Splinter Cell Pandorra Tomm XBOX $29.99 CompUSA

regisphilbi0

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Was flipping through CompUSA ad and saw SC:pandorra Tommorow for XBOX for $29.99. Awesome deal for the game. Too bad its not PC, as i don't have an xbox... OH well, awesome deal for those who want it and have an Xbox.

The dumbest thing about Best Buy's PM policy is that they won't give you the 10% difference unless you PM AFTER you buy it. It doesn't make any sense from an operations perspective (or many other perspectives, for that matter). So, they'd rather have me waste a second person's time to price match after the purchase than just do the whole 110% thing right away? Whatever.

I called 2 EB Games stores (one being an EBX which is located in the same mall as the other EB games) to ask about their price matching policy.

EBX which I called first the guy said that they do but it depends if it is a competitor. Told him it was CompUSA, I have the add and that they are selling SCPT for $29.99. He said that they couldn't match it. I asked him why because it is a new game? He said yes and because it is currently Microsoft Xbox Month at EBX and went on so I just said bye.

The second store I asked the same thing. He said that they can match otherstore advertisements as long as they have it instock which I would have to call and verfiy (the guy on the phone). I told him the ad and he then said well they only match retail prices, not sale prices... ????? yeah... so what is the point of someone bringing in an add matching a price that you sell it for anyway? Pisses me off. Also I can't find any sort of say corporate policy for ad matching. Which sucks because I have credit with them.

Yeah, that sucks. If it hasn't been done already, this site should compile a list of all stores and what their official price matching/guarantee policies are....even though YMMV anyway. It might also be useful to keep some tabs on what stores give you the hardest time, always call (if they will only call closest), etc., and which stores don't bother.....

[quote name='bingbangboom']I called 2 EB Games stores (one being an EBX which is located in the same mall as the other EB games) to ask about their price matching policy.

EBX which I called first the guy said that they do but it depends if it is a competitor. Told him it was CompUSA, I have the add and that they are selling SCPT for $29.99. He said that they couldn't match it. I asked him why because it is a new game? He said yes and because it is currently Microsoft Xbox Month at EBX and went on so I just said bye.

The second store I asked the same thing. He said that they can match otherstore advertisements as long as they have it instock which I would have to call and verfiy (the guy on the phone). I told him the ad and he then said well they only match retail prices, not sale prices... ????? yeah... so what is the point of someone bringing in an add matching a price that you sell it for anyway? Pisses me off. Also I can't find any sort of say corporate policy for ad matching. Which sucks because I have credit with them.[/quote]

How did they manage do to both?.....I've tried many times before and seen the cashier try to do it for me....after putting the special pricematch price into the system the GGC always fails to scan....

[quote name='Pokemorpher1']I was able to price match it at Best Buy and use the GGCC, so I paid a total of about $27 for game that came out less than a month ago :).[/quote]

hahaha iwent to best buy and they price match it and i used a GGC and got it for 27.01 with CA sales tax and when i got home and opened it i got a one year card for xbox live dam was i lucky 1 year card and SCPT for only 27.01 hahahh i love this site thank you whoever found this deal

i went to best buy with a print-out from compusa.com........the lady at customer service barely glanced at the printout and then gave me 110% of the price difference, no questions asked, no phone calls.......took only 60 seconds or so.......very nice!

I swear, employees are such tightwads in NYC. It's probably because there are so many con artists that they are wary.....

I did price matching at my local Circuit City. She had to call CompUSA, she went through some recorded menus, that told her something about a rebate I guess. She then tried again, this time talking to a person, they put her on hold forever, but eventually I wound up getting the game for $27.99 plus tax. CompUSA's ad doesn't mention ANYTHING about a rebate.

[quote name='jshorr']I swear, employees are such tightwads in NYC. It's probably because there are so many con artists that they are wary.....[/quote]

Its also because most managers know that at $29.99 they will lose money selling you the game. Rent in NYC aint cheap at all and the bottom line is VERY important.

[quote name='murcielago77']when you price match at circuit city do you have to buy it then match it or match it right then and there at the register?[/quote]

Take the game to customer service

For your best shot, bring the full in-store flyer from CompUSA, (not a printout, although that might work) to Customer Service. Point out that the price at CompUSA is 29.99 and you'd like a pricematch. I wouldn't try more than 2. They may need to see the date, which is on page 15, and they may need to keep the original page. I'm not sure what the exact Bestbuy policy is, but if the person decides they need to call CompUSA to find out if they have it in stock you might get denied, unless they do happen to have it in stock (in which case I would just go there if it's convenient.) If they don't call they should give it to you. The bestbuy near me (Chelsea, NYC) pricematched me 2 no problem. If there's no CompUSA near you they may also reject it too. It depends on if you get a hardass rep/manager or not I guess.

[quote name='brodeus']How exactly would one go about price matching @ Best Buy? I'm extremely tempted to do this. Thanks.[/quote]

I went back into the closest CompUSA again this morning and asked when they might be getting it back in. Who knows if it's accurate but they said there were none on order. Do you really think they would hold off on re-ordering a hot game until the sale ends?

Yeah I asked that too. :) This deal not withstanding, CompUSA is kinda crappy a lot. No one was able to give any ETA on the game coming back in, not the stores, not the national sales center, no one. To me that's pretty ridiculous for a new game that they certainly would want to re-order.

[quote name='ZForce']In a word, yes. The CompUSA near me seems to do that all the time. They don't give rainchecks either[/quote]

Mind you this is just a rumor I heard, but someone told me that they purposefully put one really good sale in their ads to draw people in and whatever the sale is on they pull back most of their stock except for one or two copies so they don't lose a lot of money. Just hearsay, but I can't count the number of times I've missed out on deals even if I showed up to the store on Sunday when the deal was advertised. Makes you wonder.

Check this out for yet another example of just how much YMMV.....

Yesterday (as I posted) I was able to get 2 copies pricematched at Bestbuy with no hassle, then was rejected by Circuit City.

Today I went back to the same bestbuy and tried to get 2 more copies for co-workers who all want to play together. This time I was told at customer service I had to go on the regular line and they would pricematch me there. When I got up, the girl was very friendly again, cut out the ad, cut out the page with the date, and called over a supervisor to make the price change. She did tell me I could only get one of an item pricematched (even though I got two yesterday). When the supervisor came over, this dude put the kabosh on my pricematch. First he saw 39.99 for PC and proudly proclaimed "This is for PC." When I showed him the 29.99 for Xbox he did a triple take and said "Call to see if they have it." The cashier looked at him like he was crazy and said "he has the item, the date, everything....I've never called before." She was actually arguing in my favor. The guy said "it's not a few dollar difference, it's $20, you gotta call and it has to be in stock." Then he grabbed a pamphlet with the price match policy to show her. I asked if it was going to take a long time and that I had to get back to work (which was true) and he was like "probably", not very polite either. The cashier then told him that she didn't know how to call CompUSA, didn't know the number, didn't know who to ask for. So mr. supervisor says "send him to customer service to take care of it for him". When I explained that customer service had sent me to the regular line, he just shrugged....so rather than wait a long time to probably be told no, I just left.

The very fact that the cashier had never called for a price check before and that she had never been told to do so before for a price match proves how much YMMV. I'm thankful for getting 2 pricematched yesterday. I hope it comes back in stock sometime this week at CompUSA so that my friends at work can get copies.

One more pricematch note....I was walking around during my lunch and popped into a Toys R US to ask at customer service if they pricematched CompUSA. The rep said no, they only pricematched toy stores. I didn't bother asking what that meant exactly, but I can't think of any major toy stores left (at least in my area) besides KB. So that's a pretty lame policy.

I have heard this before also....one might think that if they wanted this one to be the really big deal they would have put the Xbox one in the picture and put the PC one in small lettering underneath.....Unless they know everyone will see the Xbox price anyway and post it everwhere....and dont' want to be accused of doing what you're suggesting :)

It does work though. My co-workers heard about the deal from me, went in to look for the game and wound up buying other stuff such as a wireless router, print server, and some dvd media.

[quote name='Ichabod']Mind you this is just a rumor I heard, but someone told me that they purposefully put one really good sale in their ads to draw people in and whatever the sale is on they pull back most of their stock except for one or two copies so they don't lose a lot of money. Just hearsay, but I can't count the number of times I've missed out on deals even if I showed up to the store on Sunday when the deal was advertised. Makes you wonder.[/quote]

[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='DrunkTigerWoods']There is a $5 coupon at Target for SC:CT

http://www.getintothegame.com/bonus_level/coupon.aspx?catID=85&itemID=103227

Use this with the $30 price match, you can get it for $25. :shock:[/quote]

Target doesn't do pricematching anymore. So this wouldn't exactly work.[/quote]

Take it to TRU, they price match and take compeditors coupons. I dont know about other places, but I plan on doing that at TRU tomororw.

It could have just been the store I went into (Times Square) but as I posted previously, TRU refused to match a CompUSA price. In the words of the customer service rep I spoke to when I went in, competitor means another toy store. The example she gave was KB. I didn't bother asking for specifics, maybe Kmart or Wallmart would have been good too. But I got a definate no to CompUSA. All of these price matches are YMMV.

[quote name='DrunkTigerWoods'][quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='DrunkTigerWoods']There is a $5 coupon at Target for SC:CT

http://www.getintothegame.com/bonus_level/coupon.aspx?catID=85&itemID=103227

Use this with the $30 price match, you can get it for $25. :shock:[/quote]

Target doesn't do pricematching anymore. So this wouldn't exactly work.[/quote]

Take it to TRU, they price match and take compeditors coupons. I dont know about other places, but I plan on doing that at TRU tomororw.[/quote]

Jshorrm, they gave you handfull of BS. My friend worked at a TRU and he said they are sometime assholes when you try to get a really big discount. Don't take no for answer! You are the customer, you are always right.

[quote name='jshorr']It could have just been the store I went into (Times Square) but as I posted previously, TRU refused to match a CompUSA price. In the words of the customer service rep I spoke to when I went in, competitor means another toy store. The example she gave was KB. I didn't bother asking for specifics, maybe Kmart or Wallmart would have been good too. But I got a definate no to CompUSA. All of these price matches are YMMV.
[/quote]

I think you got BSed. I price matched with a Circuit City ad for a game at TRU late last year.

It's very possible. But if a customer service rep says that "competitor" doesn't include such and such stores I'd have to REALLY make a huge stink to get them to change their minds. Like I said before, NYC stores a tightass.

[quote name='bmarquardt'][quote name='jshorr']It could have just been the store I went into (Times Square) but as I posted previously, TRU refused to match a CompUSA price. In the words of the customer service rep I spoke to when I went in, competitor means another toy store. The example she gave was KB. I didn't bother asking for specifics, maybe Kmart or Wallmart would have been good too. But I got a definate no to CompUSA. All of these price matches are YMMV.
[/quote]

I think you got BSed. I price matched with a Circuit City ad for a game at TRU late last year.[/quote]

You know, I've been waiting for this game to come back in all week at CompUSA B&M. Does anyone else think this is really, really lame of them? It's one thing when it's like a Black Friday SUPER deal where something is next to free or hundreds of bucks off....it will say limited supplies only, minumum 10 per store or whatnot. This didn't say any of that. I have two CompUSA's near where I work and neither has had a copy since Monday morning...........if they even had any on Sunday. I think that's total crap....yeah it is a really great sale, $20 off a new game.....if it was a price mistake they could have corrected it....it wasn't a mistake. So if it's in the national circular they should have some in stock to sell, and at least restock once during the week. It's not in short supply or anything....

[quote name='jshorr']You know, I've been waiting for this game to come back in all week at CompUSA B&M. Does anyone else think this is really, really lame of them? It's one thing when it's like a Black Friday SUPER deal where something is next to free or hundreds of bucks off....it will say limited supplies only, minumum 10 per store or whatnot. This didn't say any of that. I have two CompUSA's near where I work and neither has had a copy since Monday morning...........if they even had any on Sunday. I think that's total crap....yeah it is a really great sale, $20 off a new game.....if it was a price mistake they could have corrected it....it wasn't a mistake. So if it's in the national circular they should have some in stock to sell, and at least restock once during the week. It's not in short supply or anything....[/quote]

they are probably losing money on this sale for the copies they do have.........the whole point of it is to get rid of the last few copies in stock before they reorder so they can get you into the store.......once you are there you are likely to buy something else even if splinter cell is out of stock........compusa does this all the time.......most of the time when they have a sale they only have a couple of copies of the game or item in stock.......they are a business and are in it for the money...nuff said

I do get all that, I'm just a little shocked at how brazen it is.....all businesses are in it for the money....some things just get on my nerves more than others at times...but you're right...

The one thing about CompUSA is, that when they have good deals on PC hardware, low prices after rebate on memory, drives, etc....they usually have a pretty good supply...I'm always able to get what they have on sale the first part of the week.....oh well. C'est la vie.

[quote name='Legolas813'][quote name='jshorr']You know, I've been waiting for this game to come back in all week at CompUSA B&M. Does anyone else think this is really, really lame of them? It's one thing when it's like a Black Friday SUPER deal where something is next to free or hundreds of bucks off....it will say limited supplies only, minumum 10 per store or whatnot. This didn't say any of that. I have two CompUSA's near where I work and neither has had a copy since Monday morning...........if they even had any on Sunday. I think that's total crap....yeah it is a really great sale, $20 off a new game.....if it was a price mistake they could have corrected it....it wasn't a mistake. So if it's in the national circular they should have some in stock to sell, and at least restock once during the week. It's not in short supply or anything....[/quote]

they are probably losing money on this sale for the copies they do have.........the whole point of it is to get rid of the last few copies in stock before they reorder so they can get you into the store.......once you are there you are likely to buy something else even if splinter cell is out of stock........compusa does this all the time.......most of the time when they have a sale they only have a couple of copies of the game or item in stock.......they are a business and are in it for the money...nuff said[/quote]

WTF? Checked the website and the game is back in stock but only available for in-store pickup. CompUSA kills me. They get a penny ship code going when the game is out of stock and then when they let you buy it online again, it's in-store pickup only. That's nice...I'll just drive 105 MILES to my nearest store.

Oh well. I wasn't going to buy it for $30 anyways. Just thought it was funny.

OK, so we all know from April 18th-24th, Splinter Cell:pT is $29.99, which in all honesty is rather ridiculously low. So I finally am able to go into there today, and not to my surprise, they are sold out. So I ask the clerk to go check, even stating that on the website, they said there were limited quantities. She checks rather thoroughly and cannot find the game, so I ask is there anyone else I can speak to? And do you do rainchecks? (I know they dont) She directs me to the manager and he looks into the computer and says we should have some, he checks and then he also states they are sold out. So I am thinking...here comes the shaft, but then he says something I have not heard from a game store in a long while, we don't have a raincheck policy, but when they come in stock (should be Monday )....he's gonna HONOR the 29.99 price, so COMPUSA has moved to the top of my list and I have all of you to thank for that!

I actually had a somewhat similar situation today...I checked this morning and saw it change from out of stock to limited quantities and available for pickup...I knew they didn't really have any but it let me get in for just one copy for a co-worker, then went back to out of stock. When I went into the store a few hours later I was not surprised to see they had reserved me the original splinter cell. There were supposedly 2 in stock but not, and 6 on order. The CSR was very nice and said that since I placed the order, got the confirmation letter and came into the store and they didn't have it, she'll honor the 29.99 price when it comes back in stock. She even wrote a little note on my pickup email and circled the price.

I am glad I will get the 29.99 price for my buddy, but I wouldn't say CompUSA has moved up much higher in my eyes. I know good deals do sell out and you gotta move quick but so few people got any copies, they've had none the entire week of their "sale", that I think they're pretty lame anyway.

CompUSSR is still the suck. They are right up there in BB. Just because you can get an occassional deal there, it does not replace the many many deals gone bad.

dammit i missed out on the online deal and i dont have any compusa's near me so i cant pricematch anyone wanna be a pal and pick one up for me. i could paypal in advance. pm me please.

Sometimes persistence pays off....I went back to the same Circuit City that had rejected me a few days ago on the price match and was pretty hostile. This time there were all different employees, a later shift....the person who helped me at customer service must have had authorization on their own to do it because he looked at it and said SURE, swiped his card at the register and gave it to me. I asked if I could get another for a friend and he said sure. All he wanted to see was that it was a valid date, and then no problem. So I batted .500 at both circuit city and best buy and me and 3 co-workers get a new game at a great price. Also picked up an F-Zero game guide for .01 Thanks cheapassgamer!

I know this deal is dead but I think some may find this sort of amusing....

During the sale week the game came back in stock for a single copy and I did an instore pickup from compusa.com. When I got there there was no Pandora but they had reserved me a copy of the original splinter cell. The CSR wrote me a note that said "customer will re-reserve item online and come back, we did not have it in stock" and dated it. She drew a line to and circled the price and said come back with the new email once you re-reserve and you will get the price.

So I re-"reserved" (what a joke at CompUSA) the day before yesterday and went in today. First thing, they didn't have the game reserved and waiting downstairs. So with a line full of people and being the only worker the same girl has to go upstairs to try to get the game for me. She comes back 20 minutes later, everyone is pissed off, and lets me know that the manager said no to the 29.99 and I have to pay full price. I asked her why she told me I would get the sale price and write me the note, and she tells me "I said I'd TRY" (complete lie) and then "I'm not a manager I can't change prices without authorization." I asked why the game wasn't ready, why I was getting shafted, etc. and I got "You're not the first person to order online and then you get here and we don't have it...sorry". She looked completely shocked when I told her I was going to complain to CompUSA.com.

So when I got back to my desk I gave them a call, not because I really care about the deal (for another co-worker) but because I hate getting jerked around, making two trips for nothing, and CompUSA really needs to improve their in-store pickup process if they're going to offer it. I was transferred from e-commerce to corporate/instore support where the CSR took all my info and said he was going to call the store manager regarding this. We'll see what happens. I probably won't get the copy at but if it gets even that one store to get it together, even a little, it was worth the call.

That sucks...but I don't get why you bothered with in-store pickup when it was an in-store deal. Do they not have rainchecks for sales there? If they don't then that's store policy and nothing can be done. I mean the in-store pickup usually only works if they have it instock, which they apparently did not. It wouldn't make a difference in this situation if it was in-store pickup or not. Just a curious observation.

They don't have rainchecks no. The thing is that their in-store pickup process is totally budget....they don't even charge you...it's basically like we'll go get it and hold it for you for 72 hours...except apparently at least in this one, no one bothers to go do that. The fact that it allowed me to do an in-store pickup suggested that they did have at least a few copies in stock....if the stock is nothing it won't let you order it...so since it did, I think it's only right that they should give me that price since they sent me a confirmation email to come pick it up. It's not like anyone has the courtesy to actually call or email you that there's a problem. They just claim that the website was wrong, slow updating about the stock, etc. If that's the case, then they shouldn't offer the service. Bestbuy for example will charge you and then go find the item and then once it's actually reserved for you they'll send you a confirmation email. With CompUSA, it's anything goes.

[quote name='suprsaiyanMAX']That sucks...but I don't get why you bothered with in-store pickup when it was an in-store deal. Do they not have rainchecks for sales there? If they don't then that's store policy and nothing can be done. I mean the in-store pickup usually only works if they have it instock, which they apparently did not. It wouldn't make a difference in this situation if it was in-store pickup or not. Just a curious observation.[/quote]

Went and got my copy yesterday for $29.99, had talked to a manager beforehand, so thats how I was still able to get at that price. Its a great deal for a great game. :D

bread's done
Back