Sony to release 4GB and 8GB Pro Duos

Well, if they would be affordable I would get excited, but there's no way these things are going to drop to a price I would consider anytime soon. Heck, I'm still using the 32MB card that came with the system.

I'd wager a gig runs roughly 60-70 bucks, so 8 would be between 480-560, but as cards get bigger the price increases, so somewhere between 550-700, and given that it is new technology (so to speak) that would drive it up even more.....

*Ow my head*

[quote name='shipwreck']Well, if they would be affordable I would get excited, but there's no way these things are going to drop to a price I would consider anytime soon. Heck, I'm still using the 32MB card that came with the system.[/QUOTE]

Me too but I have been really wanting to buy a 2GB but they are impossible to find and are really expensive. I would love to be able to watch some movies on my commute but sadly the 32MB isn't going to cut it.

Lately I feel like I'm always looking for memory. I need an external hard drive for my 60GB full laptop, a pro duo for my PSP and I'm starting to get curious about a bigger drive for my Xbox 360 (which I finally got online with last night for 5 minutes).

Yep, I've been eyeing the 1 gig Pro Duo cards that GameRush has for $99. Using trade-in credit it would only really cost me about $40 in actually money. I just keep thinking that $100 in GR credit could be better spent towards one of the upcoming systems or games for systems I already have.

Buying storage space is never fun.

I saw a projected timeline and price of flash memory for the coming year. It was on pcworld or pcmag.com (one of those two). Two gigabytes of flash memory is projected to hit $50 before the year is up. Then in 2007 Two gigabytes will hit about $35. I am waiting for the $50 price point because I need more digital camera memory in an sd card and a bigger pro duo stick for my psp. (keep in mind the sony brand anything always carries a premium in price)

do you think with the release of these bigger cards the prices for the 1 or 2GB will go down. I don't think I need that much storage, I'd be happy with just the latter.

Interesting, considering the PSP handles a max of 4GB at the moment. I'm guessing there'll be a firmware upgrade soon to remedy this.

Hopefully, with Sony also working on a MINI Pro Duo stick (like the damn thing wasnt tiny enough) that has sizes up to 32gb, the prices of the normal pro duo's will start to be lower and lower. Ive noticed that 4 gig MS PRo's go for only around $200 now a days, wish i wouldve waited instead of dropping $268 on a 4 gig for my psp.

8 gigs would cost lots and lots $$$$$. I think just a 256mb card is fine for someone that doesn't put movies on it.

I need these cards because I always have videos and music on my psp. But where are the 60gb ms pro duos so I can throw away my MP3 player?

Good news as my 512 MB just doesn't have enough space for me. I think I'll try to get a 2 GB once they're under $100. If I can get a 1 GB for under $50 soon, then I won't hold out for the 2 GB to get cheap.

good news. i don't really have a need for a 8gb pro duo (and probably can't afford it either). but the prices of the smaller size will drop bc of this.

Im sure the cost will go down heavily, especially when sony puts out the Memory Stick Micro.

msmicro_compare.jpg

Specs
- Dimensions: 15 x 12.5 x 1.2 mm
- Connector Pin: 11-pin
- Maximum Capacity: 32GB (Theoretical)
- Max. Data Transfer Rate: 160 Mbps (Theoretical)
- Operating Voltage: 1.7 - 1.95 V and 2.7 - 3.6 V
- Interface: Serial I/F and 4-bit parallel I/F
- Operating Temperature: -25 degrees to +85 degrees C
- Copyright Protection Technology: MagicGate

Sony says the Micro will come with a Pro Duo adapter for the PSP faithful. Im amazed that they say they'll be able to squeeze 32gigs into a chip 1/4 the size of the already tiny pro duo.

Sony> LET US MAKE TINIER CARDS, SO THAT PEOPLE WILL LOSE THEM, AND WE CAN MAKE MONEY OFF THEIR HILARITY

And Sony said it was good....

Good news I would really like one of the 4 g HDD's but Im concerned about how much it will drain the already taxed battery of the PSP,
I do like the thought of the 1 and 2's dropping in price, but as for teh bigger stuff, It's sony we are talking about, the 4 g will be like 500 USD and the 8 will be 1400 USD.
They are notorious for overpricing accessories and software,

[quote name='Bezerker']Heh, what is it with the japanese and them liking small things.

Oooh, burn![/QUOTE]

:rofl:

If they would be cheap I'd buy 'em so I could actually have a reason to use my PSP.

How come flash memory costs so much to manufacture (in relation to hard-drives)?

I bought the Gigapak PSP for $300 (1.0 gig memory stick from Sony)... and then I bought a Lexar and San Disk 1.0 gig memory sticks when they were around $50 (after rebate)... so basically, I only bite when the prices are reasonable.

I remember back in 2001, a 128 MB memory stick cost me about $100! So prices have gotten a lot better but flash memory is still so slow to drop.

[quote name='headpiece747']I need these cards because I always have videos and music on my psp. But where are the 60gb ms pro duos so I can throw away my MP3 player?[/QUOTE]

60 gig pro duos? if that was possible (might be, in fact), it would cost more than 1000 dollars at the going rate for pro duos currently...

[quote name='sabin23']How come flash memory costs so much to manufacture (in relation to hard-drives)?

I bought the Gigapak PSP for $300 (1.0 gig memory stick from Sony)... and then I bought a Lexar and San Disk 1.0 gig memory sticks when they were around $50 (after rebate)... so basically, I only bite when the prices are reasonable.

I remember back in 2001, a 128 MB memory stick cost me about $100! So prices have gotten a lot better but flash memory is still so slow to drop.[/QUOTE]

The same reason why cartridges are more expensive than CDs... a HDD is basically miniture discs that spin (but they're faster than CDs since there's a smaller radius to cover).

I think the Memory Stick Micro is ridiculous... there's no way in hell people would not lose that thing.

Oh, and whoever was wondering about that 4GB mini-HDD for the PSP, I believe it comes with it's own rechargable battery which actually extends the life of the PSP's battery.

[quote name='Vinny']The same reason why cartridges are more expensive than CDs... a HDD is basically miniture discs that spin (but they're faster than CDs since there's a smaller radius to cover).

I think the Memory Stick Micro is ridiculous... there's no way in hell people would not lose that thing.

Oh, and whoever was wondering about that 4GB mini-HDD for the PSP, I believe it comes with it's own rechargable battery which actually extends the life of the PSP's battery.[/QUOTE]

that's true about the 4gb thing...ign (i think) said that with the normal psp battery, it would drain the psp in 2.5 hours, but the 4gb thing comes with the rechargable battery that lasts for 5 or 6 hours if you use that over the normal psp battery

no wounder its like 100 sumthing $, hmmmmm HDD better cuz 4gig memory stick pro is like going to be 200-300$ rather pick up a HDD and then i can put music and hombrew at the same time finally ^^.....sony might come out with a new update NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I love my hombrew on 2.0.....maby sony might not update cuz this means big sells on GTA
cuz hombrew on 2.5 woot

The Memory Stick Micro is perfect for cell phones. Once you start taking pictures and videos you loose space quick. Heck, that means longer videos too.

And then there's PDAs...

I want a 40, 60, 80, or 120 Gigabyte version at the same cost as a current hard drive. In memory stick form of course.

Then I can finally use DVD Shrink and put all my anime and Garfield Seasons on it for the road.

Not to mention some other stuff.

[quote name='WebScud']The Memory Stick Micro is perfect for cell phones. Once you start taking pictures and videos you loose space quick. Heck, that means longer videos too.

And then there's PDAs...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just as long as you don't take it out of said devices and when you put them in do it over a big salad bowl so if it falls it can't go anywhere.

I'll go for the 2 gb card if it goes down or the 4 depending on the price. I'm sure San Disk and Lexar will be right behind Sony with their cheaper and probably better versions of the 4 and 8gb card.

The PSP is a great media device but I'd rather have a 200 gb portable hard drive with a 7 inch or so wide screen that can recognize just about any media format and text or something. That way I'll have my external hard drive and a screen to see everything on.

2 gig is like $175-$200 4 gig HDD $150-$175
lol loseing money on a 2 gig there
4 gig hdd is cheeper lol

[quote name='Hiei']2 gig is like $175-$200 4 gig HDD $150-$175
lol loseing money on a 2 gig there
4 gig hdd is cheeper lol[/QUOTE]

and much, much sower too. Seen a movie played on one and i was a bit choppy.

bread's done
Back