Sony Playstation 3D Glasses $29.99 @ Best Buy or PM to Kmart for $19.99

sunxh163

CAGiversary!
I have been waiting for a deal on this for a while , and this is the lowest price I ever seen (with FS or store pickup). This is the 3D glasses coming with the playstation 3D display, so it supports SimulView while other active 3D glasses do not. Credit to wgillis @ slickdeals.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SONY+CO...141544&skuId=2904117&st=ps3 glasses&cp=1&lp=1

UPDATED: The Kmart near me already sold out, but the guy at BB is very nice that he called a Kmart 57 miles away which still have $19.99 3D glasses in stock, so I price-matched and got a second pair.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was actually mentioned in the PlayStation display thread last night, but nothing wrong with it having it's own thread.

You would have to find a Kmart near you that has them in stock at the $20 price so that if Best Buy calls to confirm you know that they MIGHT get the right answer. Possibly even buy it from Kmart, show Best Buy your receipt, then return it to Kmart. GL, my nearest Kmart did not carry the glasses nor the display, let alone at the sale price.

[quote name='2&2']Do these by any chance work with other TVs requiring active shutter glasses?[/QUOTE]

TYPICALLY they don't, but I'm not sure about these glasses in particular.

It's a massive PITA, but each 3D TV manufacturer uses their own "standard" for their glasses. My Fry's store has a crapton of SONY, Samsung, Panasonic (you get the picture) glasses, and each only works for their own brand. And none of them are cheap.

There are some glasses that claim to be universal, but they're all off-brand.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect these glasses to work with anything other than SONY. I don't know for sure, but I highly doubt it. I'd be pretty surprised if that were the case in fact.

I believe these glasses are supposed to be "universal." I bought two to go with my Mitsubishi.

From Amazon:
* Compatible with Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, and Sharp Active Shutter 3D ready displays that use IR emitters.

[quote name='ky151']I believe these glasses are supposed to be "universal." I bought two to go with my Mitsubishi.

From Amazon:
* Compatible with Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, and Sharp Active Shutter 3D ready displays that use IR emitters.[/QUOTE]

WOW! All right, these are made of win then. Thanks for the verification!

I got these the last time they were on sale to use with my Sony HX820. They work well, but I found them to be a little snug fitting. They fit my nephew though and he's mainly the one who wears them now when I watch stuff or play games in 3D.

[quote name='MisterFleX']I got these the last time they were on sale to use with my Sony HX820. They work well, but I found them to be a little snug fitting. They fit my nephew though and he's mainly the one who wears them now when I watch stuff or play games in 3D.[/QUOTE]

From the reviews I figured they would be too small for me, but may be better for girls or children.

I think I'll pick up a pair on my way home from work.

But am I the only one that find these glasses to be uncomfortable? I definitely feel a sharp edge on the bridge of my nose when wearing them unless I get them positioned just right.

[quote name='ky151']From the reviews I figured they would be too small for me, but may be better for girls or children.[/QUOTE]

They're not that tight for anyone with a normal to large face/head. I would say that they contain more plastic along the rims and therefore are less flexible than the second and third generation Sony 3D glasses. Personally, I love the current Sony titanium model glasses as they are super light, but they are also close to $100, so for $20-$30, these glasses are perfect.

Even Sony's official site lists them as universal IR glasses. I read the Best Buy reviews and a few of them mention working on Panasonic 3DTVs including my model, so I went ahead and ordered the max of 3 for in-store pick-up. Looking forward to finally/affordably being able to invite more than one friend over to watch some 3D movies. Thanks, OP!

Thanks for the heads up. I got a pair of these for my Sharp Aquos from Target (online return, super cheap). They feel cheap and are very light, but they work fine and don't buzz like my first party glasses. They also recharge with standard Micro USB cable, which is nice. Grabbing another set today.

Price matched to KMart and picked up three pair for $60 w/ credit i had. Guy says "i don't feel like calling KMart, I'll take your word for it." Pays to be a regular at best buy

Failed to find any sign of the 3D glasses (or Playstation 3D Display) at my two local Kmarts so went ahead and picked up my Best Buy order. Synched up no problem to my Panasonic VT20. No immediately noticeable differences in image quality/brightness during a very brief test A/B-ing them against the official Panasonic glasses. Gonna grab one more pair of glasses to round out my set to 6 total pairs (between the Pannys & Sonys) for when I have guests.

Thanks again for the heads-up, OP!

[quote name='Urahara']TYPICALLY they don't, but I'm not sure about these glasses in particular.

It's a massive PITA, but each 3D TV manufacturer uses their own "standard" for their glasses. My Fry's store has a crapton of SONY, Samsung, Panasonic (you get the picture) glasses, and each only works for their own brand. And none of them are cheap.

There are some glasses that claim to be universal, but they're all off-brand.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect these glasses to work with anything other than SONY. I don't know for sure, but I highly doubt it. I'd be pretty surprised if that were the case in fact.[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for them working on my Samsung 3D tv. Mine is a 2010 model though, so I can't say for sure if they'll work with the newer models.

I'm thinking about picking these up, but does anyone know if the KMart clearance is universal? They have them in stock at a KMart nearby, but it's a bit out of my way.

[quote name='dafunkk12'] Synched up no problem to my Panasonic VT20. ![/QUOTE]

Hmm. I got an older Panansonic 3D plasma TV. Maybe I could buy them and try them out.

How can I test them without a 3D movie though?

[quote name='Dreamcastguy']Hmm. I got an older Panansonic 3D plasma TV. Maybe I could buy them and try them out.

How can I test them without a 3D movie though?[/QUOTE]

If you have the PS3, you can try a 3d game out. Otherwise, of you have Comcast there is a specific 3d channel and if you have HBO, there is on demand HBO in 3d you can try.

[quote name='Dreamcastguy']Hmm. I got an older Panansonic 3D plasma TV. Maybe I could buy them and try them out.

How can I test them without a 3D movie though?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ibelongtohalo']If you have the PS3, you can try a 3d game out. Otherwise, of you have Comcast there is a specific 3d channel and if you have HBO, there is on demand HBO in 3d you can try.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for PS3 if you don't have an actual 3D game disc already, if you go to the PSN Store, under New Releases, you should find a bubble a few rows down that says 3D something-or-other. There ought to be a couple demos you can download.

As for cable, I've got Brighthouse (which is our local subsidiary of Time Warner); if you dig though the On-Demand offerings, there are a couple of free 3D shows you can cue up. Hopefully there's something similar w/ your content provider. Unfortunately I have to manually set my TV to side-by-side 3D mode since the cable box doesn't send the "3D content flag automatically."

And if it turns out the glasses don't work w/ your TV, I think you should be able to return them (even if open) to Best Buy.

I was denied a pm on this today at BBY. They said that their policy is to check the website or ad, they don't call stores at all anymore as it holds up the line.

The manager did give me the $50 back on the playstation TV without even checking on it, but said I'd have to wait until the line died down for him to call Kmart and check on the price since their site lists it at $20. I'd get it at Kmart, but I have a bunch of credit at BBY and want to get it there. I'll try again tomorrow, maybe go to another BBY.

The Kmart near me already sold out, but the guy at BB is very nice that he called a Kmart 57 miles away which still have $19.99 3D glasses in stock, so I price-matched and got a second pair.

funny how the title implies you would only use kmart to pm and not buy directly. haha
Anyway,got the last in my area from kmart. Luckily the clerk was nice and knowledgeable and found them buried in a box behind the counter. Wonder if they were stashed. But then he took the last reciept that printed for himself, after the 7% dscount. Wonder if he yanked some sywr $$ coupon without telling me or if the register was just printing junk at the end.

Now I need a bigger 3dtv than 24 where it makes sense to have more than one person watching. But seriously $20 should be the msrp of these by now if they want 3d to stick around.

If I don't have an emitter, I would have to buy one seperately right? I have aa mitsubishii wd-73c9. My plan is to buy a 3d blu ray player that supports checkerboard and a few pair of glasses.

[quote name='scottman']funny how the title implies you would only use kmart to pm and not buy directly. haha...[/QUOTE]

PM'ing elsewhere would actually allow more people to get in on the deal, instead of just a few people buying up the last few clearance pairs at K-Mart. ;)

I'll try this tomorrow and see if I can get another pair. Have one from the PS TV. If I end up hating them I'll just give the pair to my parents who bought a Sony 3D tv a little while ago, but it didn't come with glasses.

Anybody knows how long the battery in these glasses last? From the manual that came with 3D display, it says these glasses are to be thrown away once the battery dies out.

I bought some of these to replace my non-rechargable battery ones, and they work fine on my DLP/3d starter kit, but are not that great, imo.

The issues are they are very uncomfortable, and left a mark on my nose for a long time, and there is some sort of weird color-dithering artifact not present when using the ones that came with my 3d setup. Anyone notice this? It looks like when you run in a low color depth on your PC. Maybe something to do with the simulview feature that can be used on the PS 3D monitor. I'm keeping the on I opened, but I'm taking back my extras unfortunately.

Do appreciate the OP, though.

Why is the right lens on my sony 3d glasses "blinking"? I tried two of the 5 pairs and they both blink in the right lens. It only seems to blink when the screen has dark colors.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']Why is the right lens on my sony 3d glasses "blinking"? I tried two of the 5 pairs and they both blink in the right lens. It only seems to blink when the screen has dark colors.[/QUOTE]

If its what I think your talking about your one of those that can see the flicker. Many can't see it. I can and I can only watch 3d in passive like at theaters.

[quote name='Carbonite']If its what I think your talking about your one of those that can see the flicker. Many can't see it. I can and I can only watch 3d in passive like at theaters.[/QUOTE]

It's like a flickering black line in the middle of the right side. I only seem to see it when the screen gets dark. If the screen is bright, I don't see it.

bread's done
Back