Sony's Cross-Buy Announcement

Bleedingwickedly

CAGiversary!
Feedback
73 (100%)
So at GamesCom this week, Sony announced Cross-buy! It has already been announced to work with three of PlayStation's upcoming First-Party Exclusives.

Playstation AllStars: Battle Royale
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal

Buying any of those games on PS3 scores you a free Vita copy. I realize it has just been announced, but I have a few questions/concerns about this. This really seems too good to be true. I am thinking this will only be if you purchase the game from PSN. Which wouldn't be a problem, except my PsVita is already maxed out at 16GBs. And we all know, prices take forever to go down on PSN. So to get both games you will need to pay the price of $59.99. It ends up still being cheaper then paying for a $60 PS3 game and a $40 Vita game.

I did read on G4 that both the Blu Ray disc and the Vita Card will both be in the same case. I really wish this is how it ends up. However I don't see Sony doing this. What happens if someone without a Vita buys the PS3 version? They get a Card that will never gets used? Just seems like they would be wasting a lot of money. If its not all download only, my guess is, buy the PS3 version and you get a code to download the Vita version for free. Regardless it looks like I need to be purchasing a larger Vita Memory Card.

Along with the Cross-Buy feature they announced two other features coming to some Vita games. Cross-Play allows users to play PS3 using their Vita as the controller. Also Cross-Save, which I thought was already announced, which allows you to save your game on the PS3/Vita and load it on your Vita/PS3 then resume playing.

In my opinion, Sony's GamesCom Press Confrence was HUGE for the Vita and it's owners. It's nice to finally know that I'll have something to play on my First Edition Bundle, since Golden Abyss, by the end of the year.

This certainly will help the Vita tremendously as people buying the PS3 games will have extra incentive to purchase a Vita.

I see Ratchet and Clank has returned to the double entrende way of naming the games, now.

Unless all 4 one was one too.

I'm kind of surprised that Little Big Karting and Metal Gear Solid 5 aren't part of this. They likely will be added as they near launch.

[quote name='dgwillia006']I might get PAS:BR since the Vita version will be free too....thats the only way i see myself getting it lol[/QUOTE]The Vita version is being developed by a different company. So you may want to hold off.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']I thought I read Full Frontal will be a PSN exclusive? Meaning no disc?.[/QUOTE]It's getting a full retail release in the EU.

And EA even commented that they could potentially do the Cross Buy promotion for the new Need for Speed as well.

I wonder how they will roll it out though. If they give you the physical Vita copy, a lot of people will sell that copy to lower cost...just a thought anyway.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I wonder how they will roll it out though. If they give you the physical Vita copy, a lot of people will sell that copy to lower cost...just a thought anyway.[/QUOTE]

Guarantee it's PSN download only.

Why not just include a voucher with the game on LE copies and only do it for first run copies? Gives an incentive to buy early for people interested in mobile gaming as well.

[quote name='PimpLimp']The Vita version is being developed by a different company. So you may want to hold off.

It's getting a full retail release in the EU.

And EA even commented that they could potentially do the Cross Buy promotion for the new Need for Speed as well.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I don't know why I think $15 when I think of it as download only(R&C). I hope we get a retail release, too.

[quote name='jaydepps']I'm kind of surprised that Little Big Karting and Metal Gear Solid 5 aren't part of this. They likely will be added as they near launch.[/QUOTE]LBP Karting isn't being developed for the Vita. And what game are you talking about when you say Metal Gear Solid 5? Do you mean Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance? Either way, Metal Gear Solid 5 hasn't even been announced yet and Revengeance isn't being developed for Vita either. So there you go lol.

Maybe the Vita game will be tied to the online pass. People will still sell the pass, but a lot of people, even if they don't have a Vita, will want to play online on their PS3.

[quote name='jaydepps']I'm kind of surprised that Little Big Karting and Metal Gear Solid 5 aren't part of this. They likely will be added as they near launch.[/QUOTE]

LBP Karting isn't coming out on the Vita. They haven't released any info on MGS 5.

[quote name='PimpLimp']The Vita version is being developed by a different company. So you may want to hold off.
[/QUOTE]
Where did that info come from? From my understanding, all these games are identical except for the controls. And if it was from a different developer, how would they do cross-play(at E3 2 people were on a vita, and 2 people were on a ps3 and the were all in the same match)?

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Super deal.

But anyways, physical copies of the PS3 game will come with a download code for the Vita version. That's how it will work.

"If you buy the PS3 version of Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (through traditional retailers or via PlayStation Network), you will be able to download the PS Vita version of Thieves in Time from PSN at no additional cost. That’s a pretty awesome deal!"

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...-in-time-gamescom-trailer-cross-play-details/[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info with link. Not sure how I missed that post.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Super deal.

But anyways, physical copies of the PS3 game will come with a download code for the Vita version. That's how it will work.

"If you buy the PS3 version of Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (through traditional retailers or via PlayStation Network), you will be able to download the PS Vita version of Thieves in Time from PSN at no additional cost. That’s a pretty awesome deal!"

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...-in-time-gamescom-trailer-cross-play-details/[/QUOTE]
This is a genius strategy. It makes customers very happy, but it will get a lot more people to buy bigger memory cards.

[quote name='Bleedingwickedly']Where did that info come from? From my understanding, all these games are identical except for the controls. And if it was from a different developer, how would they do cross-play(at E3 2 people were on a vita, and 2 people were on a ps3 and the were all in the same match)?[/QUOTE]It's being developed by Bluepoint.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/20/3172610/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-vita-preview

I'm not saying the Vita version is going to be bad or anything. In fact I'm looking forward to it. And the article seems positive. But all the videos we've seen so far have been strictly PS3 and I can't help being just the slightest bit doubtful.

[quote name='Bleedingwickedly']Where did that info come from? From my understanding, all these games are identical except for the controls. And if it was from a different developer, how would they do cross-play(at E3 2 people were on a vita, and 2 people were on a ps3 and the were all in the same match)?

Thanks for the info with link. Not sure how I missed that post.[/QUOTE]

It's a different developer doing the vita version but they're working very closely with Superbot. And little known fact but the engine that both versions run on was created by the vita developer, Bluepoint. So the vita version is in very capable hands.

This announcement excited me more than anything. I realize that it's not as easy as copying and pasting a game on another platform, but I'm also of the mind that I should be able to play any game I own on any console capable of running it. Why make us buy the same game twice?

Sony has been winning me over with the freebies. Still bummed about the game sharing limit they imposed on PSN games, though. They giveth, they taketh.

[quote name='CBas92']It's a different developer doing the vita version but they're working very closely with Superbot. And little known fact but the engine that both versions run on was created by the vita developer, Bluepoint. So the vita version is in very capable hands.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='PimpLimp']It's being developed by Bluepoint.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/20/3172610/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-vita-preview

I'm not saying the Vita version is going to be bad or anything. In fact I'm looking forward to it. And the article seems positive. But all the videos we've seen so far have been strictly PS3 and I can't help being just the slightest bit doubtful.[/QUOTE]
What are we talking about here? There is not a LittleBigPlanet game currently being developed for PS3 (that we know of).

Thanks guys. I was under the impression SuperBot was developing both versions. At least we will all be getting the Vita version free. Speaking on that, seems odd that one developer's version would be free by purchasing Another developer's game. Guess that's why they are working very close, will they be splitting the profits you think?

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']What are we talking about here? There is not a LittleBigPlanet game currently being developed for PS3 (that we know of).[/QUOTE]
Not LittleBigPlanet, we are talking about PlayStaion All Stars!

This is the kinda stuff Sony needs to do to reel more gamers in with the Vita. I personally think its a sweet system and it feels great from what I have played. I just remember how bored I got with my PSP and simply cannot justify the purchase right now. This is a good start. I hope that AC3/Vita bundle can be had for a good price on black friday... and with PS + coming to Vita I am hopeful Sony will make me NEED a Vita. If they do any sort of "Instant Game Collection" like they did for PS3, systems will sell.... Whaddya say Sony!?!?!

[quote name='KneeKnee']Just sold me on buying the PS3 versions instead of vita copies.[/QUOTE]

I agree but I couldn't see anyone buying only the Vita version now. Even if I didn't have a PS3, thats what I'd get. Also I hope with the cross-play feature, I hope they do something awesome. Like in Need For Speed, use the Vita as a controller, but make the sceen you NOS or the rear view mirror. I hope something like that is possible. It would definately give the Wii U a run for the money.

[quote name='brewin']This is the kinda stuff Sony needs to do to reel more gamers in with the Vita. I personally think its a sweet system and it feels great from what I have played. I just remember how bored I got with my PSP and simply cannot justify the purchase right now. This is a good start. I hope that AC3/Vita bundle can be had for a good price on black friday... and with PS + coming to Vita I am hopeful Sony will make me NEED a Vita. If they do any sort of "Instant Game Collection" like they did for PS3, systems will sell.... Whaddya say Sony!?!?![/QUOTE]
Couldn't agree more. This is the way the system should have been from the start. I think they will see a lot more sales, after these new features start becoming able to use and more frequent. Would love the Instant Game Collection on Vita, and I think it's safe to say that will happen. Maybe with somewhere around three games in it at a time.
The price isn't supposed to change, but with all the content for Plus members, I'd be happy with paying a little extra for Plus on Vita. Honestly I think they give way too much stuff for free as it is. Thad why I think it's funny when people complain about the games they make available. Unless you don't have an Internet connection, I just don't get why you wouldn't want to be a Plus member. I bought a PS3 on launch day. Feed up with the lack of games, I sold it four months later. About a year and a half ago, I rebought a PS3. I didn't even know about Plus until then. But I bought it the day I heard about it and I'll keep it as long as its available.

Really wish instead of just the PSone Classics, I'd like to see some more PSN games playable on the Vita. I think Pain would be amazing on the handheld.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good but didn't the new Sly game just get delayed to February? At least there will be a couple games out before years end that might sweeten the deal and make this a Vita Christmas ;-)

[quote name='Bleedingwickedly']The whole, one memory card per PSN account seems a lot worse now.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you've got it backwards. You can have one account on several memory cards as long as they are used on the Vita the account is registered to. You can also have up to two Vitas registered to a PSN account, but I don't know if you'd be able to share a memory card between the two.

I think I know where you got that from. You can only have one PSN account per memory card according to Sony, though I have read stuff to the contrary- apparently, you can store content from multiple accounts on one card, but you cannot access games from the inactive accounts. So in order to use the games bought with the currently inactive accounts, you have to restore your Vita to make the current account inactive, and the account with the content which you want to play active.

[quote name='Tygamr']Actually, you've got it backwards. You can have one account on several memory cards as long as they are used on the Vita the account is registered to. You can also have up to two Vitas registered to a PSN account, but I don't know if you'd be able to share a memory card between the two.

I think I know where you got that from. You can only have one PSN account per memory card according to Sony, though I have read stuff to the contrary- apparently, you can store content from multiple accounts on one card, but you cannot access games from the inactive accounts. So in order to use the games bought with the currently inactive accounts, you have to restore your Vita to make the current account inactive, and the account with the content which you want to play active.[/QUOTE]

That's awesome, thanks for clearing that up for me. So i could have two 16GB cards with different games on each one and swap them out? Kinda sucks that I gave that 8GB card away now...FACEPLANT!

This is fantastic news. The ability to cross-play systems is what got me interested in the vita to begin with, and I was just hoping they would implement this is sort of buying option down the road.

This has completely validated my purchase, and I was already happy with it to begin with. Good form, sony.

This is the kind of thing that would make me be tempted by a PS Vita. If they keep it up and don't let it peter out. Like they usually do.

This is the same thing that's great about the strategy Apple's been using. You really SHOULD be able to buy a game and have it work on all your devices. You choose the device, you choose the game, but the two are not interconnected. You are not locked to just one device. You use whatever you want to play whatever you want.

That's the future. I'm hoping Sony sees that this is important and could help them really wipe Microsoft off the map with regards to value and convenience. And off the map, at least temporarily. The PS Vita should still be more capable than a given tablet atm and this is a good time to really emphasize how (presumably) "great" it is to be in the Playstation infrastructure.

They best do it now before the PS Vita is being regularly outshone by iPad's, $200 Android tablets, and (again presumably) Surface tablets.

A few weeks ago, I was deciding which version of ALL Stars I would get- but this deal is fantastic. As we get closer to launch, we will get the full details. I hope this isn't just for PSN downloads (example: buy All Stars on PSN, get it for Vita on PSN free.). I really want a Blu Ray and a cartridge, but a Bly Ray and a vita download may be okay too.

As an early adopter for the Vita, this makes me happier.

The whole Gamescom conference was exactly the shot in the arm the Vita needed. Cross-buy is fantastic, but the PS Mobile stuff will be a great addition too. Games like Super Crate Box will be fantastic on the Vita after the nearly unplayable version on IOS. Also, the PS Mobile games will eventually have trophy support.

Don't forget Zen Pinball 2 will be 100% cross-buy and that drops on 9/4.

This is truly great for all gamers. I play my Vita quite often so having the able to take my saved game file to work, and continuing progress is a win win for me. I still have to play through the other two Sly Cooper games before I get the next one. I'll get around to it though.

For the couple of people saying there hasn't been any info on Metal Gear Solid 5. Hideo already said that he is working on the next Metal Gear Solid even though he swore up and down that 4 was his last one and the one before that. Maybe seeing his game get so butchered up changed his mind. Granted it probably is being developed for the next console, he has already begun work on it.

Interesting this is great for those who pre-order and/or buy games at launch.

I'm guessing this offer won't be around when the games price drop and/or go Greatest Hits. I usually wait for the Greatest Hits version, sometimes for more content.

I usually game at home so more attention would go to the PS3 versions. I still wish you could register your PSP games somehow for a digital copy for your Vita.

[quote name='Bleedingwickedly']I agree but I couldn't see anyone buying only the Vita version now. [/QUOTE]

I'm still keeping my 29.99 newegg Vita All Stars Battle preorder. This is very awesome for Sony to be doing this and if they keep it up I may get some games this way but some games I know I will never play on PS3 so its cheaper to just get the Vita version. Now if they do this for NFS MW then that I may get the PS3 version for.

I love how people are saying this is great for gamers... The real issue is that noone wants to buy the exact same game twice. (Which is what they were expecting you to do before) All the industry experts were saying that cross play was going to do very poorly as it was implemented. So, this move was inevitable. I'm just glad they realized that now and now 3 months into the cross-play's life cycle after everyone's already pissed off about it.

I don't understand. This was posted in the deals forum as an announcement that most had already discussed for a day in the PSN thread?

[quote name='gameswapper']I don't understand. This was posted in the deals forum as an announcement that most had already discussed for a day in the PSN thread?[/QUOTE]
you are right. This really shouldnt have been posted in the deals section

Sony truly will have to do something or they would never sell a single Vita copy of a Cross-Buy title. Single console owners would simply buy the PS3 version and sell the copy/code of the version they don't need. This would also create a big market of like new Vita copies or unused codes (depending on which direction Sony goes) that would also cut into Vita sales.

My guess would be (if this is not already possible) would be a menu item in the PS3 version that would launch the store and authorize a Vita download without displaying a code. Then the Vita copy would be tied to the PSN account, eliminating second-hand shenanigans.

[quote name='Kazuya']Sony truly will have to do something or they would never sell a single Vita copy of a Cross-Buy title. Single console owners would simply buy the PS3 version and sell the copy/code of the version they don't need. This would also create a big market of like new Vita copies or unused codes (depending on which direction Sony goes) that would also cut into Vita sales.

My guess would be (if this is not already possible) would be a menu item in the PS3 version that would launch the store and authorize a Vita download without displaying a code. Then the Vita copy would be tied to the PSN account, eliminating second-hand shenanigans.[/QUOTE]
The problem was this was going to happen any way... Sure a few people would pay $100 ($60 for ps3 and $40 for vita) so they can play across both systems but the majority of people would only buy one or the other anyway. So, at least this way they appease the masses and push the idea of owning both systems (which is where sony gets the majority of their money).

[quote name='Woocls']The problem was this was going to happen any way... Sure a few people would pay $100 ($60 for ps3 and $40 for vita) so they can play across both systems but the majority of people would only buy one or the other anyway. So, at least this way they appease the masses and push the idea of owning both systems (which is where sony gets the majority of their money).[/QUOTE]

Of course it was going to happen, but none of the games to feature it were coming out until Fall so I understand why they waited.

I think he has a point though, they probably needed to come up with something different from simple vouchers to avoid rampant exploitation, so that might be another reason for the delayed announcement.

I've been waiting to buy a vita until sony does the cross-play like they promised in the beginning. I believe they promised the same thing with the psp but it never delivered like it was sold to.

bread's done
Back