Space Invaders Extreme 2 - $4.99 New, $8.99 Used (Not Available Online)

[quote name='token2k6']well if part 2 isn't on the PSP, this probably makes it the definitive system to get it for..now to look for a deal on part 1[/QUOTE]

The Nintendo DS version was always the definitive version... heck, the PSP doesn't even have online play.

The GS about five minutes from my place showed none in stock the last two days. Miraculously, one appeared yesterday and I picked it up last night. It was gutted but, who cares for a 4.99 game thanks op!

picked up a copy today and went to the counter... they looked in a drawer and pulled out another case... another gutted case... awesome to have a GS that guts everything.

[quote name='destro4eva']Fantastic game, DS Lite owners should import the paddle controller for this one. It kicks ass.[/QUOTE]

Does the paddle controller work with the DSi or DSi XL?

[quote name='Afflicted']picked up a copy today and went to the counter... they looked in a drawer and pulled out another case... another gutted case... awesome to have a GS that guts everything.[/QUOTE]

I was lucky enough to have them go back and pull out a sealed copy. I figured I'd just be given the display copy like I usually have been in the past.

I'd shop at GameStop more often if I could be guaranteed a sealed copy. As it is, the only time I'm buying from them now is when something is significantly marked down. I don't mind an opened copy terribly if I'm saving $10-20.

[quote name='jjoplinfan']Does the paddle controller work with the DSi or DSi XL?[/QUOTE]

It goes in the GBA slot, so nope.

I was able to snag the last copy at one of the stores. Played it some last night and this morning - good game so far. Thanks for the info.

Last store copy for me as well. I was really annoyed that they were talking about who was going to check out Ivy the Kiwi that night - I thought they stopped the practice of letting employees play the new games.

[quote name='Spyder187']Quoted for originality. I have never ever heard of this happenning before...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well it just pisses me off every time that happens. That's why I hate going there.

[quote name='destro4eva']Fantastic game, DS Lite owners should import the paddle controller for this one. It kicks ass.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The only game I still need that supports it is Space Bust-a-Move....

Finally picked up the last sealed copy after hitting a few GS on the way.

Is the first one better than this one since some reviews gave the first one a higher rating?

[quote name='eau']Finally picked up the last sealed copy after hitting a few GS on the way.

Is the first one better than this one since some reviews gave the first one a higher rating?[/QUOTE]

I personally think the 2nd one is much better than the first. I have both. I think the first one might have gotten a higher review because it came out first, but the second one definitely has some improvements compared to the first.

[quote name='eau']Finally picked up the last sealed copy after hitting a few GS on the way.

Is the first one better than this one since some reviews gave the first one a higher rating?[/QUOTE]

I, like many of you out there, picked up the last ("new") copy yesterday. Thanks profanedic.
I remember the reviews basically saying the first one was great and so is the sequel, but there's just not a lot of new features.

Worth $5 if you have the first one? Most likely.

thanks for clarifying, darkburst and hellboypi.

I don't have the first game. I just thought I might want to eventually get hold of it if it was better than the second one. It sounds like they are pretty much the same with no special things missing in the sequel. It's just that the sequel is more polished but lacks new things (ie, more of the same) and that's probably why the reviews didn't give it as good a rating as the first game.

Just checked around for the paddle controller...yikes! eBay prices are at least $30 or higher and online stores are comparable. I'd like to get the controller, but given its limited use I can't see spending that much on it.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Just checked around for the paddle controller...yikes! eBay prices are at least $30 or higher and online stores are comparable. I'd like to get the controller, but given its limited use I can't see spending that much on it.[/QUOTE]

I rationalize not getting the paddle controller by reminding myself that I can't use it and the rumble pak at the same time, and I like using the rumble pak.

Unless... there isn't included rumble or a pass-through slot, is there?

I need to go grab this while some of the stores around here still have it.

I picked up the paddle off ebay for $25 shipped. The way I rationalized it, this might be the last 'paddle' accessory ever made for a handheld, and by all accounts it's really well done. I've always loved paddle games so it works out for me. Also, I don't have a rumble cart yet so I won't know what I'm missing (although I love ruble too.)

Now I just gotta get the other three games that actually support the thing lol

picked up a copy in Calexico, CA. It was a gutted copy, but i didn't care, it was in mint condition. Can't beat $4.99

[quote name='DJ_Tet']I picked up the paddle off ebay for $25 shipped. The way I rationalized it, this might be the last 'paddle' accessory ever made for a handheld, and by all accounts it's really well done. I've always loved paddle games so it works out for me. Also, I don't have a rumble cart yet so I won't know what I'm missing (although I love ruble too.)

Now I just gotta get the other three games that actually support the thing lol[/QUOTE]

Which other games support it (I saw it bundled with Arkanoid)? If I already have them I might be more tempted to pick one up.

Also, is there just one version for the DS or two versions, one for DS and another for DS Lite?

Unfortunately, most of the paddles I saw on eBay were pink...yuck!

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Which other games support it (I saw it bundled with Arkanoid)? If I already have them I might be more tempted to pick one up.

Also, is there just one version for the DS or two versions, one for DS and another for DS Lite?

Unfortunately, most of the paddles I saw on eBay were pink...yuck![/QUOTE]

There's only one version of the paddle, but it's available in four different colors (Black, White, Pink and Silver). Pink is pretty easy to find, silver a little harder, white and black are near impossible.

The controller is compatible with Arkanoid DS, Space Invaders Extreme 1 and 2 and Space Bust-a-Move.

[quote name='UncleBob']There's only one version of the paddle, but it's available in four different colors (Black, White, Pink and Silver). Pink is pretty easy to find, silver a little harder, white and black are near impossible.

The controller is compatible with Arkanoid DS, Space Invaders Extreme 1 and 2 and Space Bust-a-Move.[/QUOTE]

Good deal. Thanks for the details! I'm tempted to get one just for the exclusivity of it, thout I doubt I'd use it very often.

And "Space Bust-a-Move"....seriously? What the heck is that and who names these games?

[quote name='msdmoney']Not having a system has never stopped a CAG from buying a game before.[/QUOTE]
That's true for me. At the time I did not have PSP, but I bought Castlevania Chronicle X,SH0 and FFT when GS had their clearance sale.
$8.99 per title. Can't beat that with a stick!

If anyone would like to tell me how some assball got 300,000,000 points in Normal Ranking Mode, I'd love to know.

[quote name='Vegan']Talk to dvd8mad for paddles, he was able to get white ones, no problem. Probably cheaper than ebay, too.[/QUOTE]

Did a search for dvd8mad and didn't find him, is he no longer a CAG? Looking for an affordable DS paddle, let me know if you guys see anything

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Got my copy new and sealed. Thank god my state's laws combined with the Attorney General allows me to get non-gutted games.[/QUOTE]

wait what? what state law? and which state? time to write my senator...

[quote name='confoosious']wait what? what state law? and which state? time to write my senator...[/QUOTE]

come on confoosious, didn't you learn that writing your senator does nothing? :lol: that letter I wrote in the 5th grade to one in my state clearly went unnoticed...

I talked to dv8mad and he can still get paddles but he doesn't have any currently. I decided between shipping and the finding fee on his website that $25 shipped from the US is reasonable. If he had some in stock I think that would be the way to go, perhaps he can give you a better quote if you contact him he responds to pm's quickly.

As for the color it doesn't bother me. My DS lite is pink already so it will match lol

[quote name='DJ_Tet']I talked to dv8mad and he can still get paddles but he doesn't have any currently. I decided between shipping and the finding fee on his website that $25 shipped from the US is reasonable. If he had some in stock I think that would be the way to go, perhaps he can give you a better quote if you contact him he responds to pm's quickly.

As for the color it doesn't bother me. My DS lite is pink already so it will match lol[/QUOTE]

Thanks DJ following your lead.

I'll contact him about one...the more that do... should be less without fees...

i just pm'd him here on CAG.
Perhaps other members who want a paddle will do the same?

I asked about a black one and provided my USA Zip code and the fact I have a Paypal account. Presently he has no listings on EBay and this way should save fees.

[quote name='00-shoe']SIE 2 went up to $9.99[/QUOTE]
WTH. Someone finally figured out they were selling it cheaper than the used copy.

[quote name='eau']Is the first one better than this one since some reviews gave the first one a higher rating?[/QUOTE]

No, the second one is superior. Reviewers gave it the obligatory lower sequel score, probably without playing the game. It's hard not to notices the differences:

- more levels
- better difficulty balance (just as hard, but doesn't feel cheap)
- you don't lose two levels on your cannon when you die (SO IMPORTANT)
- stage select mode now starts you with appropriate cannon levls
- better bonus system with improved gameflow and more strategy
- fever mode is more straightforward (no obscure combinations to get big laser)
- more enemy types

The graphics and soundtrack at least as good as the original, if not better. I loved the first SIE enough that I went out and got the sequel on day one, but I haven't gone back to SIE since. SIE2 is just that good.

Interesting that it went up to $9.99. Gamestop has been tweeting this:

Come to our Get Schooled DS event on 9/12 qnd get $5 off any DS game! Details here: http://ht.ly/2BmW2

So you can still get it for $5, but not for free. At least if you can find it locally on the 12th. It doesn't appear to be happening at all stores, though.

Yeah I can confirm the price hike back to $9.99. I walked into the store this morning to pick up the game, and the clerk told me about the increased price after I arrived at the counter with game in hand.

I know the deal is dead but I just wanted to throw this in here.

I got my paddle today and I gotta say, anyone on the fence with this product should jump in.

It's not a piece of junk like the original NES Arkanoid controller, this thing is arcade-quality. After reading CKholer's review here http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2007/09/hands-on-why-ta/ I had high expectations in terms of the 'weight' of the dial and it's motion and even with those high hopes, they were exceeded when I first got to spin the thing.

It's definitely the best home dial controller I've ever had, although I've only had a few mid 90's PC versions and the original NES Arkanoid controller. Now I'm just hoping someone has figured out a way to emulate Tempest 2000 on the DS so I can play it with this controller and my life would finally have meaning.

BTW I haven't even used the controller yet. But you can just tell when you spin it, this thing is awesome.

The dial controller sounds great, but I don't understand what it has to do with Space Invaders. Space Invaders didn't use a dial controller, and had it, it would have sucked. Is Space Invaders Extreme (2) designed for it, and if so, how is the game also good without it? Since I've got a DSi, the paddle controller isn't an option anyway.

bread's done
Back