Sony PS3 60GB system $649 @ GameExpress.com (New/Used???)

[quote name='Kanik']Anyone ordered from there before? Is it a legit business?

If this is new and not used then I'll definitely buy it. Been hunting for a 60gb for a month now. Stupid PS2 looks like garbage on my HDTV and the 80gb has "occasional stuttering" with some of my games.

Ugh, I would have a 60gb by now if Gamestop didn't sell defective systems or if people on craigslist weren't so anti-social.[/QUOTE]

I've had my used 60 gb PS3 from Gamestop for a year now, and haven't run into one problem with it, and I use it constantly for games / blu-ray's. Plus it had a 90 day warranty with it in case it broke, so I think most people will be able to know within 90 days if it works flawlessly or not.

This site is legit. They used to have a few B&Ms in the NYC/LI area. They used to have a good selection of imports and older systems. The stores closed and they went mainly mainstream. Some prices are high, but they're pretty good for some hard to find stuff.

[quote name='iHack']I have a 60GB (I loveee it) but I don't think I can see myself paying $600+ for it... As many others have said in this thread, if you REALLY want this, get it, if you can wait, wait for the 80GB Model with MGS.

PS to all, check craigslist, I have heard some crazy deals on there...[/quote]

I got my 60GB PS3 from craigslist. No problems with it the 3 months I've had it. Bought it from a crackhead for $250. The deals are out there, you just have to find them.

I agree with iHack that it is not worth $600.

NONE of the systems have full BC. the 60 is like 80-90% and can play most of the PS2 games and like 99% of PS1 (I've seen some people having issues with certain ps1 titles).

[quote name='cybersteve00']Cool, thanks. When do you think this will happen? I'm iching to get one. lol..[/quote]

What? A price drop? Not anytime soon, I would think. The 80GB MGS4/DS3 bundle is due in June and will retail for the usual $499.99.

[quote name='cybersteve00']Cool, thanks. When do you think this will happen? I'm iching to get one. lol..[/QUOTE] When will another price cut occur? It could happen at any time, but it's more likely to happen later rather than sooner. It's anyone's guess, but I'd wager that there'll be a $100 price cut this Christmas season as the 360 seems to be eating the PS3's lunch, so you may be looking at about a six month wait to save some money.

[quote name='NamPaehc']NONE of the systems have full BC. the 60 is like 80-90% and can play most of the PS2 games and like 99% of PS1 (I've seen some people having issues with certain ps1 titles).[/quote]

QFT. None of the PS3s can play Chrono Cross without freezing. It's a little depressing. Other than that, my 60 has served me incredibly well. Beat GTA IV thoroughly and I still haven't had the system freeze on me since I bought it. The upscaling and widescreen features are very nice, and I can't imagine going back to using a PS2, but it's probably not worth $650. I found my 60 brand new off of Craigslist for $400. Otherwise I would've waited before purchasing a PS3.

My 60gb stopped reading disks if the system was on. But, if it's 'off' and I put a disk in, it reads it fine. Kind of annoying, and weird, but I haven't sent it in for repair at this point. Anybody know what the standard warranty on these are? Is it 90 days, or 1 year?

[quote name='chrisnsally']My 60gb stopped reading disks if the system was on. But, if it's 'off' and I put a disk in, it reads it fine. Kind of annoying, and weird, but I haven't sent it in for repair at this point. Anybody know what the standard warranty on these are? Is it 90 days, or 1 year?[/QUOTE] No idea, but I've heard that it can be a draw out process to get a 60 gig model repaired since it has a different hardware setup compared to their current model.

You can still find the 60BG at Sam's club for $549 and it comes with Motorstorm. I just bought mine April 8th.

If you're wanting to play Ratchet PS2 games on an 80, you're SOL. Sure they'll "run", but with continuous slowdown. :bomb:

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']650 bones!?!?! Ouch! Just buy a 40 gb and a PS2 for $500, all brand new.[/quote]

It was $599 a few hours ago, no Thanks at either price.

$650? fuck on a stick, people. Look at Kmart. I got mine a month ago for $499.

And the 60GB BC is around 95%. Only a handful of games it won't run properly.

lol wtf? they must of saw this post and bumped it $50 bones... or maybe people are really just buying them at THAT price...

[quote name='rasone77']You can still find the 60BG at Sam's club for $549 and it comes with Motorstorm. I just bought mine April 8th.[/QUOTE]

Really? Most places (my Costco included) have been sold out for a while since the 60GB Version was discontinued last fall...

[quote name='expane']I dont understand how $150 ABOVE MSRP is a deal?[/quote]
OOP (Out Of Production)= "Rarity"

Take the PS1 game Final Fantasy 7 for example... High in demand, but it is OOP, if some site was selling it for $50 bucks brand new that could be considered a "deal". Even though it is higher then MSRP...

I believe these systems in time will still be on the rise just because of the Emotion Chip.

The thread title should be changed. I've ordered stuff of gameexpress.com in the past and they only sell "NEW". That price for 60GB seems fair market value right now, as the system is outta production and selling for more than that amount on ebay and in "USED" condition. For those people complaining about the price, that's how much the 60GB goes nowadays. Should've bought one, when Best Buy had there 60GB clearance sale with 5 free Blu-ray movides and 1 free game as any CAGer would state "That was a bargain for the 60GB bundle" and now they're way above MSRP.

[quote name='KSHLove']The 60gbs sold on the site are new it says NEW right next to Unit[/quote]

I noticed that too, I wonder if they have people scour the web to see it mentioned or getting attention then change accordingly. (Price hike then added NEW to the page when asked new or used)

Try checking your local Hastings also. I picked one up at my local Hastings not too long ago for $499. They had a sign up advertising new 60 gb units. When I inquired about them, the guy asked me "You sure you don't want an 80 gb? It comes with a game!" I was pretty surprised they had them.

[quote name='hollowfreak']So the only real thing this whole backward compatibility thing does is upscale, preventing "gaming lag", not actually upping the actual resolution? It just seems like a waste ... anyone who's ever played ps1 games on bleem! knows what I'm talking about. Why don't these companies ever go the extra mile? [/QUOTE]

It allows for upscaling and also has a smoothing filter that can be enabled for both PS1 and PS2 games.

Here's an an example of RE2 at 1080p:

Without upscaling:
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/a...-3-upscaling-comparison-20070601072105069.jpg

With upscaling
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/a...-3-upscaling-comparison-20070601072106522.jpg

With upscaling and smoothing:
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/a...-3-upscaling-comparison-20070601072103522.jpg

The upscaling is especially important for PS2 games, because many run at a bizarre sub-480i/p resolution that creates massive artifacting on many TVs (remember the complaints about the jaggies in PS2 games on the PS3 before the 1.50 update? That's what caused it and that's what those games will look like on many TVs when hooked up through component cables on the PS2). It doesn't allow for a true increase in the rendering resolution like Bleem, but usually that causes compatibility issues and is more difficult to implement.

Also, the 20/60GB PS3 models actually run PS2 games BETTER than they do on a PS2, alleviating many framerate issues in games such as Shadow of the Colossus and Killzone (although they still don't run perfectly smooth). The 80GB model runs PS2 games worse, so titles that already had a low framerate on the PS2 will be even worse on the 80GB PS3.

Ha, sorry guys. I contacted them earlier asking if it was new and if it fell under manufacture warranty. They gave me the answer, and 5 minutes after I got their e-mail they update the page bumping the price to $650 and placing "new" next to the name. :p

Regardless, I ordered a used 60gb from gamestop.com for $450. The people on craigslist are just too ridiculous, $250 "new" 60gb PS3 but I need to meet the guy inside his house in Harlem. Then, there's the guy who wants me to pay $700 for his used 60gb, oh, and he'll throw in a game too, madden 08! And the price is firm. And whenever someone lists a decent price, as soon as I ask "does it still work" they stop communicating with me. =/

Oh well, here's hoping the Gamestop one isn't broken. I swear, finding these things in the East Coast is ridiculous. I even signed up for Sam's Club recently because I thought they had them (they had the cardboard cuts you take to the register to redeem), turned out they only had the 40gb in stock but had 60gb cutouts. Bah!

At least now I can buy 10lbs of beef jerky for $5, and oranges the size of my head.

The easiest way to find one of these is to go on Gamestop.com, look up the 60GB system (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=64006) and do a search by zip code. It's only $450+tax and you're not dealing with sketchy people on Craigslist or questionably legitimate online retailers. The 60's are going extinct, grab one while you can.

If you're trying to decide whether or not to go with the 60 vs 80, check your PS2 games for backwards compatibility first: http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus .
The 80GB system still has more issues with games than the 60; problems with the MGS series and Metal Slug Anthology were enough for me to go with the 60GB.

I buy from GameExpress.com a lot. I've never had any problems with them. They have fast shipping and pretty good prices. If $650 seems like too much for you, then don't buy it. If I was in the market for one, I'd get it, but I already have a 20gig. If you wanted b/c, I would get a 20gig or a 60gig. The software emulation isn't very good.

[quote name='Kanik']Regardless, I ordered a used 60gb from gamestop.com for $450. The people on craigslist are just too ridiculous, $250 "new" 60gb PS3 but I need to meet the guy inside his house in Harlem.[/quote]

Wasn't that the setup for a Law & Order episode? :lol:

I never had a problem with my 60gb either. It plays all ps2&ps1 games better than the original consoles. (60 fps). I haven't gotten gta4, which is the first game i have heard of that has such issues with the 60gb (and 20gb). Sony never should have discontinued hardware backward compatibility. I am much more reluctant to buy ps3 games, since they probably won't run on their next console. Do they expect people to simply replace their existing library, and throw out their old games?

[quote name='wolfboy68']I never had a problem with my 60gb either. It plays all ps2&ps1 games better than the original consoles. (60 fps). I haven't gotten gta4, which is the first game i have heard of that has such issues with the 60gb (and 20gb). Sony never should have discontinued hardware backward compatibility. I am much more reluctant to buy ps3 games, since they probably won't run on their next console. Do they expect people to simply replace their existing library, and throw out their old games?[/quote]

It just goes to show how things change. Before the PS2, backwards compatibility was all but unheard of. Similarly, I remember paying $70 for new SNES games (Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy III, Earthbound) but now we gripe about the $60 tag on next gen games.

[quote name='sadunclesnugglez']Try checking your local Hastings also. I picked one up at my local Hastings not too long ago for $499. They had a sign up advertising new 60 gb units. When I inquired about them, the guy asked me "You sure you don't want an 80 gb? It comes with a game!" I was pretty surprised they had them.[/quote]
I got mine at Hastings too! I had to drive like an hour to the closest one, but I was able to get a brand new 60GB + an extra sixaxis controller for 450$ after 50$ mail in rebate. This was 2 or 3 months ago but it was an advertised special in their ad for 60GBs when everyone thought that they were totally gone from store shelves.

[quote name='thelonepig']It just goes to show how things change. Before the PS2, backwards compatibility was all but unheard of. Similarly, I remember paying $70 for new SNES games (Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy III, Earthbound) but now we gripe about the $60 tag on next gen games.[/quote]

Quite true... I spent nearly $80 pre-order on Street Fighter II. Final Fantasy II also stayed at a price range of $50 - $60 almost all the way up until FFVII came out.

[quote name='thelonepig']It just goes to show how things change. Before the PS2, backwards compatibility was all but unheard of. Similarly, I remember paying $70 for new SNES games (Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy III, Earthbound) but now we gripe about the $60 tag on next gen games.[/QUOTE]

Not quite unheard of maybe unsupported but it did exist ...
http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/snes/peripherals/super8.html
http://www.amazon.com/TRI-STAR-ADAPTOR-NINTENDO-SYSTEM-NINTNEDO/dp/B00122PNOS

[quote name='prateeko']Really? Most places (my Costco included) have been sold out for a while since the 60GB Version was discontinued last fall...[/quote]

No bullshit, of course this was three weeks before GTA IV came out, they might be sold out now. I haven't looked.

[quote name='hollowfreak']Not quite unheard of maybe unsupported but it did exist ...
http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/snes/peripherals/super8.html
http://www.amazon.com/TRI-STAR-ADAPTOR-NINTENDO-SYSTEM-NINTNEDO/dp/B00122PNOS[/quote]

My comment applied to official, licensed systems and products. For as long as video games have been around, folks have found ways of playing them without the original system (okay, maybe not as long as, but for many, many years). You might as well add ROMs and emulation to the list if you want to consider unsupported.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. ;)

[quote name='iHack']OOP (Out Of Production)= "Rarity"

Take the PS1 game Final Fantasy 7 for example... High in demand, but it is OOP, if some site was selling it for $50 bucks brand new that could be considered a "deal". Even though it is higher then MSRP...

I believe these systems in time will still be on the rise just because of the Emotion Chip.[/QUOTE]

i know its out of prod, but that doesn't make it a deal

[quote name='Edge']It allows for upscaling and also has a smoothing filter that can be enabled for both PS1 and PS2 games.

Here's an an example of RE2 at 1080p:

Without upscaling:
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/a...-3-upscaling-comparison-20070601072105069.jpg

With upscaling
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/a...-3-upscaling-comparison-20070601072106522.jpg

With upscaling and smoothing:
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/a...-3-upscaling-comparison-20070601072103522.jpg

The upscaling is especially important for PS2 games, because many run at a bizarre sub-480i/p resolution that creates massive artifacting on many TVs (remember the complaints about the jaggies in PS2 games on the PS3 before the 1.50 update? That's what caused it and that's what those games will look like on many TVs when hooked up through component cables on the PS2). It doesn't allow for a true increase in the rendering resolution like Bleem, but usually that causes compatibility issues and is more difficult to implement.

Also, the 20/60GB PS3 models actually run PS2 games BETTER than they do on a PS2, alleviating many framerate issues in games such as Shadow of the Colossus and Killzone (although they still don't run perfectly smooth). The 80GB model runs PS2 games worse, so titles that already had a low framerate on the PS2 will be even worse on the 80GB PS3.[/QUOTE]

no, almost everything you have written is completely false

the PS3 upscaling is no better than what most HDTVs already have. The pre 1.50 jaggy firmware had nothing to do w/ "not upscaling" it was a bug in the FW causing pixel flipping.

I have a PS2 and a PS3 hooked up side by side to the same HDTV both w/ component. The PS2 games over component are sharper and better looking. The PS3 actually blurs out details in the image when upscaled, even w/ smoothing off there is still a post image basic AA effect, no better than what is in $70 DVD players

It is also TECHNICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for the PS3 to run games "better" than a PS3 since it is not doing software emu. Not only are framerate issues impossible to fix w/o software EMU, there is ZERO proof of your claims

please stop spreading bogus urban myths around, you will only set people up for disappointment. The PS3 makes PS2 games look WORSE, always has, and it has been proven time and time again w/ side by side tests

[quote name='wolfboy68'] It plays all ps2&ps1 games better than the original consoles. (60 fps). [/QUOTE]

No it doesnt. That is technically impossible, and confirmed false by SCEA

This is kind of a pointless debate, because it's really impossible to define the term "resolution" when you look at the complexity of it. Whether or not the PS3 makes games look better or worse is up to the opinion of the viewer. There's just no point in arguing.

One thing that's inarguable is that no game machine can add additional detail to an image. Sure, they can rescale, apply anti-aliasing or other tricks, but it still only has the original image of the old game to process. So PS1 games will never appear "high-definition" in terms of detail.
Unless of course a developer rebuilds the game from scrath like Capcom did with Resident Evil for the Gamecube.

[quote name='expane']no, almost everything you have written is completely false

the PS3 upscaling is no better than what most HDTVs already have. The pre 1.50 jaggy firmware had nothing to do w/ "not upscaling" it was a bug in the FW causing pixel flipping.

I have a PS2 and a PS3 hooked up side by side to the same HDTV both w/ component. The PS2 games over component are sharper and better looking. The PS3 actually blurs out details in the image when upscaled, even w/ smoothing off there is still a post image basic AA effect, no better than what is in $70 DVD players

It is also TECHNICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for the PS3 to run games "better" than a PS3 since it is not doing software emu. Not only are framerate issues impossible to fix w/o software EMU, there is ZERO proof of your claims

please stop spreading bogus urban myths around, you will only set people up for disappointment. The PS3 makes PS2 games look WORSE, always has, and it has been proven time and time again w/ side by side tests[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I would hardly call firsthand experience which I can see with my own two eyes "urban legend". It is a fact that the PS2 outputs extremely bizzare sub-480i resolutions in several games over component. It is also a fact that many TVs cannot display that signal very well. The issue the pre-1.50 firmware had with specific PS2 games is for the exact same reason: the PS3 firmware didn't handle the non-standard resolution format any better than the TVs which had issues with the PS2 over component did.

And remember that the PS2 and pre-1.50 PS3 did NOT have these issues when progressive scan is enabled in a game: it only affects games that ran at a lower resolution and didn't have a progressive scan option. It is a fact that upscaling the image before the source reaches the TV is the only way to fix the issue on the affected sets, please don't suggest otherwise just because you don't personally have the issue.

And you are completely wrong about it being "technically impossible" for the PS3 to run games better than the PS2 did, because there are several ways that the PS2's bottlenecks can be alieviated when run on the PS3 even though it's still using the Dragon chip that in the slimline PS2. It's been reported by several users, and I've never heard anything that disproves the possibility. I'd certainly like to see proof of it either way, though.

[quote name='expane']The PS3 makes PS2 games look WORSE, always has, and it has been proven time and time again w/ side by side tests[/quote]

I'm not sure what televisions the guys doing the comparisons are using or if they are professionally calibrated, but I can tell you right now that on my setup (55" Sony SXRD PS3 HDMI, PS2 component) that PS1 and PS2 games benefit greatly from upscaling and smoothing.

Yes, it does "blur" things a bit, but I like this look better than the more jaggy look it has upscaled through my TV when using a PS2. I also think the games look better in motion upscaled and smoothed on the PS3. When compared as still pictures the effect used to smooth the image is much more apparent.

I think you're mistaking your personal preference for actual fact. Some will like the upscaled and smoothed look, others won't. However, for the record, I have never noticed any kind of frame rate or performance boost when playing the games on my PS3. I'd like to see an example of this if anyone has a link.

This week I got my PS3 from a guy on Craigslist, 60gb PS3, 3 games (RSV2, NCAA Football 08, Tiger Woods 08) = $350.

Made off like a bandit. :D

[quote name='MoFro']This week I got my PS3 from a guy on Craigslist, 60gb PS3, 3 games (RSV2, NCAA Football 08, Tiger Woods 08) = $350.

Made off like a bandit. :D[/quote]

You better hope it still works it six months but good deal.

bread's done
Back