Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

The game is great, IMO. I play SP so I don't know about MP (i did do the beta). The only times it has crashed on me is occasionally when I try to close it down, not during gameplay. If I don't choose "log out" first, it's ok. But if I try selecting "logout" and then "exit", it sometimes gets hung.

I'm running all video settings on ultimate with my pc and it's very smooth
Windows 7 Professional (fresh install)
i5 750, 4 GB Ram, OCZ Agility 2 60GB SSD, and GIGABYTE GV-R577SO-1GD Radeon HD 5770 on a Dell ST2310 at 1920x1080

Last edited by a moderator:
I can run single player on ultra fine, but multiplayer will get occasional lag, have to run mp on medium sometimes even lower which is weird and i doubt its my connection

The only time I have lag is when a mothership is like "I'll cloak your incredibly massive army!" This is of course present in the last protoss mission and oh my god that was some lag. This also can pour into multiplayer, but only happens when myself and an ally are whoring a mothership with very large armies. Which isn't going to happen in more competitive games.

Specs are: Radeon 4870, Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz, and 4GB DDR3 RAM
Running on: Highest (Ultra) on all in 1920x1200 resolution (Had vertical sync on at the time but it's now off)

[quote name='jkanownik']No one owes you anything. The sooner you realize this the happier you will be. This extends far beyond video games.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BattleChicken']I disagree. Comparing SC1 to SC2, without brood war in consideration, you get about the same number of missions. SC1 had 10 missions for each race, totaling 30 missions. SC2 has 29 missions. The SC2 missions, though, are way more intricate, engaging, and complex. I replayed all the SC1 missions not all that long ago, and I think I powered through them in something like 5 or 6 hours. I understand that SC2 takes 15-20 hours to complete.

Thats just talking about missions.. SC2 also has 9 challenge maps (i think it was), more in-depth tutorials, and a far more fleshed out game world. SC1 had the mission briefing screen and the missions - that was it. SC2 blows away SC1 in terms of scope.

The reality is that SC2 provides much more content than SC1, and If you account for inflation, SC2 cost about the same as SC1 did - $60 in 2010 has the same buying power as $44.83 in 1998.

If the expansions hold to the same level of polish and quality as Wings of Liberty, complaining about a $30 or $40 price tag is downright absurd.[/QUOTE]

After playing for a long time you're right. The game stands on its own. However to offer up three views in the 1st game and then only 1 in the sequel I think it's acceptable to feel like the experience was missing something.

I'm also not sure if the Protoss and the Zerg are going to be as easy to get behind story wise since the characters are harder to relate to. I think the Protoss are bad ass though, so I'll play that. The Zerg though? The only one that talks is the Queen of Blades. So you can't really expect to get to know the Zerg like you have the Terran.

Regardless of inflation, the standard for PC games is currently 50 bucks, and it's my God given right to bitch and I am going to do it! :bouncy:

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']After playing for a long time you're right. The game stands on its own. However to offer up three views in the 1st game and then only 1 in the sequel I think it's acceptable to feel like the experience was missing something.

I'm also not sure if the Protoss and the Zerg are going to be as easy to get behind story wise since the characters are harder to relate to. I think the Protoss are bad ass though, so I'll play that. The Zerg though? The only one that talks is the Queen of Blades. So you can't really expect to get to know the Zerg like you have the Terran.

Regardless of inflation, the standard for PC games is currently 50 bucks, and it's my God given right to bitch and I am going to do it! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

IF my memory is correct, the zerg game is going to play more like an RPG in a number of ways; Kerrigan is going to upgrade her own skills and abilities over the course of the zerg campaign. The Protoss campaign, I think, was going to be more about diplomacy - do X for faction Y, and you gain their support, but lose favor with faction Z.

I can see how you might be concerned about the cohesiveness of the other faction's campaigns, but i think they tailored them around the lore for the races.. so it should still be pretty solid once we get it.

edit: also, in SC/BW, Kerrigan talked to the other cerberates as well as the Terran and Protoss leaders. So there is still potential for character development and banter.

Been playing some multiplayer. People seem friendly, haven't had anyone swearing at me yet. I'm Bronze 1v1 and I only have played against 2 mediocre players so far, everyone else has been pretty good-very good. I tried a couple of 2v2s+ and wow.... it seems to match you up with some worthless players. I almost wonder if certan people who aren't any good at the game are intimidated by 1v1 and just play group games.

The one thing that keeps getting me killed is assuming the unit matchups are similar to SC1. I got destroyed by an army of hydralisks thinking, I'm going roll these guys. I've been destroyed by mutalisks multiple times, when in SC1 they were very weak to dragoons. Overall, it's hard for me to get used to how much stronger the zerg units are (or maybe protoss are weaker?).

I also have not really run across any rushers. I keep planning for a rush, but then there really isn't one. I am scouting, but I'm still paranoid that someone is going to early game rush me.

The cliff climbing units are cool as hell :)

Just finished around mission 12 and have to make a decision now.

Help the scientist lady and save the humans from the Protoss incinerator or help the Protoss and destroy the possibly infected humans.

Is there any consequence or change the ending of the game depending on which choice I make?

[quote name='TheRock88']Just finished around mission 12 and have to make a decision now.

Help the scientist lady and save the humans from the Protoss incinerator or help the Protoss and destroy the possibly infected humans.

Is there any consequence or change the ending of the game depending on which choice I make?[/QUOTE]

No, unfortunately not.

You can also go to the archives after choosing one to choose the other, which doesn't really give you anything other than the ability to play through the other mission without starting a fresh campaign again.

Crotch had already mentioned that someone should create a new thread when release date comes as he wouldn't be available.

With that in mind, my tag is KhaosX 613

Ultimate lolzzzz,

I've played about 15 matches as protoss and I finally googled "Chronoboost"

How did I miss this??? How did I actually beat people??

[quote name='wakawakawa']Ultimate lolzzzz,

I've played about 15 matches as protoss and I finally googled "Chronoboost"

How did I miss this??? How did I actually beat people??[/QUOTE]
I have a habit of forgetting about the new abilities in SC2, like I always forget to turn my Command Center into an Orbital one. I had some guy drop a nuke on my main base because I had no detectors. :cry:

So I've skipped the online play for now since I did a ton of that in the beta; almost completed the campaign on brutal. However, a few missions have really been driving me fucking crazy trying to complete them on brutal. Two of which I just gave up and did on normal and will go back to later and now this third one is killing me (I'm sure the last 3 missions I have after this will be more really hard ones).

The mission
Media Blitz, where you have to hold for a certain amount of time at each TV station and you do a surprise attack with Odin before. What am I supposed to do to survive this? I made it to two towers complete but just had my base destroyed by a ton of shit. I was making all banshees/wraiths with a few vikings to land to capture the control point as well as use banshee/BC mercs. Problem was, my base kept getting attacked everytime I was about to clear something and even then, my army would get pounded by the defending waves as I was capturing the station. Any pointers? Which of the three bases should I surprise attack to make it easier?

Well Got the game, First RTS since dune 2000. I am digging it so far, just done the tutorials and a few SP campaign missions.....got plans most of the weekend but can't wait to get back into it.... actually moderately relaxing gameplay compared to the twitch gaming I am used to with First and Third Shooters and Racing games...

[quote name='Morphx2']If you play missions in the archives that you didnt pick originally, do you still get the credits and technology from em?[/QUOTE]

nope

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Regardless of inflation, the standard for PC games is currently 50 bucks, and it's my God given right to bitch and I am going to do it! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Well, the average PC game costs a few million dollars to develop. The rumored Starcraft 2 cost is over $100 million. Just pretend you paid $50 for the first $10MM in development costs and then just $10 for the other $90MM. Now it seems like you're getting a steal.

[quote name='jkanownik']Well, the average PC game costs a few million dollars to develop. The rumored Starcraft 2 cost is over $100 million. Just pretend you paid $50 for the first $10MM in development costs and then just $10 for the other $90MM. Now it seems like you're getting a steal.[/QUOTE]
That $100 million figure was misinterpreted by the WSJ who retracted their original story. That was a figure quoted a few years back as being the total cost of WoW to ActiBlizz (development, hosting, CS, everything).

There's no way in hell SCII cost $100 million to develop.

Did anyone else get a $20 refund on the collector's edition from Amazon? I pre-ordered it just about as soon as it came up, as did my buddy, and we both for Pre-order Price Guarantee $20 refunds, because it went down to $79.99 at one point or another...?

No complaints here :)

Was wondering if anyone with video card knowledge could tell me if my computer could run this game with a GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 video card. Systemrequirementslab.com says I can't but on the more detailed list as to why, I pass everything on the list. If I really do need to upgrade my video card, can someone recommend me a video card similar to the one I currently have but better so it's a simple process of opening and switching the video cards?

This is what systemrequirementslab.com said about my video card:
Video Card Minimum: 128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better You Have: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
oie_red_arrow.gif
Upgrade Suggested: Unfortunately, your Video Card does not meet this requirement. Click here to see some recommendations. Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card Required You Have
green_checkmark_small.gif
Video RAM 128 MB 1.3 GB
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 2.0 3.0
Vertex Shader version 2.0 3.0

[quote name='nintendokid']How they hell do I download replays to watch like the original SC?! It's killing me. There is no "Replay" folder of any kind in the SC2 program folder.[/QUOTE]
There is a replay folder, it's in your Documents under the Starcraft II folder. Just keep drilling down and you'll find it eventually. I save mine in the "Unsaved" folder.

I haven't been here for, like, two and a half months. You folks are still using this damn thread? Holy donkey dicks.

Anyway, my season's over now. It was supposed to go to early August, but we put the last trees in the ground on the 27th. 'Nother four million of 'em in the ground for us. Go team.

Now, teeth still bloody from the single player campaign (overall a huge improvement on SC1, though not always the best written and I'm still pretty damn nostalgic for
Tassadar's
old voice), 'tis time to get my ass kicked online. Guess it's time to get the OP set up with Battle.net names and what-not, yeah? Post 'er if ya want it at the beginning of the thread then, alright?

@yukine

Thanks a bunch, man. This needs to be addressed. I don't know how someone would figure that a directory automatically is created in My Documents. That would be the last place I look for SC2 folders.

[quote name='Lexxon']Did anyone else get a $20 refund on the collector's edition from Amazon? I pre-ordered it just about as soon as it came up, as did my buddy, and we both for Pre-order Price Guarantee $20 refunds, because it went down to $79.99 at one point or another...?

No complaints here :)[/QUOTE]

Hmm I wonder what I missed with this? No refund so far and I ordered on April 8th which I thought was pretty near the date it was posted.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Yep, I got a $20 refund as well. Preordered day it came up on Amazon. Thought the CE was worth it at 100, definitely worth it at 80.[/QUOTE]
Worth every penny, but messaging Amazon about this.

*edit* refund on the way.

So I'm gonna join the *Wah Wah* train and say I wish there was LAN. Lagging while playing with the guy sitting right next to you in co-op AI is just frustrating.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Worth every penny, but messaging Amazon about this.

*edit* refund on the way.[/QUOTE]

What did you say to them? They messaged me back saying they have no record of a price drop.

[quote name='Demon Soul']So I'm gonna join the *Wah Wah* train and say I wish there was LAN. Lagging while playing with the guy sitting right next to you in co-op AI is just frustrating.[/QUOTE]

I'd have to agree with you there. That's why I haven't tried that scenario because I know it's going to be frustrating with lag since my internet is satellite broadband.

[quote name='Gara']What did you say to them? They messaged me back saying they have no record of a price drop.[/QUOTE]
I just mentioned that someone mentioned a brief price drop and other people automatically received their refund.

I got the You'ze So Crazy! Achievement last night...pretty exciting and fun stuff. I enjoy the achievements because they make me go back to levels and learn more about units and playing overall, and are just fun for me.

I got the Lost Viking achievements yesterday afternoon. I really don't want to ever do that again without some kind of turbo space bar that I can hold down for rapid fire.

Anyone have any advice on how to properly play the Zerg? I usually go "Random" to help learn the in and outs of each race faster, but for some reason I just cannot do well with them.

Also, note that Overlords aren't detectors, as they were in Starcraft. They need to be upgraded to overseers for that. That was a costly lesson.

[quote name='Guerrilla']I just mentioned that someone mentioned a brief price drop and other people automatically received their refund.[/QUOTE]

I tried them again and it went through this time. Thank ye

I've reviewed your order and see that the price change is significant from the time the item shipped.

Under the circumstances, I'll make a one-time exception for you and issue a refund for the price difference in the amount of $20.00. You should see the refund in the next 2-3 business days.
Man it was released about 4 days ago. I wonder when this price adjustment even was

Has anyone here changed these values for their game to avoid having Starcraft 2 melt your graphics card? I don't know if I should do it or not.

The fix is easy, requiring players to add the following lines to your "Documents\StarCraft II Beta\variables.txt" "Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt" file (nice catch, commenter LegolElf):

frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/arch...rd-confirms-starcraft-ii-overheating-bug.aspx
http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/788045-starcraft-2-overheating-issue.html
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/13501356

I guess I'm glad I haven't been able to play my copy yet. People are reporting that there temperatures for their cards double just from sitting at the menus for 5-10 minutes.

[quote name='J7.']I guess I'm glad I haven't been able to play my copy yet. People are reporting that there temperatures for their cards double just from sitting at the menus for 5-10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Heh, my cousin (a cop) had called me in the middle of his patrol the other day and he had apparently forgotten to close out the game completely. So he sat at the title screen for 3 hours before his patrol took him by his house so he could run in and turn it off.

Then I had saw articles about the overheating later that night.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']I added those lines to the file. I had no idea this was even an issue and I would play for several hours at a time.[/QUOTE]

It's only really an issue when you're in the menus before you enter campaign or a normal game.

[quote name='J7.']Has anyone here changed these values for their game to avoid having Starcraft 2 melt your graphics card? I don't know if I should do it or not.

The fix is easy, requiring players to add the following lines to your "Documents\StarCraft II Beta\variables.txt" "Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt" file (nice catch, commenter LegolElf):

frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/arch...rd-confirms-starcraft-ii-overheating-bug.aspx
http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/788045-starcraft-2-overheating-issue.html
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/13501356

I guess I'm glad I haven't been able to play my copy yet. People are reporting that there temperatures for their cards double just from sitting at the menus for 5-10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting the hotfix but it does not make a whole ton of sense. Unless you are overclocking your components by bypassing the temperature safeguards, the system should shut down before your start melting down. Yes, the screen are not screen capped, but there is nothing disable the multiple heat sensors in your box.

Lol, this game made my GPU start to make the dust burn a bit, haha. I smelt a small whiff of smoke and shut my PC off quickly.

I thought a patch fixed the problems with the lobby screens.. I know that it basically made your GPU paint that screen repeatedly; thus using it as hard or harder as in game.. but that problem is pretty old...

If they haven't fixed it yet, shame on Blizzard.. they had months since it was reported during the beta.

bread's done
Back