Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, will any of the prices be changing/adding new sales? Or is the "Day 1" reference only to the prizes being given away?

I was expecting some good price drops on Civ IV/V, Batman, CS:S. Black Friday is just around the corner though... o_o

[quote name='dmdragon']If anyone hasn't see the very, very, very awesome thing 2k did for one of their fans, you need to check it out. This even makes me forgive them for duke nukem.

[/quote]

Didn't they do that before they released Duke Nukem? I considered THAT youtube vid as an apology for at first refusing to put Bioshock 2 DLC on the PC version.

THEN they released Duke Nukem Forever for $50/60 and I was like, "Why do you keep smacking me after I forgave you?"

I think they need to put DNF on sale for $7.50 tomorrow for the daily deal and then I might forgive them.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Didn't they do that before they released Duke Nukem? I considered THAT youtube vid as an apology for at first refusing to put Bioshock 2 DLC on the PC version.

THEN they released Duke Nukem Forever for $50/60 and I was like, "Why do you keep smacking me after I forgave you?"

I think they need to put DNF on sale for $7.50 tomorrow for the daily deal and then I might forgive them.[/QUOTE]

Why would you forgive them for overcharging you, that game is worth 50 cents max lol

[quote name='MSI Magus']Even if you dislike shooters you may like this game. I mean I am not a big shooter guy, but Borderlands just has the awesome loot grind/loot pinata happiness that games like Diablo do. I feel like even though iv bought the PS3 and the Steam version(and paid seperatly for all the Steam DLC)that I owe them money.[/QUOTE]

I am not good at shooters at all, but I think I must own a good majority of all the Diablo clones out there for consoles and PC (even all four episodes of Shadowflare for PC and LotR: The Return of the King for GBA). To say that these kinds of games are like crack-laced sandwiches to me is a severe understatement.

Would you say that Borderlands has a good difficulty curve and/or a difficulty adjustment? I'd love to try it...

[quote name='NeoGutsman']I am not good at shooters at all, but I think I must own a good majority of all the Diablo clones out there for consoles and PC (even all four episodes of Shadowflare for PC and LotR: The Return of the King for GBA). To say that these kinds of games are like crack-laced sandwiches to me is a severe understatement.

Would you say that Borderlands has a good difficulty curve and/or a difficulty adjustment? I'd love to try it...[/QUOTE]

I think you will do fine even if you aren't all that good, you will get better. Also if you like diablo clones make sure you get titans quest, it's in the thq pack, one of the best diablo clones I've ever played.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']I am not good at shooters at all, but I think I must own a good majority of all the Diablo clones out there for consoles and PC (even all four episodes of Shadowflare for PC and LotR: The Return of the King for GBA). To say that these kinds of games are like crack-laced sandwiches to me is a severe understatement.

Would you say that Borderlands has a good difficulty curve and/or a difficulty adjustment? I'd love to try it...[/QUOTE]

When you die you just respawn at a nearby location and loose some $$ (not exp) and go on your way, it's not like other FPS games where you go back to a save checkpoint and the enemies you killed aren't dead anymore. Plus if you are having problems with an area, just go level up and find new gear (seriously level makes a difference in damage taken/recieved).

Goddamn these Steam sales. I've been eyeiong Oblivion GotY with Skyrim on the horizon and now I've gotta decide if I should jump on it, particularly in light of the fact that I've still got Witcher: EE, NWN2: Platinum, KotOR, DA:O: UE, and Deus Ex Collection staring at me, on top of the rest of my PS3/PSP backlog.

Couple of questions:

1. Is the digital deluxe worth it? It's my understanding that Shivering Isles and Knights of Nine are the only two official expansions and everything else in the deluxe is just smaller DLC. Is that correct?

2. Is this the cheapest that Oblivion GotY has been on Steam?

The difficulty curve is not that bad and if you struggle you can always level up/find new equipment or play online with friends(id be happy to install the game and help if you needed). Really though overall most of the game is pretty low to mid range for difficulty.

The class you pick can help tremendously as well. If you pick the Siren or Hunter it means you are going to be doing a lot more precision fighting. Meanwhile if you pick the Soldier or Brick you can do more up close fighting, hit and run or even melee. The soldier dude(Roland)is great with assault rifles which require low accuracy and his special move is to toss a turret down that you can hide behind to recover while it blows stuff up. Brick on the other hand is great with shotguns and rocket launchers and has a special move where he screams and goes berzerk and then just pounds the shit out of everyone with his bare hands.

If your in to Diablo style games at all I think that Borderlands is a MUST buy.

[quote name='dmdragon']I think you will do fine even if you aren't all that good, you will get better. Also if you like diablo clones make sure you get titans quest, it's in the thq pack, one of the best diablo clones I've ever played.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I already have Titan Quest and the expansion (and the digital GOLD version as well). Excellent, wonderful game! The fan community for it is still thriving. I thought it was TitanQuest.net, but it seems to be down at the moment.

[quote name='kayatai']When you die you just respawn at a nearby location and loose some $$ (not exp) and go on your way, it's not like other FPS games where you go back to a save checkpoint and the enemies you killed aren't dead anymore. Plus if you are having problems with an area, just go level up and find new gear (seriously level makes a difference in damage taken/recieved).[/QUOTE]

Oh, that is great - thanks for that info! I think that's why I liked Bioshock since it would just respawn you at the last checkpoint you triggered (those capsule things) and everything that was dead stayed that way. I also liked how enemies also retained damage.

[quote name='Ardrid']Goddamn these Steam sales. I've been eyeiong Oblivion GotY with Skyrim on the horizon and now I've gotta decide if I should jump on it, particularly in light of the fact that I've still got Witcher: EE, NWN2: Platinum, KotOR, DA:O: UE, and Deus Ex Collection staring at me, on top of the rest of my PS3/PSP backlog.

Couple of questions:

1. Is the digital deluxe worth it? It's my understanding that Shivering Isles and Knights of Nine are the only two official expansions and everything else in the deluxe is just smaller DLC. Is that correct?

2. Is this the cheapest that Oblivion GotY has been on Steam?[/QUOTE]

1. Yes, Oblivion GOTY is amazing, one of the best games ever made. With or without the length of the expansions, it is worth it. The core game alone can provide 100+ hours of gameplay.

2. I think so. Not completely sure. I bought it for around $8-10 during a fall/winter sale on steam last year.

[quote name='fishphoenix']
2. I think so. Not completely sure. I bought it for around $8-10 during a fall/winter sale on steam last year.[/QUOTE]

Remember, you can always check steamgamesales.com for price history of a given Steam title to help you make a purchasing decision. ;)

[quote name='lllGurulll']Is Back to the Future truly worth the 12.50?[/QUOTE]

I personally like them a lot. They were designed to be fun and relaxing, so don't expect brain-bending puzzles. Some may balk at that, but I for one wanted to enjoy the atmosphere and writing and just get through the series without giving up in frustration. There are other adventure games out there that provide that already ;)

I say that it is a great deal for all five episodes, and the story, acting, writing and presentation are perfectly in line with the movies.

[quote name='MSI Magus']...If your in to Diablo style games at all I think that Borderlands is a MUST buy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info about the game and difficulty, folks! Very, helpful! That's why I love this community :)

[quote name='alangee']Hey guys, will any of the prices be changing/adding new sales? Or is the "Day 1" reference only to the prizes being given away?

I was expecting some good price drops on Civ IV/V, Batman, CS:S. Black Friday is just around the corner though... o_o[/QUOTE]

If it follows the pattern of previous sales there will be new daily deals and "camp activities" each day of the sale.

And am I going crazy or was there an activity for bit.trip.runner that was replaced with one for bit.trip.beat?

Bought Oblivion GOTY Deluxe and The Longest Journey/Dreamfall pack.

Normally, I'd wait for a daily deal for some things, but that Longest Journey/Dreamfall pack is 75% off already, at $6.24 for the pack. Hard to resist, since I've had that on my wishlist for a year or so.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and Call of Cthulhu aren't quite as discounted, so I'll wait and hope for a better deal for those.

[quote name='xxjonoxx']I really want Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, but I feel like it might go cheaper that $13. Anyone can to input?[/QUOTE]

Do you want to play it *right now?* If not, wait until the last day of the sale to see if it goes for a daily deal.

If it does, buy it cheaper than $13.

If not, no loss.

I'm waiting on a few games this way (Jamestown, Inside a Star Filled Sky) that I won't be playing right away, but it couldn't hurt to save a buck or two, just in case. (I wonder if Two Worlds 2 will go on sale at all.)

[quote name='xxjonoxx']I really want Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, but I feel like it might go cheaper that $13. Anyone care to input?[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking about this as well, but from the looks of http://www.steamgamesales.com/view-history.php?id=415 , it hasn't gone on sale at all the last few major Steam sales, and considering how old it is, it's not likely going to get a daily deal.

That being said, I'm waiting until the last day of the sale to buy it on the off-chance that it somehow does go lower, but that risks forgetting about it until it's too late, so it's up to you if you wish to do the same.

Any significant difference between Deluxe GOTY Oblvion and just the regular GOTY?
Bought the regular GOTY and I didn't see the deluxe...

[quote name='Hizaki']Any significant difference between Deluxe GOTY Oblvion and just the regular GOTY?
Bought the regular GOTY and I didn't see the deluxe...[/QUOTE]

something like 9 extra pieces of dlc

[quote name='fishphoenix']1. Yes, Oblivion GOTY is amazing, one of the best games ever made. With or without the length of the expansions, it is worth it. The core game alone can provide 100+ hours of gameplay.

2. I think so. Not completely sure. I bought it for around $8-10 during a fall/winter sale on steam last year.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. What I was wondering though was whether the Digital Deluxe version is worth $8.50 for the additional DLC (the two expansions + the extra hideouts, horse armor, etc) over the standard GotY for $6.80 (which just has the two expansions)?

Money is obviously not a concern since we're only talking $2, but if I can save money on stuff I'm not going to care about, that's more money towards another deal I might jump on during this sale.

Stocked up on a couple games for when I build my gaming pc later this year. Borderlands GOTY, Oblivion GOTY deluxe, The Oddboxx and RUSH which looked interesting for $1.25 and is something I could likely play now. Not a bad haul for >$20

First steam sale, I can certainly see how people overspend on these if they keep up the quality of deals the whole way through.

[quote name='Hizaki']Any significant difference between Deluxe GOTY Oblvion and just the regular GOTY?
Bought the regular GOTY and I didn't see the deluxe...[/QUOTE]

According to Steam, here's what it comes with:

Includes Knights of the Nine and the Shivering Isles expansions plus Fighter's Stronghold Expansion, Spell Tome Treasures, Vile Lair, Mehrune's Razor and much more.

I wondered the same thing but just went ahead and picked up the Deluxe version.

Also, try contacting Steam customer support about your situation. Perhaps they can cancel your order and put the credit toward the Deluxe. Good luck!

What is the best way to search through every game on sale? I want to go through and create a list for everything to buy on the last day of the sale(that way I can naturally watch to see if they are cut further).

Has anyone noticed that the discounted prices for Steams sales are also the same on Amazon for direct download? Is Amazon price matching, or has this always been the price for Amazon? For example:

Medal of Honor:

Steam: $10.19
Amazon DD: $10.19

Dawn of War II: Retribution:

Steam: $14.99
Amazon DD: $14.99

Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition:

Steam: $7.50
Amazon DD: $7.50

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Steam: $33.49
Amazon DD: $33.49

[quote name='MSI Magus']Anyone know anything about The Graveyard? Game is hella cheap right now but I cant find much on it.[/QUOTE]

Seems cool. Check out the demo, its less than 25mb.

[quote name='Soma_Cruz']How is the price for Risen($15), has it been lower? I wonder if I should wait on it or not.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I've seen it lower. That's about the price I paid over the holidays for it.

I really liked the game, and I think that's a fair price. I've read that it's what Gothic 3 should have been, for what that's worth. Know that it's initially challenging, but after a while you do get used to the controls (which become intuitive quickly in my opinion). Just use a double-tap on the direction keys (WW, AA, SS, DD) to do a quick dodge and strafe around enemies early on and you'll be okay.

There are two major character pathways early on in the game. There's a great FAQ on GameFAQs that will show you how to avoid one pathway (you're basically shanghai'd in the game). However, neither is an actual detriment to enjoying the game at all. In my opinion, if you follow the FAQ up to this early point you aren't spoiling much of anything later in the game, so don't worry.

Have fun!

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Seems cool. Check out the demo, its less than 25mb.[/QUOTE]

Apparently its one of those artsy fartsy games where you do not actually ever do anything. You just wander around as this old woman for a few mins till you reach a conclusion.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Anyone know anything about The Graveyard? Game is hella cheap right now but I cant find much on it.[/QUOTE]

"Buying the full version of The Graveyard adds only one feature, the possibility of death. The full version of the game is exactly the same as the trial, except, every time you play she may die."

I see no reason to buy it, honestly.

Unrelated: Does anyone know of a Picross/Nonogram game on Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back