Sony is the New Atari....

Mookyjooky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
42 (100%)
SonyisthenewAtari.gif

Nicely done. I can't believe that Atari PC picture!

You should see if you can find a photo of the original Lynx, it may look even more like the PSP than the second generation one you have pictured.

How come i've never herd of the jaguar? I did a search n that thing is a 64bit? Where the hell was I wen that thing dropped?What the hell did i do to my glasses?

So are these pics real or what? People can photoshop anything, just look at that awesome fake Xbox2 prototype (the one that looked like that stupid floating robot from Halo).

[quote name='Cracka']i thought this was gonna be about sony announcing an E.T. game or something.[/quote]

hehe yeah the PSP version of Pac-Man is gonna suck

Isn't this just like that old saying that my family always tells me, "If you don't learn from the past, You are doomed to repeat it."

The way everything looks you would have thought the design team from Atari left and just copy their own shit and did over again with new technology.

Damn that Lynx was huge if you had small hands I feel sorry for you. What is the deal with the speaker being in between the buttons.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']So are these pics real or what? People can photoshop anything, just look at that awesome fake Xbox2 prototype (the one that looked like that stupid floating robot from Halo).[/quote]

was that a photoshop job? i thought that someone made those models non working models.

I'm trying to remember what those ports on the Atari PC were. They showed them at trade shows in the US but only sold them in Europe. The keyboard port is an RJ-11 like a lot os systems used before the PS/2 standard took over but the other I cannot remember. It looks like two of them could be DB-9 joystick ports but I don't recall seeing those on any PCs, even Atari's.

That was under the Tramiel regime. In some ways the first Atari PC was the Tandy 1000. It was developed by Tandon for Atari and was intended to be sold as the Atari 1600XL. After Warner Comm. decided to sell off Atari the deal fell through and Tandon shopped it to Tandy. It was essentially a faster clone of the PCjr., copying its 16-colr mode and Yamaha/GI sound chip usage. (The same audio chip was in MSX/Coleco and the Atari ST, along with a very long list of others.) Tandy did so much better at marketing PCs to the home market that the 16-color mode became widely known as Tandy mode, forgetting its true origin. Before VGA it was the best thing going for PC games.

I dunno, there's something horribly awkward about the phrase "Sony's first PS2"... Mybe it's the fact that it isn't their first system, and the name itself has a number in the title...

[quote name='cdeener']Damn that Lynx was huge if you had small hands I feel sorry for you. What is the deal with the speaker being in between the buttons.[/quote]

Usually only the bottom 2 buttons were used. The Lynx had the ability to be played normally (horizontally), but you could also turn the system sideways and play the games vertically on the lengthened screen (vertical shooters mostly). In that case, one set of buttons would act as the Dpad.

[quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='cdeener']Damn that Lynx was huge if you had small hands I feel sorry for you. What is the deal with the speaker being in between the buttons.[/quote]

Usually only the bottom 2 buttons were used. The Lynx had the ability to be played normally (horizontally), but you could also turn the system sideways and play the games vertically on the lengthened screen (vertical shooters mostly). In that case, one set of buttons would act as the Dpad.[/quote]

Don't forget there was also the abilty to invert the screen and flip the controlls so that left handers could be comfortable. Thus both sets of buttons were active. I don't recall any games that used the buttons as a D-pad. Since the design allowed the screen orientation to be done however the player preferred there wasn't any need for that.

A game played in portrait mode could have its controls flipped just as readily as one in landscape mode, so the D-pad in Gauntlet III, for instance, could be at the top or bottom as the player chose.

[quote name='Graff^']I dunno, there's something horribly awkward about the phrase "Sony's first PS2"... Mybe it's the fact that it isn't their first system, and the name itself has a number in the title...[/quote]

Well its not the PStwo.

[quote name='ECW_fan']I never had any idea they all looked so close.[/quote]

Pretty hard to avoid in a handheld. You can have the controls off to each side of the screen or under the screen. We've had both on the GBA.

bread's done
Back