't have to buy one now, do they? You're paying more money for the convienience of not having to spend weeks searching every electronics department in every store in your 50 mile radius. You're paying more money because it's in limited supply. If every store in America had 50 untis on their shelves, then you wouldn't need to spend more money. Don't give me this "It's a ripoff" bull$hit. These people pay these enormous prices for a reason, because they WANT TO. I don't know of many people who willingly spend $1000 on something as frivalous as a PS3, and then go "Eh, I was ripped off!" Get over yourselves.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I wasn't attacking you personally, just responding to your thread title (since Sony isn't actually handing you $ and telling you to buy a Wii). If people wanna pay that much for a PS3 (which is already overpriced and has no good games coming out this year), then more power to them. Its not like your hoarding an Elmo doll and putting it on eBay for profit, because that is wrong. There's a big difference between robbing a 5 year old and robbing a 15 year old.

[quote name='jasonlives13']Little Billy and Jane shouldn't need a PS3. They should be getting a baseball bat/glove and a barbie.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, way to promote gender stereotypes you sexist pig!

:rofl:

I kid.

ACTUALLY, my kids will be getting a variety of GC/DS/Wii games for Christmas (since there will be no way I can withold the Wii itself until then). But my kids think getting video games for presents is like getting socks - I get so many so often (cheaply, thanks to CAG) that it is no big deal for them. What they really want is for me to PLAY them with them - so that is what I will really be giving, I guess. Plus they will get other stuff they don't excpect (regular toys). My daughter doesn't like barbies, and none of my kids would want a bat/glove though (they are all kind of into Legos now - I'm toying with getting my daughter the Lego Robotics kit actually).

[quote name='icruise']I don't think you need the receipt to get warranty service, do you?[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't think, since the PS3 is new hardware - ie, there is no need to prove you bought it within 90 days or 1 year or whatever the Sony warranty is since there's no way you could have bought it before Nov 17th. At least that is the way Nintendo handled it with the DS (dead pixels fixed under warranty - they didn't ask for a receipt from me since it was the Teal DS 1 month after it came out). But then Nintendo is much more generous with that sort of thing than Sony, so who knows...

Nope...Sony is paying my next year's tuition... LOL ... I'm hoping to get anywhere between 2-4 consoles, 4 if I actually manage.

[quote name='6669']Sony's not buying you the Wii, the person you rip off is.[/QUOTE]

If anyone buys it for this price they either have too much cash or are idiots. Anyone and everyone that wants a PS3 on launch should know the retail value, but some are willing to pay extra to not stand in long lines.

As for me I plan on buying 2 PS3's and "ripping" off some poor defensless soul on eBay to pay off both of them. So basically my PS3 will be free.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']You guys don't realize the whole point. We aren't upset that you want to make money of it. Making amoney is great.
We are dissapointed that you choose to screw your fellow hobbyists in order to support your habit. Noone cares about the dumbass willing to pay 1k or 10 million dollars for the system, that is thier choice. It's the normal guy who wanted one but couldn't get one because of all the ebayers who never intended to play it in the first place.

Blah blah blah if you cant stand in line like the rest of us then you dont deserve one. That is a weak arguement because it wouldn't be nearly as impossible to get one if people didnt intend to resell them in the first place. I would be interested to know what percentage of all ps3s sold in the first shipment are actually played the same day and which go straight to ebay.
Think how crappy your childhood would have been if you had to wait in line for days just to get the new transformer or star wars figure because 95% of the douchebags buying them were trying to make a profit. Doesn't sound too fun does it?
We all accept that it happens, it doesn't mean we have to like it - and if you choose to express your opinion on an internet message board, expect there to be counter opnions as well.
I personally can't see them selling for more than the ps2 did considering the original price. Then again there are a lot of rich lazy people out there who think its easier to buy them off ebay.[/QUOTE]

If someone wanted this bad enough at launch their asses would be in line like the rest of us and they would already have the funds saved or via credit card. Not one person selling on eBay is taking away from hobbyists because the simple fact is that this system is only limited at launch. There will be more on the market and they can get one then when it doesn't take dedication. As for using Transformer/Star Wars examples it is useless. This shit happens all the time; Cabbage Patch, Furby, Elmo, etc. The simple fact is that a PS3 does not compare because it is a high end piece of equipment that in my opinion shouldn't be bought for kiddies anyways. The gaming market is strongest in the 18-35 year range, so to counter with BS about little Kenny not getting his PS3 is absurd. Take your counter point and whine elsewhere. This country is built on profit and if you can't deal with it maybe you should think about relocating...sheesh

Actually it's the other way around. I'm mad at the people that are mad at the sellers! They should be considerate enough to wait a couple more months and let their hobbyists make a profit off the crazy people who buy it for the "new" price.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Hey he's got get paid,thats just the way it is.[/quote]

And still I see no changes ;)

I may do this....think theres a chance of getting one anywhere without a reservation?

[quote name='Spades22']Actually it's the other way around. I'm mad at the people that are mad at the sellers! They should be considerate enough to wait a couple more months and let their hobbyists make a profit off the crazy people who buy it for the "new" price.[/QUOTE]

Good point and well put. That is if I read it correctly:p Sure after a day, maybe hours, the eBay system will be flooded, but I'm willing to take that chance. Let's all do the math here people:

U.S. population (approx.) = 299,912,377
PS3 Systems at launch (approx.) = 400,000

I know not all of those 299 million can afford a PS3, let alone the eBay mark-up, but there is a huge market to profit from, especially with it launching around the holidays and SONY being the number one product in gaming to date. I feel that more people will make a profit off the PS3 on eBay than 360 sellers.

Some retard will definitely buy the PS3 on launch day for way more but a lot of people probably have that idea and a lot of people are going to want it on launch day so like 100 will be bought for profit the rest will be stiffed

I do not think people realize how difficult it is going to be to get a single PS3, let alone multiples. If anyone has one pre-ordered, I am simply amazed as the only place even doing pre-orders appears to be FYE and each store will get one console, if that, at launch. I want one for myself, but have no problem waiting until spring or so when I wont have to wait for 48+ hours to get one. The xbox 360 lines were usually around 16 hours long, the PS3 will be triple that. People will be waiting outside for DAYS to get one. If you want to go sell on ebay, more power to you but you better get rid of that thing the second you get it home. 100,000+ people will be selling these on ebay so the market will be flooded making your profit $300 max. 48 hours in line for $300 profit? does not sound too grand to me personally....

I can guarantee you that Los Angeles county alone has at least 1 million people ready to shell out $1000 if they don't have a PS3 by Christmas.

[quote name='raregamergirl']I do not think people realize how difficult it is going to be to get a single PS3, let alone multiples. If anyone has one pre-ordered, I am simply amazed as the only place even doing pre-orders appears to be FYE and each store will get one console, if that, at launch. I want one for myself, but have no problem waiting until spring or so when I wont have to wait for 48+ hours to get one. The xbox 360 lines were usually around 16 hours long, the PS3 will be triple that. People will be waiting outside for DAYS to get one. If you want to go sell on ebay, more power to you but you better get rid of that thing the second you get it home. 100,000+ people will be selling these on ebay so the market will be flooded making your profit $300 max. 48 hours in line for $300 profit? does not sound too grand to me personally....[/QUOTE]

Every point you made is YMMV. I waited in line 5+ hours for a 360 and I was first in line. Now I know this will not be possible for the PS3, but in many areas in the U.S. the wait time will not be anywhere near 48 hours. As for obtaining two you just have to plan. Myself, I will have my wife waiting with me because I know my Wal-Mart limits 1 console per customer.

I'm sure the initial flood the first week will depress prices on eBay a bit (but still be profitable). What you have to consider is holding on to it for a few weeks and then selling, around early December. It really depends on whether or not Sony is able to ship more systems by then. If not, or if those shipments are more limited than the launch, I think the prices will go WAY up as pressure builds for people to get them before Christmas.

SHOULD I get one (and I'm not willing to put too much time into it like waiting overnight) I'm not sure how I'd handle it. I've never sold anything nearly that valuable - highest so far was the Teal Nintendogs DS bundle last Christmas.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']You guys don't realize the whole point. We aren't upset that you want to make money of it. Making amoney is great.

I personally can't see them selling for more than the ps2 did considering the original price. Then again there are a lot of rich lazy people out there who think its easier to buy them off ebay.[/quote]

LIFE IS NOT FAIR , the rich fuck the poor over anyday, and the strong the weak, it is being done to you not only by your fellow gamers but by your bank your government by everyone, So why should we the poor and the weak care about those who if strong and rich would fuck us over anyday without a second thought !

Actually, holding onto it until closer to Christmas might be a bad idea. With the 360, it was highest the day before launch, and then it slowly trickled down from there. This time there are two alternatives on the market, so you risk having your potential buyer base lost to that as time goes on.

If you can get a good price on day 1 or day zero, I'd say to ditch it right away.

bread's done
Back