Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lost Horizon looks interesting. Not sure if it's worth $10 though, since people say that the story is forgettable. $5 would be instabuy.

Why don't they just put all the Kings Bounty games at 75% off? I only want Crossworlds, but I won't pay $9 for it.

[quote name='baz8771']Theres a demo you can try out. I personally liked it, but I know that its not everybodys cup of tea. I would tell you its like mass effect but I would be lying. Its similar, but not exactly the same. Just try out the demo[/QUOTE]

Wish that was an option, home for Xmas on a netbook that can barely run Peggle!

[quote name='hal']Why on earth do they never discount Wolfenstein?? It's not exactly a new game and it's sat stubbornly at $39.99 for like a year!

heads up too: Rush is from the same studio behind the very underrated Toki Tori. Might be worth a look at $1.69[/QUOTE]

Activision published Wolfenstein. That should help you figure it out.

[quote name='aeris']What was steam thinking?

ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead $19.99, $15.99 if you own ARMA II

Steam should have looked at amazon, before setting those ridiculous prices...[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping that Steam will have the Combined Ops pack on sale before the end - I really want to have it on Steam, but Amazon is so cheap!

I really want to buy the Crysis Pack, but I cannot believe this game STILL has that fucking activation limit garbage.

At least Warhead has a deauthorization tool, but the original Crysis does not. So when you use your 5 for Crysis...that's it...no more. If you overclock your CPU, that's an activation used as well as it thinks it's a different CPU.

And I've read countless posts on how shitty EA's CSR's are in giving more activations. Whoever is responsible for these activation limits for games (especially on Steam) should be hung by their sack and lowered head-first into a pit of quicklime.

fuck it...still won't buy.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Interested in Crysis, and possibly SimCity 4. I purchased Cities XL for $5 a couple days ago, so I think I'll pass on SimCity.

$10 for the Crysis pack seems like a good deal. Can anyone give me a reason not to get it?[/QUOTE]

Well, theres the obvious question of whether your machine can run it.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']I really want to buy the Crysis Pack, but I cannot believe this game STILL has that fucking activation limit garbage.

At least Warhead has a deauthorization tool, but the original Crysis does not. So when you use your 5 for Crysis...that's it...no more. If you overclock your CPU, that's an activation used as well as it thinks it's a different CPU.

And I've read countless posts on how shitty EA's CSR's are in giving more activations. Whoever is responsible for these activation limits for games (especially on Steam) should be hung by their sack and lowered head-first into a pit of quick lime.

fuck it...still won't buy.[/QUOTE]

Ive never had a problem with it and I know I have installed/uninstalled more than 5 times and I OC'ed my CPU.....

I'd be interested in feedback on this one as well...

BTW- it's $5.00 right now on Amazon download.

[quote name='CGlade']Any feedback on Lost Horizon? I generally like adventure games....[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mike UFC']I think you're talking about Crysis Wars. Warhead has a single player campaign where you play as Sykes.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's what I'm thinking about. Both games have War and I don't play them often at all. Sorry bout that.

just picked up global agenda and crysis complete.

so far, i've spent $352.04 on steam since the christmas sale began. i can easily say i will be close to $600 after picking up a couple packages near the end. do you guys see anything wrong with this?

Dear Gods of Steam sales/deals,

I'm sure it's not the most popular game, I liked it, but, could you put Far Cry 2 on sale for, around $5 or less? I thought it would have been up by now, but no dice.

[quote name='frpilot']just picked up global agenda and crysis complete.

so far, i've spent $352.04 on steam since the christmas sale began. i can easily say i will be close to $600 after picking up a couple packages near the end. do you guys see anything wrong with this?[/QUOTE]

nope im up to 113 steam games and its awesome having so many options! :applause::applause:

Man I want KB Crossworlds, I'd pay $5 for it alone, the KB games are great.

Picked up Rush, was going to buy this at the end of the sale if it wasnt a daily deal, I liked the demo a lot.

Also picked up Simcity and Crysis pack, thinking about the Doom pack hmm.

For what its worth it looks like Global Agenda's devs put quite a bit of time into updating it. Also they are developing a new Tribes MMO

As for Section 8, its primarily an online game. It was fairly well reviewed/received and they are developing a sequel and it's in beta right now. I am in the beta for it on GFWL. I played the original a bit and its not really my cup of tea. I've heard good things about it and some refer to it as a "like-tribes" type game but I couldn't get into it. I imagine the community doesn't have long if it's not already abandoned with a sequel coming out shortly.

[quote name='Blackshear']Hmm.. I don't remember ever playing Doom 2 looking as pixelated as the steam copy I just downloaded... any suggestions?[/QUOTE]
Start eating more fish to improve your memory? The game is from like 92. LCD monitors also don't handle older games as well as CRTs did. They are too "crisp". It's a similar problem with SD content on HD displays. For that reason I bought a plasma over an LCD.

[quote name='CountChoculitis']Ive never had a problem with it and I know I have installed/uninstalled more than 5 times and I OC'ed my CPU.....[/QUOTE]

Really...

Many, many people differ in your experience. This is the Steam version that has the 5-limit DRM. The retail release of the original Crysis didn't. So you either must have the retail disc version, or you need to check your facts again.

Now that you have copies of the wads for the old Doom games, I would use something like jDoom for high res models, if how the game looks is an issue. The resource packs can be found here: http://forums.newdoom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

As for Global Agenda, I bought it for $35 when it came out and have put over 600 hours into the game. For $7.50 I can highly recommend it as a class-based third person shooter with RPG elements. It's not a full-fledged MMO, and there are some issues, but the dev team is relatively good about making changes and fixing bugs. The demo is not indicative of high level gameplay! The demo takes you through Sonoran Desert, which is a quest line that ends around level 18, and is the only quest line in the game (It was added because players wanted an open world zone). The main draw of the game is the instanced Mercenary PvP and the 4 man instanced PvE missions. If you try the demo, give those a shot so you know what you're getting into and aren't disappointed with your purchase later.

[quote name='iso135']I only own one, Braid. If that pack comes for $20 as has been speculated, would you recommend it?[/QUOTE]

Most definitely worth the $20. At this rate I'll be surprised if we see the Potato pack though.

[quote name='Blackshear']Hmm.. I don't remember ever playing Doom 2 looking as pixelated as the steam copy I just downloaded... any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Use the WAD file that you legally own now and run it in zDoom, GLDoom, or one of the many doom ports that make it all prettylike?

Edit -
Drats. Genocidal beat me to it.

Global Agenda reminded me a lot of TF2 when it came down to PvP. Its not really the same game but for whatever reason it reminded me of it.

If anyone picks up the Doom pack, if I remember correctly, there is a coop mod for Doom 3. I'm tempted to pick it up just because of the mod.

Two mods, Open Coop which I believe is the story game, and Last Man Standing, which I think is survival.

its been a long time...

http://www.google.com/search?q=Doom...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Thanks for your mini review of section 8, pROvIs. Wasn't super interested in the game anyways, so I think it is safe for me to steer clear.

I am considering Dirt 2 and Crysis Max. I didn't get dirt 2 in the last sale because I didn't have a controller. But, I ordered a wired 360 controller this morning. So, I am thinking of picking it up, any opinions?

Also, is Crysis Max worth it for 10 bucks just to play through the two campaigns? I'm not saying I wont play the multi, but I am saying that it is not super likely that I will play it a lot as I have so many games, and usually play multi on xbox because I am better with a controller than kb/m.

[quote name='mramazing']nope im up to 113 steam games and its awesome having so many options! :applause::applause:[/QUOTE]

i am up to 140+ games. $600 in 2 weeks on steam seems excessive to me but i can't stop. hopefully, after the christmas sale is over i will have gotten almost everything steam offers that i want and i will be able to pass most of the sales in 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='frpilot']so crisis has a 5 install limit? :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Yes. And unlike Warhead, it does not have a deauthorization tool. Meaning...5 and that"s it. It is the only reason I still refuse to buy after all this time. Utter stupidity on EA's part.

[quote name='CountChoculitis']Ive never had a problem with it and I know I have installed/uninstalled more than 5 times and I OC'ed my CPU.....[/QUOTE]

Same

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Retail or Steam version?

How do you explain just about everyone else having issues?[/QUOTE]

Steam.

I don't. Just know its been fine for me.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Yes. And unlike Warhead, it does not have a deauthorization tool. Meaning...5 and that"s it. It is the only reason I still refuse to buy after all this time. Utter stupidity on EA's part.[/QUOTE]

Yeah its stupid, but as they have been saying over on Neogaf, its 5 machine activations, and you can always call EA support to get it unlocked.

[quote name='iso135']
I am considering Dirt 2 and Crysis Max. I didn't get dirt 2 in the last sale because I didn't have a controller. But, I ordered a wired 360 controller this morning. So, I am thinking of picking it up, any opinions? [/QUOTE]
Yes, DiRT 2 is a fabulous off road racer and it's packed with content.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dirt-2

[quote name='oscargrouch']Yeah its stupid, but as they have been saying over on Neogaf, its 5 machine activations, and you can always call EA support to get it unlocked.[/QUOTE]

You should also read on NeoGaf, Steam, & EA forums the crap one has to go through to get 1-2 extra activations for a game that was fully payed for. I for one am not the begging type.

[quote name='mokmoof']Is it just mean, or does Crysis seem to be rather stubborn about staying pricey?[/QUOTE]

The $10 bundle seems reasonably priced to me.

[quote name='hal']Yes, DiRT 2 is a fabulous off road racer and it's packed with content.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dirt-2[/QUOTE]

Is Dirt 2 the kind of game where I need to be really good with e-braking, drifting, shifting, etc. right off the bat? I haven't played racing games in ages, and I don't want my ass kicked right away. I'm willing to get better, but this old gamer needs some ramping up time :)

Also, is there an easy mode so that my kids aren't whupped right away, too?

Sorry for these questions, but the demo is still downloading for me, otherwise I'd figure it all out for myself. :)

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Then your information pretty much has no valid substance.[/QUOTE]

Is it really so wrong for him to report on his own experiences?

[quote name='Eldredpe']Is it really so wrong for him to report on his own experiences?[/QUOTE]

Can we just move on? DRM is buyer beware as always.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Is Dirt 2 the kind of game where I need to be really good with e-braking, drifting, shifting, etc. right off the bat? I haven't played racing games in ages, and I don't want my ass kicked right away. I'm willing to get better, but this old gamer needs some ramping up time :)

Also, is there an easy mode so that my kids aren't whupped right away, too?

Sorry for these questions, but the demo is still downloading for me, otherwise I'd figure it all out for myself. :)[/QUOTE]

It is very forgiving. I think by 2nd game, I was drifting and all that. (not pretty, but I frap it and had my friends take a look to see how much fun I was having).

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Is Dirt 2 the kind of game where I need to be really good with e-braking, drifting, shifting, etc. right off the bat? I haven't played racing games in ages, and I don't want my ass kicked right away. I'm willing to get better, but this old gamer needs some ramping up time :)[/QUOTE]No, it's actually quite forgiving at the lower difficulty levels. I only found myself losing when I did really stupid stuff in my driving and there's a rewind function which can bail you out of your messes nicely. It's definitely more arcadey than sim, but not ridiculous.

I played it waaaaay more than the Xbox 360 version, but eventually hit a spot around level 20 when the limited number of tracks in certain cities (e.g. London has 1.3 tracks - one's a slight variant of the other - and driving them backwards doesn't equal a new one for me) started to bore me, but all race games eventually turn into grindfests. It's well worth $5. I've got a bunch of FRAPS replays of crashes I've been meaning to edit together.

If you've got a later PC with DX11 video cards (i.e. GTX 4xx/5xx), then it adds some very nice eye candy. I get an average of 100+ fps at 1920 rez on my box and it's slick. Beware of cranking up the AA past 8X though; there's a known bug which wipes out the video and required me to find and trash the config file to restart. Also, there was a weird slowdown in the Los Angeles tracks when inside the stadium. It hitches and hangs and makes driving very difficult until you exit and it returns to being as slick as a 15-year-old girl at a Twilight movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back