Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='paz9x']So you leave me negative feedback stating I am a, "total jerk" like I said another great addition to this site.[/QUOTE]

Well, my negative feedback came under the same circumstances and you seem to feel it is a reflection of my character. So why not? You've been a total jerk to me.

[quote name='avwjase']Well, my negative feedback came under the same circumstances and you seem to feel it is a reflection of my character. So why not? [/QUOTE]
Pretty sure the phrase "Two wrongs don't make a right." applies in this scenario.

[quote name='pROvIs']I'm talking about people tacking on 1-2 bucks a purchase rather than just fees.[/QUOTE]
Ah okay. I didn't see much of that until after the sale.

On topic, I have gifted out 3 copies of Chime today. Super cheap and just something I know a number of my friends would enjoy.

[quote name='JP']Pretty sure the phrase "Two wrongs don't make a right." applies in this scenario.
[/QUOTE]

Sure, if the guy hadn't opened his big fat yapper. Perhaps the problem with the CAG community isn't "new guys" like me but these CAG Vets that seem to think they are so much better than everyone else.

Seriously, I post about being upset my Chime achievement didn't count and two guys blast me, one leaves me negative feedback saying I'm a total jerk and this guy strolls in to blast me for no reason too.

He's just another in the long line of internet idiots that thinks he knows everything but really knows nothing.

After all of this it'll be a LONG time before I buy a steam group pack and have a giveaway again. I'll keep my money and my games considering how rude some of the people in this community are.

[quote name='JP']Wait, did you guys have a transaction? If not, I'm pretty sure that's an abuse of the feedback system.[/QUOTE]It is an abuse of the feedback system, and the "abuse" feedback has been removed.

Further instances of this will get silences/bans handed out.

[quote name='avwjase']Well, my negative feedback came under the same circumstances and you seem to feel it is a reflection of my character. So why not? You've been a total jerk to me.[/QUOTE]

How would I or anyone else know that someone abused the feedback system by leaving you false negative feedback? If I hadnt seen you already having negative feedback I probably wouldnt have posted anything as it appeared that you were a new member with snappy posts and negative feedback.
I would say that your negative feedback being false changes my opinion however, your behavior since then has indeed been a reflection of your character.

Despite the influx of jerks over the last few years, this site gennerally runs on the idea of a good spirited community enjoying good deals and video games. I do get a bit overvealous in posting when it comes to what I see as new members disregarding this sites unique community that I enjoy so much.

The feedback system is meant to help guage how trustworthy a member has been in transactions with other CAGs not to slander each other.

[quote name='paz9x']How would I or anyone else know that someone abused the feedback system by leaving you false negative feedback? If I hadnt seen you already having negative feedback I probably wouldnt have posted anything as it appeared that you were a new member with snappy posts and negative feedback.
I would say that your negative feedback being false changes my opinion however, your behavior since then has indeed been a reflection of your character.

[/QUOTE]

avwjase left false feedback on my account as well that needs to be removed. He seems to enjoy trolling this site.

[quote name='Eazy7']avwjase left false feedback on my account as well that needs to be removed. He seems to enjoy trolling this site.[/QUOTE]

You left negative feedback on my profile first and started this ball rolling. If I could remove it now that the one you left me has been removed, I would. I just tried and cannot.

Lying and saying I left feedback first is a pretty stupid idea when everything done digitally is timestamped and recorded.

Can we get back to sales and games please, I think it's been depressing enough.

Gonna make a baseless prediction here that Alien Swarm will be one of the 'free' objectives :)

So here is a question. If you already own a game that is part of the treasure hunt sale, can you still participate in the chance to win free games?

[quote name='Eazy7']Lying and saying I left feedback first is a pretty stupid idea when everything done digitally is timestamped and recorded.[/QUOTE]

It is not a lie and they can check the timestamps til their hearts content. I'm done with you man. Seriously, is there an ignore option on this forum?

EDIT: There, done. Ignore on.

[quote name='Pheace']Gonna make a baseless prediction here that Alien Swarm will be one of the 'free' objectives :)[/QUOTE]

As awesome as that'd be, I hope that it's merely install/play the game and not a specific achievement already in there, as I don't have time this week for too much games. I also hope some of the later objectives are things I've already done, too. Not that I don't want to play these games (I'm having a blast playing Chime now), I'm just swamped with finals this week.

Let's put this issue behind us. Some people should put others on ignore and we'll all move forward from this issue.

[quote name='Eazy7']avwjase left false feedback on my account as well that needs to be removed. He seems to enjoy trolling this site.[/QUOTE]Your "fake" feedback has been removed.

[quote name='paz9x']How would I or anyone else know that someone abused the feedback system by leaving you false negative feedback? If I hadnt seen you already having negative feedback I probably wouldnt have posted anything as it appeared that you were a new member with snappy posts and negative feedback.

Despite the influx of jerks over the last few years, this site gennerally runs on the idea of a good spirited community enjoying good deals and video games. I do get a bit overvealous in posting when it comes to what I see as new members disregarding this sites unique community that I enjoy so much.

The feedback system is meant to help guage how trustworthy a member has been in transactions with other CAGs not to slander each other.[/QUOTE]Right on all counts.

[quote name='MSI Magus']So here is a question. If you already own a game that is part of the treasure hunt sale, can you still participate in the chance to win free games?[/QUOTE]
yes. Also, just to "chime" in (sorry couldn't resist), for those of you having trouble with chime, I just got it over about half hour never having played it before during my lunch break and it immediately showed up after i refreshed the steam treasure hunt page. I'd confirm you actually got the score on that one level and not "overall" which includes all your levels. You can click leaderboards switch to level and change filter to check.

The main thing seems to be trying to get 100% coverage and good combos while doing it.

[quote name='shrike4242']Let's put this issue behind us. Some people should put others on ignore and we'll all move forward from this issue.

Your "fake" feedback has been removed.

Right on all counts.[/QUOTE]

thanks for ending that Shrike. I'd appreciate it if we could clean up the thread and remove it so it doesn't propagate again with more people chiming in.

[quote name='pROvIs']thanks for ending that Shrike. I'd appreciate it if we could clean up the thread and remove it so it doesn't propagate again with more people chiming in.[/QUOTE]

CHIMING in! I see what you did there! AHHAHA!

[quote name='MSI Magus']So here is a question. If you already own a game that is part of the treasure hunt sale, can you still participate in the chance to win free games?[/QUOTE]

Im not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. Are you asking if already owning the games listed in each series of two-day challenges elminates you from being able to win free games? if thats what youre asking I can't imagine steam doing that. Whether or not youve had the games since launch day or you pick them up during the discounted period, you should still be eligible for the free games.

I setup my avatar picture before the challenge period and still got credit for the challenege. Id think the same logic would hold true for the games.

[quote name='pROvIs']yes. Also, just to "chime" in (sorry couldn't resist), for those of you having trouble with chime, I just got it over about half hour never having played it before during my lunch break and it immediately showed up after i refreshed the steam treasure hunt page. I'd confirm you actually got the score on that one level and not "overall" which includes all your levels. You can click leaderboards switch to level and change filter to check.

The main thing seems to be trying to get 100% coverage and good combos while doing it.[/QUOTE]

I definitely got the score. It's in my game listed as the high score for that level. It's just simply not showing up on steam for whatever reason. This isn't the first time I've had issues with their achievement system.

I beat the L4D1 maps on expert FOUR TIMES EACH before it gave me that achievement. So, I'm no stranger to the rather wonky steam achievement system.

[quote name='avwjase']I definitely got the score. It's in my game listed as the high score for that level. It's just simply not showing up on steam for whatever reason. This isn't the first time I've had issues with their achievement system.

I beat the L4D1 maps on expert FOUR TIMES EACH before it gave me that achievement. So, I'm no stranger to the rather wonky steam achievement system.[/QUOTE]

I guess all I can do is shrug my shoulders and give you the typical unhelpful internet response of "works for me." :p

[quote name='avwjase']I definitely got the score. It's in my game listed as the high score for that level. It's just simply not showing up on steam for whatever reason. This isn't the first time I've had issues with their achievement system.

I beat the L4D1 maps on expert FOUR TIMES EACH before it gave me that achievement. So, I'm no stranger to the rather wonky steam achievement system.[/QUOTE]

Having the same problem...I just beat it for like the 6th time and it STILL did not unlock! I am just done trying, at least the game was fun to play though!

Sorry to take this a bit OT but my experience on this site has been great so far. I have rarely encountered any trolls or internet tough guys trying to up the size of their epeen. I find that the general community on the site is a lot more positive than any other sites, people helping each other trying to get good deals and such.

An improvement to the BST feedback system would be having to add a Link to the feedback. That way you know if the deal is legit. For example, adding a permalink to a post for a group buy, or posting a WTB or FS ad. This will help show the community what the feedback was actually left there for.

Also for Chime, it is NOT an achievement, I played over and over again waiting for that little achievement box to pop up. Check the treasure achievement site if you actually get it or not.

[quote name='forbiddenx']Sorry to take this a bit OT but my experience on this site has been great so far. I have rarely encountered any trolls or internet tough guys trying to up the size of their epeen. I find that the general community on the site is a lot more positive than any other sites, people helping each other trying to get good deals and such.

An improvement to the BST feedback system would be having to add a Link to the feedback. That way you know if the deal is legit. For example, adding a permalink to a post for a group buy, or posting a WTB or FS ad. This will help show the community what the feedback was actually left there for.[/QUOTE]

I second this, having been on the site for a long time I have never encountered a bad experience, (other than crushing defeat at missing a deal, or additional debt...lol) but my two cents jvwjase handled the situation wrong, if some one left bogus feed back tell a mod or send a message, don't take it to the forums and then start doing it back to people, its just not a mature reaction. Hopefully after this we can all go forward and be a happy community again.:D

Just a small FYI, but Chime won't run on some setups. Failed for me, and I haven't had a problem running a game in years. Judging by their Steam forum, it's been a known problem for months. They do have a few workarounds to try.

[quote name='paz9x']Can anybody comment on how this stacks up against eets chowdown?[/QUOTE]

The PC version was the original. It doesn't have the Marsho Madness game, and the 360 version does have some exclusive levels, but the PC version has hundreds of community-made levels available. There's a big pack of them available on the game's website.

So, yeah, if you like the gameplay, the PC version is worth it, since there are so many levels available.

Thanks EvildeadJedi! Added Eets and System Protocol One to the Steam games on sale section in the OP.

[youtube]EP9e-m6Ho1w[/youtube]
  • Eets - $9.99 $2.50 - Ends 12/09
    platform_steamplay.png
    - Review
  • System Protocol One - $9.99 $8.99
    platform_steamplay.png

evil genius is such a good game! i recommend everyone jump on that for $2.50. it's pretty much sim/sim city but you're an evil genius! if you liked tropico when it was 7.50, you'll definitely like evil genius which i think is more fun.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']I second this, having been on the site for a long time I have never encountered a bad experience, (other than crushing defeat at missing a deal, or additional debt...lol) but my two cents jvwjase handled the situation wrong, if some one left bogus feed back tell a mod or send a message, don't take it to the forums and then start doing it back to people, its just not a mature reaction. Hopefully after this we can all go forward and be a happy community again.:D[/QUOTE]

Yeah, CAG really is the best gaming web site I have ever come accross. And not just because it saves me a ton of money and lets me aford more games then I could ever play. Once you eliminate the mine vs yours in a community and remove the $60 price tag on games everyone is in a much better mood.

Since we don't pay as much for stuff we don't feel the need to defend/attack something. And it seem more people on this site own more the one platform (since we can afford them) so console bashing seems to be very minimum. Debates usually center around is a game worth it rather then if the game is good.

I'm actually suprised I haven't seen the usual Anti-digital download folks show up in this thread. Usually the digital vs phyisical debate shows up in these steam threads.

The Heavy's Gun acheiver made me MAD on several occasions. Profuse swearing. Won by a sheer desperation "all-in first hand" bid that locked me and the heavy together and my pair of 8s beat his pair of 2s.

I was like :O

I got the Chime achievement super easy like, but it reminds me of Lumines and I'm usually pretty good at these puzzle type games.

Steam's having the treasure hunt sale *and* midweek madness? That's it, Gabe's finally gone off his rocker. Somebody get the tranq gun...

Finally got my poker achievement today. Got lucky, Strongbad and Heavy went all in the same time I did, barely pulled two pairs over their single pairs. Bring on the next round Steam, I've got your monies right here waiting.

[quote name='eastx']Took me like 2 hours to get the Heavy's gun (the other 3 Team Fortress 2 unlocks came first). Pretty fun game.[/QUOTE]

I'm about $350,000 in the hole because I would just play a new tourney if the Heavy didn't ante up Sasha. Eh, I got it though.

Already have the iron curtain. Are these 'treasure hunt' items like that retroactive? I haven't been online all day.

[quote name='JohnDM']Already have the iron curtain. Are these 'treasure hunt' items like that retroactive? I haven't been online all day.[/QUOTE]

yes

Anybody know what time tomorrow's sales get posted? I'm pretty sure the next 48 hour cycle starts tomorrow because I saw the current sales on the steam page yesterday and today.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Anybody know what time tomorrow's sales get posted? I'm pretty sure the next 48 hour cycle starts tomorrow because I saw the current sales on the steam page yesterday and today.[/QUOTE]

The treasure hunt page has a countdown to 10AM Valve Time Pacific.

I kept getting around 900,000 with my Chime scores. My tip is to focus on getting the board covered. You get 100,000 and some multiplier stuff for the board covered. I got 2 Million on that try. Might of been luck dunno.

Also I don't think multiplier added stuff at the stats screen doesn't counts toward the 1,124,000. Have to get originally that score I think.

I'm wondering how hard some of these objectives will get. I could see them doing things like speedrun Portal or Half Life on the final day for shits and giggles. Hopefully I own majority of the games for the next few sales.

So Im assuming the timer with 4 hours and 30 mins left means, the next objectives are coming up? And it's not a dead line i.e. you'll never get your treasure hat.

[quote name='Poshbishounen']So Im assuming the timer with 4 hours and 30 mins left means, the next objectives are coming up? And it's not a dead line i.e. you'll never get your treasure hat.[/QUOTE]
I assumed it was a deadline, but I'm not sure.

Heh, this sale/giveaway idea is so cool. I'm such a dork. I love bargains and free stuff so much and I also like the idea of the scheduled surprises that I can look forward to. I also like having a reason to get achievements or a score on something. I've always loved the idea of achievements, but I've never been into meaningless scores. I like when xbox games give avatar rewards or WOW gives titles or a pet or something for achievements.

I'm excited to find out what the next deals/goals are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back