Soundgarden Reunite!

pitfallharry219

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
now all we need is STP to get back together and for kurt cobain to come back from the dead ( or be cloned) and thered be some good music out there again.

STP has gotten back together and toured already (a new album is on the way). And while I do enjoy STP, their "good music" went bye-bye with Tiny Music - hated that every song on that fucking album seemed like a Stones/Beatles rip-off.

Nonetheless, I'll refrain judgement on a Soundgarden reunion, atleast until I see what they do. Down on the Upside wasn't a smash hit, but I still dug it.

I love Soundgarden but Cornell has gotten soft. I don't know if he has what it takes to make good music anymore.

I hated his solo shit and Audioslave bored me to tears.

Overall chance of sucking: 70%
(Percentage may change based on Timbaland's involvement)

And I thought Matt Cameron was in Pearl Jam now?

Yeah Cameron is Pearl Jam's drummer. And I don't think he'd quit PJ as he's been with them since 1998 and is close friends with Vedder. And more involved musically than he was with SG--writing a few songs, doing a lot of backing vocals etc.

So if he's back to SG it would be when PJ isn't active--which would be fine as PJ only does full tours every 3 years or so when an Albums out. Only problem here is PJ will probably do a full tour next year since they just did a short fall tour in support of Backspacer.

So I'd more guess that SG will get a new drummer.

Very psyched to hear this. I do think Cornell's vocals have gone way down hill but so have James Hetfield's and I still pay to see Metallica live. I can't wait for Soundgarden to announce a tour, I'll definitely be there. How awesome would it be if they toured with Rage Against the Machine?

[quote name='jupiterjones']Overall chance of sucking: 70%
[/QUOTE]

LOL. I dunno, I was impressed with Alice in Chains' recent comeback CD, and they had the biggest reunion obstacle of all to overcome - they needed a new singer. So if they can do it, Soundgarden can do it. Cornell has still got it, as long as we pretend the Timbaland thing was just a bad dream.

Yeah, I think it can be very good if they write the songs together like they used to--and like Cornell did with Audioslave.

I do think at best it will be like the AiC comeback. Very good, but of course not up to par with the old stuff.

But that's true even of bands that didn't break up. I loved Pearl Jam's self titled release and Backspacer for instance, but they're not on par with Ten, Vs. or Yield.

Rock music is largely the domain of the young, no older bands material touches their earlier stuff that I can think of.

[quote name='tcrash247']Very psyched to hear this. I do think Cornell's vocals have gone way down hill but so have James Hetfield's and I still pay to see Metallica live.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Cornell needs to start smoking and drinking again, and Hetfield needs to un-take those singing lessons.

But I'm psyched for this. Soundgarden is awesome. And I love Chris Cornell, so this is double good for me. :D

After badmotorfinger it all went downhill for them. The first three ablums (pre-mainstream exposure) were good if not great.

[quote name='eldergamer']After badmotorfinger it all went downhill for them. The first three ablums (pre-mainstream exposure) were good if not great.[/QUOTE]

I concur. Still waiting for another Temple of the Dog album.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm exactly opposite. Really dig SuperUnknown and Down on the Upside, don't care that much for most of their older stuff.

Older stuff was more metal than grunge really, and I've never been big on Metal while grunge remains my most listened to genre. With Pearl Jam being my favorite band since Ten and bands like Soundgarden (later stuff), Nirvana, Alice in Chains, etc. still getting a lot of listens today.

[quote name='Xevious']I love Soundgarden but Cornell has gotten soft. I don't know if he has what it takes to make good music anymore.

I hated his solo shit and Audioslave bored me to tears.[/QUOTE]
I Agree on all counts...

How can you make a song called Jesus Christ Pose and then go to working with Timbaland and then go back to that band and be taken seriously?

[quote name='slickkill77']Hate that band and their stupid song black hole sun. The song that never ends[/QUOTE]

I feel the same thing, granted I am a sucker for Spoonman.

This doesn't shock me. The money probably ran out for Cornell since everything he did since Soundgarden sucked.

[quote name='lordopus99']I feel the same thing, granted I am a sucker for Spoonman.

This doesn't shock me. The money probably ran out for Cornell since everything he did since Soundgarden sucked.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but that's just plain wrong. He solo stuff was pretty good, and Audioslave was fucking awesome. Cornell definitely didn't run out of money. He more than likely went back to Soundgarden just because he was getting sick of working alone and needed a band.

I didn't care for his solo stuff, but I too love Audioslave.

I'll be interested to hear how the new Soundgarden are, and what any new songs are like. Though I'm happy Matt Cameron stayed with Pearl Jam!

Setlist from last night:

01. Spoonman
02. Gun
03. Searching With My Good Eye Closed
04. Rusty Cage
05. Beyond The Wheel
06. Flower
07. Ugly Truth
08. Fell On Black Days
09. Hunted Down
10. Nothing To Say
11. Loud Love
12. Blow Up The Outside World
13. Pretty Noose
14. Outshined
15. Slaves And Bulldozers

Encore:

16. Get On The Snake
17. Big Dumb Sex
18. Waiting For The Sun (THE DOORS cover)

Really surprising to me, half the songs are pre Badmotorfinger. I'd kill to have seen that show.

[quote name='tcrash247']Setlist from last night:

01. Spoonman
02. Gun
03. Searching With My Good Eye Closed
04. Rusty Cage
05. Beyond The Wheel
06. Flower
07. Ugly Truth
08. Fell On Black Days
09. Hunted Down
10. Nothing To Say
11. Loud Love
12. Blow Up The Outside World
13. Pretty Noose
14. Outshined
15. Slaves And Bulldozers

Encore:

16. Get On The Snake
17. Big Dumb Sex
18. Waiting For The Sun (THE DOORS cover)

Really surprising to me, half the songs are pre Badmotorfinger. I'd kill to have seen that show.[/QUOTE]

That's such an awesome setlist. I wish I wasn't a poor college student. :(

As long as they don't do that "Remake" to Billie Jean. I normally like that guys singing but when I heard his version, I was about to gas up the car AND FIND HIM. (breathe,breathe,wuuusaaaa,wuuusaaaa)

I forgot to ask, is anybody going to see them play at Lollapalooza? I live close to Chicago, so I'll be there all three days. It would be cool to know some other CAGs will be around.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I forgot to ask, is anybody going to see them play at Lollapalooza? I live close to Chicago, so I'll be there all three days. It would be cool to know some other CAGs will be around.[/QUOTE]

Would like to, but haven't made a decision yet. How much are tickets?

[quote name='shieryda']Would like to, but haven't made a decision yet. How much are tickets?[/QUOTE]

According to the website, $215 for a 3 day pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tcrash247']http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138678

Here's audio of them performing Beyond The Wheel and Hunted Down. I'm shocked at Cornell's voice on Beyond The Wheel, I expected it to not sound nearly that good. When I saw Audioslave, Cornell sounded pretty bad on Rusty Cage, but this sounds 100xs better.

EDIT - Audio boot of entire show: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NSYSNYOZ[/QUOTE]

Really happy about the link! Downloading now. Been looking on Youtube for videos of this show. Hopefully the quality is good.

bread's done
Back