Star Trek: Tactical Assault

[quote name='2Fast']I looked for this at Wal-Mart tonight but it wasn't there.[/quote]

I went to a few stores. I haven't seen it either.

Saw, it at EB games last sunday.

Nintendo Power gave it a 5.5 out of 10

The reviewer said that the game starts off with a "graphic-adventure-style approach" that has the player using "diplomacy and deductive reasoning rather than brute force." Unfortunately, the game then seens to quickly abandon that genre and becomes nothing more that a "clunky space-shooter."

Oh well, I will pick this game up when it's nice and cheap.

I played for about 30min and combat seems to just involve you and your enemy spinning around to bring your weapons to bear. Maybe I need to play it more and I do like the idea of levelling up your crew.

[quote name='Xevious']Its going for $20 new at Gamestop. I'm not sure if its worth it though.[/quote]

Saw it yesterday at GS/EB and Fry's. Both DS and PSP versions are $20 new.

Considering using some of my credit to get it. Guess I'll go for the DS version.

I ended up getting it for Christmas. I haven't really delved into it because I've been busy and have only been playing Final Fantasy III when I do play, but it's decent - especially for $20.

I think if I had the choice, I would have gotten the PSP version since you have to use the touchscreen AND the full set of buttons at the same time. It's pretty fun though, I've played some of the campaign but not too much; usually when I play, I play skirmish. It's a bit clunky, but it captures the feel of the battles on the show fairly accurately (better than other recent Trek games).

I think I'd be much more enthusiastic to play the game if it was set in TNG's timeline, but it's a fun time waister and I can honestly say it's worth $20 for Trek fans.

[quote name='2Fast']
I think if I had the choice, I would have gotten the PSP version since you have to use the touchscreen AND the full set of buttons at the same time. It's pretty fun though, I've played some of the campaign but not too much; usually when I play, I play skirmish. It's a bit clunky, but it captures the feel of the battles on the show fairly accurately (better than other recent Trek games). [/quote]

My first impressions: I like the touchscreen control, and haven't had to use the buttons at all. I do use the D-pad for movement, but it's not hard. The ability to skip around the menus quickly with the stylus makes up for any awkwardness.

There's a pretty big learning curve -- I'm actually going to read the instructions -- but it seems worth the effort. So far I've driven my starship into a starbase, plowed into an asteroid, and forgotten to go to red alert, which leaves you wide open for damage and unable to fight back.

It does feel a little clunky. I wish there were better feedback when I ran into something. It seems to have rumble pack support, so I'm going to have to try that.

I really like the way the game lets you make choices. You can go in with guns blazing, or you can try to talk to people and it changes the outcome, although like in real life, things can be a little unpredictable. Trying to talk your way out of the third mission will get you extra enemies.

I haven't gotten past that mission yet, but haven't found it frustrating either. The game is pretty well set up in that you can retry a mission quickly.

I think I'd be much more enthusiastic to play the game if it was set in TNG's timeline, but it's a fun time waister and I can honestly say it's worth $20 for Trek fans.

Again, first impressions, but I think it's totally worth $20. And I'm happy with the DS version.

bread's done
Back