Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dfg']If more people in my family were gamers, I wouldn't have to worry about Xmas shopping at all.[/QUOTE]
God, if that ain't the truth!

[quote name='eastx']The OP has been updated with the new sales and descriptions of the Treasure Hunt promotion. I'll probably try to streamline it a bit more though.

Thanks very much to The Jim for Poker Night at the Inventory and DarkonJohn for CounterStrike: Source![/QUOTE]
Not a problem. I hope you enjoy the game! Just a little 'Thank you' for doing an awesome job with the Steam Thread. I appreciate all the time you put in.

- For The Jim

Admittedly, I'm not going to pay much attention to the Treasure Hunt promotion. It sounds like an extremely entertaining idea [and one I'd only expect from Steam], but, sadly, December's definitely going to be a busy month for me.

My sights are on the Holiday Sale; I cannot wait for the 20th.

Totally picked up Chime and Poker Night, but passed on R.U.S.E. I'll settle for 3 out of the 4 objectives.

And Chime gets a big thumbs up from me. Simple and addictive gameplay with some really good music! A steal at $1.25.

[quote name='Dwapook']Kinda wish they'd count the avatar I've already set up.[/QUOTE]

It does count. Steam just handles cookies really poorly, so you'll probably need to manually log in to see that you've completed that objective.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']And Chime gets a big thumbs up from me. Simple and addictive gameplay with some really good music! A steal at $1.25.[/QUOTE]
Dude, I'm trying to save money for the Holiday Sale. Between Steam with their tempting prices and you with your recommendations, I'm losing my self-control.

Ah! I'm in luck; There's no demo for Chime. Still it's only $1.25.

Dang it.

Well, I got the chime achievement and it's not counting it for some reason. If they don't fix this it'll be the last one of these 1.25 challenges I take on. Only reason I bought the game was for this challenge and now it won't even count it.

[quote name='eastx'][youtube]WTeaPcsRt9A[/youtube]

Evil Genius - $9.99 $2.50

Hey, Evil Genius is on sale for $2.50 all of a sudden.[/QUOTE]

That game looks silly. I decided to pick Poker Night at the Inventory, pretty fun little time waster.

[quote name='avwjase']Well, I got the chime achievement and it's not counting it for some reason. If they don't fix this it'll be the last one of these 1.25 challenges I take on. Only reason I bought the game was for this challenge and now it won't even count it.[/QUOTE]

If that's all you bought it for, that's kinda sad.

[quote name='avwjase']Well, I got the chime achievement and it's not counting it for some reason. If they don't fix this it'll be the last one of these 1.25 challenges I take on. Only reason I bought the game was for this challenge and now it won't even count it.[/QUOTE]

Looks like its back to batting around that ball of string alone in your bedroom.

[quote name='Vegan']If that's all you bought it for, that's kinda sad.[/QUOTE]

What I find sad is people like you that always make social commentaries about people who purchase games for different reasons than yourself. The game was 1.25 and had challenges attached to it. So, I purchased it. The game itself interests me very little.

[quote name='Eazy7']Looks like its back to batting around that ball of string alone in your bedroom.[/QUOTE]

Or the 60 other steam games I own. Or my wife. Or many other things. Fanboy douchebags like you always crack me up. Seriously, if you don't have something constructive to say stfu.

Did you refresh the page? Did you beat it on the 9-minute version?

Should have bought a lottery ticket instead.

[quote name='eastx']

It's offered on GOG with nice extras (but $5 even during its multiple 50% off sales).

But for those who are Steam-only, this is close to the lowest it's dropped ($2) and well worth the money. It's Dungeon Keeper with spies, so BUY IT!

Steam Achievement List for those pondering the future objectives.
http://steamcommunity.com/stats/

Holy Gabe Newell, STEAM has December on lockdown with sales now. This commences virtually 30 days of STEAM sales. Granted the Holiday deals will be more extreme, but when I first saw this for a split second, I thought that's what it was intended as.

I'll be getting a surgery this Friday and I hope the hospital has wifi for my stay, 'cause I've already planned to bring my laptop. I'd really like a bigger discount on R.U.S.E. than that...

Nice.

Got myself Poker Night.

Been meaning to get it, but $3 is more than up my alley. Not to mention I get to wear those bitchin Kanye glasses for my demo.

[quote name='eastx'][youtube]WTeaPcsRt9A[/youtube]

I can not praise this game enough. Absolutely loved it. People who liked Dungeon Keeper should certainly give it a shot at least.

Hmmmm so the chime achievement did not unlock for me either. Do you have to play it on a certain mode or time limit? I played it on that first mode in 9 minute time setting.

I wont complain either way because this is a fun little game for $1.25, but would be nice to get my shot at the drawing!

I think after this and the Christmas sale is over steam would be smart to create a "community challenge sale" every week. It could even replace the midweek deal. Basically it would be the same as this but only 1 game going on sale and maybe only 3 games or a $20 deposit to your steam wallet given away. I think its a smart move because it furthers the sense of community that in part drives the platform. I have seen a dozen people have 360 after 360 RRoD on them and much of the time when I asked them why they kept buying new ones the say "because all my friends are on XBL and I feel like I am missing out if I am not a part of the community". A steam sale like this could help to foster that same environment which keeps people coming back to your platform for years to come. I would think the cost of giving 3 or so games away every week would be more then worth what they make up in sales and making the steam community more tight nit.

9 minutes should be fine. It's a bit slow though to recognize it so it could take a while.

Maybe relog the client or something.

For a second on that last paragraph I thought you were going to talk about a Steam Anonymous group which probably a lot of us will need after this month xD

[quote name='pROvIs']When I got the one from poker night it was immediate[/QUOTE]

The Chime thing is a leaderboard ranking rather than an achievement so maybe that explains the delay. Just know it wasn't instant for me but it showed up a while later.

I ended up playing Chime for an extended amount of time last night. Next thing I knew it was midnight. Whoops.

The guy who hated group buys/gift packs should be happy now that we have a sale that will probably be single games only. I think the Achievements component of the contest is a great touch.

[quote name='eastx']The guy who hated group buys/gift packs should be happy now that we have a sale that will probably be single games only. I think the Achievements component of the contest is a great touch.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Other programs should take note of how to get users to use new features of your service. Although, I don't think any of us are fans of group-buys we just deal with them to get a better deal.

My biggest issue is that I feel like even if I immediately PM someone to join a group there is a good chance I wont get in it because of so many CAGs. So the result is everyone emails every group until they find one. Then you get a bunch of groups saying they are full but really half of them back out because they found another and they go down their list or repost, etc. I guess its a good reason to host a pack but its also not fun to facilitate the cash etc. The whole process is just really messy.

Score is over double what it takes for the requirement and its still not showing. Ah well, as I said chances of winning were slim and the game is kick ass for $1.25!

How is the poker game? I'm not that into poker games, but sometimes they're fun, and this price is pretty right. Also considering Chime. Problem is I buy games on Steam and then never play them. This is probably because we don't currently have a laptop, so I have to sit at the computer to play it. I need to get a laptop. :)

[quote name='avwjase']What I find sad is people like you that always make social commentaries about people who purchase games for different reasons than yourself. The game was 1.25 and had challenges attached to it. So, I purchased it. The game itself interests me very little.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='avwjase']Or the 60 other steam games I own. Or my wife. Or many other things. Fanboy douchebags like you always crack me up. Seriously, if you don't have something constructive to say stfu.[/QUOTE]

New to the site, already have negative feedback, and post these because someone thought buying a game for basically a raffle ticket was silly. Another great addition to our once fantastic community.

[quote name='crunchewy']How is the poker game? I'm not that into poker games, but sometimes they're fun, and this price is pretty right. Also considering Chime. Problem is I buy games on Steam and then never play them. This is probably because we don't currently have a laptop, so I have to sit at the computer to play it. I need to get a laptop. :)[/QUOTE]

Poker Game isn't bad but not great. The banter is humorous but even within an hour starts to get repetitive. The poker is ok but a bit slow and it has bugged out on me a few times with payouts. That being said I had a good few hours of fun and was worth the 2.99

[quote name='pROvIs']I agree. Other programs should take note of how to get users to use new features of your service. Although, I don't think any of us are fans of group-buys we just deal with them to get a better deal.

My biggest issue is that I feel like even if I immediately PM someone to join a group there is a good chance I wont get in it because of so many CAGs. So the result is everyone emails every group until they find one. Then you get a bunch of groups saying they are full but really half of them back out because they found another and they go down their list or repost, etc. I guess its a good reason to host a pack but its also not fun to facilitate the cash etc. The whole process is just really messy.[/QUOTE]

It might be a good idea to find another cag or two that have similar tastes and work together on the packs. Its not the easiest of processes but its not terrible either.

[quote name='pROvIs']My biggest issue is that I feel like even if I immediately PM someone to join a group there is a good chance I wont get in it because of so many CAGs. So the result is everyone emails every group until they find one. Then you get a bunch of groups saying they are full but really half of them back out because they found another and they go down their list or repost, etc. I guess its a good reason to host a pack but its also not fun to facilitate the cash etc. The whole process is just really messy.[/QUOTE]
Yeah the PM system can get messy during group buys. I think on the next set I'm going to require people to do a post in the forums so everyone can see if they made it in by the number of people that responded. No matter which route you go it wont be perfect but I haven't come across too many issues with the group buys.

[quote name='JP']Yeah the PM system can get messy during group buys. I think on the next set I'm going to require people to do a post in the forums so everyone can see if they made it in by the number of people that responded. No matter which route you go it wont be perfect but I haven't come across too many issues with the group buys.[/QUOTE]

I agree and don't get me wrong, it's still worth doing for me but only because of the price breakdown.

[quote name='paz9x']New to the site, already have negative feedback, and post these because someone thought buying a game for basically a raffle ticket was silly. Another great addition to our once fantastic community.[/QUOTE]

My negative feedback came from one of the guys you quoted, Easyx or whatever. He and I have never had any dealings outside of this thread. Considering I hosted an Alien vs Predator group buy and everyone got their game etc... and even ended up gifting two copies away to members, I'd say I carry my own weight around here.

I just get tired of the jackasses around here that think it's their place to critique others buying habits. Not everyone here is super poor or a college student and can afford to buy a $1.25 for a silly reason if they so choose.

But hey, if I have to kiss two guys asses that think they ar ebetter than me because I didn't buy Chime for a reason they find acceptable then I guess I'll be the CAG Blacksheep.

[quote name='avwjase']My negative feedback came from one of the guys you quoted, Easyx or whatever. He and I have never had any dealings outside of this thread. Considering I hosted an Alien vs Predator group buy and everyone got their game etc... and even ended up gifting two copies away to members, I'd say I carry my own weight around here.

I just get tired of the jackasses around here that think it's their place to critique others buying habits. Not everyone here is super poor or a college student and can afford to buy a $1.25 for a silly reason if they so choose.

But hey, if I have to kiss two guys asses that think they ar ebetter than me because I didn't buy Chime for a reason they find acceptable then I guess I'll be the CAG Blacksheep.[/QUOTE]

So you leave me negative feedback stating I am a, "total jerk" like I said another great addition to this site.

Wow, I kept track of the thanksgiving sale and I had no idea that there were so many dick moves happening with the packs, i did one and it was smooth and great....

Edit: rereading this......sounds kinda wrong lol

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dragonsbane']Wow, I kept track of the thanksgiving sale and I had no idea that there were so many dick moves happening with the packs, i did one and it was smooth and great....[/QUOTE]

To the community's credit, I haven't had one go bad yet but I've only dealt with people with positive feedback. The only thing I saw was people trying to deceive or trick people into paying more than they paid for a game.

I hope nobody participating in this event gets upset when they see the same games (likely) on sale for cheaper prices during the official christmas sale. I'll probably pick up a couple of cheaper games during this event but I'm sure the $40-$50 titles will be on sale for a much cheaper price during the regular x-mas sale.

Ah, the slickdeals mentality. Well, to be fair, this most recent T-day sale I had no trouble with people who appeared to be from "over there", but I've had previous not-so-wonderful experiences there before.

Also, to whom it may apply, don't abuse the feedback system by posting bullshit fb please.

[quote name='sotc1988']I hope nobody participating in this event gets upset when they see the same games (likely) on sale for cheaper prices during the official christmas sale. I'll probably pick up a couple of cheaper games during this event but I'm sure the $40-$50 titles will be on sale for a much cheaper price during the regular x-mas sale.[/QUOTE]
Ditto. I am willing to pick up games I'm interested in the lower price range bracket but deals like Ruse do not excite me at all even though I want to play the game.

[quote name='pROvIs']Ditto. I am willing to pick up games I'm interested in the lower price range bracket but deals like Ruse do not excite me at all even though I want to play the game.[/QUOTE]

definately. The chime deal was solid, I figured the only way it would be cheaper would be if it appears in a puzzle-pack which is possible.

I dont expect this sale to have better or even the same level of discounts compared to the upcoming holiday sale but I sure do like the challenege aspect of it. gives me reason to immediately play the games I might buy.

I hope they expand on this idea with furture sales. Like someone mentioned above, this would be awesome as a weekly type promotion.

[quote name='paz9x']So you leave me negative feedback stating I am a, "total jerk" like I said another great addition to this site.[/QUOTE]
Wait, did you guys have a transaction? If not, I'm pretty sure that's an abuse of the feedback system.

[quote name='pROvIs']To the community's credit, I haven't had one go bad yet but I've only dealt with people with positive feedback. The only thing I saw was people trying to deceive or trick people into paying more than they paid for a game.[/QUOTE]
I can understand some of the people saying the higher price for non-personal. The people requiring the fee either way though, that was garbage. People posting different prices for Personal Payment/Regular I didn't have a huge problem with.

[quote name='JP']
I can understand some of the people saying the higher price for non-personal. The people requiring the fee either way though, that was garbage. People posting different prices for Personal Payment/Regular I didn't have a huge problem with.[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about people tacking on 1-2 bucks a purchase rather than just fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back