Star Wars Galaxies playing solo?

orbit18

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I've always had this MMO in the back of my mind ever since it a came out way back! However, I never got it, but did watch my friend play back in the days where (what I was told) it was difficult to become a Jedi. I was watching the movies a few days ago, and it made me want to start playing this game, however I don't really have a HUGE amount of time to dedicate. I used to play WOW but haven't played that in a while, but it was still soloable if I wanted to level and didn't need desperate help. I was wondering about the state of this game, and whether it's casual friendly now and if you are able to level through it and still have fun? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

[quote name='orbit18']I've always had this MMO in the back of my mind ever since it a came out way back! However, I never got it, but did watch my friend play back in the days where (what I was told) it was difficult to become a Jedi. I was watching the movies a few days ago, and it made me want to start playing this game, however I don't really have a HUGE amount of time to dedicate. I used to play WOW but haven't played that in a while, but it was still soloable if I wanted to level and didn't need desperate help. I was wondering about the state of this game, and whether it's casual friendly now and if you are able to level through it and still have fun? Any help is appreciated! Thanks![/QUOTE]

SWG is basically dead... it's been dead since the NGE/CU and that was like 5 years ago. Everyone is pretty much a jedi these days. My awesome TKA Master/Master BH/Master Doc was pretty much nerfed when the upgrades kicked in. I can't do shit with my DE alt. There is no point in me getting back into the game.

Within 6 months of KOTR going live, SWG will finally die. Everyone, and I mean everyone from SWG will migrate over to it and they will finally kill the game. So my guess is at the 10th anniversary of the game is when it will finally die off.

All the good people I knew moved to WOW a long time ago.

I would just wait for KOTOR... play the other SW games out until then.. You might even wanna play KOTOR I & II to familiarize yourself with the SW timeline/events that lead to KOTOR...

It was dope when it first launched. I played like a maniac for the first few months. Then... that's when things got out of hand.

I just went back to it a few days ago cause Sony gave all accounts 45 days. I have gone back to it on and off every few years and would play for a couple of months. There is some content, but I already find myself bored cause it's the exact same stuff I left 2 years ago. There are usually plenty of people if you pick Chilastra or Starstridder as your server.

As much as I miss SWG, it's not worth returning to in its sorry state. What made that game awesome was the community (some hardcore PK's in my instance) and without it the game is an empty shell. The reason I can't recommend the game as a solo experience is because there's nothing to do. Everything was built around having an active economy and very little content is soloable. It's also a very unique game in that you're either a fighter, crafter, or merchant. You can't mix them and be effective, so you need other players or an alt to feed the other. If you're a fighter, you can kill creatures for meat, to supply the chef, who deals with a merchant, who vendors the food buffs to the fighter.

This is how I remember the game and it was a fucking amazing system, one I've never seen reproduced properly. That and player housing. Holy-fucking-shit did they get this right. You will never see such an amazing quality of content that came from just customizing your house, shop, or guild hall. Various guilds would even organize entire cities devoted to merchants where players could hop a shuttle and spend the afternoon shopping. It defined what an MMO should be about; the players creating the content.

I could go on for hours but the bottom line is there's just no point playing it unless you have tons of players filling the streets to pvp, peddle wares, or just going about their business. That time has come and gone long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

[quote name='Jodou']As much as I miss SWG, it's not worth returning to in its sorry state. What made that game awesome was the community (some hardcore PK's in my instance) and without it the game is an empty shell. The reason I can't recommend the game as a solo experience is because there's nothing to do. Everything was built around having an active economy and very little content is soloable. It's also a very unique game in that you're either a fighter, crafter, or merchant. You can't mix them and be effective, so you need other players or an alt to feed the other. If you're a fighter, you can kill creatures for meat, to supply the chef, who deals with a merchant, who vendors the food buffs to the fighter.

This is how I remember the game and it was a fucking amazing system, one I've never seen reproduced properly. That and player housing. Holy-fucking-shit did they get this right. You will never see such an amazing quality of content that came from just customizing your house, shop, or guild hall. Various guilds would even organize entire cities devoted to merchants where players could hop a shuttle and spend the afternoon shopping. It defined what an MMO should be about; the players creating the content.

I could go on for hours but the bottom line is there's just no point playing it unless you have tons of players filling the streets to pvp, peddle wares, or just going about their business. That time has come and gone long ago in a galaxy far, far away.[/QUOTE]
This. The crafting/economy/community of SWG is what made it great, and playing the game now (on a whim I picked it up on Steam a while back for like $4) can be difficult solo due to the lack of players. It probably could be done if you wanted to, but expect to spend a lot of time traveling around just looking for stocked vendors to equip your character.

I remembered playing late night a few years back searching on the vendors for stuff and one search came up with I think everything for 100 credits. All the stuff in the vendor was some high quality shit so I went over to it's location and it turned out to be a guild hall...so I go in and bam, buy almost every high quality item on their vendor for 100 credits and nearly clean them out. Some of the stuff I bought normally went for 30 to 80k +. After I cleaned them out, I got a nasty bitchy email from I guess the owner of the shop saying something like:
"What the fuck dude?!?!? Those items are suppose to be for our guild members...give them back or we will report you to Sony and get you banned from the game..."

my reply was
"1. Your vendor/items were listed as public on the market.
2. Your guild was opened to the public.
3. You put those items for sale.
4. Sony doesn't give a fuck since it was a valid transaction and your fault for being stupid.
5. Have a nice day!

Never heard from him again...came back a few days later and he banned me from his guild hall... oh well :)

I never finished getting my master pilot level before the change over...hmm...

I really wonder how WOW still has millions of subscribers still after all these years.

oh btw...I was on the Radiant server.

Haha, that dude was an idiot. The one time I recall something like that happening on our server was some guy was storing items at a ridiculous price on his vendor (whatever the credit cap for listing items is, like 200 mil) but put up an item worth 4x as much while he moved stuff around the house. Someone saw it and bought it causing a bunch of drama for months lol.

I also remember the day they patched no-clipping for household objects because you could physically lock players inside your house by putting a cabinet in front of the door. No /unstuck feature there so the only way out was GM intervention. I seem to recall someone quitting the game after being griefed by a rival guild with no response from a GM after three days rofl.

Pre NGE/CU bounty hunting was fun. Getting a group together and tracking down a jedi who was AFK grinding.

I remembered this one time we went after a jedi with her friends and we finally got her (put up a good chase!) only to get tells from her husband and friend that she was holding her baby when she got killed..........dude what the fuck?!?!? I think I still have that screenshot somewhere.

I only ever leveled my Jedi with about 5-9 other Dark Jedi in the Geo Caves, so BH's were never a problem (and even if one did manage to make it all the way down to the merc room, most of us were on our second or third template so they didn't stand a chance 1v1). I remember getting so bored one day, that I solo ran all the way to the acklay, pulled it, and ran all the way back up with a train of like 50 mobs that we cleaved down in about 20 seconds haha.

Once in a while, we'd have a Light Jedi come down thinking they would just mooch off our spawns. Little did they know I had my BH parked near a terminal to pick up their bounty and come kill them, all while my Jedi was still leveling using a recurring macro. That game had the best PvP hands down.

Anyone who mastered BH was a fool.

Master Pikeman, 4-0-0-0 BH, Master Fencer, Master Brawler.

Good luck Jedi. Even unbuffed, with the right mind DOT pikes, Jedi simply couldn't kill you because you literally blocked EVERYTHING.

[quote name='redshadow']Anyone who mastered BH was a fool.

Master Pikeman, 4-0-0-0 BH, Master Fencer, Master Brawler.

Good luck Jedi. Even unbuffed, with the right mind DOT pikes, Jedi simply couldn't kill you because you literally blocked EVERYTHING.[/QUOTE]
You forget that BH REQUIRED master scout/marksman before they nerfed it to just a few trees from each IIRC. Going TKM with master investigation was pro afterward. Once a Jedi was dizzy/KD, it was lights out.

FYI, I owned master fencers because I was 2H Master Sabers/Master Healing w/ some defense trees. Trick was to dizzy them and make them kneel, not sweep, because when they tried to stand they were fucked. Then it was mind pool spam until they died. If for whatever reason they actually got me dizzy/KD, I'd exploit heal disease on myself because the animation forced me to stand up lol. It was hilarious how a simple bug caused so much rage lots of times after I'd DB them.
a-walk-in-the-park-theed-naboo.jpg

I decided to download the 14 day trial, but after three days I was already bored of it. I guess I'm spoiled by WOW(haven't played in over a year), but everything feels so outdated.(probably because it came out back in 2002) I might just wait it out until KOTOR mmo, but I've been playing KOTOR(bioware) on the PC lately, so that should keep me busy for a little.

Why don't they just release the damn user numbers for the game... I would have had a good laugh if those hackers found this information and posted the actual subscribers of the game. They have to be like under 10,000 accounts by now.

[quote name='Archfiend']It was dope when it first launched. I played like a maniac for the first few months. Then... that's when things got out of hand.[/QUOTE]

This.

I really wished SOE didn't royally fuck this up. SWG was the only MMO I ever got into.

[quote name='ITDEFX']SWG is basically dead... it's been dead since the NGE/CU and that was like 5 years ago. [/QUOTE]

/thread

I tried playing recently it's not the same game. Not a crappy patch I mean literally Doesn't play anything like the original and oddly it actually looks worse. Not sure how they pulled that off.

I am still wondering how COH managed to do a graphic engine upgrade like they did. Looks pretty.. Well you got to hand it to SOE ... In terms of planets and stuff to do on the planets, they did a fairly good job compared to STO.

bread's done
Back