Star Wars Saga Blu Ray Review: Nerd Rage Inside!

ITDEFX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Ok, now that the Star Wars Saga has been released for the first time in Blu-Ray format, I have decided to do an FAQ for those who are wondering if it's worth it.

-What is Star Wars?

Its a sci fi movie with action, cheesy lines, explosions, droids, weird creatures, clones, a guy in a black suit of armor, a scary evil guy in a cloak that plunges the galaxy into war so he can rise to power and so on.

-What is the Star Wars Saga Blu Ray?
This is the first High Definition Release of all 6 movies on the current home HD format on Blu Ray. The release contains all 6 movies with editional bonus discs with bts footage, deleted scenes, interviews and so on.
-What does the SWS BR package look like?
starwarscompletebluray.jpg

-Who is selling this?
Pretty much every retailer that sells Blu Ray's.

-I heard that Lucas has changed/added stuff for the Blu Ray Release, do you have a list?
From wikipedia:

Episode I: The Phantom Menace

• A new blurring effect is used when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan use Force Speed to escape the droidekas.
  • The medium shot of Nute Gunray and Rune Haako observing Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan escaping the droidekas has been replaced with a long shot.
  • In a scene with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan discussing Anakin's fate on Coruscant, the sun has brightened from orange to white.
  • All scenes with Yoda depicted by a puppet have been replaced with a CG model.
Episode II: Attack of the Clones

• During Anakin's nightmare scene, a voiceover of his mother Shmi has been added.
  • After Yoda saves Obi-Wan and Anakin from Dooku's falling pillar, the reaction shots of Yoda and then Anakin and Obi-Wan are moved up before the shots of Dooku escaping on his ship and Padme and the clonetroopers arriving and firing at him.
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

• The scene transition from Padme's ship to Anakin on Mustafar has been changed from a straight cut back to a wipe, restoring the original theatrical release.
Episode IV: A New Hope

• Obi-Wan's Krayt Dragon call has once again been changed.
  • In the scene where Obi-Wan discovers R2 hiding in an alcove, rocks have been digitally inserted into the frame to hide the droid.
  • The shot of Han and Greedo firing at each other has been shortened by several frames from the 2004 DVD version.
  • Luke's green light saber aboard the Millennium Falcon from the 2004 DVD has been corrected and is now blue.
  • The audio errors during the Battle of Yavin in the 2004 DVD have been corrected.
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

• In the shot when the wampa mauls Luke's tauntaun, the puppeteer's arm can no longer be seen.
  • In an exterior shot of Cloud City featuring Leia waiting for Han in her apartment, a reflection can now be seen in Leia's window.
Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

• A static long shot of Artoo and Threepio approaching the door to Jabba's palace has been replaced with an extreme long shot revealing more of the door, as the camera zooms in on the droids.
  • There are now brighter flashes of light when Han is released from the carbonite.
  • A CG Dug has been added to the scene in Jabba's palace which features sleeping partygoers.
  • A new closeup shot of Han striking Boba Fett's jetpack has been added.
  • Wicket's eyes now have CG eyelids, allowing him to blink.
  • When Artoo is shot by a stormtrooper, additional CG gadgets fly out of his body as he malfunctions.
  • The lightsaber errors from the 2004 DVD have been corrected and Luke and Darth Vader's lightsabers now have white cores.
  • Darth Vader now says "No" while Luke is tortured by the Emperor's Force Lightning attack, and then screams "Nooooo!" as he picks Palpatine up and hurls him into the Death Star's reactor core.

-Will there ever be an unaltered release of the OT on Blu Ray?
Unfortunately Lucas will never release an unaltered version of the Original Trilogy at this time.
-Are there any Screenshots comparing the OT/PT DVD releases to the BR releases?

Yes! The good folks over at Milenniumfalcon.com have released a number of screen shots comparing the DVD release and the BR release.

http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9065&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

-Will there be a 3-d Release of the Saga on Blu Ray?
At this time plans are well under way to release Star Wars: Episode 1 in 2012 , with the other movies released every year in 3D format. It is unknown if a 3-d blu ray will be released that same year as the 3-d theatrical release or after all the movies have been released in 3-D.
-Are there any reviews?
-Should I buy this now or wait for a sale (Weeks from now/Black Friday)?
It's really hard to say at this time. This could be a good price and then next week it could be double that price. It is unknown if it will be on sale on Black Friday.

-Should I buy it anyways?
Honestly it's totally up to you. There are a number of unnecessary changes to the OT that has caused controversy on the Internet. If you can tolerate these changes, then go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rumors']Does anybody think this will hit $65 or less by black Friday?[/QUOTE]

I dunno, lately all the high profile blu ray boxsets have dropped in price at least somewhat from their original release. The one exception I can remember is Alien anthology (another 20th century fox blu ray box release); aside from releasing them for cheaper individually (or the UK set) its been roughly the same price since release. On the other hand, I don't remember the DVD box set of Star Wars ever being that much cheaper than when it was released...

[quote name='soonersfan60']As much as I think the "Noooo" is cheesy, I can see more of an artistic reason for including it now if it is the same audio sample. Lucas was always big into parallels in the movies.

I agree with ssjm (post #75) that changing the light sabre color would have been cool (and also fit with the "parallels" theme).

I saw all the movies at their first run in theaters, watched them many times at home, and own several versions on VHS/DVD. I honestly would not have noticed the majority of the changes if not for reading them on the internet. The one exception being Greedo shooting first. I can understand the "consternation" on that one, but also Lucas' reason for changing it. Aside from that, I think most of the "debate" is pointless. (Well, maybe another exception is Hayden appearing as the ghost Jedi at the end... that seems odd that Anakin gets to be the younger version and Ben doesn't.)

(And yes, CGI Yoda looks better in the Internet clips I've seen, but I'm okay with it either way. Jar Jar Binks was annoying, but it would bastardize the movie even more to make such a major change after the fact.)[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify about Anakin's lightsaber in Episode 3. It's blue because its the same lightsaber Obi-wan gives Luke in Episode 4 ("Your Father's lightsaber) . I guess Vader could have changed it red, and then Obi-wan could change it back to blue before he gives it to Luke.

Also, while I agree Lucas is big on parallelism, whats the point of paralleling of the most silliest things in the prequel trilogy.

In terms of the changes in general though, I probably would have to agree with you. Most are unnoticeable.

Can't wait till more reviews show up though. As much as I want to buy this, I hate buying things for full price on release day. Maybe an exception this time:)

I'm going to take the wait route. LOTR first set was expensive when it came out and can be found for like $30 or cheaper ever since the Extended trilogy came out. People who bought the whole first set for 7.99 are just the exception though lol.

There will be another version of the Star Wars saga out and it will drive the first set prices down.

[quote name='Bankotsu']I'm going to take the wait route. LOTR first set was expensive when it came out and can be found for like $30 or cheaper ever since the Extended trilogy came out. People who bought the whole first set for 7.99 are just the exception though lol.

There will be another version of the Star Wars saga out and it will drive the first set prices down.[/QUOTE]There was only one version of the Star Wars saga (the individual prequel releases and the original movie box set) that ever came out on DVD, what makes you think they'll dilute their market this time by LOTRing it up?

[quote name='KingGondo']There was only one version of the Star Wars saga (the individual prequel releases and the original movie box set) that ever came out on DVD, what makes you think they'll dilute their market this time by LOTRing it up?[/QUOTE]

There was also a theatrical (i.e. unaltered original) version of the original trilogy released on DVD. They weren't very good transfers but it's certainly possible that Lucas could release those on Blu. And maybe 5 or 6 years down the line I think they will also release a new set with 3D versions of the movie. So yes, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last SW set to be released on Blu.

[quote name='KingGondo']There was only one version of the Star Wars saga (the individual prequel releases and the original movie box set) that ever came out on DVD, what makes you think they'll dilute their market this time by LOTRing it up?[/QUOTE]

3 releases on DVD of the Original Trilogy - 2004, 2006, 2008.
The prequels were released individually and then as a boxset in 2008

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_DVD_releases

[quote name='KingGondo']There was only one version of the Star Wars saga (the individual prequel releases and the original movie box set) that ever came out on DVD, what makes you think they'll dilute their market this time by LOTRing it up?[/QUOTE]Yeah people seem way too casual in their assumptions that there will be other versions of these. In Lucas's twisted mind, people accept these as definitive versions and there is no demand for the originals.

I think our only real hope at this point is the 3D release. Maybe he'll be convinced to throw in the originals as an extra, only this time he "handicaps" them with non-3D discs instead of non-anamorphic transfers. I can dream... :cool:

I would bet you any sum of money that during the life of the blu ray disc at least one other version of Star Wars will be available for purchase on blu ray.

[quote name='The Punisher']6.1? Never heard of it. Do u mean 5.1?[/QUOTE]

Nope. I mean I got a 7.1 Denon AVR-1912 Receiver to play the DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1 track that is the audio staple on the STAR WARS Blu-ray Collection.

[quote name='ZForce915']I would bet you any sum of money that during the life of the blu ray disc at least one other version of Star Wars will be available for purchase on blu ray.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Star Wars 3D.

[quote name='arcane93']Yup. Star Wars 3D.[/QUOTE]

Stop thinking small, guys. Star Wars in 4D with Smell-O-Vision. I can smell the Bantha poodoo already... ;)

[quote name='ssjmichael']There was also a theatrical (i.e. unaltered original) version of the original trilogy released on DVD. They weren't very good transfers but it's certainly possible that Lucas could release those on Blu.[/QUOTE]

Those DVDs were rips of the laserdiscs, which meant they had a resolution of 567x480 (i.e., less than standard DVD quality, which is 720x480), and they were non-anamorphic (hence the windowboxing). There would be utterly no point to releasing those on blu-ray. It would be even more of an insult than those DVDs were.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Stop thinking small, guys. Star Wars in 4D with Smell-O-Vision. I can smell the Bantha poodoo already... ;)[/QUOTE]

That will be the first HVD release. :lol:

[quote name='arcane93']Those DVDs were rips of the laserdiscs, which meant they had a resolution of 567x480 (i.e., less than standard DVD quality, which is 720x480), and they were non-anamorphic (hence the windowboxing). There would be utterly no point to releasing those on blu-ray. It would be even more of an insult than those DVDs were.

That will be the first HVD release. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I meant the theatrical versions could show up on Blu not specifically a Blu-ray version of that shitty DVD transfer, that wouldn't really make sense. I would assume they'd use the original film masters for any theatrical version on Blu since there really isn't any other source for an HD version of the films.

[quote name='arcane93']Those DVDs were rips of the laserdiscs, which meant they had a resolution of 567x480 (i.e., less than standard DVD quality, which is 720x480), and they were non-anamorphic (hence the windowboxing). There would be utterly no point to releasing those on blu-ray. It would be even more of an insult than those DVDs were.
[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's what we're going to see: COMING 2013, STAR WARS ORIGINAL THEATRICAL BONUS VERSIONS. They're still the laserdisc transfers, but this time they've been uselessly upscaled and cropped to 16:9. So you don't have to use the zoom function and they'll still look pretty crappy. PLUS DTS-HD MA 2.0 STEREO (1.0 MONO ON EPISODE IV)!!!

Personally, I think that's the perfect pitch for what Uncle George is sure to give us. Whether they'll be on separate discs or all extra compressed on one disc is another questions altogether, but I'm guessing that they'll be separate discs just to drive up the price.

I must say, though, that there are plenty of collectors with pristine prints of the original trilogy (well, Star Wars especially) that could easily be very lightly cleaned up and look pretty damn good on Blu-ray if the masters are absolutely ruined like Lucas says they are. I'm pretty sure it's been discovered that the 3 strip versions (with all color information stored on three separate strips of film and pretty much indistinguishable from the original negatives) are still in pretty much perfect condition in a vault somewhere, but as long as George is alive there's no chance that he'll allow anyone to go back to those to give them a good 4k or 8k scan.

Oh, to be a Star Wars fan. :p

What really surprised me is the lack of promotions retailers are doing for this release. You would think they would throw in something kinda old to push the sale to their store like buy the saga and get TFU 2 or another sw game for free. A steelbook would be nice.

If anything, at least a midnight release with prizes and entertainment and food for the nerds....that's what they did for the 2004 release of the OT on DVD.

I don't think Blu has enough mainstream adoption for most stores to do midnight launches.

Hastings is the only store that I know of doing a midnight launch.

[quote name='Scorch']I don't think Blu has enough mainstream adoption for most stores to do midnight launches.

Hastings is the only store that I know of doing a midnight launch.[/QUOTE]

I agree but Star Wars is a big thing for all retailers...it's a pretty much guaranteed seller. Midnight releases can be fun if done right.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm starting to enjoy seeing what new changes each release brings. It is almost comical to see what new change upsets people the most, and I think Lucas must be doing it on purpose by now. How boring it would be if he kept releasing the same identical films over and over. And I doubt he does it to milk more money out of the fans from rereleases, because after you hit the billion mark, you kind of don't care about that anymore.

[quote name='scottman']I'm probably in the minority, but I'm starting to enjoy seeing what new changes each release brings. It is almost comical to see what new change upsets people the most, and I think Lucas must be doing it on purpose by now. How boring it would be if he kept releasing the same identical films over and over. And I doubt he does it to milk more money out of the fans from rereleases, because after you hit the billion mark, you kind of don't care about that anymore.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that he keeps bitching that he's not "done" with the OT over 30 years later. As long as ILM keeps on re-inventing the wheel every 6 months, he's going to go back and edit them..... adding Vader's NOOOO in ROTJ really doesn't change the outcome or the meaning of the scene...now if he added, "My son............I can't allow this to happen to him..." or something like that then maybe ok... but leaving it alone without the NoooOOo is fine too. Now with the exception of the 2004 release of ESB, he hasn't fucked around with the Emperor at all....no mention of battle droids or clones outside of ANH.

ANH dialog track is really bad, yet they never can fix it no matter how many releases.

[quote name='Squarehard']Turning out to be a pretty entertaining thread.

*goes to grab more popcorn*[/QUOTE]

I warned you about the nerd rage....

holy shit that review is long.

preordered mine the day it came out from amazon. actually looking forward to this. never opened my dvd box set.

[quote name='mietha']Agreed 100%. I am sad to say that there will very likely never be another true SW release until he is dead.

Maybe if he, oh, I don't know, did something new instead of milking the same things for 30+ years, he would have better things to do than fuck up classics. Extra rocks? Really?[/QUOTE]
Like i said to the other babies, you can boycott it, it's your right but it won't change the fact this is going to be the biggest selling blu-ray, it's going to shatter records.

I still don't understand the need to come on the internet and cry and bitch about something so trivial, if you don't like it then don't buy it, if extra rocks and such piss you off this much may i suggest you go outside? fix your priorities? they are trivial changes, doesn't stop them from still being amazing movies.

Don't be so dramatic. Vote with your money. I for one, will be voting for the best sextet in film history, changes (and PT) be damned. Oh WOW, episodes 1-3 look GREAT, and yoda looks even better in episode I. Oh wait, SFX and graphics look and sound better in all movies even though they changed those three parts. Ohhhh poor baby.

It's Star Wars on Blu, with deleted scenes and featurettes we've NEVER SEEN. Buy it, love it, don't bitch about it.

I don't blame anybody that doesn't buy it on principle, but I won't be one of those people.

[quote name='Squarehard']Turning out to be a pretty entertaining thread.

*goes to grab more popcorn*[/QUOTE]

I agree, very entertaining. :) Here's my boring 2 cents, which is not even entertaining to me:

I completely understand why so many are upset. I grew up watching the theatrical versions over and over and over at a rate that most physicians would diagnose as obsessive compulsive. According to my Aunt, she played the original trilogy for me when I was only a few months old. When I was around 2 or 3 years old, I'd ask to watch "the big robot and little robot," (meaning C3P0 and R2D2). In essence, I wanted to watch Star Wars over and over again at an age when I didn't even know what "Star Wars" was.

I'm buying the $80 set day one. Amazon already says it's "shipping soon." To all of you people boycotting: If you're not at least buying the original trilogy on blu-ray for $29.99, you're not a Star Wars fan. You don't deserve to call yourself a fan of Star Wars. After the years of idiotic Lucas tweaks, you most likely don't want to be fans anyway.

To the people who are waiting to buy the movies used so that they aren't contributing to George Lucas' insanity: That's actually pretty smart. I commend you on waiting. You might end up paying for than $80 used for the complete set or $30 for the original trilogy. I wish you the best of luck and hope you find a good deal on the films down the road in used condition. If you play the waiting game, I'm positive you will. It will just take a little time. I wouldn't be able to hold my load for that long. I've been waiting long enough to watch these films on blu-ray on my shitty 42" 1080i piece of garbage TV. I'm ready to blow my wad this Friday. I've had blue balls since "High Definition Television" was invented.:)

I'm definitely going to get these at some point. I'm past the point of caring how much Lucas has messed with the films. But I'll probably be waiting for Black Friday or something.

[quote name='Javery']I always thought this was because your ghost appearance was meant to mirror when you were last a Jedi. It makes sense if you look at it that way.[/QUOTE]

Well, I thought of that, too, but it still seems odd that you are frozen in time when you're a Jedi. The other issue is that the "old" Anakin would lack real limbs to stand up on... Can ghosts have artificial legs or would they just float under the robe?

[quote name='soonersfan60']Well, I thought of that, too, but it still seems odd that you are frozen in time when you're a Jedi. The other issue is that the "old" Anakin would lack real limbs to stand up on... Can ghosts have artificial legs or would they just float under the robe?[/QUOTE]

I do think ghosts can have artificial ghost limbs - no question. I think you are right that "old " Anakin was already on the dark side when he lost his limbs - except for his hand which he lost while still a Jedi so his ghost form should appear as "young" Anakin with a prosthetic ghost hand. :D

I always assumed since that was his moment of redemption that it is the reason he appeared as Old Anakin in the O-OT (and also so the audience isn't like, "Who the fuck is that young dude with the missing hand?)". As a reward for turning back to the light side, his body is made whole again.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Literally just got a ship confirmation for my Complete Saga from amazon.[/QUOTE]

Same, will be delivered tomorrow.

Looking forward to watching these! Been several years since I saw the OT, and a few years since the PT.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Same, will be delivered tomorrow.

Looking forward to watching these! Been several years since I saw the OT, and a few years since the PT.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I just turned on "text tracking" to get text message alerts on my phone. If I sleep in Friday, hopefully my phone alerts will wake me up.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Complete Saga shipped from B&N today. $44.79 after the January 50% off coupon, ordered in store. Nice.[/QUOTE]

Same here: at least it did not take as long as them shipping me the 5-Disc Tron months ago.

[quote name='jcmeadows']Well my copy was just delivered from walmart.com. Guess ill set down and start watching them anyway lol[/QUOTE]

You son of a b!tch. ;););)

You lucky bastard. :applause::applause::applause:

;)

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']You son of a b!tch. ;););)

You lucky bastard. :applause::applause::applause:

;)[/QUOTE]

I was suprised as hell that it came. I ordered Thor and O Brother the same day (sunday night) and they shipped first and still havent got here.

[quote name='jgiovanni']Same here: at least it did not take as long as them shipping me the 5-Disc Tron months ago.[/QUOTE]

:wall::wall::wall:

God damn it!!

Why are the folks not buying it babies? Why are the folks buying enlightened? Why are the folks pointing out the changes and wishing for the original trilogy in Hi-Def whining? They aren't supposed to do anything but cheer lead George Lucas? I agree with those that say if you don't like it don't buy it but that being said people that don't like it opinion is just as valid as those that don't mind the changes.

I received my DVDPlanet $65 Complete Saga in the mail today.
It's very nice. Gonna watch Episode IV tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jgiovanni']Same here: at least it did not take as long as them shipping me the 5-Disc Tron months ago.[/QUOTE]

I also scored a copy at B&N, how did you guys find out when it shipped. I haven't received any emails. I remember they also took their sweet time shipping Tron and LOTR EE. But if they barely shipped I wouldn't expect to see it in the mail until next week.

[quote name='jazzman']I also scored a copy at B&N, how did you guys find out when it shipped. I haven't received any emails. I remember they also took their sweet time shipping Tron and LOTR EE. But if they barely shipped I wouldn't expect to see it in the mail until next week.[/QUOTE]

Got an email from B&N with tracking info. Shipped via DHL.

[quote name='Canoli2007']Any midnight releases happening? Walmart perhaps?[/QUOTE]

Well yes, walmart should have it by midnight tonight for those 24 hr walmarts out there. Only problem is that by 10pm , the night crew is out and about and no one speaks English or properly manning the electronics department, so you may not be able to get it til 8am tomorrow. :(

bread's done
Back