Star Ocean IV - The Last Hope - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='daschrier']Does anyone know if your quest completetion status carries over to a new game?
Surprised that there's no way to see what quests you have completed in the game.[/quote]

I think once you complete the game you get New game + (of course), and from there your battle trophies carry over.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

[quote name='will52']I think once you complete the game you get New game + (of course), and from there your battle trophies carry over.

Correct me if I'm wrong.[/quote]

Correct.

I was torn b/w this and Valkyrie Chronicle for my next console RPG today. I went with Valkyrie first since there I had played and loved the demo. I will grab this one next go round. Keeping an eye on this thread to see if you ppl playing stay with it and like it throughout.

Okay, anyone who's pretty far in, can you tell me
In the Cardian planet area, what do you do after you get the passcode? I can't for the life of me find a switch or door I'm supposed to go to. I opened the door with the thunder ring, went deep in until I got to the bridge where they figured out that a battle must've taken place, but I can't figure out what to do next. Faize says he has a passcode but I don't know where to go now

I think there is a area where you need to go watch a CS there should be a giant ! on your map.. and then behind that there is a door you can open AFTER you watch the CS

Rented this game last night at Blockbuster, I'm about 4 hours in. The voice acting is some of the worst I have ever heard, ever. But the combat system is excellent and pretty deep. The storyline is typical. I think the combat system more then makes up for the problems it has.

Also, I love the lack of loading screens. Everything loads so quickly. I was expecting Lost Odyssey load screens and was pleasantly surprised.

[quote name='BREVITY']I was torn b/w this and Valkyrie Chronicle for my next console RPG today. I went with Valkyrie first since there I had played and loved the demo. I will grab this one next go round. Keeping an eye on this thread to see if you ppl playing stay with it and like it throughout.[/quote]

I haven't played SO4 yet, but I'm pretty confident you made the right choice, since VC was the best game I've played in a long while.

That said, first sale I see on SO4 I'm probably gonna pick it up (It was in my Amazon quick picks yesterday and I was quite tempted, but I'll wait a bit longer).

Every thing about gameplay in SO4 is awesome, its just unfortunate the story and character are so awful. Just beat the game, and I never died once during the game, the bonuses and extra stuff is fun, I think another reason I liked it was cause I was dieing for a good RPG, the last few really sucked, overall fun game bad story 7/10.

[quote name='blueweltall']Any news of a PS3 port?[/quote]
I suppose it's possible, but I honestly doubt it. If they didn't put it out on both systems at once, I can't see them porting it to PS3 later.

On a different note, I HATE THE ARMAROS MANIFEST. Good lord that thing is annoying. I've died like 5 times fighting it. Currently I'm running around outside trying to level my guys up. I heard Meracle is good for the battle, so I'm trying to get her from level 33 to level 40-45. Ugh. And unfortunately you can't leave the planet, so I can't buy any frigging healing items.

[quote name='danked']wow really I never died once on any boss including the last boss, thought the game was really easy myself.[/quote]
What skill level were you playing on? Also, did you take time and fight all the enemies you saw as you were running around? For a while I would just dash past all the guys I saw, which hurt me when I got to bosses.

[quote name='YodaEXE']What skill level were you playing on? Also, did you take time and fight all the enemies you saw as you were running around? For a while I would just dash past all the guys I saw, which hurt me when I got to bosses.[/quote]

I played on the default, normal, difficulty. As for fighting enemies, I only really fought *everything* on the first planet as after it I just gave up and made sure I fought everything else at least once. All other fights were scriped, in the way, or back attacked me as I tried to run by.

If I remember right the boss you're fighting is kindof like a scorpion? The weak point to the boss is simply
blindsiding him and hitting him in the tail (Which always lowers after a blindside). I used Edge with little problem, but the mobs he spawns can be a real pain in the ass if you don't try and take out at least half of them when he spawns them. (Sometimes blindsiding with Edge was a pain if I remember due to his AoE stomp)

The reason why they say to use Meracle is because of her nearly uncounterable blindside while she's in her blindside animation. Just be sure to start off the post-blindside attacks with a skill rather than normal attacks for maximum damage.

[quote name='YodaEXE']What skill level were you playing on? Also, did you take time and fight all the enemies you saw as you were running around? For a while I would just dash past all the guys I saw, which hurt me when I got to bosses.[/quote]

Yeah its my play style, I never play a game on easy, so I was on Galaxy, and yes I search around to find everything, so I'm sure my levels were good. I only found one boss in the entire game that was even some what difficult.

Well, just beat the game. Got all but 2 of the endings. Gods the final boss was EASY. My guys were in the 60s level-wise, and I just kept using Edge's special arts to just destroy him. My healers were amazing. I never had to worry about my health. Only issue was in the beginning the guy was fond of turning me into a pumpkin. That was annoying.

Overall, phenomenal game. Very pleased with my purchase. I'm looking forward to a second playthrough on a higher difficulty and getting the final 2 endings that I missed.

She'll probably be underlevelled but should still be pretty powerful despite. Comet Impact is really strong straight out of the gate.

[quote name='Magus8472']She'll probably be underlevelled but should still be pretty powerful despite. Comet Impact is really strong straight out of the gate.[/quote]
Drill Spike FTW

Im not even grinding, but the final person to join the party came in 14 levels below me.. Im like WTH.. its a pain getting them up to my level lol.

All exp bonus boards ftw.

I think it's sad that the only challenges I've had in the game were from optional things like the the #1 team battle in Colosseum and the Seven Star Dungeon. I beat down that pathetically emo 'last boss' without much effort.

It's my fault for giving these bosses too much credit. After getting my ass handed to me by the last boss in the PSOne version of Star Ocean 2 (with his limiter removed), I've yet to face a main Star Ocean boss that hardcore. :(

Almost every review I've read the reviewers say the same thing

"The boss fights take half an hour and are hard"

Yeah ive never even lost a character in any boss fight.. I dont get what they're doing wrong..

Ive got a bit of free time over the next few weeks so I started playing Star Ocean the Last Hope a few nights ago. Been a while since I played an action RPG (that wasnt on the DS).

I'm pretty dang impressed thus far. Cool environments, good music, great battles and lots (and lots) of leveling up and item creation.

Some of the battles feel pretty challenging but even the grinding is pretty painless and you really get a spike in power when you level up which is nice.

One area I'm actually surprised in is the plot -- it's certainly not award-winning but it's keeping me engaged and I actually don't find the voice acting to be quite as horrible as many reviewers pointed out (I've heard worse, kay?;))

As I am still near the beginning (and this is going to be quite a time-sink) I'm curious as to CAG's spoiler free opinions on their experience with the game. Last time I played a decent action RPG like this was Grandia on the DC -- and there are certain things about this game that remind me of that one. I find I'm mostly using Edge (95% of the time)... Did you end up using any other characters often?

Any good minor tips for someone just starting out?

Hope it holds up!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rodimus']Grandia's an action RPG? :whistle2:s[/quote]

I guess its not real time battles but it felt more action-y - by means of the moving characters. I stand corrected.

(I'm mostly used to PC RPGS, and a few JRPGS on the DS)

[quote name='coltyhuxx']

As I am still near the beginning (and this is going to be quite a time-sink) I'm curious as to CAG's spoiler free opinions on their experience with the game. Last time I played a decent action RPG like this was Grandia on the DC -- and there are certain things about this game that remind me of that one. I find I'm mostly using Edge (95% of the time)... Did you end up using any other characters often?
[/quote]

I mostly used Edge early on, but using the other characters is necessary if you want to get all their battle trophies. Plus, I like to keep all my characters the same level so Edge is not always in my party (in those times I usually use Meracle)..

I'm only through a little over one disc myself, but so far I love this game. I'm a sucker for JRPGs and Sci-fi, so I'm sure that's allowed me to overlook a lot of the annoying things in the plot that others seem to complain about. I've been riveted. My only major complaint without spoiling too much is when Edge shifts into emo mode for almost the entire latter half of disc one. I wanted to reach into the TV and slug him several times.

Finally finished the game last night. I have to say . . . I enjoyed the first disc and a half a good bit, but after that, it really started wearing thin on me (
Oh my god, why didn't the other characters just smack Edge senseless every time he starting whining? I know that I wanted to, anyway.
). About the only reason I didn't abandon it was because I hated to leave it half-finished when I'd put so much time into it already.

I think the thing that I hated the most was the distance between save points in many parts of the game. I'll try to avoid too many spoilers, but last night it took me three and a half hours to get from the last save point to the end of the credits. I ended up being up way later than I should have been because I didn't want to lose all of my progress. Completely inexcusable, IMHO (especially in light of games like Fable 2 which allow you to save nearly anywhere, nearly any time, even with a much more complicated data set). But just wanted to throw that warning out there for anyone coming up on the ending -- make sure that you have lots of time for it before you start into it (
it could have actually taken a lot longer if I hadn't avoided a significant amount of the combat with the previous bosses in the alternate dimension
).

I'm not sure that I see this one getting played through again. I know that I've got Valkyria Chronicles and Eternal Sonata to get through before I'll even consider it, and I'm sure by then I'll have picked up something else (still want ToV, but waiting for the price to drop a bit at this point since it's been out for a while already).

Looks like they're going to be releasing a Collectors Edition of the game months after its initial release:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=215740

Square-Enix has passed over details of a Limited Collector's Edition of Star Ocean: The Last Hope.

Due out on June 5, here's what you get:

• Limited edition Star Ocean: The Last Hope Box: Unique 'digistack' packaging with dual gatefold, inside a special collector's sleeve.
  • Star Ocean Soundtrack Compilation CD:
    The Star Ocean Sound Best Collection showcases key themes from across the series specially chosen by the game creators and series fans.
  • Five Star Ocean: The Last Hope Character Cards: Collectable prints of lead characters from the game, using rare artwork not officially released in Europe and other PAL countries.
  • Brady Games Official Miniguide: 32 page game guide printed in full-colour, with extra character artwork, descriptions and walkthrough information - to help you on your journey through the universe.
  • Three Star Ocean: The Last Hope Game Discs
    Expansive galactic adventuring goes across three game discs, accompanied by full-colour play manual.
I think I speak for many when I say: fuck you, Squaresoft. Certainly would have been nice if you'd released this when the game came out.

[quote name='bvharris']I think I speak for many when I say: fuck you, Squaresoft. Certainly would have been nice if you'd released this when the game came out.[/QUOTE]

After playing all the way through that travesty of a game, I want to say "fuck you, Squaresoft" anyway. The more I think about how poorly designed and written that game was, the more pissed off I get, because there was so much potential there and instead it left me feeling like I'd wasted $60 and 40+ hours of my life. I'm actually thinking of writing a letter to them detailing everything that I thought was wrong with the game. I never do that.

I'm giving Infinite Undiscovery a try now, since I'd picked it up back before I grew so frustrated/upset with SO:TLH. Between the mixed reviews of it and it also being by tri-Ace, though, it only gets a limited chance. If it's as bad, I may never buy another Square Enix game again. Even my interest in Final Fantasy XIII has dropped considerably at this point.

Don't have time to write more right now, but when I get a chance, I'll make a more detailed post of my problems with it, to see what others who have played it through think. (behind spoiler tags, of course)

[quote name='arcane93']After playing all the way through that travesty of a game, I want to say "fuck you, Squaresoft" anyway. The more I think about how poorly designed and written that game was, the more pissed off I get, because there was so much potential there and instead it left me feeling like I'd wasted $60 and 40+ hours of my life. I'm actually thinking of writing a letter to them detailing everything that I thought was wrong with the game. I never do that.

Don't have time to write more right now, but when I get a chance, I'll make a more detailed post of my problems with it, to see what others who have played it through think. (behind spoiler tags, of course)[/QUOTE]

I'm playing it right now, and I've actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Sure there are flaws (including the thoroughly obnoxious protagonist) but I think it's an underrated game. I'm reserving final judgment until I finish it though.

[quote name='bvharris']I'm playing it right now, and I've actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Sure there are flaws (including the thoroughly obnoxious protagonist) but I think it's an underrated game. I'm reserving final judgment until I finish it though.[/QUOTE]

Haha, how far along are you? I felt that way up through about the first disc and a half. Then it all started rapidly going downhill from there. ;)

(not really but sort of a
and the ending... oh god, the ending... you may just want to leave the room while the ending plays, lest the sheer stupidity of it makes you want to throw your controller through the screen.
)

[quote name='arcane93']Haha, how far along are you? I felt that way up through about the first disc and a half. Then it all started rapidly going downhill from there. ;)

(not really but sort of a
and the ending... oh god, the ending... you may just want to leave the room while the ending plays, lest the sheer stupidity of it makes you want to throw your controller through the screen.
)[/QUOTE]

I'm on the third disc, so nearing the end I suppose. I'll see how I feel once I finish it.

[quote name='bvharris']I'm on the third disc, so nearing the end I suppose. I'll see how I feel once I finish it.[/QUOTE]

Cool, let us know what you think. It'll be interesting to hear other (opposing?) viewpoints on it.

[quote name='arcane93']After playing all the way through that travesty of a game, I want to say "fuck you, Squaresoft" anyway. The more I think about how poorly designed and written that game was, the more pissed off I get, because there was so much potential there and instead it left me feeling like I'd wasted $60 and 40+ hours of my life. I'm actually thinking of writing a letter to them detailing everything that I thought was wrong with the game. I never do that.

I'm giving Infinite Undiscovery a try now, since I'd picked it up back before I grew so frustrated/upset with SO:TLH. Between the mixed reviews of it and it also being by tri-Ace, though, it only gets a limited chance. If it's as bad, I may never buy another Square Enix game again. Even my interest in Final Fantasy XIII has dropped considerably at this point.

Don't have time to write more right now, but when I get a chance, I'll make a more detailed post of my problems with it, to see what others who have played it through think. (behind spoiler tags, of course)[/QUOTE]

That's too bad. I haven't heard much about SOIV, however I've been waiting to find it for $40 or less, and haven't tried it at all.

Lost Odyssey was my favourite JRPG style game on the 360. Give it a try before IU if you haven't already.

[quote name='WontonTiger']That's too bad. I haven't heard much about SOIV, however I've been waiting to find it for $40 or less, and haven't tried it at all.

Lost Odyssey was my favourite JRPG style game on the 360. Give it a try before IU if you haven't already.[/QUOTE]

I have played Lost Odyssey up to about half-way through, but I stopped because I got Star Ocean and really wanted to play it, and also because I was getting really frustrated with the shear quantity of random encounters. I started to feel like I wasn't getting anywhere because couldn't go more than two steps without ending up in another battle. That's one thing I really did like with Star Ocean -- no random encounters, I could for the most part choose to fight or not as I wanted.

I dunno, JRPGs used to be my favorite genre by far, but I'm having a lot of issues with this current generation for some reason. Maybe it's because I feel like a lot of the things that I'm having issues with have been problems plaguing the genre for a long time, and they should have been fixed by now.

Ya I feel the same... Jrpg's used to be 90% of my games back on the ps1/ps2, right now it feels like I have to broaden the genre of games I like because theirs barely any good rpg's... The only one I REALLY enjoyed was ToV but lost odyssey seems to be good too on the 360 and valk chronicles, disgaea 3 on the ps3... Eternal sonata is pretty fun too I guess, just felt slightly childish at times ( lets feed paper to the sheeps so they move away from the bridge!!! YAY THEIR WALKING AWAY!!!)

Oh well, some very good western rpg's at least, fallout 3, mass effect, oblivion :cool:

I feel that the AI of your squad is just horrible. They always seem to use their special arts right after I knock someone down or away. Then they just sit there completing their Arts in the middle of nowhere doing 0 damage. God damn frustrating. It took me till disc 3 to figure out you could disable symbols in combat.

I played most of the game using just 4 characters. I think it actually helps you stay ahead of the leveling curve. I would assume the boss fights would be very difficult and long if you were leveling all the characters.

This game makes me want to play a classic JRPG with turned based combat and full control over characters. I think Lost Odyssey is next. I hear great things about ToV but don't want to deal with AI.

[quote name='saqqy']This game makes me want to play a classic JRPG with turned based combat and full control over characters.[/QUOTE]

Yes. THAT. Why are all of the JRPG publishers trying to turn the combat portion of the games into half-assed button mashing action? I liked turn-based, strategic combat. If I want to play an action game, I'll buy an action game.

I liked SO4, despite having some of the most annoying cliche characters to grace a RPG. Square-Enix should stop putting child characters in these games.

Agreed the genre needs to evolve, although not with the idea that there needs to be more turn based games. Turn based strategy has moved onto larger scale battle with StratRPGs.

[quote name='arcane93']Yes. THAT. Why are all of the JRPG publishers trying to turn the combat portion of the games into half-assed button mashing action? I liked turn-based, strategic combat. If I want to play an action game, I'll buy an action game.[/QUOTE]

My feeling has always been that they think this is what Western gamers want. They're probably right for the most part, but it makes me more glad for series like Dragon Quest which aren't afraid to stick to the conventions.

I think it's possible for RPGs to succeed with real-time hybrid battles. For example, I think FFXII really nailed this dynamic. I didn't at all expect to be okay with real-time battles in a Final Fantasy, and I was.

Another game I really feel nailed the combat mechanic was Eternal Sonata, which managed to combine turn-based action with "button mashing" brilliantly. I think the combat was the best part of that game by far.

To be clear, I actually do like the combat in SO4, though I acknowledge its shortcomings: mainly that the AI for your party is pretty dumb.

The overall combat concept is good, the AI is what makes it horrible. To have your healer spamming offensive spells even though you set them to "Stay out of trouble" always bothered me. Like I said, it took me till disc 3 to figure out I could disable all offensive spells.

[quote name='saqqy']The overall combat concept is good, the AI is what makes it horrible. To have your healer spamming offensive spells even though you set them to "Stay out of trouble" always bothered me. Like I said, it took me till disc 3 to figure out I could disable all offensive spells.[/QUOTE]

Do tell. :D

how to disable the offensive spells? going off memory, you do that from the symbology menu (either use symbols or in combat), there should be an ON next to every single symbol, one of the buttons on the controller turns it to off.

bread's done
Back