Star Wars Thread - Episode IX Releasing 12/20/19

My 7 year old did not like the movie and was mad at Luke for not really fighting. TLJ failed at capturing the imagination of a child who loves Star Wars. I just hope that the next movie is able to recapture the sense of mystery and adventure that TLJ was lacking

Soooo, minor scene - as most of the other stuff have been talked about in this thread - how did Leia not know the shuttle coming in was friendly. Wouldn't her power with the force give her a friendly premonition? I mean she even says they're coming as like she knows who were going to be going under the big massive door. Then everyone shoots at the hull and they just put up their hands and say don't shoot... Oh fuck, a blaster just shot my freakin' hand off!
Not spoilers. Trying not to make a long thread

maybe if the people on board were people she knew strongly or were force sensitive maybe she would have sensed them but she hardly knew them. There's no way she would know friendlies are onboard, plus two tie fighters were close behind; it could have been a scouting party.

Since she isn't trained I don't think she can see the future at will, maybe if she were in deep mediation but it wasn't that long the 1st order was going to attack them so I doubt she had the time to meditate and probably had other things in mind.

The resistance knew the 1st order was going to follow them to Crait so they were expecting them to arrive in any minute. That's why when she saw the shuttle and tie fighters heading towards the base she yelled they're coming because they had arrived/commence the attack, she didn't know the tie fighters were chasing the shuttle., and either way seeing tie fighters that's a sign the first order was coming.

Then you have overly cute designed fucking Porgs (with giant eyes). And they're the symbol of the Light Side of the Force and not those crystal wolves!? Chewbacca doesn't eat one, they then infest the ship and are implanted in as comedy scenes

they did shoved them through our throats. I was hoping chewy would eat them all so they stop appearing so much lol

Then Luke just fades away at the end because he overexerted himself with the distraction? Did you do your force projection stretches? - Just go back to your stone hut and sleep it off Luke! Lol, oh it was that extra force projection of the thing you gave Leia (which she held in her hands btw) - that did it wasn't it.
Lol, wtf is going on?!
I don't know. that made sensed to me. He had to muster all of his force life to project his avatar across space/galaxies. That's no easy feat and I doubt any jedi could have done that. I can only imagine the amount of power required needed to accomplish that. It was a monumental feat. Don't know why people are dismissing it as nothing. Now, that it wasn't as cool as if he would have actually been present fought him? maybe.

Then Holdo is given command - even though Poe was being groomed by Leia to succeed her

That mofo disregarded a direct order from leia resulting in the destruction of the entire bomb squadron and it's personnel and got immediately demoted from commander to captain plus holdo was a much higher ranking officer. I guess poe needed to learn some things before given the mantle.

meanwhile the New Order can't jump in front of them or have reinforcements jump in front of them?
good point. maybe they were enjoying them suffer in despair and toying with them. or too dumb haha

& ultimately decides to kamikazee into Snoke's ship... Ok, soooo if you wanted to do that as an attack, why didn't they implement this to a missle or X-Wing - don't get me started with the bowling ball mines from the beginning of the movie?
There was only 1 cruiser left and it was full of transport ships, they didn't have xwings as they all were destroyed and I guess a cruiser would have been more effective against snokes ship than a tiny xwing. I was surprised to see the bowling balls falling like that w/o gravity put they kinda explained how in the SW visual book. I'll attach the images.

[attachment=29132:bombs.jpg]

[attachment=29133:bombs2.jpg]

https://twitter.com/poesdameron/status/946115546558242816

There's that whole thing where she continues to point out Poe's demotion in front of the bridge personal and not discussing their current plans with him
she did that so he could remember why and who did that and inserting her authority. She didn't need to tell him the plan. only other trustworthy, high rank officers could know. It was a need to know basis. doubt she would trust a hot headed dude who disregarded an order from leai and got a lot of people dead.

With the mutiny scene, nobody died until Holdo instigated it,
she didn't killed anybody. she stunned him. that's why you see the bluish circles coming out her gun.
did I just burst out laughing when fully intact but jettisoned into space Leia just pulled herself back - Superman style mind you - into the ship with the force.
yeah.. that was poorly executed. looked kinda weird.
They have a beacon active and they're wondering how they're bring tracked!? Seriously, set the beacon on a planet so only the planet is compromised and not the entire fleet. I'm pretty sure Finn was trying to do that but Rose never let him and assumed because he left the NO and was near an escape pod that he was running again.
​They weren't being tracked because of rey's home beacon.
Finn was leaving because they couldn't let rey know what was happening and wanted to leave to a safe place so when rey came back the beacon would lead her to a safe place and not in the middle of a war zone.
Phasma... Phasma who?
​phasma was like bobba fett. appeared in some scenes and died falling down

Technically Fett lived in the original canon, but now that Disney runs things I presume they kept him dead.
the EU(now called legends) was never officially canon so it really doesn't count. After ROTJ his story ended. But who knows now, before they decided on doing the han solo and obi wan movie they also had boba fett for a stand alone movie. until they scratch it off for the obi wan movie.

she didn't killed anybody. she stunned him. that's why you see the bluish circles coming out her gun.

​They weren't being tracked because of rey's home beacon.
Finn was leaving because they couldn't let rey know what was happening and wanted to leave to a safe place so when rey came back the beacon would lead her to a safe place and not in the middle of a war zone.
​phasma was like bobba fett. appeared in some scenes and died falling down
Holdo instigated a distraction where all hell broke loose. It was calm and orderly before when Poe relinquished a failing commander's position. Holdo's takeover was only stopped by Leia who miraculously came out of her coma and again miraculously laser edged open the door.

Bobba Fett had more character development than Phasma, there's a ton of characters that didn't have any character development. It's just plain weird. I suppose since we never saw her die Phasma could still be alive according to movie rules.

Technically Fett lived in the original canon, but now that Disney runs things I presume they kept him dead.
There's rumors that Fett will make an appearance in the Han Solo standalone movie so I guess we'll see what they'll do. Although I'll care less, don't have any desire to see Ep 9.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holdo instigated a distraction where all hell broke loose. It was calm and orderly before when Poe relinquished a failing commander's position. Holdo's takeover was only stopped by Leia who miraculously came out of her coma and again miraculously laser edged open the door.

Bobba Fett had more character development than Phasma, there's a ton of characters that didn't have any character development. It's just plain weird. I suppose since we never saw her die Phasma could still be alive according to movie rules.
Don't see the point you're trying to make in the first sentence but poe's takeover was calm because he betrayed them from the back so there wasn't any fight while holdo was held captive so the only way to get out was fighting. I don't think leia herself was the one that lasered the door, more so holdo and her group using whatever tool they used for the laser and leia luckily woke up at the right moment.

How can you say fett had more character development when he barely spoke more than a couple of lines, appeared briefly in scenes and was mostly standing around almost motionless observing and receiving orders. the other character people complain about character development is snoke. I wish they had said more about him but he is what the emperor was in the OT. Before the prequels that took 15-20 yrs to make we didn't know anything about the emperor. Who he was, how he was the emperor, why he was vaders master or how? why he was there? and died as easily as snoke but I don't see anybody complaining when they're the same.

How can you say fett had more character development when he barely spoke more than a couple of lines, appeared briefly in scenes and was mostly standing around almost motionless observing and receiving orders.
Because characters naturally belonging in a story do things without having to say it. Boba was summoned by the Empire (which goes to show the amount of faith placed in that character) to track the Rebels and has ulterior motives with the bounty on Han. He doesn't contribute necessarily to the capture of Solo, but he does put into motion all the events back on Tatooine which ends up being a huge part of the main story. What exactly does Phasma do with all her screen time? Absolutely nothing.

This doesn't even look like the a real OTT  but Darth's news clip is here and there's no activity so that makes me think it could be real.

TBH, the community around SW has really killed the hype for me. I know it's going to suck because the last two have been steadily downhill and it clearly had impact with just how badly divided people are. There's a lot of claims that older fans are stuck on the old cast and unable to accept the new characters. Bullshit. I like Rey, and (masked) I like Kylo for their screentime but their adventures are just plain shitty and boring, mainly with Last Jedi being so directionless. Solo had more of a jaunt to it and got shit on by reviewers, so IDK what people are thinking anymore.

Hell, at this point I'm more hyped for Mandalorian once Disney+ launches. Not expecting great things, but it could be good. ;)

I mostly liked The Last Jedi, and I'm fine with it being cavalier with throwing out conventions. I don't love what they did with some of the characters (Finn and Poe seemed to diverge a lot from how they were established and characterized in TFA) but enjoyed more of the film than I didn't. It's interesting to look back on some of the critiques put out about Empire, some fans hated it when it released and I wonder how the new trilogy will be regarded in 10-15 years.

Re: Solo, I finally saw it a few months ago and had very low expectations, I think it was poorly marketed and that they have over-saturated the release schedule. I ended up enjoying it a lot, and thought that Alden Ehrenreich actually did a great job with the character in ways that were not captured in trailers / promos. 

Soo, who's got thoughts on that D23 sizzle feel? Dark side Rey? Dark side 3P0? That impressive shot of all those star destroyers?! I'm actually getting a little hyped now.

Two weeks late, but here's the final trailer for Episode IX, which has been added to the OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qn_spdM5Zg

Some friends and I are going watch Eps 3-8 leading up to the new one, starting with III mainly to make sure my friends (and girlfriend) who aren't as nerdy as I am appreciate Palpatine's presence in the new film.

Just found out pre-sale tickets have been up for almost 3 fucking weeks. Wow, I feel stupid now since I figured it would be maybe a month in advance and there was no news or anything about it that I heard. I have AMC black tickets for this and wanted to use them for opening night in IMAX but that ship has sailed unless I want the in-your-face front row experience (did that once and it's god awful). My own fault for not constantly checking but still pissed.

I got notified about it from multiple movie apps the night that last trailer dropped. Bought tickets the next day with no issues.

Some friends and I are going watch Eps 3-8 leading up to the new one, starting with III mainly to make sure my friends (and girlfriend) who aren't as nerdy as I am appreciate Palpatine's presence in the new film.
Why yousa no wanna watch Eps 1 and 2? Deesa mui mui good movies!

I got notified about it from multiple movie apps the night that last trailer dropped. Bought tickets the next day with no issues.
Only movie app I use is AMC since I'm a member. They love to spam so I had notifications disabled. It's weird that I didn't get any emails over it though, since Atom likes to spam promos. I guess it was just the right combination of disconnected to the movie world since I don't use the app unless I'm about to see a movie lol.

Episode III is better than I remembered. The dialogue between Padme and Anakin is still rigid and awkward, but the second half of the film is pretty solid. My girlfriend enjoyed it more than I expected, she's never paid much attention to the series and hasn't seen them all, so this bodes well for the original films and the current releases.

She DID ask if Natalie Portman was Princess Layla, though.

Why yousa no wanna watch Eps 1 and 2? Deesa mui mui good movies!
:fridge:

I will immediately defer to the Angry Joe review of this movie because they do a great job going scene by scene (from memory) and illustrating both past and present issues with the movie, such as suspension of disbelief to be able to enjoy it. For me, the movie wasn't bad in a way of it was boring, it's just bad in a sense of trying to fix two movies worth of plot and wrap up the entire fucking franchise into the last hour. They should have made this one longer and had time to breath/have fun. Also, Babu Frik steals the show IMO as best new supporting cast.

That said, The Mandalorian finale last night was better than anything SW has done in the last decade. It has a great cast, supports and explores the lore while furthering it, and overall just has fuckING FUN. What a concept. Not a perfect show, since it suffers from the same mid-season fluff, but god damn if I wasn't actually dancing in my seat with anticipation for a season 2. THAT, is how to do SW right and I can't fucking wait.

bread's done
Back