Starcraft II Beta Code free with pre-order at Amazon (ReleaseDate: 07/27/2010)

Japakneez

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I just received a code in my email for my amazon purchase. The main page does not mention it at all, so it may only be for those that already pre-ordered. I'll update the thread when we find out more.

http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1271943658&sr=8-2

It now officially applies for new and exisiting orders.
Get a Free Code to Participate in the "StarCraft II" Beta
Pre-order StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty and get a free code to participate in the StarCraft II beta. The code will be emailed to you within 5 business days after you place your order. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Offer valid on all existing orders. Limit of both one per household and one per customer. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Here's how (restrictions apply).
update: Game release date is now July 27, 2010 :D

Last edited by a moderator:
email...

[FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif]Dear Amazon.com Customer,

The Amazon Video Games team thanks you for your pre-order of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. Now it's time to get you your pre-order bonus code to participate in the Starcraft II beta.

Here is your bonus code: OMGHI2U

This code will give you access to the StarCraft II beta. This beta will be available through May 17th.

In order to participate in the beta test, you must have an active Battle.net account. If you don't have a Battle.net account, visit www.battle.net to create one.

How to Use Your Code:
Step 1: Log in to your Battle.net account. Under "Manage My Games" click "Add or Upgrade a Game". Enter your beta key in the "Enter Game Key" field and select "Add Game".
Step 2: Get the Installer - In your list of games, click the Manage Game button under the StarCraft II beta image to download the installer.
Step 3: Install the StarCraft II beta - Once you've downloaded the installer, run it and follow the directions to install the beta client on your machine. Note that your participation in the StarCraft II beta test is governed by a Beta Test Agreement that you are required to accept before you can install the beta client.
Step 4: Run the Game & Log in to Battle.net - After the game installs, the launcher interface should automatically appear on your screen. Log in with your Battle.net account and you'll be able to begin playing. You can launch the client at any time by clicking the desktop shortcut or by going to the Windows Start Menu.

Thank you for your continued support of Amazon.com/games.

~Amazon.com Video Games Editors

Also, each claim code is unique and can't be shared.
[/FONT]

[quote name='Muitabui']Just preordered earlier today let's see if I get
it[/QUOTE]

woah! How the heck did you get first post in my thread :bow:

You know what I like best? It says the beta is until May 17th, which means it's almost time for the REAL GAME!!

Nice. I got one of these as well (preordered back when it was $50). Let the flood gates open.
Let it begin. Let it begin!

I got my code in this morning! I was so excited I suddenly felt the chills and a slight cough kick in. Called in sick this morning! ;)

[quote name='CD6405']You know what I like best? It says the beta is until May 17th, which means it's almost time for the REAL GAME!![/QUOTE]

Maximum sadface. I wanted to freeload for as long as possible.

[quote name='Japakneez']I updated the first post. Check the amazon page. It now applies to both existing and new pre-orders.[/QUOTE]

very nice...time to get in on this :)

I know I'm in the minority, but after redeming my code only to find out theres no mac version for dl, WTF Blizzard.

[quote name='Dragon138']I know I'm in the minority, but after redeming my code only to find out theres no mac version for dl, WTF Blizzard.[/QUOTE]

The mac version is supposed to be out within the next week.

I preordered earlier today from amazon. Hopefully within the 5 days it takes for me to get my code, the mac version will be released.

i want to preorder but i don't see free release day delivery as an option. 1 day is still 1 day too late. do you guys know if it'll be offered?

It's a big release, so most likely it will. Plus you can always cancel days before if they don't offer it and you decide to go elsewhere.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']It's a big release, so most likely it will. Plus you can always cancel days before if they don't offer it and you decide to go elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

You sure you can still cancel this one? They are giving you a beta key so I think that means your locked in.

You can cancel all Amazon pre-orders. However when bonuses are involved where the person cancels after they have been sent out, you are charged $5 upon cancellation (or charge the amount of the 'credit' gained). I don't think I've ever seen them charge more than that, but I haven't done much cancelling with Amazon when bonuses are involved.

[quote name='Draekon']You can cancel all Amazon pre-orders. However when bonuses are involved where the person cancels after they have been sent out, you are charged $5 upon cancellation (or charge the amount of the 'credit' gained). I don't think I've ever seen them charge more than that, but I haven't done much cancelling with Amazon when bonuses are involved.[/QUOTE]

If I could only find a coupon that would work for the collectors edition i'd definitely do that.

Nope, it's not new. They've been doing it this way for a least a year and a half to two years now from the first time they charged me for it. If you didn't get charged, consider yourself lucky. It's possible some items don't do this I guess. And I know that they definitely do this on returned items as I've had a few too many "Oh shit, I forgot to cancel" times.

Then you can always get lucky in other ways. Like how I cancelled my Starcraft 2 pre-order half a year ago and I still recieved a beta key through Amazon email.

I ordered it the day the CE was announced, doesn't seem like I got the code in my e-mail. What was the title of the e-mail for those of you who got it?

[quote name='pco45']I ordered it the day the CE was announced, doesn't seem like I got the code in my e-mail. What was the title of the e-mail for those of you who got it?[/QUOTE]

Mine actually ended up in my spam folder for whatever reason (first time I've seen an Amazon email in there), but here's the header info:

to: ""
date: Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 3:02 AM
subject: Your Beta Access Code for Pre-ordering "StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty" at Amazon.com
mailed-by: email-bounces.amazonaws.com

just wondering if anyone got the beta code yet after they prordered when this promo has started? just seeing how long it really takes for them to send the beta key out. I just ordered it today and just wanna see an estimated time.

I'm almost curious to see how many people are disappointed after getting into the beta. I know I was. :(

[quote name='Draekon']Mine actually ended up in my spam folder for whatever reason (first time I've seen an Amazon email in there), but here's the header info:

to: ""
date: Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 3:02 AM
subject: Your Beta Access Code for Pre-ordering "StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty" at Amazon.com
mailed-by: email-bounces.amazonaws.com[/QUOTE]

Same with mine, ended up in the spam folder on Gmail.

Oh wow glad I checked my spam. I didnt get one from Amazon but I complained to Gamestop (twice) and they canceled my pre-order but still gave me a beta key.

[quote name='Masume']I'm almost curious to see how many people are disappointed after getting into the beta. I know I was. :([/QUOTE]

My fiancee (she hates Starcraft) and I are definitely not disappointed with the beta at all. I'm not disappointed because it's awesome and the fiancee isn't disappointed because of the massive woody it gave me. :mrgreen:

Also - Preordered when it first went live on Amazon on Friday the 9th. Recieved beta on Thursday the 22nd (I'm guessing this is when Amazon was given a set of codes).

^ lol placebo1

why are you disappointed masume? Were you expecting major changes? It's starcraft, plain and simple, plays very smoothly, looks great. Just a lot of stuff I gotta relearn.

[quote name='outphase']I am guessing the disappointment comes from a decade of unrealistic expectations[/QUOTE]

Or that after over a decade, the biggest change is using 3D to render objects, and not innovate.

[quote name='Draekon']Nope, it's not new. They've been doing it this way for a least a year and a half to two years now from the first time they charged me for it. If you didn't get charged, consider yourself lucky. It's possible some items don't do this I guess. And I know that they definitely do this on returned items as I've had a few too many "Oh shit, I forgot to cancel" times.

Then you can always get lucky in other ways. Like how I cancelled my Starcraft 2 pre-order half a year ago and I still recieved a beta key through Amazon email.[/QUOTE]

The returned item charge is just the cost of shipping. Technically speaking you can keep buying games with $20 credit like HALO reach and then returning them all and keep the credit. The risk is that you run the risk of being banned by Amazon for constant return of items.

That makes more sense to me because you're being shipped a physical item. In this instance (and in the all instances where I've had to cancel) you're dealing with a digital item sent by email. There's no cost to Amazon and no reason for them to charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='outphase']I am guessing the disappointment comes from a decade of unrealistic expectations[/QUOTE]

Blizzard played it safe. Its similar enough to SC1 with an HD upgrade. Of course people have expected more. Just like you said, its been 10 years! ;)

[quote name='Japakneez']Blizzard played it safe. Its similar enough to SC1 with an HD upgrade. Of course people have expected more. Just like you said, its been 10 years! ;)[/QUOTE]
The game is just familiar enough on the surface to get you into it, but there are tons of new units, new buildings and new strategies. Saying it's just an HD upgrade of SC1 is really selling it short.

[quote name='Gosford']The game is just familiar enough on the surface to get you into it, but there are tons of new units, new buildings and new strategies. Saying it's just an HD upgrade of SC1 is really selling it short.[/QUOTE]

It also took 10+ years for this game to come about. New units, buildings and strategies is not that much when you look at the greater whole.

I am not disappointed. For Starcraft II and Diablo III, all I want is a true update- not a reinvention. Though, for Starcraft II, I wish they adopted hero units from WarCraft. I loved them.

SC2 does have hero units, just not in multiplayer. I think Blizzard was very wise to treat the game modes as two distinct products. It gives them the ability to really let loose in singleplayer without destroying the balance required for competitive multiplayer.

bread's done
Back