Spider-Man: Shattered Dimension Price drop

[quote name='Phokis']They aren't selling because there hasn't been a good spider-man movie.

They aren't reviewing well because Spiderman 2 had the best (and most difficult to master) web-slinging. Where just swinging around was a game in and of itself.

Combine these two and you get a hit. Nail the web-slinging and at least *I'll* buy it.[/QUOTE]
Couldn't agree more, I still play my xbox copy of SM2 just to go swinging around.

I actually pre-ordered this and did my playthrough last week. So while I do feel burned by the price drop, I think it was worth the MSRP. Everybody's going to have their opinions, but I would rank this right around Ultimate Spiderman.

The argument for movie tie-ins is a double edged sword. As an older gamer, I remember movie tie-ins as lower quality games that were rushed. In fact, I've never touched a Spider-man movie tie-in for those reasons.

The controls and diversity of gameplay are well worth it, and more gamers should pick this up. Who knows? We could actually get SD2 with playable Spider Ham. lol

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']There were actually 3 good Spiderman movies :) I enjoyed all three of them. The third was the weakest of the three, but I still enjoyed it.[/QUOTE]
You're gonna enjoy the new DmC aren't you?

[quote name='GUNNM']You're gonna enjoy the new DmC aren't you?[/QUOTE]

So will thousands and thousands of other people. Spider-Man 3 wasn't as bad as people make it out to be.

[quote name='TPerryoo7']So will thousands and thousands of other people. Spider-Man 3 wasn't as bad as people make it out to be.[/QUOTE]

No, it wasn't "as bad" as people make it out to be. It's just that Sam Raimi had set the bar so high in the past that releasing such a shoddy movie by anyone's standards made it a big drop from great to greatness to meh.

Like watching Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, then watching Batman & Robin afterward.

Emo Tobey growing his hair long, then jutting in the street, that was pretty damn bad, but it's not nearly as bad as a lot of people say. I will say this, I liked the team-up at the end of the SM and GG. I don't mind the idea of Venom, but I think the movie just didn't have any room for him and I think a movie ABOUT Venom could have been great. If they had to do a duo, they should have saved Venom for the Venom & Carnage Variety hour movie.

[quote name='GUNNM']You're gonna enjoy the new DmC aren't you?[/QUOTE]

I don't know anyone that knows for sure if he is going to enjoy a game before he plays it.

Spider-Man 3 wasn't that bad in a corny comic book way, the plot was just a mess that needed to be two movies.

I'll be getting this game soon now doubt, but now I'll wait a bit to see if there are anymore pricedrops on the horizon.

this is **NOT** a permanent price drop, just as a heads up, it is only a SALE for this week.

i called all thee gamestops around town, and went into 2 of them and asked, its a sale, if you want to get it now, go ahead, but im going to wait a little longer til its about 30-40$, or ask for it as a gift this year.

Seriously, this game was taking me 50 mins per level on normal, and another 35-40 going back through on hard. Whoever got 5 hours for was probably not even playing, just watching.

[quote name='creatureofwar']If anyone has a CD Warehouse nearby they had it for $40 new.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TPerryoo7']thats where i got mine \\:D/[/QUOTE]

[quote name='creatureofwar']Was it the Monroeville one?[/QUOTE]

Sigh. Only one store in NY and it's 176 miles from me. Do they have an online store with the same price?

[quote name='mxpowar']Sigh. Only one store in NY and it's 176 miles from me. Do they have an online store with the same price?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, no. They sell stuff on e-bay now and then but that's it.

[quote name='skylenorman']You'll also need a small bucket to catch all the vomit from when you get motion sickness.[/QUOTE]

A first person spidey would be awesome. But couldn't with my girlfriend around. If she threw up watching Cloverfield i wouldn't want her seeing this.

[quote name='Donut2922']This is also selling for $49.99 at Target as well (at least the PS3 version that I had paid attention to earlier today).[/QUOTE]
yeah I noticed that. It said temproary price drop there though whereas it seems permanent at GS adn presumably Amazon

I finished my first playthrough of this last night & I loved it. Got a good 12 hours out of my first run, and I plan on going back to get all the stuff I missed. Very good game, I have been surprised at some of the review scores for it - I think they played a different game than I did.

BTW, I have read some reports of people encountering a lot of bugs, but I only ran into one very minor one towards the very end of the game. Is this a difference between the versions? I played the PS3 version.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Why don't they just stop with the "We swear, THIS is the Spider-man game we meant to make instead of the last one." and quit making Spider-man games. Clearly they aren't selling anymore because we're done hearing their BS.[/QUOTE]

Hey, that's just like Sonic :lol: (Well, except Unleashed was actually pretty good except it was too hard)

Sounds like this one is as iffy as ever. And why isn't May Parker one of the characters? I mean why do we need both the regular Marvel universe AND Ultimate Marvel universe versions, and etc.? If it had May in it...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Why don't they just stop with the "We swear, THIS is the Spider-man game we meant to make instead of the last one." and quit making Spider-man games. Clearly they aren't selling anymore because we're done hearing their BS.[/QUOTE]
Who says they aren't selling? I bet Activision can get a healthy amount of money while spending relatively little since they have this license locked up for a while. Plus, wouldn't you rather Activision make relatively decent games with the license than SEGA get it and make hot garbage with it?

You know, I don't think the hate of this title is deserved, it is surprisingly solid. The level design is fairly inspired and since the gameplay is varied because of the different spidermen, it's rarely boring. You can go crazy with web-slinging if you see fit, get into the stealth action if you want to, lots to do here.

The collectibles and costumes are incredibly well done as well. I didn't buy the thing, I am Gamfly'n it, but I recommend is as a rental, definitely.

[quote name='PanzerDSS']Who says they aren't selling? I bet Activision can get a healthy amount of money while spending relatively little since they have this license locked up for a while. Plus, wouldn't you rather Activision make relatively decent games with the license than SEGA get it and make hot garbage with it?[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'd rather another publisher get it and use it to good effect, like Rocksteady on Batman: AA. They showed its possible if the dev is committed enough, good enough, and lucky enough to get the stars to align.

So just because Activision's efforts aren't as bad as Sega's, it doesn't mean we wouldn't be better off with someone else giving Spiderman games a shot.

Raven could do something awesome, based on Wolverine. Logan's more agile in there than Peter EVER has been in a Spider-Man game. In fact all the ones so far Peter moves like a robot or something, the ones I've played :lol: (and I don't mean an awesome ninja robot either)

I'm actually really enjoying this. The wall crawling controls are a bit weird but other than that its pretty enjoyable.

After spending a couple of weeks with this, it's a mixed bag.
The graphics are great, and the contrast of four different styles in the game is great.
There's some great fan service for the Spidey faithful here, including a great cameo that I will not spoil.
The noir levels are fun, but never aspire to be anything more than a ghetto Arkham Asylum.
Control is wonky, and the camera is bad bad bad.
A solid effort, but not the great Spider-Man game I've been waiting for since playing Spider-Man 2 on my PS2.
My kids loved it, but they dug Web of Shadows too, and that game was glitchy as all get out.

I could do without the Ultimate universe. Instead they should have added the Zombie universe. It would probably have affected the rating but would have been worth it in my opinion. How about web-slinging as Spidey and his leg falls off? :)

i really enjoyed this game - bought it at full price and am not disappointed at all. while not a perfect game (wall-crawling is really the only serious offender), there's tons of level variety as well as replayability. each universe has a great look and its own feel, and i like how it's structured. granted, everyone won't love it, but i just wanted to add my $.02

[quote name='creatureofwar']I could do without the Ultimate universe. Instead they should have added the Zombie universe. It would probably have affected the rating but would have been worth it in my opinion. How about web-slinging as Spidey and his leg falls off? :)[/QUOTE]

That would be cool too, though it's really inexplicable to me why May Parker isn't one of the characters. I mean she's had a longer run really even than Ultimate (and do you really need regular and ultimate in the same game?), and certainly longer than 2099, etc.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Game Informer loved it, gave it an 8 or 8.5 (cant remember) and said it may be the best Spidey game ever.

So not all the reviews are bad...[/QUOTE]

One of the Giant Bomb guys (possibly Jeff Gesrtman) seemed to like it okay, although said he ran across 6 scripting bugs that stopped the game cold until he paused and unpaused...6 IN THE FIRST LEVEL :lol:

Still, I'm game to try it some day. Not for $40 though...

[quote name='Wolfpup']That would be cool too, though it's really inexplicable to me why May Parker isn't one of the characters. I mean she's had a longer run really even than Ultimate (and do you really need regular and ultimate in the same game?), and certainly longer than 2099, etc.
[/QUOTE]

I think you're right on that May Parker would be a good choice. I also wouldn't have minded seeing Ben Reilly as a character (instead of just an alternate costume). Love that zombie universe suggestion floating around - would love to see that as DLC. But, that said, the obvious reason they included Ultimate was so that they could have symbiote suit Spider-Man (they even came up with a silly plot device for it to have no corrupting properties).

Yeah, Ben Reilly's another good idea!

I haven't played this yet, and I'm not super far into the Ultimate universe, but isn't it kind of weird that they went with Ultimate, and then to justify it used the symbiote? From what I've heard, it plays even less of a role in that universe than the mainstream one (at least going by what some podcast said).

Hmm...okay, dang it, at this point I just want May in a game :lol:

Based on what I've read, I think the general consensus is that this game is decent but not the Arkham Asylum of Spider-Man games.

A universe with Ben as Spidey would've been perfect. I love Scarlet Spider more than any other character and that just would've made me happy and would've made this a day one purchase.

Also, the Symbiote played a pretty big role in the Ultimate Universe.

I'm in for 19.99. I like spider-man games...I like them a lot better when they're super cheap.

I only pay full price for tripple AAA titles (that I want badly). Even with this 10 dollar discount I could see prices on this game drastically dropping by black friday.

Man, I love that girl that tries to be May's sidekick as the Scarlett Spider :lol: I don't know what happened to her though. "I'm you're partner!" May: "No, no you're not."

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Game Informer loved it, gave it an 8 or 8.5 (cant remember) and said it may be the best Spidey game ever.

So not all the reviews are bad...[/QUOTE]
Where exactly are the bad reviews? Like you mentioned..GI, Xplay 4/5, IGN 8 I believe

With Stan Lee and Spider-Ham..this is a terrific game

I loved the game, this has been the best Spider-Man game in a real long time. I never cared for SM2, it was all about the swinging in that game but the last best one I played was Amazing Spider-Man on the PS. Also, the Sega CD one was real good too, I really loved that one.

Back on topic, if you're a true Spidey fan, this game is a must for you. Or if you're really into mindless action, great boss fights, or achievements, I say buy it! Other than that, if you get it for 50 or less then you're going to really enjoy the game. I bought it for 60 and didn't regret it at all. I'm still playing the game, playing on hard mode, trying to get all the achievements in the game. Only thing that can be frustrating is the swinging and the wall crawling. Also, wall crawling sucks mainly because the fucking camera sucks balls! So yeah, swinging can be frustrating at times, camera is crappy which makes the wall crawling crappy too.

Cool that you remember the SegaCD one! Yeah, that was good-only Spider Man game I've liked so far (though I've yet to play this or any of the Activision ones since Spider Man 2, and before that the PS1 one, the latter of which I though was complete garbage despite the glowing reviews)

I liked that (among other things) you could turn on infinite web fluid, which I did, because it's ridiculous to be ground bound as Spider Man. Somewhat non-linear structure also made it way better than the Genesis version.

[quote name='dennisb407']Where exactly are the bad reviews? Like you mentioned..GI, Xplay 4/5, IGN 8 I believe

With Stan Lee and Spider-Ham..this is a terrific game[/QUOTE]
Spider_Pig___Color_by_Ionahipri.png

[quote name='Wolfpup']Cool that you remember the SegaCD one! Yeah, that was good-only Spider Man game I've liked so far (though I've yet to play this or any of the Activision ones since Spider Man 2, and before that the PS1 one, the latter of which I though was complete garbage despite the glowing reviews)

I liked that (among other things) you could turn on infinite web fluid, which I did, because it's ridiculous to be ground bound as Spider Man. Somewhat non-linear structure also made it way better than the Genesis version.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah! Sega CD one was just made of win. It had tons of shit too which was great. So many levels and etc. Man, I feel like playing that again. I use to own the game, not anymore :(.

What would be awesome is that if they release that rare Spider-Man beat em up made by Sega made for arcades back then. If you don't know what I'm talking about, look at the youtube vids. I never played it myself but it looks amazing. It makes Maximum Carnage look like a piece of shit. Would love to see that on XBLA/PSN.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Cool that you remember the SegaCD one! Yeah, that was good-only Spider Man game I've liked so far (though I've yet to play this or any of the Activision ones since Spider Man 2, and before that the PS1 one, the latter of which I though was complete garbage despite the glowing reviews)

I liked that (among other things) you could turn on infinite web fluid, which I did, because it's ridiculous to be ground bound as Spider Man. Somewhat non-linear structure also made it way better than the Genesis version.[/QUOTE]
Wait, are you saying you didn't like the Spidey PS1 game? Dude, that was the BEST SPIDEY EVER. What If? mode and all the extra costumes made the game perfect.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Wait, are you saying you didn't like the Spidey PS1 game? Dude, that was the BEST SPIDEY EVER. What If? mode and all the extra costumes made the game perfect.[/QUOTE]

Came out for Dreamcast too, which I heard is even better, graphics wise and loading time too. But yeah, that one was real good. I heard Enter Electro wasn't that good. I never bothered to play it.

He controlled like a robot. I don't know why everyone loves that :whistle2:/

So awesome there's another fan of the SegaCD one! I'm so tired of the years of random hate from people who think it just had FMV games LOL. I'd never even HEARD of the arcade one! I'd like trying that too (and yeah, I wish I had the SegaCD one too. So many games for that and the Saturn I wish I could buy...)

[quote name='segasaturnsnk']Came out for Dreamcast too, which I heard is even better, graphics wise and loading time too. But yeah, that one was real good. I heard Enter Electro wasn't that good. I never bothered to play it.[/QUOTE] Enter Electro was like the comics at the time. It had crazy writing and most of the random enemies seemed very un-Spidey like. There was a level that had you fighting Samurai possessed by Electro's electricity. It did add the awesome Spider-Phoenix and Ricochet costumes, though, so it gets an A+ from me.

[quote name='Wolfpup']He controlled like a robot. I don't know why everyone loves that :whistle2:/
[/QUOTE]
I don't think the controls were that bad. Then again, I played it literally RIGHT AFTER I played Superman 64.

bread's done
Back