Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens-SPOILERS INSIDE

Warning there is spoilers in this post...

So do you think they'll go the redemption route with Ren or will he end up dying bad? It would be repetitive to see him get the Vader treatment but they don't seem to  care about reusing things from the other films as this film proved. Talk about being awkward for him and everyone else if he does get redeemed though after what he did in this. I know Vader was responsible for possibly thousands of deaths but this was his damn father. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing them doing the redemption thing again if Ren survives and doesn't sacrifice himself or get killed immediately after turning like Vader did. Like he gets turned and is actually around as a good guy longer than 5 minutes.

Remember - Luke essentially killed Vadar (his father) so it's not unprecedented.

I would be a bit disappointed if Rey was Luke's daughter. It would be much cooler if she were from the Emperor's bloodline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember - Luke essentially killed Vadar (his father) so it's not unprecedented.

I would be a bit disappointed if Rey was Luke's daughter. It would be much cooler if she were from the Emperor's bloodline.
Luke fought his father and chopped of his hand but he do not kill or essentially killed his father. He refused and the emperor attacked him for that. If he would have kill his father, than he would have went to the Dark side. Vader was mortally injured by the emperor not Luke. Vader was also the one who brought balance to the force in the end by killing the emperor.

Luke fought his father and chopped of his hand but he do not kill or essentially killed his father. He refused and the emperor attacked him for that. If he would have kill his father, than he would have went to the Dark side. Vader was mortally injured by the emperor not Luke. Vader was also the one who brought balance to the force in the end by killing the emperor.
If anything, closure a Jedi makes. Screw you Yoda. WTF Fear leads to the dark side? Running away from it does.

Nope he died as a result of injuries inflicted by Luke , anything else is revisionist
you need to rematch Jedi, he died from the electrocution he took from the emperor when he threw him over. It fried his life support suite and he died.

Anyway, no idea where my in-laws got it, but they got me a special digital preorder of Force Awakens

image.jpg

That looks like it came from BB.... way to early to pre order it and the fact that most likely it will be a steelbook , I am going to wait on pre-ordering it until the SB is announced.

I'm guessing the guy saying Luke killed Vader is joking as anyone who actually watched that movie knows better. Like the other guy said Luke just chopped his hand off in rage and overpowered him for a second since Vader wasn't expecting that. It is FACT Vader died from the injuries he sustained from the Emperor when he saved his son by hurling him down the energy shaft. Even though Luke was way more experienced with the Force and had matured quite a bit from ESB he would have been murdered quickly had Vader actually fought him seriously in that fight. The Emperor and Vader did not want him dead, everything was a test.

I'm guessing the guy saying Luke killed Vader is joking as anyone who actually watched that movie knows better. Like the other guy said Luke just chopped his hand off in rage and overpowered him for a second since Vader wasn't expecting that. It is FACT Vader died from the injuries he sustained from the Emperor when he saved his son by hurling him down the energy shaft. Even though Luke was way more experienced with the Force and had matured quite a bit from ESB he would have been murdered quickly had Vader actually fought him seriously in that fight. The Emperor and Vader did not want him dead, everything was a test.
Spoilers, sheesh...

So I inadvertently got spoiled on two things before seeing the movie
Han dying and Luke being in the movie for 6 seconds

and it completely ruined those parts of the movie for me and made the movie somewhat predictable. It was still fun to watch though.

If any of you guys are on Twitter, look up Emo Kylo Ren. One of the best accounts ever.

EDIT: Also, apparently John Byoega (Finn) is a big Naruto fan.

OMG. How serendipitous, especially after I felt Kylo Ren was very Sasuke. Yeah, I can't really feel for emo characters. It took me a while to warm up to Sam Winchester.

and it completely ruined those parts of the movie for me and made the movie somewhat predictable. It was still fun to watch though.
The trailers also spoiled that:

Poe hadn't died. I was a bit sad when I saw the tie fighter sink, and then I remembered there's a whole bunch of other scenes we hadn't seen yet.

I'm going to stay away from trailers for the next movie.

I saw the movie at the IMAX dome in Ft Worth, but sat so close to the screen, I missed some of the action from having to move my head from side to side. Which theatre did you watch it at Dohdough?

The trailers also spoiled that:

Poe hadn't died. I was a bit sad when I saw the tie fighter sink, and then I remembered there's a whole bunch of other scenes we hadn't seen yet.

I'm going to stay away from trailers for the next movie.

I saw the movie at the IMAX dome in Ft Worth, but sat so close to the screen, I missed some of the action from having to move my head from side to side. Which theatre did you watch it at Dohdough?
Haha...you're right! I'm going to try and go blind next time for movies I really want to catch too.

I caught it at Woburn Showcase cause crowds are almost unheard of there. The only time I went to a packed movie was for Sex and the City 2. Yes, I went of my own free will for that one and as much of a fan as I am of the series, the movies sucked balls and not in a good way.

Odd thing is that the big reveal that we have covered in spoiler tags, I thought that's where they were going with it, so when it happened, it wasn't nearly a shock to me. Still was a very well-done scene.

Haha...you're right! I'm going to try and go blind next time for movies I really want to catch too.

I caught it at Woburn Showcase cause crowds are almost unheard of there. The only time I went to a packed movie was for Sex and the City 2. Yes, I went of my own free will for that one and as much of a fan as I am of the series, the movies sucked balls and not in a good way.
Your man card called, it wants a new owner.

Haha...you're right! I'm going to try and go blind next time for movies I really want to catch too. I caught it at Woburn Showcase cause crowds are almost unheard of there. The only time I went to a packed movie was for Sex and the City 2. Yes, I went of my own free will for that one and as much of a fan as I am of the series, the movies sucked balls and not in a good way.
I've never been to that one. I'll have to check it out at some point. I want to try to catch it at Jordan's if it's still playing there when I get back to MA.

I've never been to that one. I'll have to check it out at some point. I want to try to catch it at Jordan's if it's still playing there when I get back to MA.
It's pretty old-school with smaller screens, but like I said, it's almost never packed. Before the kid, that's where we'd go to catch all the releases on day 1 at prime times. There are also a couple light gun arcade games and they have one day a week with matinee price all day.

So.....how many times have you guys seen it?    I've seen it 5 times already.

1-Regal RPX

2-Regal Imax (Fake IMAX)

3-Alamo Draft house (4k)

4-Air and Space Museum (Real IMAX)

5-Pre-stadium seating theater.

Just in case you are wondering....

The Alamo Drafthouse or any other 4k theater the picture quality looked amazing.  Regal Fake IMAX had a bigger wider screen but did not change aspect ratio during the movie.   The A&S Museum displayed it in letter box format and the only scene shot in real IMAX was the escape from Jakku.  Nothing else that I could tell was shot in IMAX....  Honestly it was a waste....why?   Shooting them running away from the TIE's did not justify using that camera.   The chase in the Falcon was all CG and having up close shots of the actors was also a waste.   The CG shots were faked for IMAX.    So is it worth seeing it in IMAX ?  No.  

Anyone see it in D-BOX yet?

and it completely ruined those parts of the movie for me and made the movie somewhat predictable. It was still
fun to watch though.
Yeah, I avoided trailers, spoilers, general discussion etc., like a mofo which was difficult since I didn't see it till yesterday. I took my dad since he introduced me to star wars as a kid all those many years ago. What does he do five minutes before the show? Spoils the whole first part of your spoiler for me. Yep saw that scene coming a mile away after that.

Oh it completely wasn't shy about it. Probably the only reason I am not incredibly upset. If it was a blind out of left field or done with a bit more "didn't see that coming," I would be pissed.

I don't know if people been keeping up with the Star Wars news but there are definite nods to Kojima and the Phantom Pain in the Force Awakens.

I don't know if people been keeping up with the Star Wars news but there are definite nods to Kojima and the Phantom Pain in the Force Awakens.
What references and why are they even in there? There's been a picture of JJ and Hideo together on GAF over the last few weeks so I thought they were just friends.

So I just saw the movie a couple of weeks ago and I don't get the hype. It wasn't a bad movie but a lot of the story elements were just ripped from episiodes 4 - 6. So if it was supposed to be fan service, I felt like it was a miss in that the movie just felt unoriginal and after all this time I was hoping for something fresh. With that said, I do like the new characters. Seems like to me Rey is Han's daughter. The scenes with Han on the Millenium Falcon felt obvious to me. As for that one Han scene I did not see that coming. I know you guys feel like it was hinting at it but I didn't think it would actually come to that. All you knew was that they were going to have a confrontation. So I was shocked.

What references and why are they even in there? There's been a picture of JJ and Hideo together on GAF over the last few weeks so I thought they were just friends.

So I just saw the movie a couple of weeks ago and I don't get the hype. It wasn't a bad movie but a lot of the story elements were just ripped from episiodes 4 - 6. So if it was supposed to be fan service, I felt like it was a miss in that the movie just felt unoriginal and after all this time I was hoping for something fresh. With that said, I do like the new characters. Seems like to me Rey is Han's daughter. The scenes with Han on the Millenium Falcon felt obvious to me. As for that one Han scene I did not see that coming. I know you guys feel like it was hinting at it but I didn't think it would actually come to that. All you knew was that they were going to have a confrontation. So I was shocked.
Those were the 2 biggest takeaways I had as well. I was let down by how much of a re-tread it felt like but at the same time I really enjoyed the new characters. I didn't think it was a bad movie at all but I certainly didn't understand the fervor.
*ahem*

STAR TREK HAD THE BETTER REBOOT
That's a controversial statement to make on the Internet. I happen to agree myself though...

You know it's funny because one of the common complaints about Into Darkness was how no one liked that it basically came down to being a remake of Wrath of Khan, and yet that same complaint is largely disregarded/marginalized when it comes to The Force Awakens and that is certainly a much more egregious case of a remake.

Those were the 2 biggest takeaways I had as well. I was let down by how much of a re-tread it felt like but at the same time I really enjoyed the new characters. I didn't think it was a bad movie at all but I certainly didn't understand the fervor.

That's a controversial statement to make on the Internet. I happen to agree myself though...

You know it's funny because one of the common complaints about Into Darkness was how no one liked that it basically came down to being a remake of Wrath of Khan, and yet that same complaint is largely disregarded/marginalized when it comes to The Force Awakens and that is certainly a much more egregious case of a remake.
I had the same critique and mentioned it to my cousin that REALLY liked the movie. He explained it as "being part of the collective experience." I suppose I could've said the same thing about Phantom Menace, but I'm pretty sure I didn't because it was a shit movie with Darth Maul and chopping down droids being the only redeeming qualities of the movie...well, and maybe Darth Jar Jar. As for myself, the only movie that I can relate this level of fervor to is Mortal Kombat. Goddamn that movie was awesome. I literally watched it 4 times in one day when it was still out in the theaters.

There's overlap with the fandoms, but I think the lack of Star Wars content on the big and small screens compared to Star Trek makes a huge difference in regards to how forgiving they are to retreading ground. SW fans are so starved for content that they're willing to overlook all the callbacks to the original. The last big movie that did that, Terminator: Genesys, got almost universally shit on. I even think Genesys did it better than Force Awakens.

How's THAT for controversial! :D

From the official Star Wars website:
Red Eyed Sand Alien (watching BB-* roll away): "Kojima." -- Robert Stambler
This was after Poe X-Wing was destroyed and he told BB-8 to run away. An alien would pop-up and say Kojima.

The biggest one is C3PO red arm.

MGSV-header.jpg

DKD1ahZ.png

I thought the movie was pretty good, much better than the prequel. It started out really good than near the end it just got okay.
This is similar to how I feel about it. I feel like the best part of the movie is the beginning up until Han shows up. Then it just seems more interested in referencing the original trilogy than anything else.

I had the same critique and mentioned it to my cousin that REALLY liked the movie. He explained it as "being part of the collective experience." I suppose I could've said the same thing about Phantom Menace, but I'm pretty sure I didn't because it was a shit movie with Darth Maul and chopping down droids being the only redeeming qualities of the movie...well, and maybe Darth Jar Jar. As for myself, the only movie that I can relate this level of fervor to is Mortal Kombat. Goddamn that movie was awesome. I literally watched it 4 times in one day when it was still out in the theaters.

There's overlap with the fandoms, but I think the lack of Star Wars content on the big and small screens compared to Star Trek makes a huge difference in regards to how forgiving they are to retreading ground. SW fans are so starved for content that they're willing to overlook all the callbacks to the original. The last big movie that did that, Terminator: Genesys, got almost universally shit on. I even think Genesys did it better than Force Awakens.

How's THAT for controversial! :D
I know we're really pulling this off topic but I'm still not sure why Terminator Genisys got shit on as much as it did. I mean, it's by no means a T2 or even the first Terminator but it's not that bad and certainly better than 3 and Salvation. I mean, at least it tried to do some different stuff, even if one of the most interesting things it tried was completely ruined in the trailers...

That's something I'll definitely give The Force Awakens, the trailers didn't manage to give away all the best plot points which is really getting to be ridiculous this days. It was a problem a few years ago but now it's completely ruining movies. It's not just the popcorn action flicks either, The Revenant is completely ruined by its trailer.

I thought the new Terminator movie was pretty good too. I thought the big problem was the miscast of Sarah Connor. Emila Clarke look too small and fragile, and in some scene she looked like a teenage little girl. Arnold also made the movie good.

bread's done
Back