Speculation is not over yet!

I'll throw my hat in with a free game, and that game being Wii Play, since A) we've heard nothing about a state-side release, B) it would be easy for them just to chuck it in, and C) It would be yet more reason for someone to cough up more money and buy an extra Wiimote at launch.

In the end, wouldn't be shocked if nothing came of this at all.

Have to agree with those that mentioned Wiiplay bundled in.

Makes sense as it's a launch title bundled with a Wiimote in Japan, and there's still no mention of a release of it here even though it's been featured on the Nintendo Fusion tour.

If there is indeed something, the odds of it being anything hardware based is very small.

The odds of it being an extra pack in are also small. We've already seen pics of the boxes with what's included.

The odds of it being a cheaper price are also very small. With retailers already taking preorders and the good response they've gotten, there is no reason to lower the price on the system.

My guesses in order of probability:
1) Announcing a big title for the VC. This is the easiest thing for Nintendo to do, and also the easiest to keep quiet up till a few weeks before the release.

2) Announcing a free VC download or some free Wiipoints. It really wouldn't cost them anything, and would probably actually be a good idea. If you give people a free download who otherwise probably wouldn't be that inclined to try the VC, they might get hooked and buy more.

3) Announcing a earlier release date for a certain game. Less likely than a VC game, but it's possible that they found out something was ahead of schedule not too long ago and decided to sit on it for a month or so just to have a big announcement at launch. I wouldn't expect anything dramatic like SM Galaxy being a launch game though.

4) Something else software related. I don't know exactly, but it's always much easier late in the game to fool with the software than with hardware.

5) Including a voucher for a discounted Wiimote or some other accessory. This is also very easy for them to do. One of the big things they've gotten flak for is at 60 bucks the wiimote and nunchuck are pretty expensive for a system being sold as family friendly.

Something VC related is the most likely.

[quote name='topnotch97']the Wii would be able to play DS titles, via the SD slots.

maybe. but hey, it's possible.[/QUOTE]

Not really, an SD card and DS cards are different sizes.

720p/1080i Take that PS3........ I know it's not going to happen

But I do remember reading somewhere before that the Hollywood GPU is capable of it , I wish I could find the article.

[quote name='Plinko']My guess--it's either Rare-published games on the VC
[/quote]
I doubt it, since Rare could always release their games on XBLA.

I'm guessing a free classic game, either already "downloaded" and ready to play out of the box, or you get to pick.

It's a good way to get new Wii users thinking about the classic games and used to buying them.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Have to agree with those that mentioned Wiiplay bundled in.

Makes sense as it's a launch title bundled with a Wiimote in Japan, and there's still no mention of a release of it here even though it's been featured on the Nintendo Fusion tour.[/QUOTE]
Why bundle two games with the system? Wii Play makes much more sense bundled with a controller as it gives incentive for gamers to go ahead and pick up that second controller. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it doesn't seem to make the most sense.

I think the tie-in with the VC does seem to make some sense, as it would give gamers a taste and encourage use of the service. I wouldn't be surprised to see one free download, or something of that ilk. Of course, I always figured they would do something like that and was surprised at the inclusion of Wii Sports instead.

[quote name='lordwow']Maybe... another system on the VC?[/QUOTE]

B0007ZCMDG.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

Gamestation FTW!

[quote name='Kfoster1979']720p/1080i Take that PS3........ I know it's not going to happen

But I do remember reading somewhere before that the Hollywood GPU is capable of it , I wish I could find the article.[/QUOTE]

i have heard that, it would push the system to its limits, but it could do HD if someone programmed for it............but i could be completely wrong

[quote name='elwood731']Why bundle two games with the system? Wii Play makes much more sense bundled with a controller as it gives incentive for gamers to go ahead and pick up that second controller. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it doesn't seem to make the most sense.
[/QUOTE]

Just seems odd that it's bundled with a controller at launch at Japan and not here. It's a bunch of lame minigames, it's not like translation is holding them up. :D

That's the main reason I could see it happening. There's not much sense in bundling it with a controller down the road when so many people buy their extra controllers at or near launch, and it's not something that's going to sell as a standalone game.

I saw that this rumor came from some statement Reggie made to Gamestop employees. We learned in August and September that "surprise" to Reggie is our ho-hum press announcement.

They'll announce the Wii Play & Controller bundle for North America. I'm convinced of it.

[quote name='dothog']I saw that this rumor came from some statement Reggie made to Gamestop employees. We learned in August and September that "surprise" to Reggie is our ho-hum press announcement.

They'll announce the Wii Play & Controller bundle for North America. I'm convinced of it.[/QUOTE]

I'm holdin' ya to it, pardner.

Some folks at neogaf posted some info and an interview that allegedly came from the new Edge magazine:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126273

[quote name='NeoGAF member Rocked']General Wii stuff

- CNN has signed up with Nintendo as the provider of news content on tne News Channel in American and Japan. News will be presented by category, but another way of getting to it is by spinning the weather globe to find stories in different countries

- Sega has moved a significant number of development staff from PS3 to Wii over the Summer

- Although Nintendo has removed DVD movie playback from the Wii, it plans to launch in Japan next year an enhanced Wii capable of such a feature

- Nintendo intended to bring Wii to shop shelves in the UK and US for £150 and $200, but became influenced by pressure from the larger retail chains, which raised concerns over margins and low so-called 'basket value' (ie, the amount of revenue generated from a customer's overall purchases at the till)

- There are plenty of Wii Channel slots remaining to be filled

- Edge says that Wii Sports will be to Wii what Mario 64 was to the N64. Says golf has the best single player mode (no surprise) and boxing is their favourite overall[/quote]

[quote name='ahmedmalik']According to Gamepro, the announcement is going to be 'BIG'.

http://www.gamepro.com/community/ask_pros.cfm?action=view&question_id=32486&category=nintendo

Wii Play - although cool - does not sound BIG.[/QUOTE]

I think it has always been quoted as "big." Although, I wouldn't say anything speculated on so far(Wiiplay, VC controller/points, extra pack in controller, etc.) consitutes "big," EXCEPT for maybe Mario Galaxy hitting on launch day.

How about a free matching DS lite with every console purchase? That would be huge. lol. Totally-and absolutely unrealistic, but would definitely put a stake in PSPs heart.

Nintendo bought Microsoft!

I'd like to see the Wii Play/Wiimote bundle, whether that's the big announcement or not I don't care, but I want that bundle :p.

I don't think they can have anymore BIG announcements really...I guess we'll have to wait again.

I still fail to see, in this day and age, the advantage of having DVD playback in a video game console. Perfectly serviceable DVD players are available for a pittance and using the system to watch movies simply increases the chances the drive will fail sooner. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Anyway, you guys really have me squirming with this belated megaton. What could it be?

[quote name='Strell']I'm holdin' ya to it, pardner.[/QUOTE]
I forgot that they haven't announced online details yet.

So the "big" announcement will be:
1. Wii Play/Controller for N. America
2. Wii Online, Universal Friend Code (works across all games), etc.

Whatever it is, my ultimate guarantee is that it will be unequivocally lame when held up against what we can piece together for ourselves.

You know, the last time we got told something "big" was gonna happen (Sept. 14 notwithstanding, as we all knew that was going to be a big deal), it came from joystiq.com, and some asshole got fired for stoking the coals of the fire for what was ultimately a bullshit piece of information.

So far we have gonintendo.com and Gamepro telling us about it, and everyone else is just linking to those sources. There's so few original confirmations that it puts it on shakey ground, and lately I've grown tired of people and sites drumming up false interest because they found out something so menial and insignificant, but want to play it up as something teh huuuuuge.

So while I sincerely hope this is something really awesome - like a confirmation of some until-now-speculated game or the announcement of buying a new third party, etc - as I'm tired of being strung along by people willing to play upon the intense dedication of fans.

I gots to rethink being curious about this whole thing, 'cuz either it's going to demand a lot of energy I don't gots, or require me to tell myself "told ya" when it gets revealed.

How about Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance games available on the virtual console? Maybe you'll even be able to transfer them somehow through firmware upgrades to the DS?

[quote name='ahmedmalik']How about Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance games available on the virtual console? Maybe you'll even be able to transfer them somehow through firmware upgrades to the DS?
[/QUOTE]

The DS can't do firmware upgrades.

And I highly doubt this is the case, as they could do this for the next generation portable device, so why waste it on the Wii?

[quote name='Strell']The DS can't do firmware upgrades.

And I highly doubt this is the case, as they could do this for the next generation portable device, so why waste it on the Wii?[/quote]

We don't know how the Wii correlates to the DS yet.

[quote name='Strell']
So while I sincerely hope this is something really awesome - like a confirmation of some until-now-speculated game or the announcement of buying a new third party, etc - as I'm tired of being strung along by people willing to play upon the intense dedication of fans.

I gots to rethink being curious about this whole thing, 'cuz either it's going to demand a lot of energy I don't gots, or require me to tell myself "told ya" when it gets revealed.[/QUOTE]
I'm in full agreement. I would be as happy as anyone if some incredible feature is announced for the Wii. However, it doesn't make marketing sense to hold out on big features that could sell consoles until a few days before launch.

My perception of the "bigness" of game-related announcements has perceptibly narrowed over the life of Revolution/Wii news. Nintendo has been a little too aware of the online hype of their console, and in addressing it directly with cheeky press releases and goofy interviews, they wore out their welcome in hinting at "big" news.

My advice to them is to shut the fuck up and give us this amazing BIG news already.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']We don't know how the Wii correlates to the DS yet.[/QUOTE]

First, shitty use of "correlates."

Second, even if they COULD upgrade the DS firmware, the system A) has a miniscule amount of on board memory and B) erases that memory every time the system is turned off. So without some sort of insertable, rewritable storage media (and Nintendo would never do this because it would basically be them subsidizing piracy), this isn't happening.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']We don't know how the Wii correlates to the DS yet.[/QUOTE]

Yes we do. It connects to download DS demoes, it can be used as a controller, and there's possibility down the line that you'll pull off GBA/GC sorts of things, where you download small portions of games, do 4 players games, etc.

I am telling you now the VC won't have portable games on it. It absolutely destroys a potential lucrative market Ninetndo could pimp out with their next handheld.

There's no reason for them to lobotomize one market for the small gain of another, when they can fully have both running full steam at some point and be totally independent of each other.

[quote name='Strell']There's no reason for them to lobotomize one market for the small gain of another, when they can fully have both running full steam at some point and be totally independent of each other.[/quote]

Yes there is! They... they... they.... love us....

::turns around. exits thread....::

[quote name='ahmedmalik']Yes there is! They... they... they.... love us....

::turns around. exits thread....::[/QUOTE]

Reggie loves us.

And it is our best interests - assuming you want to continue have working knees - that you love him back.

::wipes lips::

huh? what?

[quote name='Strell']Reggie loves us.

And it is our best interests - assuming you want to continue have working knees - that you love him back.[/quote]

Didn't Legend of Zelda come out in 1986? Maybe they'll pack that in for the 20 yr anniversary. If not that..I'm guessing Wii points.

you guys for real, Trauma Center is going to allow you to connect via the online service and perform actual surgeries in thailand. you think you're just playing the game but in reality you're actually saving someone's life(hopefully). Thailand has a tough time getting, keeping and paying doctors so they figured screw it, we'll just make the people think it's a game and outsource the jobs to the US and/or anyone where else that gets the game. The DS version of the game in reality is actually you operating on small animals of a non barnyard nature.

T. Foolery.

[quote name='tomfoolery']you guys for real, Trauma Center is going to allow you to connect via the online service and perform actual surgeries in thailand. you think you're just playing the game but in reality you're actually saving someone's life(hopefully). Thailand has a tough time getting, keeping and paying doctors so they figured screw it, we'll just make the people think it's a game and outsource the jobs to the US and/or anyone where else that gets the game. The DS version of the game in reality is actually you operating on small animals of a non barnyard nature.

T. Foolery.[/QUOTE]

Best answer ever.

[quote name='tomfoolery']you guys for real, Trauma Center is going to allow you to connect via the online service and perform actual surgeries in thailand. you think you're just playing the game but in reality you're actually saving someone's life(hopefully). Thailand has a tough time getting, keeping and paying doctors so they figured screw it, we'll just make the people think it's a game and outsource the jobs to the US and/or anyone where else that gets the game. The DS version of the game in reality is actually you operating on small animals of a non barnyard nature.

T. Foolery.[/quote]I suck at trauma center, al my patients die...

[quote name='pop311']I suck at trauma center, al my patients die...[/QUOTE]

I bet you feel bad now? Better stick to the training option for a while. That only uses cadavers.

Since this is a speculation (ie: pulling crap out of your ass) thread, I'll throw my 2 cents in. They've added Dreamcast to the VC.

One can hope...

RC

[quote name='psiufoxx2']Your Nintendo Wii will also run Vectrex games! Whoopee doo! 3 people in the world celebrate![/quote]

Man, the Vectrix was cool. Stop hatin'.

[quote name='rscaramelo']Since this is a speculation (ie: pulling crap out of your ass) thread, I'll throw my 2 cents in. They've added Dreamcast to the VC.

One can hope...

RC[/QUOTE]

That new PowerStone compilation for PSP has me wanting that system...Although I'd want to play something like PowerStone with friends, so it'd be even better if it was on the VC. Don't think we'll ever see Saturn or DC games there, though. :cry:

Could the "SECRET" be 720P resoultion?

According to the latest issue of the UK's Nintendo: The Official Magazine, the Wii will output at the relatively impressive 720p, not the low-end, and still rumored, 480p.

The magazine says that "At the time of going to print, Wii games will output in 720i and 720p." Of course this is the same magazine that (incorrectly) said that the Wii's base was its power brick.

If it is true, it could be the "revelation" that Nintendo was hinting at.

Probably not, but eh.

Reality's Fringe;2329969]Could the "SECRET" be 720P resoultion? [I]According to the latest issue of the UK's Nintendo: The Official Magazine said:
The magazine says that "At the time of going to print, Wii games will output in 720i and 720p." Of course this is the same magazine that (incorrectly) said that the Wii's base was its power brick.

Probably not, but eh.

Sounds like utter BS to me, but would certainly throw the gaming community into a tizzy.

I really think we're thinking too big here. I don't think this is going to be a megaton so much as an "Oh. That's kinda cool."

Reality's Fringe;2329969 said:
Could the "SECRET" be 720P resoultion?

According to the latest issue of the UK's Nintendo: The Official Magazine, the Wii will output at the relatively impressive 720p, not the low-end, and still rumored, 480p.

Probably not, but eh.

Not holding my breath, but that would be ridiculously cool.

bread's done
Back