Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

I'd love to get in on the beta, but I'm not sure I want to preorder the game. Unless I fall into a code, I think I'll just wait for it to come out. Game like this I'll usually wait for a week or two after release to see if it goes on sale.

Especially since Steam for the Mac comes out today, not sure how much time I'd want to dedicate to the SC2 beta. :D

[quote name='KhaosX']1v1 on beta sure is boring... that being said, anyone want to play 2s and try to climb the 2s ladder? Last i checked I was #1 plat in 2s with another friend a few days ago, probably knocked down by now.[/QUOTE]
I'm the opposite way. I feel way too vulnerable in 2v2s, but I love 1v1.

[quote name='The Crotch']Another glorious string of losses thanks to Bnet disconnecting/freezing on me. Beta!

1: The point of the Baneling bust is to open up the rest of the base for the regular army. Yes, better the depots than your entire worker line, but the point is, be careful what you wall with.
2: It's not so much that the buildings are vulnerable early on when the wall is saving you from a rush, it's that that supply depot hanging out at the lip of the ramp can be very easy to snipe with minimal risk to the aggressor later on.

Does he think there were no walls in SC1?[/QUOTE]
Yeah i understand, but i'd still rather have something to slow down a rush than just have them walk on in unhindered. I usually put one or two supply depots to wall off and then the rest back in base. I've noticed lots of people put all their depots in one area, i like to spread them out some.

He said something about being able to walk through them in SC1, i don't know what he means. Even after me walling every time we've played, i still don't think he gets what the point is.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Hate to say it but I'm kind of the same way. I guess RTS' never stick long with me. I never say no to a 2v2 with some of my friends though. Just not a fan of 1v1, too much pressure :lol:[/QUOTE]
This guy was in a SC1 clan, he was a big fan of the first, so it isn't RTS that he doesn't like.

Honestly i don't think he likes feeling one upped by someone who didn't really play the first game.

[quote name='KhaosX']1v1 on beta sure is boring... that being said, anyone want to play 2s and try to climb the 2s ladder? Last i checked I was #1 plat in 2s with another friend a few days ago, probably knocked down by now.[/QUOTE]
Aren't custom games unranked? How do you play ranked matches with a specific person?

[quote name='JolietJake']Aren't custom games unranked? How do you play ranked matches with a specific person?[/QUOTE]

Invite a friend to a party and you can 2v2 ranked.

[quote name='JolietJake']Aren't custom games unranked? How do you play ranked matches with a specific person?[/QUOTE]
You can't. Ranked Matches for 1v1 is always random - probably to avoid ladder boosting / cheating.

[quote name='JolietJake']He said something about being able to walk through them in SC1, i don't know what he means. Even after me walling every time we've played, i still don't think he gets what the point is.[/QUOTE]
In BW, depending on how the buildings were aligned, certain units could walk through but others could not. You could have a marine walk through two supply depots, but you couldn't have a zealot do it. The tightest wall was "ling tight," as lings were the smallest unit.

The size differences aren't as pronounced as they are in BW, as most units are 1 space large and all of them can walk through. The fatter ones like hellions can't.

Not that I'm arguing for either, just stating a fact. =)

What is the quickest way to getting something up for terran that can detect cloaked units? Got ambushed by some cloaked protoss units, didn't even think about it until it happened. Used my base scan, but i didn't have much energy and they just ran off and came back.

[quote name='JolietJake']What is the quickest way to getting something up for terran that can detect cloaked units? Got ambushed by some cloaked protoss units, didn't even think about it until it happened. Used my base scan, but i didn't have much energy and they just ran off and came back.[/QUOTE]

Engineering Bay -> Missile Turret

StarCraft II Beta -- Patch 12 (version 0.14.0.15343)
The latest patch notes can always be found on our StarCraft II Beta General Discussion forum.
Balance Changes

• PROTOSS
    • Forge
      • Build time increased from 35 to 45.
      • Life and shield values decreased from 550/550 to 400/400.
    • Mothership
      • Vortex now removes Force Fields within its area of effect.

• TERRAN
    • Thor
      • Radius decreased from 1.375 to 0.8125.
      • Model size reduced to match new radius.

• ZERG
    • Roach
      • Supply count increased from 1 to 2.
User Interface

• Several Hotkey changes have been made (German client only).
Bug Fixes

• Fixed a crash which sometimes occurred when quitting the program.
Finally.

.. Oh man.. I've been suffering with playing zerg the last few days because I'm trying for the achievements with 'beta' in the name -- as it seems like 'beta' specific achievements may carry over.

Anyway.. zerg feel really underpowered unless you just rush air, or are lucky and you fight a terran without marauder or a tos without stalker, so roach then work. this roach change is a HUGE nerf to zerg, who already feel real weak mid and late game. You have to have double the supply for the same number of roaches, so the number of their strongest 'core' unit just went way down.

Even before the change, If you had two zerg against a combination of tos and terran, unless those zerg are way better players OR they hit really early, the zerg are at a huge disadvantage. Roaches were one of the few aces in the hole that zerg had, now they're way more costly and one of their few pros is so much weaker.

Tanks/hellions/marines in a much smaller cost quantity blow away zerg units. zealot/stalker/sentry murder zerg ground also in an even mineral cost battle.

In a mid to late game battle, it seems no matter how many fully upped roaches, hydra, or zerglings i throw at the enemy they die in a macro to macro battle to less expensive terran or tos units. This happens more 2 on 2 more than 1 on 1, because I've learned never to let a 1v1 game where i'm zerg go long BECAUSE of the inherent late game weakness.

The only potential aces in the hole zerg have are Banelings; which cost spending 75/25 to kill MAYBE 100 minerals in cost of units on the average leaving you with no army also. going mass air is weaker because of the phoenix changes against a tos.. Zerg have no 'core' anymore. I don't get those changes at all..

Last edited by a moderator:
I really need to work on my economy i guess. It never fails that i'm way behind on building things. I'll have a good sized group of marines and marauders and the other guy will come at me with a good sized group of Thors or heavy air units.

I don't understand how they can build so fast.

wow the nerf to roach is ridiculous. After this reset I'm playing Protoss.

ZvT is nearly impossible now. Mech was already insanely powerful. Now they buff Thors (smaller size) so more can move around easily with the army. The hell are they thinking

[quote name='BattleChicken'].. Oh man.. I've been suffering with playing zerg the last few days because I'm trying for the achievements with 'beta' in the name -- as it seems like 'beta' specific achievements may carry over.
[/QUOTE]

Has there been anything even remotely official indicating that this may in fact happen? I'd hate to think they would, since they keep wiping achievements and such...it'd make some of the achievements pretty hard to actually get.

As far as the Zerg go...I play "random" a lot, and the zerg are the only race I'll regularly lose with. I just can't figure out a good strategy with them that isn't "get a lot more units than the other guy".

i still love the zerg. i still hate the protoss.
i love infestors, fungal growth is so fun. the food nerf is a little harsh because roaches felt wimpy already. on the other hand it just means i'll need more overlords, no big deal. i was just trying to figure out how to use burrow to attack tanks, which i feel is really sexy.

btw, tanks seem so much stronger. guess that splash radius change really helped.

and stop begging for keys, if you really want one just pre-order the damn game.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Has there been anything even remotely official indicating that this may in fact happen? I'd hate to think they would, since they keep wiping achievements and such...it'd make some of the achievements pretty hard to actually get.

As far as the Zerg go...I play "random" a lot, and the zerg are the only race I'll regularly lose with. I just can't figure out a good strategy with them that isn't "get a lot more units than the other guy".[/QUOTE]

Nothing official. I'm just thinking logically.

There are a handful of achievements with 'beta' in the name. 'I'm loving the beta', even after the wipe, seemed to stick for me. The rest went away, though. Those have "beta" specifically IN the name. getting those achievements in the final release wouldn't be possible. I figure since I'm going to play the beta heavily anyway, going for that achievement makes sense. I like playing as every race (even if I *AM* burned out on zerg right now), so I may as well go for it before I go back to random as my race selection again.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']wow the nerf to roach is ridiculous. After this reset I'm playing Protoss.

ZvT is nearly impossible now. Mech was already insanely powerful. Now they buff Thors (smaller size) so more can move around easily with the army. The hell are they thinking[/QUOTE]

It COULD be that they're thinking "when the OTHER changes to zerg go in, this will make sense".. that's the only logical thing i can think of. Really.. they just need to put lurker back in the game, and pull out that damn ultralisk. I think that would even the zerg out, considering they don't have a cloaked attacking unit like the other races do.

I just don't get it. 5 marauder and a few marines can demolish like a dozen roaches. Maybe they're trying to encourage a more diverse army.. but the density of the terran and protoss ranged units makes using lings a risky proposition sometimes.. roach get eaten by the terran and zerg core ranged units.. so they were already at a disadvantage BEFORE this change - zerg had to rely on the increased number of units to make up for the crappiness OF the units.

Unless they turn around and re-buff the roach to account for their increased cost, I'm baffled at the change. On the official forums, there are TONS of calls to adjust void rays, I haven't seen anyone bitch about roaches.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Unless they turn around and re-buff the roach to account for their increased cost, I'm baffled at the change. On the official forums, there are TONS of calls to adjust void rays, I haven't seen anyone bitch about roaches.[/QUOTE]
On AMERRRRRICAN forums.

We don't know about dem KORRREAN forums.

also, right now, the american server is pretty low skilled. platinum is still kinda garbage because mass gaming will get you there pretty fast.

i heard that even bronze on asia is tough stuff.

This should have been the roach nerf a long time ago. Way before the armor nerf, and way before the tier 3 regen nerf. Now with supply nerf ON TOP OF those other 2, roaches look darn near useless unless someone proves me wrong.

As for the forge nerf, this is really bad for the toss 2v2 game. I relied heavily on the speed of cannons to counter a double rush(zling, reaper). Now its going to be a bit difficult.

Edit: Maybe I'm overreacting about a 10 second change, but I have had games where those 10 seconds would have made or broke me...

I've really got to figure this game out. Either i'm really horrible or i'm getting matched up with people who are far better.

[quote name='Kyo']You can also use Raven's from Terran Starport as a spellcaster / detector.[/QUOTE]

EMP will also decloak units in the blast radius for a few seconds (including DTs), but it's extremely unwieldy.

So after a couple hours of tuning, I've discovered that post patch 12, my computer can no longer handle texture quality above medium(I use to be on ultra pre-patch). The game crashes any time i try to move from medium -> ultra or high. Everything other than texture quality is set to ultra though. I'm running an ATI 4850. Anyone else getting a similar problem? Looks like I'm stuck on medium for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kainzero']On AMERRRRRICAN forums.

We don't know about dem KORRREAN forums.[/QUOTE]

Google Chrome has a good auto-translate feature.. we could hunt down the link to their forums and see what they say.

That would require me doing it, though. Effort? After work? NO thank you.

Anyway! I'm going to play some games, if anyone is up for some 2v2 or something.

[quote name='KhaosX']So after a couple hours of tuning, I've discovered that post patch 12, my computer can no longer handle texture quality above medium(I use to be on ultra pre-patch). The game crashes any time i try to move from medium -> ultra or high. Everything other than texture quality is set to ultra though. I'm running an ATI 4850. Anyone else getting a similar problem? Looks like I'm stuck on medium for a while.[/QUOTE]
Oh shit I have the same card as you... Maybe I wont update for a while..

Void Rays are still absurdly overpowered. I love playing Protoss, but its such a pain since you dont wanna use Void Rays because theyre so OP, but if you dont then youll have shit for anti air.

Any word on when the Beta is going to end now that theres a solid release date for SC2:WOL? (Sounds so wierd saying theres a solid release date for a Blizzard game!).

No word on when itll end.

Odds are strongly that itll be late june/july though. On account of the game coming out in july and all.

It does seem that there is less stability, graphics wise.. I'm also using an ATI card. perhaps it is related.

It seems like games have a bit more stuttering or lag.

[quote name='dcm1602']Void Rays are still absurdly overpowered. I love playing Protoss, but its such a pain since you dont wanna use Void Rays because theyre so OP, but if you dont then youll have shit for anti air.[/QUOTE]
I'm hesitant to call anything overpowered or imbalanced (except Infestors, fuck those fuckers), but I know exactly how you feel.

[quote name='KhaosX']The only thing i deemed overpowered were roaches pre-nerf. You just couldn't stop those fuckers...[/QUOTE]

Roaches get crushed by air or when I played protoss immortals.

Never had a problem with them

According to the void ray design.. they're supposed to be counters to capital class air.

Currently, they demolish tiny things as well because of how they retain their charge when they shift targets. They're really strong against everything; They may be somewhat fragile.. but if voids get into your base and get charged up, 4-5 can take out way more stuff than they should be able to.

Dramatically shorter charge time (maybe even max charge) but no charge retention, maybe?

Problem with the anti-capital-ship role is that by the time they're charged up, odds are, the BCs or whatever they were focusing on has already either been brought down or won the fight.

[quote name='kainzero']On AMERRRRRICAN forums.

We don't know about dem KORRREAN forums.[/QUOTE]

if no skilled noobs are pwning with Void Rays I wonder what those Koreans can do with a Ray

[quote name='The Crotch']Dramatically shorter charge time (maybe even max charge) but no charge retention, maybe?

Problem with the anti-capital-ship role is that by the time they're charged up, odds are, the BCs or whatever they were focusing on has already either been brought down or won the fight.[/QUOTE]

I've proposed it on the forums.. and i still think it would be a good change:

I think Void Rays need to be modified in the following way:

1) change them from the current 2-stage attack back to the 3-stage one. max and min damage would be the same. If the math worked, the min to max charge TIME should be the same also.
2) When the void ray kills or changes targets, the void ray's charge level should drop by one.

The results of those changes would be reduced damage against swarms of small units - like marines and hydralisk - and equal effectiveness against the big units they're supposedly designed to counter.

Void rays should be situationally useful, not universally useful like they currently are. I'm not convinced that void rays should be the base rape that they currently are.. right now, if they're charged and have proper positioning, good luck taking out a small group of them.

"If you use your units right they don't die" may seem obvious.. but the range, paired with the type of damage reduce wasted damage with void rays. There are no units as efficient as a void ray - everything else does burst, and overkills by some number of points. Voids don't really have that going on because of how fast they fire. Voids only gain momentum, and become absurdly powerful against armored.

A well microed group of void rays will win against an equal cost group of possible GROUND void ray counters in most scenarios. I don't think that is the intent of the unit, and a tweak is certainly in order.

While they're at it.. they should revamp hydra so zerg has AA before T2.5

Vomit creep and spore crawler up, bitches.

Oh, what's that? You can't do that? Why, you worried tha-

Oh. Right. You can't because, according to the games Blizzard keeps arranging for me, nobody plays Zerg. I am really getting tired of Terran-with-a-dash-of-Protoss.

[quote name='BattleChicken']I've proposed it on the forums.. and i still think it would be a good change:

I think Void Rays need to be modified in the following way:

1) change them from the current 2-stage attack back to the 3-stage one. max and min damage would be the same. If the math worked, the min to max charge TIME should be the same also.
2) When the void ray kills or changes targets, the void ray's charge level should drop by one.

The results of those changes would be reduced damage against swarms of small units - like marines and hydralisk - and equal effectiveness against the big units they're supposedly designed to counter.

Void rays should be situationally useful, not universally useful like they currently are. I'm not convinced that void rays should be the base rape that they currently are.. right now, if they're charged and have proper positioning, good luck taking out a small group of them.

"If you use your units right they don't die" may seem obvious.. but the range, paired with the type of damage reduce wasted damage with void rays. There are no units as efficient as a void ray - everything else does burst, and overkills by some number of points. Voids don't really have that going on because of how fast they fire. Voids only gain momentum, and become absurdly powerful against armored.

A well microed group of void rays will win against an equal cost group of possible GROUND void ray counters in most scenarios. I don't think that is the intent of the unit, and a tweak is certainly in order.

While they're at it.. they should revamp hydra so zerg has AA before T2.5[/QUOTE]

Yup ive been playing some private matches vs a friend who is far better than me and I was using VR heavy strategies to see how well he can counter it.

The best counter to VRs that ive seen is mass hydras which actually does a mediocre job at shutting them down. Problem is once VRs get that first upgrade from the Beacon, they become absolute monsters and will completely obliterate anything. Before that upgrade theyre definitely somewhat counter-able with mass ground AA though.

Nothings that effective vs em though

bread's done
Back