Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
im done with this sale at this point. Grabbed the Indie Clever Pack, NyxQuest and Just Cause 2. I spent more than I probably should have knowing i have less than a month before the holiday sale, but what can ya do?

[quote name='KillerFurby07']Damn I was about to buy L4D2 this morning. It was $4.99. I took a shower, and when I came back it was $19.99. :([/QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry too much. L4D2 seems to be on sale pretty often. It will most likely be on sale again for Christmas.

Whatever. I just dove into The Orange Box. I really never liked Half-Life 2 in general. I already have Portal. Eh, I REALLY enjoyed TF2 on my 360, I hear it's a whole different game now, but oh well.

[quote name='WormFOODx']I am severely sad that Aliens vs. Predator didn't come through the sale. I know it was leaked to us it was, but something must have happened to the deal. I've been really wanting to play it.[/QUOTE]

Still hold out hope for tomorrow! It's one of two games I'm really hoping go on sale, the other being Amnesia: Dark Descent.

Come on Steam, surprise us with a major Cyber Monday sale!

Hey, does anyone here still have a copy of red faction guerrilla? If you do, please add me on steam so we can talk about it (I don't want it for free, dont worry) or PM me.

steamcommunity.com/id/BibsProfile

I don't know why, but I can't post links since I'm a new user, just search for BibsProfile or Bibs and you will find me to add on steam.

Two possible gift packs for tomorrow:

Alien vs Predator (2010)
World of Goo

It might be just a "best of" sale or it might be all new stuff or a combination of the two.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']It might be just a "best of" sale or it might be all new stuff or a combination of the two.[/QUOTE]

Well, we know there is one more Indie pack, so it's not going to be a full-on "best of" sale. It'll most likely be a combo of both, though it'd be awesome if it were just all new deals.

Today was the day I got the most stuff, M&B, Indie Pack and Patrician IV, god, so many games bought in so few days, anyone knows what else is left for tomorrow? (if indeed there is a tomorrow).

Guys, tomorrow we will have another sale.

Straight from the announcement from Valve:

The "Give & Get" Sale starts today and ends Tuesday, November 30. Each day during the sale there will be huge savings on featured games and large game packs that are perfect for gift-giving throughout the holidays. In the spirit of giving, each day of the sale, Valve will be awarding 30 users with the top five games on their wishlists. To become eligible to win, simply load up your own wishlist with ten or more items now.

In for the Indie Pack again today, despite the fact I already own two of the games - it's still a great deal on some very entertaining games.

Thoughts on the rest:

Orange Box: anyone that doesn't own most of these games already should have his or her head examined for passing up this deal.

The Ball: I reviewed a preview copy for another site and was impressed with the level design and length of the game. In addition to singleplayer there are leaderboards and survival levels. Think Portal with a ball. Sadly, GLaDOS is not involved in the game in any way.

Street Fighter IV: an excellent value at this price as it's packed with modes. If you like fighting games, this is a must-buy. Also, if enough PC units sell, maybe Capcom will find it in their hearts to release Super Street Fighter IV on the PC.

Bit.Trip.Beat & World of Goo: two excellent games, but you may be kicking yourself for paying more for them individually than you would have in the packs they put together this week.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Is it worth it for be to buy Orange Box if the only games I need from it are TF2 and HL2: Ep2? I did the math and even if both of those games were individually marked down 75% it would still come out to $7.50... unless I am mistaken? I'm thinking about buying it but I'm just not sure.[/QUOTE]

Yes. TF2 is the greatest Team based Multiplayer First Person shooter of all time. It is worth that price.

Absolutely nothing for me today. I briefly considered Bit.Trip.Beat, but that was in a indie pack yesterday and I'm sure it'll go cheaper by itself later on. The only other ones I would want are Just Cause 2 and Orange Box, but I already have those. Ah well, I don't mind too much, money saved for tomorrow and Christmas!

Also, has anybody here had Valve give them the top 5 games on their wish list? Or know of anybody?

Everyone keeps talking about the expected awesomeness of the Christmas sale. Can someone give me an idea about what the offerings last year were? I'm excited. :)

Crap, totally forgot to grab Crossworlds yesterday, its the only piece I'm missing from King's Bounty, oh well hope it goes on sale again for the Holiday sale.

Also curious why Steam didn't price match the $7.50 Direct2drive has for Episodes from Liberty City. I was waiting to see if they'd match it then forgot about it and didn't end up ordering anything, darn late Thanksgiving Dinner Turkey Slumber got me again.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Everyone keeps talking about the expected awesomeness of the Christmas sale. Can someone give me an idea about what the offerings last year were? I'm excited. :)[/QUOTE]

the vast majority of games on steam go on sale and then theres daily deals for even more savings on whatever they select [including complete game packages] just like these. Thats all.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Everyone keeps talking about the expected awesomeness of the Christmas sale. Can someone give me an idea about what the offerings last year were? I'm excited. :)[/QUOTE]
The Best Deals there were last year in 2009 were in Steam.

Developer Packs of games were selling for like 45 or 30 dollars. :cool:
Dont remember much of the prices but i remember that the Edios pack deal offered an amazing price.

Valve pretty much wanted you to have all their games in Steam for a small price

I know I already had a lot of the games that went on sale last year, but I have listed in my Steam account (prices approx because of tax that I'm trying to mentally subtract):

Street Fighter IV for around $10
Osmos and Civilization IV Complete was around $15 together
Torchlight $5
Grand Theft Auto IV $7.50

I thought I bought a few others, but they are listed on my sheet as Retail, Free, which means I got them elsewhere and activated them on Steam.

Some of the best deals like cRodz said were the "Complete" bundles, but I had too many games already in all of them to justify getting them.

[quote name='hal']Also, if enough PC units sell, maybe Capcom will find it in their hearts to release Super Street Fighter IV on the PC. [/QUOTE]

Not going to happen, Capcom's already made up their minds on this issue.

The majority of the store is on sale (only Activision didn't have their titles on sale iirc). They had a few special holiday game packs that were insane, and each day they had 10 (I think) new games for a daily deal. The last day was an encore for the previous days best sellers.

So basically when the holiday sale comes rolling in, you only buy from the daily deals and then on the last day buy whatever else you wanted that wasn't a daily deal.

I remember Atari had 66% off all their games the entire sale and most other publishers had 50-75% off all their games. The game bundle that was insane was from Square/Eidios, it had all their games bundled together for $60 and that was when Batman AA was still a $50 and new still.

[quote name='J Bling Blang']I bought Half Life 2 on Thursdays deal. Now The Orange Box shows up at a good price. Is it worth it to buy when I already have one of the titles?[/QUOTE]

If you only have half-life 2, buy it NOW, its TOTALLY worth it. It's worth for tf2 only, and you'll also get both episodes for hl2 and portal.

Also, asking again, please someone answer me. Does anyone have a copy of red faction guerrilla to gift? I'm not asking for free, I can pay for it with another game or using paypal, please PM me or answer on this thread.

[quote name='KaOTiK']The game bundle that was insane was from Square/Eidios, it had all their games bundled together for $60 and that was when Batman AA was still a $50 and new still.[/QUOTE]
yeh

i couldnt believe that either :hot:

Anyone want to do a group buy for Just Cause 2? I really wanna get the game. Would $7.50 per person. I dont want to organize it myself but Id be on board for it if you wanna set it up. And yes you have to have good feedback. And for others that are interested...remember to send money as a "Personal Gift" so no one incurs any fees!

[quote name='Reaperain']Anyone want to do a group buy for Just Cause 2? I really wanna get the game. Would $7.50 per person. I dont want to organize it myself but Id be on board for it if you wanna set it up. And yes you have to have good feedback. And for others that are interested...remember to send money as a "Personal Gift" so no one incurs any fees![/QUOTE]

I dont want to organize it either but I am interested. I guess we need 6 more. :cool:

[quote name='J Bling Blang']I bought Half Life 2 on Thursdays deal. Now The Orange Box shows up at a good price. Is it worth it to buy when I already have one of the titles?[/QUOTE]

If you only had base Half-Life 2, then good news, Orange Box is one of the rare games on Steam which gives you a giftable copy afterward. Plus Episode 1 & 2, Portal, and TF2, which are all fine products.

[quote name='Bibs']If you only have half-life 2, buy it NOW, its TOTALLY worth it. It's worth for tf2 only, and you'll also get both episodes for hl2 and portal.
[/QUOTE]

How about if I have HL2 from thursday and Portal? Is it likely that the episodes and TF2 would be cheaper in the next sale?

[quote name='wmclark']I'm on the edge about the puzzle pack... anyone have any feedback[/QUOTE]

shatter is fantastic. havent played the others yet. if you like puzzlers it looks like a solid pack.

I vouch for Shatter as well. Fantastic spin on the brick-breaking gameplay. And the soundtrack is INCREDIBLE. I've purchased it on iTunes and it's good enough to listen to on it's own when you're in the mood for some electronic goodness.

Shatter is worth the $5 price. I purchased it when it was first released on Steam and loved it. Cogs and Droplets are also fun games. I don't have Puzzle Dimensions or Tidalis, but those two by themselves don't interest me. If you don't already own Shatter get the pack and consider the rest of the games a bonus.

Yuss! The Orange Box at a totally great price is finally mine!* I missed out on an earlier deal this year when it was cheaper (I think) but $7.50 is outright theft so I can't complain ;)

*I'm late to the PC party here because I only just got a great gaming laptop this summer. I had been using a desktop system I build back in 2004 that was midrange even back then, so games like Titan Quest, Half Life: Coast and many others were chunking out on me big time. Even Torchlight was meh on that system, so that's saying a lot, heh.

check the Steam GIve & Get Sale Group Buy thread for that stuff
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279563&page=35
passing on warband again, still haven't palyed the copy of mount nad blade I picked up, might have been salt holiday sale, did pick up the indie puzzle pack, been wanting to play something a bit like cogs for a while now, sadly already had shatter which is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought the Orange Box, I had HL2 and Portal already. It gave me an extra copy of HL2, but no extra Portal. But I got Portal for free anyway, oh well.

[quote name='SEH']Well, we know there is one more Indie pack, so it's not going to be a full-on "best of" sale. It'll most likely be a combo of both, though it'd be awesome if it were just all new deals.[/QUOTE]

True and that would be awesome if it's all new deals!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back