Steam: Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 - $4.99! (Update: Multiplayer Added)

SmileyMcSmiles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Just released on Steam. Basically it's AvP Gold and the Millennium Expansion Pack updated to run on modern PC's (and includes 360 controller support). While not a "deal" per say, it's a great game at a dirt cheap price for AvP fans. It doesn't currently have multiplayer support, but it's been confirmed that Rebellion will add MP via a patch in the future for free.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/3730/

Update: Rebellion has released a patch to add the multiplayer component of the game. So if you haven't bought it already, now the value of this game has at least doubled.

In case some people are weary, here's what the game plays like. Sure the graphics are dated...but the game is still awesome with outstanding atmosphere. Something most games of today still fail at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIYfU-j-gf4

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so very tempted to bite on his right now. I can't find my Gold Edition discs anywhere and $5 is perfect. They were saying there were not any plans so far about putting it on Live which is what I MAY wait for...this game scared the hell out of me when it came out from it's amazing dark(literally) atmosphere.

It's really a classic game- a remember playing it late at night with my old PC. These memories kind of make me want to install it again and shoot some aliens :)

Stupid question of the day, but since I only have WIRELESS XB360 controllers, and to the best of my knowledge, they no longer make the wireless gaming receiver, could I bypass this by using a play and charge kit?

Thanks!

[quote name='grundy']Stupid question of the day, but since I only have WIRELESS XB360 controllers, and to the best of my knowledge, they no longer make the wireless gaming receiver, could I bypass this by using a play and charge kit?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

No, not at all. Better of getting a wired controller which is what I'm going to do since I've worn out both of my wireless ones playing Street Fighter HD Remix so much.

This game really is a testament to a time when making first person shooters was about making a fun experience and not just cashing in on as much graphics advancements as you can.

AVP was graphically supreme in its time though. Very fun game.

Ashamed I watched the whole 10 minute video lol.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Well, they aren't "versions" of each other; they're entirely different and separate games. If I could only have one or the other, I'd take the PC game (multiplayer!!), but the Jag version is a really terrific game, for that platform/era.[/QUOTE]

If anybody is into retro gaming like that that's Aliens related, they should also check out the Aliens TC Mod for the original Doom. The creator literally used monster closets so that the aliens appeared to be coming out of the walls at the player. Very atmospheric and great for its time.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Well, they aren't "versions" of each other; they're entirely different and separate games. If I could only have one or the other, I'd take the PC game (multiplayer!!), but the Jag version is a really terrific game, for that platform/era.[/QUOTE]

Must chime in, the jag version was one of the BEST console games of that era. many never got to see or play it as it was on a machine with no support, questionble claims and a company with no money and gasping for air. Nowdays, not many would be impressed but at the time there was NOTHING like it.

AvP on the Jag, the marine had a very slow turn rate which really added to the desperation. The vent crawls where scarry, the lack of ammo so making every shot count. The predator was simply bada$$, but was easy to kill if played poorly. The alien, with the egg resurrect was one of the best gameplay ideas had seen. Brutally powerfull but fragile.

They where made by the same company (avp jag and avp PC, but are totally different games).

The 1999 version (which is the one on sale, I believe) destroys pretty much any alien/predator game I have played.

The new game is releasing in about 3-4 weeks. Done by the same people, Rebellion, but published by Sega ... I guess they got the rights to AvP stuff from 20th Century Fox (it is releasing on PC, PS3 and XBox360). It looks the exact same, except with updated graphics (which is perfect).

I will probably hold out for the new one, I have too many games to play as is. But this game is definitely fun and cool for any Alien/Predator fans, and it most definitely worth 4.99. I am just curious how populated the multiplayer is ... if it isn't, it wouldn't be that great. The game is over 10 years old. The campaigns would be cool to play through I guess, but the best part was the multiplayer, IMO.

And how the hell would you play this game on a PS3/XBox? Lol, it would be funny to watch people trying to control aliens with the joysticks. It simply wouldn't work.

[quote name='MattVid']
And how the hell would you play this game on a PS3/XBox? Lol, it would be funny to watch people trying to control aliens with the joysticks. It simply wouldn't work.[/QUOTE]

Oh, come on. This is just speculation, but I believe movement would be accomplished witht he left analog stick while looking would be controlled by the right analog stick. The triggers would likely by assigned to attacks. It's crazy and unconventional, but I think it could happen.

bread's done
Back