Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought Shatter today because I love breakout style games and it looks cool and the price is right. Glad they changed the deals fast because I had Kane and Lynch, Brothers in Arms and Ghost Sniper in my cart but the prices changed when I went to purchase and I didn't really want any of them that bad.

I liked Shatter. It's got a nice, clean look to it that doesn't intentionally screw up your view like so many other similar games. The push and pull mechanic ("suck and blow" in the game's instructions - har har :p) actually works well once you get used to it and is crucial (if not necessary) for defeating the clever boss levels. (ProTip: you can use it on danger blocks floating toward you). There's even a super blast power you can fill up by collecting the little shards that fly from broken blocks. It's a nice price for the game in my opinion.

I've played nearly every other Breakout/Arkanoid clone out there and I found this game refreshing. I made it almost to the end and had a good time. I lean more toward the Magic Ball 2 and Hyperballoid casual games of this type but Shatter is still a good balance of challenge and fair.

Edit: In for Oblivion :) Yuss! Finally the stars have aligned for me; good gaming system and great price for the game :D:D:D

[quote name='johnny konami']How is Shatter? I heard some of the music and it sounds really good but I'm not a big fan of breakout style games (but I'm open minded.)[/QUOTE]

I enjoy Shatter, but then I also like Breakout. Shatter actually feels a lot like the result of Breakout and Pong having a child that is superior in almost every way. I find it very fun to play for short bursts as I go through the "story" mode (there really isn't much story to it).

I like how you can have some control over the physics by either pushing or pulling the ball and other objects with the paddle. The fact that you can launch up to 3 extra balls onto the field as long as you have enough lives allows you to make even the starter levels more interesting to play through.

The boss battles are the most interesting aspect of the game to me since I've never played a game like this before that had bosses in them, and each boss is a little more complex to take down than the last one.

There's also Endless and Time Attack modes. I just unlocked the latter last night, so I haven't tried it, but it sounds pretty self explanatory. Endless is also pretty self explanatory, but if it helps here's a quick description of it :). You try to see how high of a score you can get as the objects start on the right side of the screen and slowly come to the left. You have to either get enough energy to power your shield to repel them, get rid of them with the ball, or max your energy and unleash the gun fire from the paddle onto them.

While I haven't played many hours on Shatter, I like it for it's simple pick up and play arcade game style, and how going back and re-doing a world for a higher score is fun.

How bad is the DRM for the GTA IV pack? I don't mind having to be online to play, but limited installs is an automatic no-buy for me.

Edit: is the deluxe edition of Oblivion GOTY worth the $2.50?

[quote name='EliotAndrews']For GTAIV, the SecuROM warnings state that there are "Unlimited Machine Activations." However, Episodes is limited to 15 Activations.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Twoje']How bad is the DRM for the GTA IV pack? I don't mind having to be online to play, but limited installs is am automatic no-buy for me.[/QUOTE]
Hahaha, nice timing. Yeah, Episodes is the one with limited installs. 15's better than most, but it's still limiting.

Sadly, there's no discount on the two individual GTAIV items.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']I'll bet this is one of those moments. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo7HA7Y89XI[/QUOTE]I didn't scream at that, but it jolted me. While this wasn't a scary moment, the last second of FEAR redeemed all the repetitive warehouse and office levels in the middle of the game. (Video hidden under spoiler in case someone hasn't played it yet.)

I've told people that it was the best last second of a game ever; even better than the "refuse to join G-man" ending off Half-Life.

Another scary moment for me was in Silent Hill 2 on Xbox when you get the radio that detects when monsters are near by given off static. After they get you dependent on it, they had one jump out at you a fraction of a second BEFORE the static. Nice. Stopped playing that, too.

Finally bit on PvZ with four minutes to spare. Was on the fence, but I figured that since Pop Cap had given away Bejeweled 2 and I got it for my Mac and PC and I never paid for Peggle *cough* I should toss them a few bucks for the entertainment they've provided.

=======

Today's deals: The GTA IV Complete for $10 is great, but I've already got the base game on X360 and Steam and a friend game me his Tales From Liberty City disc (already had L&tD on DL), so I'm passing unless they have TfLC for $2.50 alone.

I'm a sucker for strategy games, so in for Europa Universalis III and Grand Ages (not Imperium Romanum, which is the earlier, inferior version)

Have base version oblivion and GTA IV on console, without any expansions/dlc. Guess I am not going to bother purchasing either. Everything else seems too pricey except for the right column, which I'm not super interested in.

Although, I am downloading all three strategy demos to give them a shot, and checking to see if I can find a Shatter demo.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Another scary moment for me was in Silent Hill 2 on Xbox when you get the radio that detects when monsters are near by given off static. After they get you dependent on it, they had one jump out at you a fraction of a second BEFORE the static. Nice. Stopped playing that, too.[/QUOTE]
I would like to recommend that you finish Silent Hill 2, as it's one of the most well-crafted games I've played in the last 10 years. Sure, it occasionally (Very occasionally.) uses shock scares instead of relying completely on atmosphere, but the story is superb and the graphics hold up well despite originally being a PS2 game.

Man, for a Steam thread, I'm recommending a lot of PS2 games.

Nothing for me today. Pretty interested in Singularity, Transformers and Need for Speed... but those sales aren't sale enough to get me to open my wallet.

Oh well. At this point I'm happy to not feel compelled to have to jump on must-buy deals. :)

Thanks for the Shatter impressions! I think I'm gonna go for it. Like I was just saying to a friend, on Steam a $2.50 deal is amazing for most of the year. Over the course of the holiday sales, though, I found my cheapness adapt. :p All of the sudden it's a life or death decision! I guess I finally found the true meaning of being a cheapass.

[quote name='johnny konami']Thanks for the Shatter impressions! I think I'm gonna go for it. Like I was just saying to a friend, on Steam a $2.50 deal is amazing for most of the year. Over the course of the holiday sales, though, I found my cheapness adapt. :p All of the sudden it's a life or death decision! I guess I finally found the true meaning of being a cheapass.[/QUOTE]
Besides that "Life or Death" part, it seems you understand the joys of being a CAG. Good job.

Remember: Every cent saved can go towards a different game.

[quote name='amdi8']I'm a sucker for strategy games, so in for Europa Universalis III and Grand Ages (not Imperium Romanum, which is the earlier, inferior version)[/QUOTE]

You may want to hold off on EU3 as the third expansion hasn't been released on Steam yet. (It will be soon & is already on GGate.)

[quote name='dabamus']Bought my first game from the Steam sale today. Sniper: Ghost Warrior.

I'm glad I held off when it was 50% off. :)[/QUOTE]

your first game and you have to pick a bad game :cry:

Sniper Ghost Warrior has very bland gameplay and ridiculously cheap AI (I got tricked into buying it after seeing the awesome looking trailers). The game itself is nothing like it

Don't want to rain on anyone's Oblivion parade, but that's a pretty ordinary price for a 'daily special'. The GOTY Deluxe version was on sale for only $8.50 back in June, and the regular GOTY edition was even cheaper.

Came across a pretty good little deal it looks like while I was shifting through the Steam store.

I wanted to check out a game called Darkstar One as I like space games.

Well there is a pack of 3 games for $2.49

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2327/

While I have no idea how any of them are, it is cheaper to buy the pack then seperatly and Patrician 3 looks ok as well.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Read the Steam forums and found people complaining a lot about BiA. Then watched a video review of the latest one, heard about horrible AI. Some people said they couldn't even get the first two to work in Windows Vista or 7, to say nothing of x64 that I run. Nah, don't want the headache.

PvZ is awesome, but I bought for a $1 for my iPod Touch and beat it. See no reason to buy it again for my PC.

I'm going to try The Ball demo. I own Dead Space on disc. Eventually, I expect EA to make this one's key so it will work on EA DM. If not, I suspect it'll drop lower in a future sale, but by then I'll no doubt have played it from the disc. ;)

I watched a video about Greed and wow, that looked boring. Like watching paint dry.

So I went with the tried and true Amnesia. Got it for $4.80 because I activated my Steam version of the Indie Pack 1 after it was included with my Indie Pack 2 donation. The Indie Pack is like the gift that keeps on giving. Probably the best deal I've gotten this season.[/QUOTE]

you are misinformed greatly. My Win 7 x64 ran the three BIA just fine. The Steam version works flawlessly without any fix (the retail version has problem though)

Oblivion GOTY Deluxe has been $8.50 twice in the last year. My advice would be to wait for this price again if you aren't in any rush to play it.

[quote name='Wargamer']Anyone care recommend a low spec turn based strategy or turn based rpg?[/QUOTE]

I haven't played much of either but I think most people would highly recommend Disciples II and Jagged Alliance if you want a quality turn-based strategy game. Both are 2D and thus easy to run on most everything, although I've heard Disciples can be slow in some cases on lower hardware.'

Both are available on Steam, as well as gog.com.

[quote name='Wargamer']Anyone care recommend a low spec turn based strategy or turn based rpg?[/QUOTE]

If we're talking extremely low-spec (relative to today's hardware) you can pick up Civ 3 complete for under $3.50.

[quote name='Pollox']Oblivion GOTY Deluxe has been $8.50 twice in the last year. My advice would be to wait for this price again if you aren't in any rush to play it.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it's fairly pervasive throughout this sale. Their thinking is probably that people have more disposable income immediately before and after Christmas than they do at the end of June when they ran (and hopefully will again) the Summer sale. So, on the margins, you can get away with discounting stuff a little bit less.

Depends on what exactly "low spec" means, but I've run Civilization IV on an Athlon XP with 1GB of ram and integrated video, and never had any problems. It's also 75% off right now on Steam.

OK, something is weird with GTA IV. Here's what I posted (no replies so far) over on the Steam GTA forums:

I bought GTA IV last year during a Steam sale. Today, I see the sale for the Complete Edition and even though I have the expansion on Xbox, I looked to see if there was a deal for just the episodes and it says, "You already own Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition" and offers to go play.

I fire it up and select the EFLC option and TBoGT and it opens a GFWL page to charge me 800 pts. to buy it. The Steam overlay was showing a code which I think is for online MP, but doesn't specify what it is. I tried entering it under Redeem Code, but it said it was invalid.

Anyone have any idea what this is about?

So I beat 90% of Oblivion on the 360 before putting it down, never to pick it back up since (lame, I know). With that being said, I enjoyed it tremendously, the end did get a bit repetitive, but didn't lower my opinion of the overall game.

Since then, I built a pretty good gaming rig, and I know the mod community for Oblivion is awesome. So do you all think that $10 justifies Shivering Isles/Knights of the Nine, as well as the mod community? My backlog is huge, and I'm tempted to just wait for it to drop lower since I won't get to it for at least 6 months. But it's almost low enough for me to impulse buy it.

[quote name='DirkBelig']OK, something is weird with GTA IV. Here's what I posted (no replies so far) over on the Steam GTA forums:

I bought GTA IV last year during a Steam sale. Today, I see the sale for the Complete Edition and even though I have the expansion on Xbox, I looked to see if there was a deal for just the episodes and it says, "You already own Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition" and offers to go play.

I fire it up and select the EFLC option and TBoGT and it opens a GFWL page to charge me 800 pts. to buy it. The Steam overlay was showing a code which I think is for online MP, but doesn't specify what it is. I tried entering it under Redeem Code, but it said it was invalid.

Anyone have any idea what this is about?[/QUOTE]
If I was in your shoes then I would buy the pack as a gift and email it to yourself. Then contact Valve and have them fix w/e the heck is wrong.

[quote name='blitztwn36']So I beat 90% of Oblivion on the 360 before putting it down, never to pick it back up since (lame, I know). With that being said, I enjoyed it tremendously, the end did get a bit repetitive, but didn't lower my opinion of the overall game.

Since then, I built a pretty good gaming rig, and I know the mod community for Oblivion is awesome. So do you all think that $10 justifies Shivering Isles/Knights of the Nine, as well as the mod community? My backlog is huge, and I'm tempted to just wait for it to drop lower since I won't get to it for at least 6 months. But it's almost low enough for me to impulse buy it.[/QUOTE]
Dude do not buy it. As many people pointed out, there will probably be a better deal and like you I have a backlog that will prevent me from playing for another 6-8 months. Steam will probably have a huge sale over Summer so if you can, just wait.

For low spec turn based games, i personally have a lot of love for Heroes 3 (on GOG as pointed out). Far more though, I can't recommend this enough:

[quote name='cheapo72']
X-COM series[/QUOTE]
This game has spawned some of the most horrifying moments I've ever experienced in gaming. Sending your team to deal with a Terror mission at nighttime is the stuff of nightmares. D:

Nothing really for me today. I've been picking up the Indie Deal of the Day pretty regularly but I'm even on the fence about that one.

So I'll take the opportunity to again pimp one of the cheapest sale games on Steam - an indie number puzzler called Everyday Genius: SquareLogic ($1.50) It's great fun and I never even considered myself a fan of such puzzles.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/32150/

x-com collection is $1.50 after coupon on direct2drive
if you can run civ4, you can run elven legacy, the collection is $7.50 on steam

Is Super Meat Boy worth $7.50? I missed the sale and now I reallllly want it. Do you think I should buy it now or wait for it to go on sale again?

Nothing for me today. I wanted GTA 4 and Oblivion on the PC, but the price isnt right considering I already own GTA4, EFLC, and Oblivion GOTY on the console. The GTA 4 package is a terrific price though for anyone that has a good computer and hasn't played it yet.

Alright peeps. Forgive the ignorance, but are there any downsides to buying GTA4 complete on Steam over 360 or PS3? I've got a 360 gamepad for the compy, so I'm not worried about control schemes. In addition the computer is a bit of a beast (Quad core 3.0 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, 1 GB HD4670) so i'm not too worried about performance issues.

I guess my big question is, is it at all buggy / better to get on a console?
( PC ports are buggy as hell and questionable in quality)

[quote name='gbpackers94']Is Super Meat Boy worth $7.50? I missed the sale and now I reallllly want it. Do you think I should buy it now or wait for it to go on sale again?[/QUOTE]

it's supposed to be part of a huge indie pack that'll probably be $25-$30. But yeah it's worth $7.50, it's an awesome game.

Indie Potato Pack: AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Audiosurf, Bit.Trip Beat, Braid, Cogs, Defense Grid, Killing Floor, Red Orchestra, Super Meat Boy, The Ball, The Wonderful End of the world, Toki Tori

[quote name='gbpackers94']Is Super Meat Boy worth $7.50? I missed the sale and now I reallllly want it. Do you think I should buy it now or wait for it to go on sale again?[/QUOTE]

I've never played it but I would wait until the last day of the sale to decide. Maybe it will go on daily deal again for the final day (prolly not) and there is still a *chance* the Indie Potato Pack will come out which has that and other games.

GO PACKERS!

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']If I was in your shoes then I would buy the pack as a gift and email it to yourself. Then contact Valve and have them fix w/e the heck is wrong.[/QUOTE]Why should I do that? The thing is that I've got the episodes on disc for Xbox, so this isn't a major deal. I bought vanilla GTA IV and that's what I've got, so it's not like I'm being denied anything I paid for. It's just weird that they say I've got the Complete Edition in my account when I don't.

The reason I wondered if I had gotten some sort of free upgrade is that when I tied my key for my original, bought on launch day in 1998, CD(!) copy of Half-Life to my Steam account, it unlocked the Half-Life Platinum Pack with all of the expansions (TFC, OpFor, BS) and deathmatch, etc. Sure, I'd already bought all those back in the day, but it was nice to not have to look for CDs in the unlikely event I ever wanted to replay them.

[quote name='u.v.bunny']Don't want to rain on anyone's Oblivion parade, but that's a pretty ordinary price for a 'daily special'. The GOTY Deluxe version was on sale for only $8.50 back in June, and the regular GOTY edition was even cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, sir. Was about to ask whether anyone knew if this was the cheapest Oblivion has been. That's all I needed to know to hold off on pulling the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back