Star Ocean IV - The Last Hope - Gen. Discussion & Info

I'm looking forward to it, even though the story was on the bad side for SO3 I had a blast with the combat, the item creation was fun too after I figured it out. Now I have to decide between this and RE5.

In an IGN interview the person said something like "co-op doesn't work well with this form of game" ...so I'm guessing there won't be XD

lost odyssey was one of my favorite Jrpgs. i put about 50+ hours into it and it was great. After that all the rest sucked, IU was somewhat good but got boring really fast, anyways I loved SO till the end of time so i'm having high hopes for this game

Lost Odyssey was alright, but you must not have played tales of vesperia. IU and last remnant probably did suck though I've never really played more than an hour or two of either game. Tales though is great...and lasted basically twice as long as Lost Odyssey for me. (Probably spent 60 or so hours on lost odyssey and around 100 on tales so far.)

Even with the modest praise Lost Odyssey gets from fans, I think that game is greatly underrated. I loved it. IU is okay, but I still haven't played through all of it.

What really annoys me is that, for some reason, my 360 won't play Tales of Vesperia. It wouldn't play the demo or the retail game. The system would freeze up. Ticks me off to no end. This is the only game to every do this and, of course, microsoft had no answer. I could've sent it in for repair, but I just didn't feel like it. I still want to play ToV, though.

If I have similar problems with Star Ocean, I'm gonna jump out of the window then run to Target for a new 360.

There's a lot that's been implemented in Star Ocean: The Last Hope that I think is going to make it one of the best JRPGs for the 360. Granted, that's not saying much given it's competition, or lack thereof, but after looking around the Japanese SO4 site at [Eternal Sphere] and generally keeping track of various articles and such, there looks to be a lot to this game.

A lot has been added into the battle system, like the "Sight In/Sight Out" ability, the BEAT system, and the RUSH attacks/combos. Your ship, the Calnus is fully explorable which allows for Private Actions within the ship, a station for Item Creation complete with a new Welch Vineyard, and even the ability to determine who shares living spaces together, which most likely ties in with Relationship building. You can also fly to and from planets, one of which includes...
Planet Roak! (The planet from the First Star Ocean game.)

Not to mention the fact that there is always the requisite Bonus Dungeon, which are always fun to plow through! They usually have some funny/interesting stuff in there, like...
IU's bonus dungeon having Capell's fangirl Faina, who was killed in the main story, be the Ethereal Queen. Best twist in the game, imo.
...and such.

I'm trying my best not to get too excited about SO4 like I was with SO3. My overinflated expectations sort of put a damper on the game for me. I still enjoyed it though. Also, the official English SO4 website is here, for those interested. Not much there, but hey, there's always the JP site I linked above.

Ura-

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Isn't this supposed to be the last Star Ocean game?
I never played any of the previous Star Oceans, but most of my friends say SO3 was "meh".
[/quote]
Yes the last one was meh, but fortunately this one has nothing to do with that one and looks much better from the video.

I defiantly want to try it out. Not going to lie, I'm a little apprehensive. 360 needs a few more great JRPG's.

[quote name='willardhaven']It's funny/sad that the 360 is the best current home console for JRPGs.[/quote]

If you had said that three years ago, Sony fanboys would've tracked you down and had you "silenced".

just saw some gameplay movies.

Looks pretty good but something i hate already

fucking doll faced anime shit. All of the character designs make me want to kill things. For some reason i just absouletly hate this style.

[quote name='dastly75']Don't know if it's been mentioned but it got a 34/40 from Famitsu.[/QUOTE]

That is probably a good sign, I'm still going to wait til this goes budget, and maybe even wait to I can get the guide for a penny =P

[quote name='greyzieoriental']can't wait til this hits the $20-$30 mark
This game does look great though.[/quote]

How long do you think that will take? Tales of Vesperia is still $52 used on amazon. I can't imagine SO going down in price for a long time.

Ya I'll probably wait till I can get it for 30. Tales probably didn't drop cause its the best RPG on the system by a long shot. And, probably the best RPG I've played in like 2-3 years.

[quote name='homeland']How long do you think that will take? Tales of Vesperia is still $52 used on amazon. I can't imagine SO going down in price for a long time.[/quote]clearance

I'm sure there will be deals on this couple months after release. I'm not a big RPG head as some people, so it wouldn't matter if I had to wait til FFXIII came out to pick this up for that price. And Star Ocean isn't as big in the West as it is in the East. Low sales will bring low prices. I do hope the best for RPG's on the 360 though.

For a game to be released in three weeks it certainly isnt being promoted. It may well be bargin bin stuff fairly quickly just due to lack of promo's...

I loved SO3 (played that game into the ground)... and I need a good JRPG for 360, so I might check this one out.

[quote name='farfus']For a game to be released in three weeks it certainly isnt being promoted. It may well be bargin bin stuff fairly quickly just due to lack of promo's...[/quote]

I doubt that, I don't really remember TOV being promoted and thats still going at full price. This is a Square Enix RPG and probably going to be one of the best on the system. I don't see you getting a deal any less than $50 on this for quite some time.

I really do hope I'm wrong though, luckily I haven't even started Tales of Vesperia yet so I have plenty of time before I need to pick this up.

The lack of marketing is bothering me. I see ad's on 1up and IGN, but that's it. No hype at all at Gamestop. I was hoping for some type of preorder goodie.

Oh well, I can see where SE is probably feeling a little burned by the U.S. response to their recent RPG's, so why would they invest more than they feel they have to? I guess it's up to use to speak out mind using our wallets. I'll get this one the day it comes out. Hell, I paid $60 for Infinite Undiscovery and I don't really regret it.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']The lack of marketing is bothering me. I see ad's on 1up and IGN, but that's it. No hype at all at Gamestop. I was hoping for some type of preorder goodie.

Oh well, I can see where SE is probably feeling a little burned by the U.S. response to their recent RPG's, so why would they invest more than they feel they have to? I guess it's up to use to speak out mind using our wallets. I'll get this one the day it comes out. Hell, I paid $60 for Infinite Undiscovery and I don't really regret it.[/quote]

You get a Soundtrack for SO4 when preordering, contains 12 songs I believe

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I doubt that, I don't really remember TOV being promoted and thats still going at full price. This is a Square Enix RPG and probably going to be one of the best on the system. I don't see you getting a deal any less than $50 on this for quite some time.

I really do hope I'm wrong though, luckily I haven't even started Tales of Vesperia yet so I have plenty of time before I need to pick this up.[/quote]

Yeah i just started Fallout 3, being a newbie 360 owner there is lotsa goodness to be had. Ive got my sealed copy of Last Remnant on ebay feel free to pm if interested!

[quote name='Jmac825']I loved SO3 (played that game into the ground)... and I need a good JRPG for 360, so I might check this one out.[/quote]

Totally loved SO3 also, really kicks ass!

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']The lack of marketing is bothering me. I see ad's on 1up and IGN, but that's it. No hype at all at Gamestop. I was hoping for some type of preorder goodie.

Oh well, I can see where SE is probably feeling a little burned by the U.S. response to their recent RPG's, so why would they invest more than they feel they have to? I guess it's up to use to speak out mind using our wallets. I'll get this one the day it comes out. Hell, I paid $60 for Infinite Undiscovery and I don't really regret it.[/quote]

I think it has to do more with US sales of RPG's in general.

Aside's from final fantasy titles, recent rpgs really haven't sold comparatively well to just about any genre out there.

It's totally understandable why there would be little hype and less money put in advertising.

[quote name='Poor2More']You get a Soundtrack for SO4 when preordering, contains 12 songs I believe[/QUOTE]

Where?? I've checked all over and haven't seen anything about a preorder bonus in the U.S. I know Japan has some cool stuff, but...hell...they always do! We're lucky to get the game at all at this point.

[quote name='62t']looks like SE made some changes to the US version, for the worst

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/02/06/different-region-different-star-ocean-the-last-hope-interface/[/quote]

Yea, I don't get who they are targeting with these changes. I would think the majority of people buying this are well versed in JRPG's, prefer original artwork/voices and the overall "import" aesthetic. And anyone just picking it up for shits and giggles is not going to know one way or another anyway. Oh well, keep on doin what you do localizers.

It doesn't seem like a bad change except for the last one, which says that they removed character portraits during dialogue. Not a big deal, but the only one I can imagine possibly bothering someone.

Hmmm the Japanese version kind of reminded me of Tales for a second...but ultimately, I don't actually care XD. Its just the menus and junk so w/e

[quote name='elwood731']It doesn't seem like a bad change except for the last one, which says that they removed character portraits during dialogue.[/quote]

I concur. The english changes aren't bad, but not having a portrait will bug me when I know there is suppose to be one there.

All I can do is pray that there's an option (which there's likely not at this point) or that it can be patched in if S-E left it on the english disk. Although I doubt they'd actually put in a patch for it.

I'm not too bothered by the changes, I almost prefer the US version changes that they've made. I'm just excited that the game is coming out, I'm not too picky about the character portraits and what not as long as the core game play is the same, that's what really counts.

[quote name='elwood731']It doesn't seem like a bad change except for the last one, which says that they removed character portraits during dialogue. Not a big deal, but the only one I can imagine possibly bothering someone.[/quote]That would bother me but as long as they show the character's name above the dialog then it's fine imo. And I also think the anime portraits look better, but it's not a big enough difference to be upset.

I'm getting excited for this game. It doesn't look epic or anything, but it looks a lot more fun and memorable then the other RPG's we have this gen.

bread's done
Back