Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a question. I've only been buying on steam again for about a month after a three year absence, so I'm not sure of how things work now. Dirt 3 has been 10% since the prepurchase went up. Today they made it 10% and a free copy of Dirt 2 (still in the prepurchase state, it releases in two weeks). My question is: if I had bought it before today (which I bought it today, once they changed the offer), would I get the copy of Dirt 2, or if you bought it earlier, are you just screwed? If it's the latter, why would anyone prepurchase anything more than a day or two before release? I'm really hoping it's the former, but I honestly have no clue, and the way steam does most things, I'm kind of afraid it's the latter.

[quote name='mietha']Got a question. I've only been buying on steam again for about a month after a three year absence, so I'm not sure of how things work now. Dirt 3 has been 10% since the prepurchase went up. Today they made it 10% and a free copy of Dirt 2 (still in the prepurchase state, it releases in two weeks). My question is: if I had bought it before today (which I bought it today, once they changed the offer), would I get the copy of Dirt 2, or if you bought it earlier, are you just screwed? If it's the latter, why would anyone prepurchase anything more than a day or two before release? I'm really hoping it's the former, but I honestly have no clue, and the way steam does most things, I'm kind of afraid it's the latter.[/QUOTE]

From what I gathered from the Steam forums and amongst others, Valve has a more forgiving policy towards refunding a preordered, yet to be released game. My advise would be to contact Valve through a support ticket and ask for a refund. Then, go ahead and repurchase the game to receive the promo copy of Dirt 2.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']From what I gathered from the Steam forums and amongst others, Valve has a more forgiving policy towards refunding a preordered, yet to be released game. My advise would be to contact Valve through a support ticket and ask for a refund. Then, go ahead and repurchase the game to receive the promo copy of Dirt 2.[/QUOTE]

Actually, thankfully, I had waited, so it's not a concern on this one, I was just asking if anyone know from experience for future purposes. This was the first time I'd seen them change a prepurchase offer, so it caught me offguard. Thank you for the advice though. You are probably exactly right in how it would have to be handled. I love them most of the time, but they make some things far more complicated than necessary.

Bit on tropico gold for $5, been interested for a while, think my wife will like it also, looks like a lot of game for $5

Fortix has a permanent price drop down to $0.99

Great price for a pretty good game, also a demo on Steam for those the CAG is extremely strong in.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Fortix has a permanent price drop down to $0.99

Great price for a pretty good game, also a demo on Steam for those the CAG is extremely strong in.[/QUOTE]

Nice catch! Fortix is fun. It's not earth-shattering, but well made, and kid-friendly if you have little ones. I can't imagine someone who wouldn't get 99 cents worth of entertainment out of it. Here is the recommendation I wrote in Steam some time ago:

What the description doesn't explain very well is that this is a Qix clone (classic 80's arcade game), mashed up with RTS elements. If you enjoyed Qix, you'll probably like this.

The game is very polished and attractive, and the gameplay is engaging. The menu system is difficult to manage, and suggests that this is a console port. No matter. The game plays fine, because it plays best with a keyboard. Only the menus are goofy.

I'm glad I bought this. It's fun entertainment for a few hours.

im glad i got the serious sam gold pack during the holiday sale when it was $5. this one is 2.50$ more and doesnt come with the old versions. still an ok deal i guess

[quote name='JakeNome']im glad i got the serious sam gold pack during the holiday sale when it was $5. this one is 2.50$ more and doesnt come with the old versions. still an ok deal i guess[/QUOTE]

Not after your post.

No reason to get the gold pack unless you just want to play the non-HD versions of the games. Also keep in mind these games were all 90% of during the Holiday sale and will probably be a similar price during the summer sale and/or given away for free with a SS3 preorder.

[quote name='BluePotato']Portal 2 (PC) is $24.95 at Frys. I'm pretty sure you can activate the code on Steam.[/QUOTE]
lol?
Of course you can activate it on Steam.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, you HAVE to activate it on Steam, which is why I never bought Half Life 2.[/QUOTE]

That's a silly reason, especially since it's such a great game.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, you HAVE to activate it on Steam, which is why I never bought Half Life 2.[/QUOTE]

Funny thread for a "boo Steam" comment.

:hot:
Chu crazy.

I don't like getting games UNLESS I can activate them on Steam.
:lol:

I prefer activating on Steam. Steam rules.

Good god man. There are games I have specifically not purchased (or at least not on PC) because Steam wasn't an option.

Signed, self admitted fanboy.

[quote name='gage006']Good god man. There are games I have specifically not purchased (or at least not on PC) because Steam wasn't an option.

Signed, self admitted fanboy.[/QUOTE]

So so many xD

Still waiting for Sins of a Solar Empire and Galactic Civilizations, Zoo Tycoon Complete etc etc xD

[quote name='Pheace']So so many xD

Still waiting for Sins of a Solar Empire and Galactic Civilizations, Zoo Tycoon Complete etc etc xD[/QUOTE]

You might get your wish now that Gamestop is in charge of Impulse. I noticed Impulse is starting to sell Steamworks games like Magicka and Brink so maybe Steam will start selling games that used to be Impulse exclusive.

And Steam just posted the deal we have all been waiting for:
RailWorks 2 + Farming Simulator 2011 for $32.49! :lol:

[quote name='Xealot42']You might get your wish now that Gamestop is in charge of Impulse. I noticed Impulse is starting to sell Steamworks games like Magicka and Brink so maybe Steam will start selling games that used to be Impulse exclusive.

And Steam just posted the deal we have all been waiting for:
RailWorks 2 + Farming Simulator 2011 for $32.49! :lol:[/QUOTE]

1245098634680.jpg

Hmm I've never understood the interest some people have in Serious Sam. Looks like just another cheap and boring arcade shooter to me.

[quote name='Therapy']Hmm I've never understood the interest some people have in Serious Sam. Looks like just another cheap and boring arcade shooter to me.[/QUOTE]

It's fun and funny as hell.

[quote name='Therapy']Hmm I've never understood the interest some people have in Serious Sam. Looks like just another cheap and boring arcade shooter to me.[/QUOTE]

It's... you haven't played something like it recently. A game where you actually are strafe dodging projectiles or leaping enemies. It's very good but overrated by its fans. The problem with it is that enemy encounters become ridiculously overpacked fast. Like fighting the charging pouncing skeletons for a big 10 minute fight? WELL ENJOY 20 MINUTES OF THEM NEXT!

Still, I say it's worth it. Just buy the Second Encounter on the cheap and you'll get your moneys worth even if you don't beat it.

[quote name='eastx']
The Witcher 2 preorders now include Team Fortress 2 stuff for scouts. The game comes out on Tuesday and will be the best RPG of the year, BTW.[/QUOTE]

Sadly another Boston Basher replacement. Another useless weapon ;_;

I'd rather they skinned the base bat.

There are tons of secrets, it's funny, the game does a terrific job of requiring you to juggle your weapons, intense action, over-the-top hordes of enemies. What's not to like?

[quote name='paz9x']eh, it would have to top skyrim.[/QUOTE]
Perhaps, but they are two wildly different games in most respects except basic RPG elements.
Best or not could depend on your game type preference and how well Skyrim will function on PCs since it's a console games by its roots and Witcher 2 is a PC game from the ground up.

[quote name='Phasher99']the GOG bonuses have me torn between buying witcher from there or steam...[/QUOTE]

Support the introduction of regional pricing and (light) drm on gog, get The witcher 2 :)

[quote name='Phasher99']the GOG bonuses have me torn between buying witcher from there or steam...[/QUOTE]
I figure it this way, GOG is a great little service BUT Steam will be around for a long time and I doubt ill ever have issues with them going out of business and not being able to dl my games. (not saying that GOG is going anywhere but still)

[quote name='Kuma']I figure it this way, GOG is a great little service BUT Steam will be around for a long time and I doubt ill ever have issues with them going out of business and not being able to dl my games. (not saying that GOG is going anywhere but still)[/QUOTE]

The thing about GoG is, there's no DRM on the installers. So you can download them and make as many copies as you want on discs/hard drives/whatever, and if GoG ever goes out of business you still have your games. Whereas with Steam, if they ever go under (and fail to make good on their promise to unlock all our games) your stuff is gone.

For less than $15 you can get 50 DVD+Rs, which is more than 200GB of backup medium. If you're worried about your GoG purchases, buy a spindle and run off a few copies of your stuff. Side benefit, when you want to play them you don't have to wait for them to download or even need internet at all.

[quote name='Kuma']I figure it this way, GOG is a great little service BUT Steam will be around for a long time and I doubt ill ever have issues with them going out of business and not being able to dl my games. (not saying that GOG is going anywhere but still)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BitLooter']The thing about GoG is, there's no DRM on the installers. So you can download them and make as many copies as you want on discs/hard drives/whatever, and if GoG ever goes out of business you still have your games. Whereas with Steam, if they ever go under (and fail to make good on their promise to unlock all our games) your stuff is gone.

For less than $15 you can get 50 DVD+Rs, which is more than 200GB of backup medium. If you're worried about your GoG purchases, buy a spindle and run off a few copies of your stuff. Side benefit, when you want to play them you don't have to wait for them to download or even need internet at all.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.. it's amazing to me how worried people are about GOG going under, when their games don't have DRM. That would be like being upset that you can no longer order an original copy of Descent from Interplay.

You buy the game, having the ability to redownload is great, but if they go under, you STILL have your games.. assuming they give everyone a heads up before the servers go down, and there's no reason to believe they wouldn't.

Not that I'm knocking steam.. either is a great way to buy games

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back