Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MDeezyFTW']I love steam :) You can always count on them to have great sales.[/QUOTE]

Most people are pretty disappointed in Steam's sales this year though. Last year I remember them being a lot better. So far I bought one of the indie packs.

I'm sure the christmas sale will be better though.

[quote name='happysnork']So what is the cheapest you guys have seen DOW2 gold for? Debating that one currently...[/QUOTE]

It is $15 new for the retail copy at Gamestop. I figured that the gold edition will probably hit $10 at the next major steam sale, but Chaos Rising for $5 in a group pack seems good enough for now.

Just DoW2: Chaos Rising for me today. Possibly Machinarium and The Indie Clever pack. Only problem with those indie games is I buy them because they are so cheap and they get great reviews/buzz. And then I hardly ever play them. MAYBE an hour. Not sure it's worth spending $5 on games I'll never play. Even if the deal is spectacular.

machinarium_review01.jpg

I highly enjoy Machinarium. It's a wonderful adventure title. The art style is incredibly charming, and it tells an interesting, unique story with absolutely no dialogue or text. The game's world is just really detailed and special. It has a built-in hint system that can help you out with the puzzles, which are occasionally pretty tough. All adventure fans should pick it up at that price.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Just DoW2: Chaos Rising for me today. Possibly Machinarium and The Indie Clever pack. Only problem with those indie games is I buy them because they are so cheap and they get great reviews/buzz. And then I hardly ever play them. MAYBE an hour. Not sure it's worth spending $5 on games I'll never play. Even if the deal is spectacular.[/QUOTE]

Thats why I'm resisting the urge to buy Machination and the Indie pack lol

Definitely in for the Chaos Rising or Total War packs if anyone is taking the lead on those :)

[quote name='SelmaBlair']Most people are pretty disappointed in Steam's sales this year though. Last year I remember them being a lot better. So far I bought one of the indie packs.

I'm sure the christmas sale will be better though.[/QUOTE]

This thanksgiving sale isn't as good as last year's so far, but the summer sale was out of control. That was the best sale I remember.

Noobish question but...

What happens if you buy a pack of games and you already own one of the games in the pack? Can you gift your extra copy?

[quote name='ddog510']Noobish question but...

What happens if you buy a pack of games and you already own one of the games in the pack? Can you gift your extra copy?[/QUOTE]

You mean like the Indie Thinking Pack? No, you don't get to gift the extra game. For instance, I already owned World of Goo, but when I bought the pack today, I didn't get to gift World of Goo to anybody. Alas. Still a great deal though.

[quote name='ddog510']Noobish question but...

What happens if you buy a pack of games and you already own one of the games in the pack? Can you gift your extra copy?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='eastx']You mean like the Indie Thinking Pack? No, you don't get to gift the extra game. For instance, I already owned World of Goo, but when I bought the pack today, I didn't get to gift World of Goo to anybody. Alas. Still a great deal though.[/QUOTE]
To add to ^, they actually tell you at checkout that you already own certain titles and will not receive an additional copy.

Well, I made my first Steam purchases with this sale.

In for Torchlight, Tropico 3 pack and DoW2 pack.

Played some Torchlight, pretty fun Diablo clone.

As I forgot the sales were going on starting on Wednesday, I missed out on a couple I would have liked, the Deus Ex pack and Sam & Max. I'm sure I'll run into those another time.

[quote name='shrike4242']Well, I made my first Steam purchases with this sale.

As I forgot the sales were going on starting on Wednesday, I missed out on a couple I would have liked, the Deus Ex pack and Sam & Max. I'm sure I'll run into those another time.[/QUOTE]

How could you forget about the Steam Holiday Sales?? That is like forgetting there is a Santa Claus...

[quote name='shrike4242']Well, I made my first Steam purchases with this sale.

As I forgot the sales were going on starting on Wednesday, I missed out on a couple I would have liked, the Deus Ex pack and Sam & Max. I'm sure I'll run into those another time.[/QUOTE]

The sickness has taken hold.

For everyone on the fence about machinarium - BUY IT. So very, very, very good. Extremely well made/designed, and I can almost guarantee that how ever little time you have to play games, you have enough time to play this one. It'll probably take you ~4ish hours to get through, if I remember correctly, but you won't regret a single minute of it.

[quote name='xTraPointLess']Question: if I buy the DoW 2 Gold, can I just use the Chaos Rising portion (since I own the original) and gift the the main game to someone else?[/QUOTE]

Usually you can't do that, but I think they said you can with Dawn of War 2. Hopefully someone else can confirm.

I've really enjoyed the Indie Packs, you really can't beat 5 games for $5, and it breaks up the regular gaming routines of FPS, RTS, and RPGs. I also participated in my first group buy for DOW: CR and it went flawlessly.

Can't wait to see what else comes up over the next few days.

For anyone that purchased Tropico 3: Is there any way to change the buttons for looking around? It's set to the arrow keys, and I would like to change it to WSAD, but I don't see an option for it in the hotkey menu.

[quote name='bwrobins']How could you forget about the Steam Holiday Sales?? That is like forgetting there is a Santa Claus...[/QUOTE]Mainly because I didn't have a gaming-worthy PC up until the beginning of this year, and I've had other things keeping me busy.

[quote name='doodofdoods']The sickness has taken hold.[/QUOTE]Probably. We'll see what tomorrow's sale brings.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I'm almost positive that Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box was 7.50 during the Summer sale, or some random weekend deal earlier in the year. Or was it EA that did that price? Someone had it cheaper. Everyone should buy Machinarium for $5, it's worth much more and is a great game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got it in the summer sale for $7.49.

[quote name='wafflepacman']For anyone that purchased Tropico 3: Is there any way to change the buttons for looking around? It's set to the arrow keys, and I would like to change it to WSAD, but I don't see an option for it in the hotkey menu.[/QUOTE]

Still haven't been able to find a solution for this. Anyone have any tips?

I think I'm going a little overboard with the indie game sales.
Grabbed the Indie Story Pack, Indie Clever Pack, and Machinarium so far. Recettear alone was easily worth the $4.99 yesterday. Unfortunately, I already owned And Yet It Moves, but it's great game as well. I wish I could've remembered to recommend them earlier >.

This game share crap is really annoying. Are all the steam threads like this? These indie game packs have a lot of games that people don't know about, and are gonna want to discuss. Let them do so!

Seriously, the info about using the group buy thread is in the title. You can't get in here without reading it...

I bought the indie packs from yesterday and today, Defense Grid, and DoWII Chaos Rising. I got so many new games in such a little time, I only now realized that I didn't receive my copy of Doc Clock from the Clever Pack purchase. I sent off an email to Steam Support, but has anyone else gotten their copy of Doc Clock w/ their Indie Clever Pack purchase?

[quote name='djfp']I bought the indie packs from yesterday and today, Defense Grid, and DoWII Chaos Rising. I got so many new games in such a little time, I only now realized that I didn't receive my copy of Doc Clock from the Clever Pack purchase. I sent off an email to Steam Support, but has anyone else gotten their copy of Doc Clock w/ their Indie Clever Pack purchase?[/QUOTE]

Got mine here. Pretty sure Steam will solve your problem in no time.

I've never really been a PC gamer and am new to Steam but I'm using these sales to give me a taste of what the platform has to offer. Already bought yesterday and today's indie packs and plan to pick up more as they become available. My biggest barrier to entry, though, is that I only have a laptop, and a pretty unimpressive one at that (bought 2008, ho-hum HP Pavilion with average specs for the time).

I know this is a shameless attempt to save myself a bunch of googling, but are there any titles currently on sale that any of you would warn someone without a good gaming PC to avoid due to high system requirements? I'm especially thinking about Tropico 3 and Machnarium. Thanks for all help of course :)

Machinarium will run on anything that runs Flash. Tropico 3 will need a lot more resources, but maybe someone who owns it can tell you if its graphics settings can be turned down much.

[quote name='fwbweux']I've never really been a PC gamer and am new to Steam but I'm using these sales to give me a taste of what the platform has to offer. Already bought yesterday and today's indie packs and plan to pick up more as they become available. My biggest barrier to entry, though, is that I only have a laptop, and a pretty unimpressive one at that (bought 2008, ho-hum HP Pavilion with average specs for the time).

I know this is a shameless attempt to save myself a bunch of googling, but are there any titles currently on sale that any of you would warn someone without a good gaming PC to avoid due to high system requirements? I'm especially thinking about Tropico 3 and Machnarium. Thanks for all help of course :)[/QUOTE]

Near the bottom of the Steam description page for each game there are required and recommended requirements

[quote name='mistymayem']Near the bottom of the Steam description page for each game there are required and recommended requirements[/QUOTE]

Cool, this should speed things up.

Consider Machinarium bought, I'll do some digging of my own on Tropico 3 now that I know there's a convenient place to look.

[quote name='Xenogears']This game share crap is really annoying. Are all the steam threads like this? These indie game packs have a lot of games that people don't know about, and are gonna want to discuss. Let them do so!

Seriously, the info about using the group buy thread is in the title. You can't get in here without reading it...[/QUOTE]

Hey man. I completely agree and do everything I can to steer people in the right direction. Whenever group buy posts get on your nerves, feel free to ask a mod to delete some of them. Also remember the Steam discussion thread is always a great place to talk about Steam games without getting bogged down with off-topic posting.

Thanks EastX. For me, these indie packs have been the high point of this years black friday. I am not much of a PC, Steam, or indie gamer; but so far i've bought the story and clever indie packs, torchlight, and machinarium. For the price, GREAT DEALS, especially if you want something other than the usual FPS/3rd person shooter

Right on! Steam deals are quite alluring - soon you'll wonder why you ever paid so much for games before. Indie games definitely provide a great variety, and they often have lovely visual styles and/or music as well.

I wish Steam would offer a price on the single version and stop with the group buy nonsense. It's annoying. They know they are going to get that low price. Forcing us to go through the nonsense of creating group buy's to do that is silly. And for what? To avoid selling a couple copies here and there at a somewhat lower price than a normal sale?

This reminds of when they tested out having hourly sales. We'd be sitting there, waiting on Rockstar to decide, "Okay, THIS HOUR IS THE ONE HOUR YOU GET TO BUY GTA EVERY GTA EVER MADE KIT FOR $2! We hope you don't have a life and are staring at your computer waiting for it. Next hour, you get GTA 1 for $59.99. So don't miss the ONE hour you want the most. Btw, that GTA EVERY GTA EVER MADE KIT you just bought for $2? Well, the Rockstar EVERY GAME EVER MADE BY Rockstar kit (which includes all the GTA kit's games) is going to be sold for $1. Tomorrow. You won't know it's coming and you'll have to needlessly buy all the same games over again and not be able to trade them. You're welcome."

Well, this group buy nonsense is the same kind of failed experiment. I feel like they wasted so much time setting up group buy's they forgot to bring the hits. I mean, not having a great deal on BF seems tragic. $15 for Blur, $15 for Burnout Paradise City? I just got Burnout: PC for $5 on clearance at Target for my 360. Why would a PC version cost $15 so long after release? And no one bought Blur on PC because of Activision's inability to fix problems with its PC ports. Neither deserve a $15 price when on a BF (and on the very day itself) sale.

Valve, where's the steam that burns? This is steam that moistens my glasses and causes me a minor cough. I'd complain more, but they usually do a killer Christmas sale and I seem to remember last year being meh about BF, too, and whoa on the Christmas/NY sale.

I guess that's why they did the, "Everyone, WORK ON YOUR WISH LISTS" thing. They want to see what games people REALLY want. So then they can charge $15 or more for them (I imagine).

How many things on sale now are likely to go on sale again at the end of year sale? I don't recall repeats last year but I wasn't watching closely.

There will definitely be some repeats during the holiday sale. And Burnout's sale price was most likely chosen by EA. Very few EA games get great sale prices on Steam (ME 1 $5 being one example) ; EA likes to keep their prices high. True, Burnout was cheaper before, but what can ya do?

The way I see it (and the way they have been presenting this sale from the start) is that this was made to fill out everyone's Christmas presents list for other people. It's too bad the old ladies standing outside of a Super Target ready to grab every copy of whatever is in front of them aren't aware of this. Perhaps they'll give us an opportunity to shop for ourselves instead of our friends in December.

Also, I am sort of glad that they didn't put any big name stand alone sales up. It helped generate awareness for these awesome indie games. I picked up 10 games I otherwise would never have heard of. I wouldn't have given the indie packs a second glance if I had blown all my money on more expensive titles. Most of them are pretty great, so this sale was a success to me if only for that.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']I wish Steam would offer a price on the single version and stop with the group buy nonsense. It's annoying. They know they are going to get that low price. Forcing us to go through the nonsense of creating group buy's to do that is silly. And for what? To avoid selling a couple copies here and there at a somewhat lower price than a normal sale?

This reminds of when they tested out having hourly sales. We'd be sitting there, waiting on Rockstar to decide, "Okay, THIS HOUR IS THE ONE HOUR YOU GET TO BUY GTA EVERY GTA EVER MADE KIT FOR $2! We hope you don't have a life and are staring at your computer waiting for it. Next hour, you get GTA 1 for $59.99. So don't miss the ONE hour you want the most. Btw, that GTA EVERY GTA EVER MADE KIT you just bought for $2? Well, the Rockstar EVERY GAME EVER MADE BY Rockstar kit (which includes all the GTA kit's games) is going to be sold for $1. Tomorrow. You won't know it's coming and you'll have to needlessly buy all the same games over again and not be able to trade them. You're welcome."

Well, this group buy nonsense is the same kind of failed experiment. I feel like they wasted so much time setting up group buy's they forgot to bring the hits. I mean, not having a great deal on BF seems tragic. $15 for Blur, $15 for Burnout Paradise City? I just got Burnout: PC for $5 on clearance at Target for my 360. Why would a PC version cost $15 so long after release? And no one bought Blur on PC because of Activision's inability to fix problems with its PC ports. Neither deserve a $15 price when on a BF (and on the very day itself) sale.

Valve, where's the steam that burns? This is steam that moistens my glasses and causes me a minor cough. I'd complain more, but they usually do a killer Christmas sale and I seem to remember last year being meh about BF, too, and whoa on the Christmas/NY sale.

I guess that's why they did the, "Everyone, WORK ON YOUR WISH LISTS" thing. They want to see what games people REALLY want. So then they can charge $15 or more for them (I imagine).[/QUOTE]

Uhm to be fair, the sale is called "Give & Get". The idea behind it being you get it for such a cheap price and you can give it to others.

And the reason for "Black Friday" is to get company's in the black, if you noticed the cartoon "Every Friday is Black". I imagine Valve is one of the few comapnies WAAAAAAAAY in the black. No way they'd be in the red after how succesful they've been.

Also, Valve is NOT Activision. They want the wish list thing to see what games people want vs what they've already bought so they can price it better probably.

Not every company in this world is evil... just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back