Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Otimus']The PC version is AWESOME. It's extremely well optimized, and has good controller support.

It's practically the best version of DMC4, to boot. Capcom really put effort into the port.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear, looks like I'll toss that on the backlog. At least I'm just about done forgotten sands.

[quote name='sotc1988']Woah, overlord is a sweet price. Gonna get that and maybe King Arthur. Any Cags play that game and have good things to say about it?
Glad I picked up Borderlands during one of the mid-week sales this year. It was 66% off then which goes to show that you don't necessarily have to wait for the x-mas sale to buy a game on sale.[/QUOTE]

There's a demo on Steam if you want to try before you buy. The game play is the same as the Total War series.

I'm seeing a lot of interesting stuff today! I'll wait until New Vegas is cheaper, even though I'm sure it's worth it at this price.

I'm heavily debating BF2 Complete. Should I get it even though I have and thoroughly enjoy BF2142? Really funny because I was perusing through games, saw BF2, and wondered if it would go on sale.
Ah crap, might as well get Overlord Complete. It looks fun, and...it's $3.

For Borderlands, it says "everything" but really it's each individual piece, which is listed on the deal page. Maybe this is for those missing a DLC or two and GOTY will go on sale later.
Claptrap isn't nearly as expansive as Knoxx, but it's still fairly large even though the storyline is pretty short.

Also, with Torchlight on sale I should repeat: if you like Diablo, buy this!!

I've been having a lot of fun with Saint's Row 2 since I got it with the THQ pack last November. It's like GTA in the sense that it's an open world to play around with, but it's delightfully over the top.

You basically start the game by waking up from a five-year coma and breaking out of prison with your new best friend. Then you get to start taking back your city, neighborhood by neighborhood, from three different organized crime families (and one
evil multinational corporation -- is there any other kind?).

The voice acting is great -- Jennifer Hale, Michael Dorn as Maero (mean sob), even what sounds like Sam Rockwell as the head of the Ultor Corporation.

The modding community has been consistently releasing new content over the last year. The Gentlemen of the Row mod is up to version 1.8, and they're still working on new releases.

I haven't played vanilla before, but with this mod, there's an incredible amount of things to do. I don't know if they updated any of the basic textures, but the game looks pretty good at this point. Really, it's well worth a look for $7.50.

There's a link to the mod here:

http://idolninja.com/sr2.php

Note that the different install packages are to have the appropriate prompts on screen, as in if you want PC/XB360/PS3 prompts to go with your controller.

[quote name='darjeeling']I've been having a lot of fun with Saint's Row 2 since I got it with the THQ pack last November. It's like GTA in the sense that it's an open world to play around with, but it's delightfully over the top.

You basically start the game by waking up from a five-year coma and breaking out of prison with your new best friend. Then you get to start taking back your city, neighborhood by neighborhood, from three different organized crime families (and one

The voice acting is great -- Jennifer Hale, Michael Dorn as Maero (mean sob), even what sounds like Sam Rockwell as the head of the Ultor Corporation.

The modding community has been consistently releasing new content over the last year. The Gentlemen of the Row mod is up to version 1.8, and they're still working on new releases.

I haven't played vanilla before, but with this mod, there's an incredible amount of things to do. I don't know if they updated any of the basic textures, but the game looks pretty good at this point. Really, it's well worth a look for $7.50.

Note that the different install packages are to have the appropriate prompts on screen, as in if you want PC/XB360/PS3 prompts to go with your controller.[/QUOTE]

Saints Row 2 was my GoTY a couple years back, game is what GTA should have stayed instead of going in the direction of 4.

If you dont have Overlord and want a mindless fun game with not much of a story then get it. I bought Overlord 1 for like 2.50 awhile back and it was a blast..now its only 75 cent! Or 3 bucks for all 3 games!

Hmm, says Fallout New Vegas for 24.99 if you already own Fallout 3. I do have Fallout 3 installed but not on Steam. How do I get Steam to recognize it? Or am I just SOL?

I was hoping ARMA 2 Combined Ops would be on sale; vanilla A2 is $10 but Amazon has Combined Ops for @12.50... might have to spring for that unless Steam changes their mind.. :)

[quote name='jaredhenry13']I heard SR2 on PC was the worst port of any game ever. You can't even play it in Widescreen![/QUOTE]

I got it to play in Widescreen with the patch which I had to download from elsewhere.

It definitely has issues and doesn't like Win 7 on most machines. However, after a an hour or two of tinkering I got it to work and had fun. :) I picked it up for five bucks I think from the GWFL Marketplace back in November. The Steam version got an official patch and then it was abandoned however, the mod community has been working hard on upgrades.

Before you buy, just know several people have had problems just getting the game to run.

[quote name='Delnatha']Hmm, says Fallout New Vegas for 24.99 if you already own Fallout 3. I do have Fallout 3 installed but not on Steam. How do I get Steam to recognize it? Or am I just SOL?[/QUOTE]

You're outta luck. All of these "if you own X, get Y even cheaper" promotions are only if you own game "X" on Steam. Come now, you don't expect them to give you loyalty discounts, for buying the game somewhere else, do you?

Claptrap, finally! YOU HAVE GIVEN ME YOUR SALE! YOUR SALE IS MINE! (/Shang Tsung)

Also picked up DMC4. Debating Fallout: NV. I still regret my $20 purchase of regular Fallout 3 as they refuse now to put the DLC really on sale, constantly putting only Fallout 3: GOTY on sale over and over always making the DLC more expensive to buy than the GOTY. I foresee them doing the same crap with NV. Having paid $20 for FO3, then them wanting me to pay $20+ for either the GOTY or the DLC, that's a bitter pill. So I'll just wait for the GOTY pack because of their stupidity.

If they'd charge a reasonable price for Fallout DLC, I'd own them all just as I do with Borderlands DLC. They're screwing themselves. And me. :p

I was almost tempted by Ghost Recon. Almost! Then I remembered, they're all so old and not my cup of tea. Haha. I wish they'd done the Splinter Cell games instead. Perhaps soon...

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']
Also picked up DMC4. Debating Fallout: NV. I still regret my $20 purchase of regular Fallout 3 as they refuse now to put the DLC on sale, constantly putting only Fallout 3: GOTY on sale over and over. I foresee them doing the same crap with NV. Having paid $20 for FO3, then them wanting me to pay $20+ for either the GOTY or the DLC, that's a bitter pill. So I'll just wait for the GOTY pack because of their stupidity.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's my hesitation on NV. Would be a different story if they discounted the DLC but as they don't I think I'm just going to pencil in NV GOTY as a late 2011 purchase or whenever they roll it out.

[quote name='aus_nacht']Looking to do a Borderlands GOTY 4 pack. Anyone interested?[/QUOTE]
I'm interested. I also posted in the trading thread after you posted.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']
Also picked up DMC4. Debating Fallout: NV. I still regret my $20 purchase of regular Fallout 3 as they refuse now to put the DLC really on sale, constantly putting only Fallout 3: GOTY on sale over and over always making the DLC more expensive to buy than the GOTY.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for reminding me why I really wasn't planning on getting New Vegas right now. :p
No really, I just realized there was new DLC and figured I'd wait until they're done churning out DLC and make a GOTY, then wait for that to go on sale. I can wait.

[quote name='beefytwinkie']Crap, I missed the Borderlands DLC sale last year. I think each of them was on sale for $3.29 or so. Now they are $4.99 each. I may have to just get in on that now or wait til their next sale. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

yeah, they were all 66% off. i bought the base game in the summer sale & waited to make sure i enjoyed the game before i bit on the DLC.

i'm guessing they wanted the GoTY edition at $25 and couldn't price Borderlands + the DLC at a buck & 1/2 less...

[quote name='jaredhenry13']I heard SR2 on PC was the worst port of any game ever. You can't even play it in Widescreen![/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention that widescreen patches are included in this mod. I'm running it at 1680x1050 (I've got an older monitor), but higher resolutions are definitely supported.

I also forgot to mention that the modding community is implementing new missions, and they've released the beta of the next version already! So v1.9 beta is up, and the only reason it's in beta apparently is because they haven't finished working on the two custom mission sets they're putting into the final version.

As for Windows 7 issues, I'm running Win 7 and I haven't had any random crashes or graphics stuttering while using the patch. Again, haven't tried it unpatched. YMMV.

Agreed on Fallout: NV. I bought Fallout:3 retail when it came out. I would like all the DLC but it's never on sale and I don't want to buy the entire GOTY when I already finished everything except the DLC. I see NV being more of the same.

[youtube]Qh20PwTIERI[/youtube][youtube]Jmdz-Ka1O4Q[/youtube]

Holiday Sale Daily Deals

[youtube]5wC_DtzO8Jw[/youtube][youtube]hTm53o-qj1w[/youtube]

I put 18 hours in saints row 2 on the pc, no problems encountered or crashes, vista 64, radeon, 23" widescreen monitor, only knock is the dlc was console only

And for anyone who picked up Titan Quest on the daily sale, or even is still considering buying it, the final version of the Underlord mod is out. There's a huge amount of content; the whole game has been rebalanced -- every skill tree has been heavily changed, for the better, I think, with the skill cap for each raised to 40. The Rogue skill tree has been even reworked into Occult (with short duration skeleton summons as one avenue), so you can have your necromancer build.

There are huge numbers of mobs now, so you can't steamroll your way through the game without a challenge. It's really like a whole new game, and brings back the feel of one man (or woman) against overwhelming odds, like in Diablo II.

AOE's and crowd control are useful again (and arguably mandatory). Since there are so many mobs, you will likely be level 8 (and ready for your second profession) by the time you reach Sparta, but don't worry -- you won't be overpowered. ;)

Really, it may have more of the Diablo II feel, but it's still very much its own game.

Check out the forums here:

http://www.titanquest.net/tq-forum/forums/72-Underlord

And the ModDB download for Underlord v1.51 final is here:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/underlord/downloads/underlord-151-installerexe-version

I ended up getting the Battlefield pack, Ghost Recon pack, Overload pack, and the last Borderlands DLC I needed. I love Steam holiday sales!!

[quote name='Muse1011']Should I pick up the first two seasons of Sam & Max before getting the Devil's Playhouse?[/QUOTE]

I would guess it isn't required, tho there might be references to characters from the previous chapters. At least playing through Chapter 1, the episodes mostly stand alone with a light connecting factor at the end connecting the plots.

But, you should pick them up as well. Fun games.

[quote name='SolidMGSnake']Devil May Cry 4 is a gorgeous looking game[/QUOTE]

I might need to put in my copy eventually. I picked up my copy from Five Below for $5 a few months ago.

[quote name='darjeeling']I've been having a lot of fun with Saint's Row 2 since I got it with the THQ pack last November. It's like GTA in the sense that it's an open world to play around with, but it's delightfully over the top.

Note that the different install packages are to have the appropriate prompts on screen, as in if you want PC/XB360/PS3 prompts to go with your controller.[/QUOTE]

CAN YOU POST A LINK TO THE MOD??? BTW, I bought this retail on amazon for less then $6 I believe and it activated on steam -- for me at least, SR2 is more fun than GTAIV ---- christ, you can even fly when paying SR2!!!!

Thanks for the info, the reason I gave up on SR2 was because using the 360 pad, I was still being told to press "T" or "Shift" instead of the 360 prompts, sounds like this will solve all of my problems!

I'm most focused on that DMC4 in this sale for $5. I've played DMC 1 and 3 (not 2 tho lol), and both were awesome and tough. Even played that Onimusha which was the eastern samari style DMC game basically. Great game, lots of puzzles, lots of fighting and some RPG elements, but nothing too detailed. It's a good balance of many things and I'd say this is certainly a good deal as well with all the reviews I've read about it. $5 is time to buy it if you've also played the others and liked them. If you haven't played DMC before, but like fighting games, Puzzle Solvers (Tomb Raider style), and RPGs - you'll like it.

NV is still too close to retail release price, but totally worth it if you have the extra money and want to play it now - fantastic game for the holidays - you'll want to complete this one first. Fallout 3 fans will absolutely fall in love with it once again.

Battlefield 2 PACK for $5. It's a bit dated from 2005 but continued to be updated to 2009. $5 for 4 games is not too bad for die-hard FPS fans. But I'd say only die-hard FPS fans of the Battlefield series who haven't played them. This is a lot of FPS from the same game franchise and it's 2005, so be prepared to probably have 1-2 of them sit unplayed with all the other new stuff coming out hah. BF2 alone got 91/100 on metacritic. $5...4 games...your call ;D

Sam and Max is fun, but will surely be cheaper.

Who doesn't have CS:Source. The Retail Half Life 2 game often just included it.

Borderlands isn't as good as Fallout 3 or NV. $10 can wait for this one. I swear I've seen it cheaper many times, still didn't care to pick it up because of reviews I read. Fallout fans don't really need to play it.

Haven't played the others. The Tom Clancy games in general are all marked down a ton. But I have no idea what these games are like. Die-Hard FPS fans only eh? $2.50 and $1.25 per game is pennies for these titles. Might as well toss in the Battlefield 2 pack if you want these. Make it worthwhile. $10 gets a lot of FPS games in this sale.

Would buy the Battlefield 2, but no one here would touch em less I had some pretty awesome reasons to give people to play em. I would certainly play the DMC4 tho and so would others here as well.

Underrated Awesome Game:
CivCity Rome $0.99
If your a fan of Age of Empires, Stronghold series, or similar RTS games - you'll rejoice in playing this one too. $0.99. o_O hilarious.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/3980/

also don't forget about the Humble Bundle #2 for anyone who still hasn't heard about it. o_O
5-11 FANTASTIC indie games for practically nothing $$$ best damn indie pack ATM. Many will load into steam with achievements and everything.
http://www.humblebundle.com/

[quote name='jazyje']CAN YOU POST A LINK TO THE MOD??? BTW, I bought this retail on amazon for less then $6 I believe and it activated on steam -- for me at least, SR2 is more fun than GTAIV ---- christ, you can even fly when paying SR2!!!![/QUOTE]

Yeah .. the mod is at the link I already posted. Maybe, you know, scroll down a bit? Or even click Downloads?

[quote name='darjeeling']And for anyone who picked up Titan Quest on the daily sale, or even is still considering buying it, the final version of the Underlord mod is out.[/QUOTE]
I think I'll wait until I finish with a vanilla character, but thanks! It looks interesting. Are all the bug fixes and stuff generally the same as the fan patch?

[quote name='jazyje']CAN YOU POST A LINK TO THE MOD???[/QUOTE]
Either you're joking or clearly didn't even read the post you quoted. The URL even stands out.

On the fifth day of Steam sale, I picked up for meeeee...
King Arthur Complete Pack ($5.39)
Overlord Complete Pack ($3.00)
Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse ($9.99)
Shattered Union ($0.49)

Probably the most enticing day since the first one, primarily due to Sam and Max Season 3. I wasn't planning to buy Overlord originally, but getting all the Overlord games for only $3 was too tempting to pass up. Also decided to take my chances on King Arthur, and picked up Shattered Union too.

[quote name='Wolfmight']Sam and Max is fun, but will surely be cheaper. [/QUOTE]

I could see them doing a pack with all the episodes for maybe $25. I purchased the first two chapters for $15 last year.

Probably in for Overlord & King Arthur, the latter mostly because of my enjoyment of Mount and Blade.

FO:NV is a win. I bought the "collector's edition" for the PC at full price, and logged 60+ hours in the main game. And that was BEFORE I tackled the main quest. I don't feel bad at all about paying full price, the bugs weren't as bug of a problem as I thought they would be based on reviews. I preferred it over FO3, but I was a huge FO1 and 2 fan and Obsidian's take was the next best thing to Van Buren.

Ok. I know nothing about computers. Is there any way I can tell which games will work on my computer? If I try to download something will it tell me if it will work or not? Thanks for the help.

[quote name='schuerm26']Ok. I know nothing about computers. Is there any way I can tell which games will work on my computer? If I try to download something will it tell me if it will work or not? Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

There's no guarantees on this one, but this site may help.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

I think it compares the minimum and recommended system requirements for a game to your system, and returns the results. I haven't used it, personally, but it may work for you.

I'm tempted to pickup Torchlight for $5 but I've repeatedly seen it at that price before so I know it will be there again. Has it ever been cheaper than $5?

Borderlands GOTY, Fallout NV, and Sam & Max are all wants but I can wait for a lower price. Looks like 3rd day in a row without a buy. It's funny that we are disappointed that we aren't spending ridiculous amounts of money.

[quote name='darjeeling']There's no guarantees on this one, but this site may help.

I think it compares the minimum and recommended system requirements for a game to your system, and returns the results. I haven't used it, personally, but it may work for you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Ill check it out.

Edit: Doesn't have the game/ games I was looking at. It is an older computer so Im just not sure what to expect.

[quote name='schuerm26']Ok. I know nothing about computers. Is there any way I can tell which games will work on my computer? If I try to download something will it tell me if it will work or not? Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]
Assuming by "work" you mean "meets system requirements," each product page should have system requirements listed at the bottom.
Pressing Win+Break (windows key and Pause/Break) should bring up a screen with most system information, although for graphics you might need to go into the Device Manager and click Display.
Checking which number is higher will sometimes work, but you might need to do a bit of research since the model number hierarchy can sometimes be really funky.

EDIT:
[quote name='darjeeling']There's no guarantees on this one, but this site may help.
I think it compares the minimum and recommended system requirements for a game to your system, and returns the results. I haven't used it, personally, but it may work for you.[/QUOTE]
Oh geez, completely forgot about that! Really helpful. I've used it quite a bit. It basically tells you what you need, what you have, and whether you meet each specific minimum and recommended requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back