STALKER shadow of Chernobyl

With my new monitor Im basically out of newish PC gaming because I run at 1680x1050. 6800GS OC coupled with P4 2.8GHz and 1GB of RAM just can't cut the mustard anymore.

Yeah the funny thing with this game seems to be the fact that it has a mind of its own and decides whos computers it wants to run on and which it doesn't.

@Over easy: Hey what is the rest of your specs on your computer cause I have the 7600GT and I am wondering if it will play on my comp or not. The rest of my stats are,
P4 3.6GHz Dual Core Processor
7600 GT 256MB Graphics Card
1GB RAM(Soon to be 2 though)
Creative X-Fi Sound card
But here is the big one: WINDOWS VISTA.

Is anyone else running it on Vista?

[quote name='darthbudge']Yeah the funny thing with this game seems to be the fact that it has a mind of its own and decides whos computers it wants to run on and which it doesn't.

@Over easy: Hey what is the rest of your specs on your computer cause I have the 7600GT and I am wondering if it will play on my comp or not. The rest of my stats are,
P4 3.6GHz Dual Core Processor
7600 GT 256MB Graphics Card
1GB RAM(Soon to be 2 though)
Creative X-Fi Sound card
But here is the big one: WINDOWS VISTA.

Is anyone else running it on Vista?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty much running the same specs as yours, maybe except for the processor. I think I'm running at Dual Core 2.8 GHz (I don't remember since I didn't bring back desktop back with me).

Apparently, people have trouble with running on Vista, so it may be a problem for you. Patch should come soon though.

[quote name='Malik112099']jeez i hope i get a decent frame rate playing this thing[/QUOTE]

You're not even paying for it. Why do you care?

[quote name='Chacrana']You're not even paying for it. Why do you care?[/quote]

Hmmmmm, maybe it is the fact that he wants to enjoy the game he is not paying for? lol I mean wether you are paying for it or not you still want to enjoy the game.

[quote name='darthbudge']Hmmmmm, maybe it is the fact that he wants to enjoy the game he is not paying for? lol I mean wether you are paying for it or not you still want to enjoy the game.[/quote]

ding ding ding!!!!

[quote name='Malik112099']ding ding ding!!!![/quote]
Please stop crapping my thread, if you want to post your experience with your shoddy pirated version, fine, just try not to spoil it for the rest of us.

[quote name='Metal Boss']Please stop crapping my thread, if you want to post your experience with your shoddy pirated version, fine, just try not to spoil it for the rest of us.[/quote]

im not spoiling anything..im looking forward to this game as much as anyone....trust me....its not shoddy....its the same thing you are gonna play

[quote name='thespillcanvas']Anyone having performance problems should turn the lighting down to static. You will gain over 30 fps in some cases.[/quote]
I also have something to add to this, if you get graphical hiccups or stuttering around lighting & are on an nvidia 6 series, with coolbits try changing your 'max frames to render ahead' option to 0, it made it less noticible in the MP beta IMO.

[quote name='Malik112099']im not spoiling anything..im looking forward to this game as much as anyone....trust me....its not shoddy....its the same thing you are gonna play[/quote]
No... But you're turning the thread into a troll parade when you openly brag about piracy. You know people will jump down your throat here, It's cheap ass gamer, not thief ass gamer & this isn't megagames.com's forum.

you guys are starving the PC gaming industry, if you really were looking forward to this game as much as any of the people who stood by it for 5+ years you would put up the measily $39 dollars... What, don't tell me you can't talk your mommy into putting up 39$ for you? Or maybe you just cant buy it because you know your local wal mart will ID you for mature rated titles...? SOD OFF.

[quote name='thespillcanvas']Anyone having performance problems should turn the lighting down to static. You will gain over 30 fps in some cases.[/quote]
I also have something to add to this, if you get graphical hiccups or stuttering around lighting & are on an nvidia 6 series, with coolbits try changing your 'max frames to render ahead' option to 0, it made it less noticible in the MP beta IMO.

[quote name='Metal Boss']No... But you're turning the thread into a troll parade when you openly brag about piracy. You know people will jump down your throat here, It's cheap ass gamer, not thief ass gamer & this isn't megagames.com's forum.

you guys are starving the PC gaming industry, if you really were looking forward to this game as much as any of the people who stood by it for 5+ years you would put up the measily $39 dollars... What, don't tell me you can't talk your mommy into putting up 39$ for you? Or maybe you just cant buy it because you know your local wal mart will ID you for mature rated titles...? SOD OFF.[/quote]

my mommy lives in tx..i live in nv...so there is no point in asking her...also....saying that piracy is starving the pc gaming industry is like saying piracy is starving the music industry.....most of the pc gaming industry's money seems to be coming from games like wow, eq, etc....games that you really can't pirate to play.....this game is such a big deal mostly because a good fps is so few and far between these days on the pc......and even then theyare going to probably end up on a console.....i didnt pay for fear for the pc but i payed $60 for it on the 360....if any company wants to actually make money on this type of game anymore it better go to a console...anyways...like you dont have at least one pirated song, movie, app or game sitting on your hard drive right now....

ill try this out tomorrow when my kid falls asleep for his morning nap..hopefully the gameplay is as good as the graphics

[quote name='Metal Boss']
you guys are starving the PC gaming industry, if you really were looking forward to this game as much as any of the people who stood by it for 5+ years you would put up the measily $39 dollars... What, don't tell me you can't talk your mommy into putting up 39$ for you? Or maybe you just cant buy it because you know your local wal mart will ID you for mature rated titles...? SOD OFF.[/quote]

like you dont have ANY pirated music, games, apps or movies on your hard drive

Well I am installing the game right as we speak and after prolly 9 hours of reading tech support fourms so that hopefully I would know how to help some of these errors, I AM READY TO PLAY THE GAME! I will let you guys know what I think in a few hours.

@vhgong: Umm I remeber reading somewhere about that, just use the google as President Bush would say.

[quote name='darthbudge']Well I am installing the game right as we speak and after prolly 9 hours of reading tech support fourms so that hopefully I would know how to help some of these errors, I AM READY TO PLAY THE GAME! I will let you guys know what I think in a few hours.

@vhgong: Umm I remeber reading somewhere about that, just use the google as President Bush would say.[/QUOTE]

Tried that googling thing......but no info so far. Maybe you have better luck.

This game sounds really interesting-like it's really trying to push the FPS genre forward.

I can't wait to buy it, but I am going to wait for it to come down in price.

YAY! NO ERRORS! I can't belive it, I have been playing for like an hour and no errors whatsoever. There was a minor slowdown when I left the traders bunker but as soon as I completely spun around everything continued very smoothly.

I am playing at 1024x728 with dynamic lighting on objects, 2x or 4x AA and everything else higher then medium but not quite high.

But the game is awesome, this is one of the best games I have played in a long time.

I'm running a 4400 X2, 2 gig ram & 7800 GTX.

With a Vista Business (32Bit) as my OS.

Anyone know how well this will run on my box ? From what I've heard it's hit and miss on vista.

@KingDox: Well I don't know how good your processor is but I am runing 1 gig of ram and a 7600GT with vista ultimate and I can run it just fine. btw my processor is a Dual Core 3.6GHz.

@VipFREAK: No there is only one multiplayer demo, but if you would post your specs I would love to give you an approximate as to wether it will run on your rig.

Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ - 1GB Ram - GeForce 7600GS 256MB AGP

and the game runs well in 1440x900 with static lightning and medium details.

my problem is that this game is very difficult. even in the first difficulty setting you keep on dying numerous times. the game looks very interesting though.

it is running very well for me at 1024x768 on high settings...i also had some slowdown once i left the bunker....after that it was fine...

pentium dual core 2.8g
radeon x600 256mb card
1g ram
XP

also.......if you dont have the unlock codes..

Unlock Code 1: pseudodog
Unlock Code 2: snork

[quote name='Malik112099']it is running very well for me at 1024x768 on high settings...i also had some slowdown once i left the bunker....after that it was fine...

pentium dual core 2.8g
radeon x600 256mb card
1g ram
XP[/quote]
It runs really well on my box with static lighting. But it gave me a BSOD as soon as I started talking to people.

As soon as there is an update to Vista/My Vid card/this game I'm going back to it. But right now I don't have time to deal with a game crashing on me. It takes away alot of the fun being afraid the game will crash on me.

the codes unlock 2 multiplayer maps.....

i downloaded a +7 trainer (mostly interested in invincibility) so i will be having some fun with that tonight

In one word: awesome, i'm addicted to this game. And it runs very well too with full dynamic lighting, with a few of my own choice tweaks and the patch. I love the atmosphere, it's a very creepy game. Incredible lighting engine, I have no problems with the loading zones.

[quote name='KingDox']What do the unlock codes do ?

[/quote]

I doubt he is allowed to post those, as they are exclusive content that is meant to come with the collectors edition....Reported

Installed it yesterday and having some fun with it. So far my biggest complaint is the mission objectives are really buggy (spent about an hour trying to figure out what was wrong with one and found out I needed to exit an underground structure through an entrance the game wanted me to go out through). Combat is really exciting and the atmosphere is very well done.

And I'm running it fine on an Athlon 64 3400+, Radeon x850pro, 1 GB Ram using static lighting, medium AF, low AA, 1024x768 with everything else maxed out. Could probably even bump up the resolution a bit.

[quote name='Chacrana']Whoa, the patch. I'll have to grab that when I get back home.[/quote]

You might want to skip it. 90% of the things fixed in the patch are multiplayer only, and it corrupts your saves.

I had to back-up my saves and uninstall/reinstall the game because I didn't read carefully.

[quote name='thespillcanvas']You might want to skip it. 90% of the things fixed in the patch are multiplayer only, and it corrupts your saves.

I had to back-up my saves and uninstall/reinstall the game because I didn't read carefully.[/QUOTE]

I don't have any saves since I haven't even played the game yet... but I read that it apparently doesn't fix very much in Vista... So I guess I'll wait a bit more.

The patch works great for me (on xp, can't speak for vista users), it improved my framerates, I noticed a few changes with the AI, personally I'd recommend the patch even if you're far in the game. It was lame restarting, but it's worth it.

I have already decided to pass on this until its cheaper and a gold (fully patched) version is available, but I still love the premise and what I've read about it.

A few questions for those who have it.

1) Does it support widescreen
2) Does it have loading points or is the entire game world streamed?
3) If above is yes, are indoor areas better optimized than the outdoors?

Unfortunately by the time this is cheaper, I will have already blown money on Super Paper Mario, Bioshock, Spore, and Pokemon Diamond...sigh...the stories about it not running well on Vista scare me off even more...I'm going to upgrade soon...and I don't want to buy games that will run WORSE after I do so.

So instead I picked up the expansion pack for Oblivion, Shivering Isles...anyone have any spoiler-free comments about it?

Thanks.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']I have already decided to pass on this until its cheaper and a gold (fully patched) version is available, but I still love the premise and what I've read about it.

A few questions for those who have it.

1) Does it support widescreen
2) Does it have loading points or is the entire game world streamed?
3) If above is yes, are indoor areas better optimized than the outdoors?

Unfortunately by the time this is cheaper, I will have already blown money on Super Paper Mario, Bioshock, Spore, and Pokemon Diamond...sigh...the stories about it not running well on Vista scare me off even more...I'm going to upgrade soon...and I don't want to buy games that will run WORSE after I do so.

So instead I picked up the expansion pack for Oblivion, Shivering Isles...anyone have any spoiler-free comments about it?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I've only played the game for 10 minutes but I think I can answer all your questions.

It does support wide screen I'm running it in 1680x1050

I think the game is One big map, kinda like Operation Flash Point was

And yeah, indoors it runs better. I had everything at Max indoors and it ran fine. I went out side and it was a slide show.

[quote name='KingDox']I've only played the game for 10 minutes but I think I can answer all your questions.

It does support wide screen I'm running it in 1680x1050

I think the game is One big map, kinda like Operation Flash Point was

And yeah, indoors it runs better. I had everything at Max indoors and it ran fine. I went out side and it was a slide show.[/quote]

The map is not like Operation flashpoint, they are broken up into sections that are connected via loading points.

Some indoor parts actually do run worse for me than the outdoor parts though, due to all of the dynamic lights, it really depends on what settings you run it at, but those dynamic lights really destroy my FPS.

[quote name='Metal Boss']The map is not like Operation flashpoint, they are broken up into sections that are connected via loading points.

Some indoor parts actually do run worse for me than the outdoor parts though, due to all of the dynamic lights, it really depends on what settings you run it at, but those dynamic lights really destroy my FPS.[/QUOTE]

Exactly as I suspected. Thanks.

Mine was playing great on 1024*768 at high settings until i entered a big confrontation then my machine restarted. I guess i need to lower the settings or maybe the patch could fix the issue. Who knows?

My Specs:
P4 2.4 GHz
1 GB pc3200
Geforce 7600 GS 512
Windows XP

OH NO! Since before I got this game my RAM was going south and I knew I needed to get some more. Well Finally after getting this game and having enough money I decided to buy a nice 2GB of PC2-6400 RAM running 800MHz with 4-4-4-4-12 timings. Nice, I know. Well it finally came today and I installed it.

Suddenly after probably 15 hours put into this game with no crashes whatsoever I am suddenly bombarded with crashes. Quicksaving, looking at the inventory of a dead body, opening the pause menu and lots of others things all cause my game to crash.
Does anyone else have problems like this? I don't know what to do, I don't want to restart and try the patch but I also don't want to go back to my old RAM. Anyone have ideas?

Crashes, Hard to say, could be alot of reasons why, most likely being RAM related, it could even be something like static damage. I would install the patch if I was you, however.

I just got upgraded to a 7950gt for this game specifically from a 6800gs, should be a nice little boost in performance.

[quote name='darthbudge']OH NO! Since before I got this game my RAM was going south and I knew I needed to get some more. Well Finally after getting this game and having enough money I decided to buy a nice 2GB of PC2-6400 RAM running 800MHz with 4-4-4-4-12 timings. Nice, I know. Well it finally came today and I installed it.

Suddenly after probably 15 hours put into this game with no crashes whatsoever I am suddenly bombarded with crashes. Quicksaving, looking at the inventory of a dead body, opening the pause menu and lots of others things all cause my game to crash.
Does anyone else have problems like this? I don't know what to do, I don't want to restart and try the patch but I also don't want to go back to my old RAM. Anyone have ideas?[/quote]

Do you think the memory got too hot?? Do they have heat spreaders and do you have good ventilation? BTW what brand memory did you end up buying

I am pretty sure it is not static damage because GRAW and R6V all work just fine with the RAM. I think what I will do is backup my save games and reinstall and see if that works. If it does great, if not I will try the patch and see if that works, if it doesn't I will go frackin insane.

Also kinda off subject but when I look in my BIOS settings it still has my RAM running at 533MHz instead of the 800MHz it should be. Does anyone know how to correct this?

EDIT: @Michaema: No I don't think my RAM got too hot because it has thermal spreaders and my dad played GRAW last night for a few hours and he had no problems with it. Also got Corsair RAM this is the link for it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590

bread's done
Back