Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSI Magus']Its too bad the Thanksgiving packs were not still up because those were 10x better. As for the current packs here are the ones that seem worth buying and I will note how strongly.

Smarts Pack - Decent
Flgiht Pack - Above average
Kids Pack - Above Average
Beat Pack - MUST BUY!!! Most of the games are great. Chyme and Beat hazard alone are worth it
2D Pack - Very good if for Geometry Wars and VVVVVV, the others are mostly solid too though

The others seem to be poor, hit or miss or in one or two cases I dont feel comfortable making a judgment because I have not played the games/there are not enough reviews available.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I was considering the Fright Pack and Audio Pack the most. You said the Burn Zombie Burn was not very good?

[quote name='fishphoenix']I can't decide between AVP or Recettear. I'm limiting myself to 1 game per day for this sale so I'm not getting both :p. I'm a big fan of the Aliens and Predator franchises, so AVP is tempting, but I've never played it. Just played the Recettear demo, it was really fun. Any opinions?[/QUOTE]

I was interested in AvP too so I did a little digging. From what I've read, AvP was a big disappointment. The three campaigns are short and can be completed in a couple of hours, and the multiplayer has been practically dead since launch.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Anyone recommend any of the Indie Packs in particular?[/QUOTE]

Depends on tastes, of course, but just some thoughts:

Fright Pack is a good deal. While Burn Zombie Burn is basically shovelware that's been abandoned by the developers it's still a semi-decent shooter (assuming you don't have crashing issues). Zombie Driver is essentially a top-down shooter, too, except you run over zombies with your car. It plays like the early GTA games (before they went 3D), great physics, great graphics, and a few months ago the developers added a much needed 'survival' mode and race mode to the fairly sparse campaign. The Void and the Path are 'artistic' games that you'll probably either love or hate but well worth $1 each. Don't know much about Scourge Project -- seems like another failed Indie development but it has decent enough game play and there is co-op if you know someone else that gets it.

Beat Pack is a great deal if you like games based around your music collection. Rhythm Zone is basically a poor man's Guitar Hero. Chime and Turba are puzzle games. Beat Hazard is a crazy arcade shooter and bit.trip is a really cool 'sideways pong/breakout' type of game with neat 8 bit graphics and music score.

The others are pretty solid, although I only own one, maybe two games in each so I can't comment on the bulk of the rest.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Thanks, I was considering the Fright Pack and Audio Pack the most.[/QUOTE]

Here are my impressions so far from the games I've played out of those packs:

Audio Pack (Beat Pack?)
Beat Hazard - A dual-stick shooter like geometry wars. Do not find the gameplay to be nearly as fun as geometry wars, though. I don't find it syncs very well with music. Visual effects on the bullets are nice, unless you play intense songs with very high BPM, where the bullet steam makes it nearly impossible to see anything. That said, it's not terrible.

Chime - A puzzle game that I think is great so far. This is due to some excellent songs and gameplay that can be very hectic at times.

Bit.Trip Beat - I have played a little of this on my ipod touch and it's pretty good. Basically pong, but played to a rhythm.

Fright Pack

The Path - Very weird, I think most people will not like it. I am intrigued by it, but frustrated by it on multiple occasions. Seems like it might be a pretty short game.

Zombie Driver - Pretty good. I would have liked cars that handled a bit more loosely, but the handling is still fine as it is. Not much else to say.

[quote name='fishphoenix']I can't decide between AVP or Recettear. I'm limiting myself to 1 game per day for this sale so I'm not getting both :p. I'm a big fan of the Aliens and Predator franchises, so AVP is tempting, but I've never played it. Just played the Recettear demo, it was really fun. Any opinions?[/QUOTE]

I haven't played AvP, but I'd say Recettear's worth the price. I got it during the Black Friday sales and have only put a few hours into it, but it's been really fun the entire time. Running the store's a lot of fun in itself, even just haggling with customers to make the most money off a sale or purchase their items cheaper. I also liked the dungeon crawling part's gameplay, as well as simply deciding what I should keep with me to sell later.

And I don't know if you have one near you, but there's a store called Five Below near me where I believe I saw AvP (new, disc version) for $5 as their regular price.

picked up AVP today @5... was tempted to pick up AC2 but its only Dx9, boo. already own it on my ps3 anyway.

hoping for ME2 tomorrow.

also does anyone know when this sale expires? as in the last day of the sale?
the 25th?

[quote name='SecretAgentHam']picked up AVP today @5... was tempted to pick up AC2 but its only Dx9, boo. already own it on my ps3 anyway.

hoping for ME2 tomorrow.

also does anyone know when this sale expires? as in the last day of the sale?
the 25th?[/QUOTE]

I believe it ends on the 2nd.

What's everyone's predictions for upcoming daily deals?

Mass Effect 1 or Mass Effect 2 under $5

Metro 2033 under $5

Rogue Warrior under $5

Team Fortress 2 under $4

Dragon Age Origins - under $8

Mafia II - under $8

Wolf Pack (3 Wolfenstein games - ID pack) - under $3

I've definately been hearing about a massive "Indie Potato Pack" with about 15 indie titles (1-5 that many will probably already have.) It will most likely have that Super Meat Boy and Audio Surf - No Doubt.

my wishlist so far has been a good prediction of whats coming so heres what deals are coming according to science.

Lost Planet 2- 15$
Risen- 10$
Dragon Age Ultimate Edition- 20$
Mass Effect 2- 7.50$ or 5$ if you have Mass Effect

[quote name='namster1337']Hopefully Mass Effect 2 for $5 or less :)[/QUOTE]

it would be the best christmas ever if i can rebuy this game for 5 bucks on my superior PC build (suck it xbox) lol

but seriously, the game is a masterpiece. i am playing through the first again currently in preparation for a sale on steam... dont fail me valve!

I second Metro 2033 (they have no problem with $10, so why not go lower?), Oblivion GOTY, and DA Ultimate (under $20 would be insta-buy).
I'm pretty confident TF2 will be something like $3 one of these days. Then again, they have days year round where they practically give it away.

So psyched for deals, so not psyched for actually buying them. >.

Anyone else having issues buying games? I can't complete any transactions even when using funds from my Steam Wallet. I have 100+ games on Steam and have never ran into this so I assume other people are having the same issue?

Hoping Dead Rising 2 and Stalker Call of Pripyat show up at good prices. They're both on sale at Amazon and GFWL ... so I'm really hoping Steam brings it and at the very least matches their prices. And for the love of god Steam, stop bundling the original Stalker with Call of Pripyat and calling it a deal for $9.99 ... we all already have the original Stalker ;)

[quote name='orcishlad']I was interested in AvP too so I did a little digging. From what I've read, AvP was a big disappointment. The three campaigns are short and can be completed in a couple of hours, and the multiplayer has been practically dead since launch.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I liked AVP's single player games even if they were only 3-5 hours long each. As far as online play, it is definitely dead but if you have friends to play with it's not bad. I'm constantly able to get games of 8-12 people going from my friends list.

Might pick up Bully, $3.75 isn't a bad deal. I wish there was a request box though, I've never seen Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines on sale :/

[quote name='Covnam']Might pick up Bully, $3.75 isn't a bad deal. I wish there was a request box though, I've never seen Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines on sale :/[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've wanted that one for a while. At this point I'm almost ready to break down and buy it.

[quote name='pROvIs']Or he bought something with a ton of games like indie packs or the telltale pack which makes each episode a game.[/QUOTE]

Very true, the packs can make you acquire a bunch of games quickly. :)

[quote name='MSI Magus']On the fence about SM Pirates. Anyone have anything to say about it? I know its a classic but why?[/QUOTE]

Its this great little open world game, you take command of a ship, recruit crew and do whatever the heck you want really, become a privateer (mercenary) for a nation and attack its enemy's ships, attack anyone indiscriminately (not exactly recommended!) as a full fledged pirate, raid towns and forts, run cargo from port to port, look for treasure, or follow the loose "storyline" about finding your long lost and abused family.

this newer version adds some minigames that werent present in the original (most notably, dancing to romance the governor's daughter) They arent my cup of tea, but they arent bad.

Combat isnt just naval, there's also duels and "army" battles against towns.

[quote name='Covnam']Might pick up Bully, $3.75 isn't a bad deal. I wish there was a request box though, I've never seen Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines on sale :/[/QUOTE]

Hasn't been on sale via Steam since 2008.

On the edge with Recettear... someone make the call for me. I do like JRPGs and top down action based combat, but what makes this one any different and good when compared to the classics like Zelda, Alundra, Secret of Mana, Crystalis, etc?

[quote name='cusoman']On the edge with Recettear... someone make the call for me. I do like JRPGs and top down action based combat, but what makes this one any different and good when compared to the classics like Zelda, Alundra, Secret of Mana, Crystalis, etc?
[/QUOTE]

Dude, Recettear is fucking sweet! You run an item shop and go around bashing shit. If you like JRPGs at all I can't really see how you wouldn't like it.

[quote name='cusoman']On the edge with Recettear... someone make the call for me. I do like JRPGs and top down action based combat, but what makes this one any different and good when compared to the classics like Zelda, Alundra, Secret of Mana, Crystalis, etc?
[/QUOTE]

There's a demo available. Try it out.

[/QUOTE]

The running of the item shop is what makes this game unique compared to all the others. Of the time I've spent playing the game, about 50% has bee dungeon crawling and the other half has been shop-related. If that sounds at all interesting, I'd say give it a go. Also, there is a demo somewhere to try it if you want to experience it for yourself.

Okay, Just Cause 2 at 7.50 seems like a steal, and if I pick that up, Ill need a 360 controller, my question is that gohastings has them for 20, are those wired or wireless controllers.

These sales are sickening.... I've accumulated over 300 "games" in the last two years on steam. I just checked my library and noticed I've actually played around 5% of them - I don't even game, I work full time and go to school full time yet have an absolute compulsion to purchase anything on sale.

What the hell....

[quote name='Jorbi']Its this great little open world game, you take command of a ship, recruit crew and do whatever the heck you want really, become a privateer (mercenary) for a nation and attack its enemy's ships, attack anyone indiscriminately (not exactly recommended!) as a full fledged pirate, raid towns and forts, run cargo from port to port, look for treasure, or follow the loose "storyline" about finding your long lost and abused family.

this newer version adds some minigames that werent present in the original (most notably, dancing to romance the governor's daughter) They arent my cup of tea, but they arent bad.

Combat isnt just naval, there's also duels and "army" battles against towns.[/QUOTE]

By yur description it reminds me of Uncharted Waters from SNES but more advanced... would anyone say that is a good comparison? I've been thinking of getting SM Pirates for awhile.

[quote name='selits']By yur description it reminds me of Uncharted Waters from SNES but more advanced... would anyone say that is a good comparison? I've been thinking of getting SM Pirates for awhile.[/QUOTE]

Yes actually, that would be the perfect comparison

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']These sales are sickening.... I've accumulated over 300 "games" in the last two years on steam. I just checked my library and noticed I've actually played around 5% of them - I don't even game, I work full time and go to school full time yet have an absolute compulsion to purchase anything on sale.

What the hell....[/QUOTE]

Eh, eventually you'll have the time. You won't be in school forever, and when that happens... well, it's gonna be like the best time ever.

[quote name='Chacrana']Eh, eventually you'll have the time. You won't be in school forever, and when that happens... well, it's gonna be like the best time ever.[/QUOTE]

Everyone always thinks that until they are out of school. Ask anyone who is done, and they will tell you that life only gets busier with age and after school.

[quote name='pROvIs']Everyone always thinks that until they are out of school. Ask anyone who is done, and they will tell you that life only gets busier with age and after school.[/QUOTE]
Not if you manage your time effectively.

I got my girlfriend a second job, and found that I have plenty of time to play games. And money, too! ;)

[quote name='Volcynika']Hasn't been on sale via Steam since 2008.[/QUOTE]

Was on sale in April of this year. Steam had a Rockstar week. It was $7.49

[quote name='PenguinJim']Not if you manage your time effectively.

I got my girlfriend a second job, and found that I have plenty of time to play games. And money, too! ;)[/QUOTE]

Wait, so you're telling me all I have to do, is find my girlfriend a second job and I'll have plenty of time and money for video games. Genius.

[quote name='PenguinJim']Not if you manage your time effectively.

I got my girlfriend a second job, and found that I have plenty of time to play games. And money, too! ;)[/QUOTE]

Wait until you have kids. All I seem to do anymore is acquire games to look at on the shelf.

[quote name='Hunter_Silver']I just noticed the Tales of Monkey Island Complete pack is now 75% off instead of 50% so it is now $8.75.[/QUOTE]

I knew I wasn't crazy when I saw it say 75% off then switch to 50%. I just purchased it. I got episode 3 on the Wii for free from that survey that's been floating around the Free Stuff forum and I've been dying to play the whole story.

is Clones worth it?
just got the Humble Indie Bundle (something I did not expect) just wondering if I should spend more :/
got my Lara Croft on Steam instead of PSN

[quote name='wilflare']is Clones worth it?
just got the Humble Indie Bundle (something I did not expect) just wondering if I should spend more :/
got my Lara Croft on Steam instead of PSN[/QUOTE]

Do you like Lemmings? If so yes. Either way, there is a demo on Steam of it. I enjoyed the demo and picked it up myself, only thing I bought today otherwise (had most of what was up there and what I was interested in was higher then I'm willing to pay for it)

i bought the following
Humble Indie I & II USD8 -a lil cheapo of myself...-
Burnout Paradise -kinda regret this though, won't be playing much-
Lara Croft GoL -got this at USD5.10, should have asked around for the USD3.60-
Winterbottom USD0.49
Puzzle Quest USD1.50
Defense Grid USD2.00

Total USD22.09 (ought to stop now...)

[quote name='Hunter_Silver']I just noticed the Tales of Monkey Island Complete pack is now 75% off instead of 50% so it is now $8.75.[/QUOTE]
That certainly makes the price much more palatable.

[quote name='pROvIs']Everyone always thinks that until they are out of school. Ask anyone who is done, and they will tell you that life only gets busier with age and after school.[/QUOTE]

so far its been awesome finished my bachelors and waiting to start my masters later in 2011 (hope I get accepted) so far just work part time and have sooo much free time its awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back