Spider-Man 3 - Gen. Discussion & Discussion

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']I played the ps3 version. It's going to get around the mid 70's in reviews I'd say.[/QUOTE]

Care to elaborate?

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']I enjoyed it, however, I could not stop thinking about this during the black costume parts. [/QUOTE]
It was inevitable. Each movie was more emo than the last. I was expecting Peter to run to a computer and start posting in his Livejournal at any moment.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Someone I used to work with started playing it, says it's pretty much a bigger better S-M2.[/quote]
That's not necessarily a bad thing. As long as they've gotten away from having to just go beat up a gang to progress the missions I'll be fine (found that to be completely pointless in SM2 and USM). It's funny, I always found the mission styles in the previous Spiderman games (on the PS One and Spiderman 1) to be more engaging than those in the "open ended" games. I really hope they've fixed this in this game.

Either way I'll be picking up my pre-order at lunch from Best Buy, my 6 year old is jonesin' to play it after we see the movie tonight.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']That's not necessarily a bad thing. As long as they've gotten away from having to just go beat up a gang to progress the missions I'll be fine (found that to be completely pointless in SM2 and USM). It's funny, I always found the mission styles in the previous Spiderman games (on the PS One and Spiderman 1) to be more engaging than those in the "open ended" games. I really hope they've fixed this in this game.

Either way I'll be picking up my pre-order at lunch from Best Buy, my 6 year old is jonesin' to play it after we see the movie tonight.[/QUOTE]

Just put about 45 minutes into it and I can confirm that it's pretty much an expasion pack for S-M2 (so far). Just better graphics, tighter controls, tweaked gameplay and new levels. Not saying it's bad or anything, just pointing out that it's pretty much S-M2. If you didn'tr like S-M2 or US-M, just stay stay away from S-M3.

As for your concerns about mission layout, seems they streamlined it a bit. Instead of chapters, the game flows exactly like Grand Theft Auto III and above. Ie; you have a set number of missions availibke to you that have their own branching paths. At any point you can mix and match the mission paths. For example, in my short playtime I selected the mission "Lizard I", it started out with a cutscene, I did some stuff, completed the mission and unlocked "Lizard II", but instead of doing that I just did a random photo mission instead.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']It was inevitable. Each movie was more emo than the last. I was expecting Peter to run to a computer and start posting in his Livejournal at any moment.[/QUOTE]

At one specific part of the film I thought to myself "Emo Powers, ACTIVATE~!"

I'm not Emo, but i'm curious as to why everyone seems to hate them? Isn't stereotyping Emo's pretty much the same as a racial stereotype?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I'm not Emo, but i'm curious as to why everyone seems to hate them? Isn't stereotyping Emo's pretty much the same as a racial stereotype?[/QUOTE]

I don't hate Emos, but they generally share the same attitude & look.

As for my comment, well (small spoilers ahead)
it's just that everytime Pete had the suit on under his clothes he instantky turns into an Emo, the very second the suit comes off, he goes right back to looking like regular pete, but wait he needs the suit again! Instantly back to Emo pete.

Also, judging by IGNs review, I might have to look at dumping this ASAP. There's nothing I loathe more in this world than cheap boss battles, or just cheap gameplay designs all around. I'll give it some more playtime, as what I played certainly was fun, maybe not $60+ fun, but fun none-the-less.

f anyone has an interest in this, shoot me a TL and we can talk.

gaaaaah c'mon...this game really excited me when I saw the swinging around. after a 6.0 and 6.6....I'll wait till it's like 20 Canadian or less...

IGN can kiss my ass on their review. Spider-man 2 is one of my favorite games, and this feels like a nice continuation, and thats OK. The GTA type of missions is a nice variety touch, rather than going linear. I don't mind if a game doesn't re-invent the wheel and jerk me off at the same time, just as long as I have fun.

Of course i never like high rated games that I'm suppose to, so whatever :)

This game is super half-baked.

(Specifically, the combat engine and piss-poor camera while crawling and on foot.)

It really is a Spider-Man 2 expansion... but it's descent, in my opinion. I just feel like an ass for falling for another movie game -- at least, spending $59.99 on one.

[quote name='Stingermck']IGN can kiss my ass on their review. Spider-man 2 is one of my favorite games, and this feels like a nice continuation, and thats OK. The GTA type of missions is a nice variety touch, rather than going linear. I don't mind if a game doesn't re-invent the wheel and jerk me off at the same time, just as long as I have fun.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.

After seeing the bad IGN review, I went and rented a copy before I opened mine. As someone who's short on cash, I am in no position to waste my gaming dollars.

Playing it for an hour, the game will remain in my posession. It's a good follow-up to SM2. If you liked that game, you'll like this. Swinging is excellent, fighting is still pretty good. Camera action sucks when you are on a tight space and go from upright to upside-down and on the sides, but it's a minor thing thus far.

I think people are disappointed because a) it's $60. For some reason that extra $10 has made people uber-sensitive to every bad thing in a game. B) I think people expected Gears-like visuals and perfect gameplay. Doesn't have either, but I can't say those are justifications for the 6.x reviews I've seen.

Based only on my first hour alone (Level 5 Swing Speed, baby), I'd put it solidly at 8.2 with no reservations. I'll play some more missions over the weekend and get to a boss battle before I make my final keep-or-return decision, but I'm happy with it thus far.

Here's the questions you have to ask yourself about this game:
  • Did you enjoy Spider-man 2?
  • Were you looking forward to the game?
  • Do you have the cash to buy this and Forza 2?
  • Do you let minor things slide and enjoy the overall experience?

If you answered no to all of these questions, don't buy it. A yes to any of the above, and you won't be too put-out about spending your money.

I'll have a full review published sometime next week, and it will be available to the public probably in two weeks time. If you still aren't sure, wait until then.

So basically, if you liked Spiderman 2, you will like this game? I may give it a rent... I have enough $ in gift cards to get this but I don't know if I should use it on this or something else.

That extra $10 was Suppossed to get us better games, and be due to next gen development being so much better.. what we get is the same shitty movie titles that are half assed as always. No reason people shouldn't be critical. Spider Man 3 is the same, with extras given to the old gen versions that aren't in the PS3/360 versions.

I hope no CAG is foolish enough to buy this. Just give it a rent if you've really gotta play it..

[quote name='jer7583']That extra $10 was Suppossed to get us better games, and be due to next gen development being so much better.. what we get is the same shitty movie titles that are half assed as always. No reason people shouldn't be critical. Spider Man 3 is the same, with extras given to the old gen versions that aren't in the PS3/360 versions.

I hope no CAG is foolish enough to buy this. Just give it a rent if you've really gotta play it..[/QUOTE]

Coming from someone who hasn't played it...:roll:

Whatever ~ fuck the reviews. If you liked Spiderman 2, you'll love this. I've got it on the Wii, and the second someone trades it in on the 360, i'm getting it on the 360. I love the Spider-Man games, I love free roaming and swinging around the city for countless hours.. it's a solid buy if you're a fan of Spider-Man 2.

And yeah, I know I said it looked like Spider-Man 2 on a next gen system in my earlier post.. it essentially is. I picked it up on the Wii because of the controls. I want it on the 360 for the achievements and extra storylines. Besides, the second someone trades it in, I get it for 39.99, so that's not bad at all.

[quote name='Scorch'] I want it on the 360 for the achievements [/quote]

heh:lol:..
anyway i agree, i dont care what the reviews say im picking this game up. need something to complement my gears playing till halo 3 beta time.

Thats a really bad review. The game is good. The graphics could be a little bit sharper but other than that no complaints. Even the camera system is no where near as bad as that review makes it sound. Anyway im glad i got it before i read that or i man not have. Stupid reviewers.

I rented it last night...might have to cancel my preorder after I'm done with it. It is similar to S-M 2 but it feels worse...the camera angles annoy the shit out of me. I'm not a person that gets motion sickness when playing games, but man I had a massive head ache after playing for about an hour. If they would have worked on the game just a little longer, it would have been a great game, the glitches alone keep this from being a great game. The fighting system is better than before but again, the camera fucks it up by moving too fast and in weird angles as you jump kick or pick up enemies and throw them up in the air. The side missions are borring, Swing through the city before time runs out, free falling, defeating bad guys within X amount of time...etc. The main game is pretty cool though, just got through the Lizards mission, it was fun.

So I'll be canceling my Preorder and switching for BioShock.

This game is kinda fun. I rented it and would never buy it, but I like it for what it is.

Anyway, how do I swing on poles? I wanna get that achievement.

Another achievement related question - what objects count toward the "break 25 objects" achievement? I broke a bunch of those wooden palette things and it didn't give it to me.

Just finished playing some of the Photo Missions, was having a blast up until the mission that has you following a helicopter with a fake Spidey who does stunts, this mission is so horribly thought, out, spent an hour on it and still cant beat it. You basically have to race the helicopter and then stop at a specific building while the stupid guy does his tricks. The problem is, that they don't tell you what building until like 10 seconds before the helicopter stops. Took me a long while to memorize that area of the city, after photgraphing that ass 3x's, the helicopter has issues and the fake spider man falls and you have to catch him...problem is that they don't teach you how to catch him. I tried webbing him...nothing...I tried touching him while he falls, which is nearly iimpossible with uncooperative camera angles...little crap like this is what ruins the game. My advise, seriously rent if you want to try it...do not buy...specially not for less than $20

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Just finished playing some of the Photo Missions, was having a blast up until the mission that has you following a helicopter with a fake Spidey who does stunts, this mission is so horribly thought, out, spent an hour on it and still cant beat it. You basically have to race the helicopter and then stop at a specific building while the stupid guy does his tricks. The problem is, that they don't tell you what building until like 10 seconds before the helicopter stops. Took me a long while to memorize that area of the city, after photgraphing that ass 3x's, the helicopter has issues and the fake spider man falls and you have to catch him...problem is that they don't teach you how to catch him. I tried webbing him...nothing...I tried touching him while he falls, which is nearly iimpossible with uncooperative camera angles...little crap like this is what ruins the game. My advise, seriously rent if you want to try it...do not buy...specially not for less than $20[/QUOTE]
There are a lot of missions - specifically races - that seem impossible.

The skydiving activities seem impossible to earn a gold trophy.

on a different note, anyone glance over the instruction manual? On the back there is an ad for "Spider-Man: Friend or Foe". This looks to be a new game that's coming out this fall. The ad gives teh site spiderman-friend-or-foe.com, but it doesn't go anywhere.

I picked it up on Friday and REALLY liked it when I started playing it, but the more I go on the missions, the more I'm wondering what the fuck the developers were thinking when they came up with the missions. "Swing with Mary-Jane to earn hearts?!?!" "Take pictures of the lizards while in the Spidey costume?!?!?" I mean REALLY, is this the best they could do?

Also, I somewhat enjoy the combat, but so far I haven't been able to beat the Level 1 Combat Tours. They have you initially going after 2-3 people, then 4-5, then like 10. It's always the last group that kicks my ass simply because the reaction time after getting hit is WAY too long. They will shoot me, then before I can jump or punch I'll get hit again, and again, and again till I'm dead.

IMO this game could easily be fixed with a patch to make it much more enjoyable from a combat point of view. Yeah the cut scenes look horrible, yeah the camera sucks at times, yeah the missions are a bit WTF?? But I can handle that since the swing mechanics freaking ROCK and if the combat controls were a bit better.

Had this not been purchased to play with my 6 year old, I would trade it in and wait for the $30 price tag.

I rented it on Friday and I really don't like it. Haven't played it since. I kept dying at the 3rd Apocalypse mission when you have to fight 5 guys at once. I don't like the fighting system, I don't remember Spider Man 2 being this bad in the combat department. Has it always been that you couldn't block and you can only dodge? Maybe I got too used to playing God of War. Anyways, I can't recommend this game as a buy... and I liked Spider Man 2.

The thing that makes the game harder is that there's no health up until you finish a mission. This time around Spidey doesn't seem to regenerate health.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']
Had this not been purchased to play with my 6 year old, I would trade it in and wait for the $30 price tag.[/quote]

is there split screen? er..well co op?

[quote name='omgu8myrice']is there split screen? er..well co op?[/quote]
Nope, he just likes to watch and tell me where he wants me to go. Occasionally he'll want to play but the combat is a little tough for him.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Nope, he just likes to watch and tell me where he wants me to go. Occasionally he'll want to play but to combat is a little tough for him.[/QUOTE]

You're a terrible father!

Just kidding.

[quote name='chair_home']You're a terrible father!

Just kidding.[/quote]
Whatever, at least I let him out of the closet to watch me play :D

This game really is garbage. The glitches in it are proof positive that it was rushed to make the movie's release date.

Earlier today I was playing against some random thugs and all of a sudden the game glitched up and decided to put and invisible wall right in the middle of the road. Exited out of the mission and the wall was still in the game, it had just moved. Luckily my auto saved game hadn't been corrupted as well. I'm in a hurry now to beat this POS and trade it in ASAP.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']It better play better than S-M3[/QUOTE]
It definitely has the potential to, seing as the biggest downfall of SM3 was the lack of time and polish, which suggests it was rushed to coincide with the mediocre film of the same name :p

Doesn't seem like Spider-Man Friend or Foe will be any good either considering it's set to come out in 4-6 months. I suppose they could have been working on it for longer than we're aware of but somehow I doubt it.

As much as I like this game, I think I'm going to exchange it for something else. I just bought a Wii, and funds are tight. I'd like to pick up a Classic Controller and a SD card, and returning this would help me out.

That, and I think I can get a lot out of it while I have it rented (at least 9 more days). I will own it again at some point, though.

Here's some images of the trailer on the "Friend or Foe?" site.

t_1252_0001.jpg
t_1252_0002.jpg
t_1252_0003.jpg
t_1252_0004.jpg
t_1252_0005.jpg

http://xboxyde.com/news_4297_en.html

[quote name='LinkinPrime']
It better play better than S-M3[/quote]
QFT, but I'll suffer through it for my kid. I must be glutton for punnishment because I'm looking forward to a different Spiderman game. Does anyone know who is developing Friend-or-Foe? Hopefully it's not Treyarch because lately their Spiderman games have been ass (Yes, I include Spiderman 2 in that because the best thing to come of it was the swing mechanics).

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Looks like the website for the next Spider-Man game is up. Should be out this Fall.

http://spiderman-friend-or-foe.com/

It better play better than S-M3[/QUOTE]

I just posted this a page back and everyone ignores it.

Nice to see that they finally got the website up & running though.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I just posted this a page back and everyone ignores it.

Nice to see that they finally got the website up & running though.[/quote]

Sorry dude, I do remember you posted it, but it went live today...since there was nothing to talk about then, I didnt say anything.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Sorry dude, I do remember you posted it, but it went live today...since there was nothing to talk about then, I didnt say anything.[/QUOTE]

It's all good.

I'm kinda intrigued by this game. It almost looks like you play as the bad guys this time . . .

I'm just hoping it turns out better than S-M3. S-M2 was a excellent start, marred by some shoddy mission advancement, while US-M was an awesome, but short, step in the right direction.

:bomb: God damn it, this game just pisses me the fuck off. The main combat mechanic is just: watch for yellow, hit "bullet time", dodge, hit, repeat. I mean jesus christ how is this game this fucking bad? Did they only have 5 months to produce it or what?!?!

I like comic books, I like Spider-man, I like sandbox games, you'd think they'd be able to give me something decent for my money but it looks like I'm gonna be out almost $30 cause I'm trading this fucker in (normally I'd ebay it but used copies on ebay are already going for as low as $20). fucking shit.

bread's done
Back