Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

Chicken, I'm in the same situation and have found it hard to continue to play SC2 as much as I like. It takes a few warm up games but when I do get a chance it seems to come back ok. I'm not super competitive with it though, I'm only gold. Sometimes I'll watch day9 while I'm busy helping the baby and that's kinda fun.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']^^ actually some BW maps have neutral "rocks" (actually neutral buildings or units) that function the same way as SC2 rocks

[/QUOTE]
true, but i don't think they ever put rocks/neutral buildings to prevent you from building on an expansion, although they did have a few to prevent you from getting to an expansion

whenever i think of grubby i think of that one time i went to watch WCG and witnessed one of the greatest comebacks ever in the history of WC3. also, it was my first time watching pro WC3 and i didn't plan on it at all.

Oh no, had another dream just now where some guy was doing 4gate on me and i tried to denied him using 3 stalker build. Somehow i had like 20 pylons in the middle of the map and he was trying to hide his proxy there. Then somehow it went into TvZ in BW all of a sudden. Yeah, wasn't that interesting -_-

A good teacher transfers the benefits of experience to their students, accelerating their improvement and attainment of skills and knowledge.

I'd offer to show you what I know but I haven't had the time to play a game like SC2 lately - my free time is on-call with BattleChicken Jr. so lately I've only been able to get in smaller bursts of single player, pauseable games and passive media (IE, Netflix).

By the end of my last playing stint I managed to get up to Diamond in all the leagues I played in, but I'm so rusty from not playing right now I would not be shocked if I wound up silver or gold in the current ladder.

Even so, My ID/number should still be on the first page of the thread if you want to add me. If I miraculously get a chance to play SC2 any time soon, I'd be happy to play some games with you and pass along what I know.

[quote name='BattleChicken']A good teacher transfers the benefits of experience to their students, accelerating their improvement and attainment of skills and knowledge.[/quote]
as far as teaching methods go

were it up to me...
-initially the student should explore the game on his/her own, get a feel for the game, understand the obstacles and the goals, etc, have fun with the game and make it feel like their own
-at that point, the teacher steps in and demonstrates how to improve, and how to get better, introducing various skills/tactics/techniques.
-the student performs focused practice on those skills/tactics/techniques in conjunction with actual games to implement those techniques in the course of "real life."
-rinse and repeat. eventually, the student will learn to perform self-evaluation, at which point the rate of learning accelerates dramatically, with the teacher only around to catch what the student cannot see themselves.

the problem with introducing a teacher early on when the student has no experience is a problem of motivation. the student only does what they are told. they don't experience the exploration, the struggle, they don't gain a sense that whatever hobby they're picking up is their own. if they are taught to at a very early stage, they feel as if they're only following instructions.

the other problem is a problem of entitlement; the student will believe that because they had a teacher, they believe they should do better without putting in the time getting experience. and when the results are bad, they are quick to blame the teacher when the student does not actually have enough experience grasping the basics and making them natural.

i'm sure this post is a lot wordier than you expected, it's just that i'm bored

I guess i missed the deal because every store that I tried in the "check elegibility" section says it's unable to ship the game to that store. I called bestbuy and they said it's because that store doesn't stock the game anymore and others in the area are eligible but i checked online too and it said uneligible. Should I just try and check out and ship it to the store?

[quote name='kainzero']as far as teaching methods go

were it up to me...
-initially the student should explore the game on his/her own, get a feel for the game, understand the obstacles and the goals, etc, have fun with the game and make it feel like their own
-at that point, the teacher steps in and demonstrates how to improve, and how to get better, introducing various skills/tactics/techniques.
-the student performs focused practice on those skills/tactics/techniques in conjunction with actual games to implement those techniques in the course of "real life."
-rinse and repeat. eventually, the student will learn to perform self-evaluation, at which point the rate of learning accelerates dramatically, with the teacher only around to catch what the student cannot see themselves.

the problem with introducing a teacher early on when the student has no experience is a problem of motivation. the student only does what they are told. they don't experience the exploration, the struggle, they don't gain a sense that whatever hobby they're picking up is their own. if they are taught to at a very early stage, they feel as if they're only following instructions.

the other problem is a problem of entitlement; the student will believe that because they had a teacher, they believe they should do better without putting in the time getting experience. and when the results are bad, they are quick to blame the teacher when the student does not actually have enough experience grasping the basics and making them natural.

[/QUOTE]

Great post sir. Exchange "student" with "parent" and "they" with "their child" in the last paragraph and I think you just confirmed the wrong thought process America has with the public school system.

Yea I deffenitly missed the deal, if i can't get one from a cag I think im gona buy the sc1 battle chest. Is it worth getting starcraft 1 or should i just skip it?

[quote name='jab1235']Yea I deffenitly missed the deal, if i can't get one from a cag I think im gona buy the sc1 battle chest. Is it worth getting starcraft 1 or should i just skip it?[/QUOTE]

Storyline - Yes.

Mods - Yes.

Online play - Maybe - But it will take you some time to get good.

in terms of online play, not a lot of serious people play on battle.net. iccup/korean private servers are where competition is at, and on their websites you can just download multiplayer-only versions that only connect to their respective servers. i'm not sure it's worth getting a legit version.

but if you're just getting the game, you will get utterly destroyed on the private servers for at least a few months. like 0-100.

I picked up the battle chest at walmart and relized that it isn't nativly supported on windows 7 (obviously -_-) you can run it if you jump through some hoops but im to lazy to deal with it. The guy i pm'ed about the collectors edition never replied. Should i just buy a collectors edition for 75 on amazon or wait to get a deal on the regular edition?

[quote name='j-cart']Great post sir. Exchange "student" with "parent" and "they" with "their child" in the last paragraph and I think you just confirmed the wrong thought process America has with the public school system.[/QUOTE]
how to learn parenting: play starcraft and street fighter

Anyone got interest in mechanical keyboards? Been doing a ton of reading on it and picked up a Filco Majestouch 2 ninja Cherry MX Brown keyboard.. certainly wasn't a CAG price, but hey I'll be using it for typing as well as silver league SC2 play lol. Just wanted to see if there was a discussion on it.

The more popular Razer BlackWidows are mech keyboards, but use a clicky cherry MX blue switch... anyway, enough nerd-dome. I've been a mouse enthusiast for the past couple years but the keyboard sector is quite interesting. If anyone else cares, geekhack is a great place to go reading up on it. Alright.. I'm out xD

[quote name='aznguyen316']Anyone got interest in mechanical keyboards? Been doing a ton of reading on it and picked up a Filco Majestouch 2 ninja Cherry MX Brown keyboard.. certainly wasn't a CAG price, but hey I'll be using it for typing as well as silver league SC2 play lol. Just wanted to see if there was a discussion on it.

The more popular Razer BlackWidows are mech keyboards, but use a clicky cherry MX blue switch... anyway, enough nerd-dome. I've been a mouse enthusiast for the past couple years but the keyboard sector is quite interesting. If anyone else cares, geekhack is a great place to go reading up on it. Alright.. I'm out xD[/QUOTE]

I got a blackwidow, because it wasn't too expensive and I had previously tested out the keys. I really like the way it feels. There is no going back.

^ oh yeah certainly I wasn't saying "but" in a bad way. I used my friends blackwidow and enjoyed the cherry blues. I just couldn't do with the blue's extra click sound in my living environment :)

I despritly need help. I started yesterday and I've been playing protoss. I've been trying to follow a build order but I've lost almost 30 games and won only 2. I just need someone to explain to me what im doing wrong.

[quote name='jab1235']I despritly need help. I started yesterday and I've been playing protoss. I've been trying to follow a build order but I've lost almost 30 games and won only 2. I just need someone to explain to me what im doing wrong.[/QUOTE]

add me and shoot me msg. iSLefty.265

[quote name='mramazing']add me and shoot me msg. iSLefty.265[/QUOTE]

Will do tomorrow had enough of being destroyed for one day haha, thanks!

[quote name='jab1235']I despritly need help. I started yesterday and I've been playing protoss. I've been trying to follow a build order but I've lost almost 30 games and won only 2. I just need someone to explain to me what im doing wrong.[/QUOTE]

At your level, (and mine) you're really playing against yourself. I suggest playing the AI and get YOUR timing, macro etc down solid. The basic mechanics. Do the first 6 minutes or 10minutes basically playing vs yourself and have AI there for whatever. Then you can play until you hold off the first push. Keep playing and learning things you're doing wrong then move onto ladder vs ppl because if you can't get over beating yourself on stupid mistakes don't expect to win a lot vs someone else either. Good luck!

[quote name='suko_32']It's like no one here plays this game anymore.[/QUOTE]
i stopped my incongruent behavior of "i'll play SC2 and despise it every moment and wish i played BW" into "i'll play BW"

hurrah!

I've mostly been playing Star Battle. I basically gave up playing against live opponents in the normal game, I just don't have the time to get good enough to enjoy playing.

[quote name='kainzero']i stopped my incongruent behavior of "i'll play SC2 and despise it every moment and wish i played BW" into "i'll play BW"

hurrah![/QUOTE]

the SC2BW set of maps actually aren't bad

i tried playing them, but i couldn't get a game.

so i played the computer on destination, but like the computer does in BW, it attempts to expand to the 0 minerals that block the 2nd ramp.

then while i was attacking, my computer overheated and shut off, i restarted and got bluescreens, and then i had to go into safe mode, turn off the networking card, log back in, and then reinstall the network drivers.

fun!

Yay Season 3.

I try so hard in gold and it makes me play plats and diamonds forever.

Placement match Season 3 I play dumb toss tryna use dts.

ezgg i'm in plat again. :)

[quote name='Brainberry']I need a Zerg Mentor[/QUOTE]

While I am not qualified to be a mentor in any shape, I can give a hint as to what I think a Zerg Mentor would tell you.

need more drones

[quote name='BackInBlack']Does anyone else still play?[/QUOTE]
I will resume playing when I get back to the city. As it stands, the internet connection I am using is far too poor to craft stars.

LIKE A BOSS.

img01401g.jpg

~HotShotX

[quote name='The Crotch']That your way of saying you're playing SC2 now?[/QUOTE]

Yeah :)

When all of the ppl can drinktih from the vine than too shall I come down and playith!

I decided to install SC2 on my computer again tonight - i reformatted to make my boot drive a SSD some time ago.

It's taking longer than I would expect.. It may not actually be patched before the end of the night.

However! I may be up for playing some after 10 pm central weekdays, if anyone still plays at all.

I played some games with Hotshot and a buddy of his the other night. We did OK, 2 wins 1 loss.

They were doing some pretty random/awesome stuff, though or I think we might have won all of the games. I think the game where it was 3 zergs who all went muta against Hotshot's ultralisks was unfortunate. The 2x mothership rush was pretty fun to partake in, though - I just made boring, normal units that game.

I picked up the campaign again, too.. since i kind of want to get that "complete everything on brutal" achievement. It appears that the game "lost" some of my completed missions when I reinstalled. I can't believe I have to go through the mission with the laser drill on Brutal again. I hated it the first time...!

Still in shitty internet land, so SC2 is still a no-go for me. A shame, as there's a new pro-protoss PTR out. Hellions and infestors are weaker, immortals and warp prisms are better (+1 range and 60 more shields, respectively.).

Also, haha, HotShot's still gold 1v1.

Who is still playing semi-regularly? I've seen KhaosX and Hotshot and that's about it. I'd love to play some games with anyone who's on it. Anyone new to the thread since before the hiatus, please feel free to add me. My handle is in post1 of the thread.

bread's done
Back