Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to chime in and mention that they offer various audio formats for the soundtrack (select your preferred format in the popup dialog after you click on "BUY NOW"):

• mp3 320K - 189.4MB
  • FLAC - 631.5MB
  • mp3 VBR (V0) - 148.2MB
  • AAC - 116.1MB
  • Ogg Vorbis - 123.5MB
  • ALAC - 649.5MB

also, i didn't want to start a new thread for a frickin avatar so i might as well give you the heads up here. see op for the redemption code to get this free uncharted 3 ps3 avatar:

5253025816_67276fffb9_m.jpg

Thanks OP.

[quote name='VaultDweller']umm you guys still buy music? i got the soundtrack just by simple google search...[/QUOTE]

Arggh! Back to the vault with ye, says I.

Already had the L4D2 and gift acheivement, already owned Shatter but hadn't gotten it. Only took me about 5 tries but I kept getting within 5 hits of making the score, was pretty annoying :X

I'm sitting at 8/10, it's pretty likely I'll hit the target by the 20th.

Wow that shatter goal was the hardest yet and I'm usually really good at those types of things. I think I put at least a few hours into it.

The L4D2 one was easy. I had gotten it on 360 but for PC I looked up the easiest place to find the four special infected and got it in about 10 minutes or so.

Shatter is evil. I don't know how everyone else is doing so well, but I'm lucky to crack 9,000,000 points. Every time I start doing well, I get two balls coming my way at the same time and have to give one up - usually twice in a row. Or two balls will collide and make a nosedive past my paddle. Or a ball will strike my paddle yet mysteriously doesn't bounce off it.

I think there's code in there that detects it's running on my specific computer and activates Evil mode. Or maybe I just suck, but I'm not done exploring the first option.

[quote name='BitLooter']Shatter is evil. I don't know how everyone else is doing so well, but I'm lucky to crack 9,000,000 points. Every time I start doing well, I get two balls coming my way at the same time and have to give one up - usually twice in a row. Or two balls will collide and make a nosedive past my paddle. Or a ball will strike my paddle yet mysteriously doesn't bounce off it.

I think there's code in there that detects it's running on my specific computer and activates Evil mode. Or maybe I just suck, but I'm not done exploring the first option.[/QUOTE]

I think it comes to familiarity of distance to mouse movement. I play a heck of a lot of FPS so I know exactly how far I have to move the mouse to spin 180 degrees, and so when I play shatter I get a good feel of how hard I need to flick the mouse to pick up balls in quick succession.

[quote name='VaultDweller']umm you guys still buy music? i got the soundtrack just by simple google search...[/QUOTE]

You know, even people who pirate music need to know when to buy some music. When you can't pay $1 for 13 tracks, you're being too much and don't really deserve much.

__

With that aside, I have yet to play Shatter (I don't own a PS3 nor PC). Though, these tracks sound great, sold! Thanks OP!

I always found myself looking up the soundtrack on YouTube to listen to the songs, but now I don't have to! This is definitely a great deal for a dollar! Nice find OP!

I would once again like to point out that you're very quickly becoming the worst poster on CAG.

OT, that's an awesome price for Shatter's soundtrack. It's easily one of the great video game soundtracks of all time. I bought the actual CD for the game from some site or another.

Is there still a fairly large community for L4D2? I haven't ever played either game but the steam price is so tempting to try it out but I would hate to get it and there be no one to play with.

Shatter achievement felt evil for the wrong reasons. Just feels like without the suck/blow mechanic it literally has no standard. Fast one minute, now slow, now for some reason going back and forth. And it feels like if you hit one while its almost about to go out its just automatic explode. Sometimes it will decide to bounce back and sometimes just explode. Ugh. And I hate the circular arena.

Any tips would be nice. I played through it normally, then switched off music, then turned on a podcast while its music was off. I wasn't in the zone for any of it. Probably because I'm running on no sleep though.

[quote name='Skram']Shatter achievement felt evil for the wrong reasons. Just feels like without the suck/blow mechanic it literally has no standard. Fast one minute, now slow, now for some reason going back and forth. And it feels like if you hit one while its almost about to go out its just automatic explode. Sometimes it will decide to bounce back and sometimes just explode. Ugh. And I hate the circular arena.

Any tips would be nice. I played through it normally, then switched off music, then turned on a podcast while its music was off. I wasn't in the zone for any of it. Probably because I'm running on no sleep though.[/QUOTE]

I was getting ready to type something similar. Whoever picked this as the achievement for Shatter didn't do the developers any favors. I loved Shatter. I own it on PS3 and PC, but this part of the game isn't nearly as much fun as the rest of the game. Even if you get sales (based on this) you are probably going to turn off a good deal of buyers who now won't be interested in a follow-up game. Not a good choice in my opinion, I understand people should play the rest of the game, but I have a feeling most new buyers will not.

The only tip I have is you have to go into that last circle round with at least 8,000,000 to stand a chance. I'm sure it is possible to get it even if you are under, but the randomness the circle introduces makes it highly unlikely IMO. I finally cleared it after probably 15 tries by restarting if I didn't have good scores on the first or second board.

I would like to voice my disgust towards "VaultDweller," as well. For $1, you'd be supporting Module, the Shatter staff, and society in general. The soundtrack is well-worth the money, and I believe you know that.

If you can't pay $1 for a soundtrack you like, you might as well not be on CAG; You should be on something like OverlyEntitledPirates.

This Shatter hate reminds me of the people who got too frustrated playing Osmos' later levels. I had the opposite reaction to Shatter's bonus levels; Even if I never got the goal, I enjoyed the music, psychedelic imagery, and arcade gameplay. In addition, it was entertaining to go for a goal that, for some, only requires a few dedicated tries to accomplish. (Although, I should have mentioned in my previous post that I, too, used the mouse.)

I feel bad for those that are finding the goal too hard to handle, but implore all players to stop taking it so seriously. Take time to enjoy the game itself.

[quote name='lunker']I just bought this soundtrack for $10 a day ago. I would be mad, but the soundtrack is so freaking good that it's still a good deal at $10. At $1, it's almost criminal. Killer trance/electronica. I didn't even own the game!

Though for $2.50, it's worth trying it out to see if it'll run on my netbook. Thanks, OP![/QUOTE]

I bought it a while ago for $10 as well and I am in no way sad/angry that it's only a dollar today. Incredible soundtrack. I grabbed it before grabbing the actual game. :D

I have no clue as to what how graphic cards stack up against eachother so I have no idea if my graphic card is good or not haha

(I have stayed away from pc gaming too long and have recently (i know) noticed clients like steam have amazing deals)

All i know is that Shatter looks fun :D and for only 2.50! nice

but it says it requires: ATi Radeon 9600

here comes the part you guys make fun of me on (On the sticker on my pc it says I have ATI Radeon 3000) but on display adapter it says AMD 760g

all i want to know is can I run this before i buy it haha

cuz my friend was stupid and he girfted me Mafia 2 and i couldnt run it and could barely run poker game with the Heavy and Max (sad i know)

please bear with me I know Im trying to learn more about graphic cards

I'll try and help. One important thing to note is that Shatter comes with a full Configuration program. Therefore, if I had to take a guess, I'd say the game has a good chance of running well on even old or low-end PC setups. The settings would have to be set to their minimums, but I believe the game would be playable.

What you should do, Mr. Dohboy, is download CPU-Z and tell us what your CPU is, how much RAM you've got, etc. (That is, if it's not too far off-topic.)

I have to ask this here, because I can't remember which forums I read this "rumor" from. I heard that Black Ops will be on sale on Steam Dec. 20. I don't know by how much.

Right now, I'm wondering if I should buy it from newegg, where it has been $47 (free shipping and no tax???) or should I wait it out for the rumor. Just wondering if anyone had any insight on that supposed rumor I heard.

Shatter is the bomb shizzy. There's a point where you just gotta look through the screen and let your twitch take over. Love that game.

[quote name='pROvIs']

The L4D2 one was easy. I had gotten it on 360 but for PC I looked up the easiest place to find the four special infected and got it in about 10 minutes or so.[/QUOTE]

Where is the easiest place to find the uncommon infected since they appear in separate campaigns? The objective is for the uncommon: riot, clown, mud men, etc and not the special like the Witch, Jockey, Tank, etc.

For anyone trying the Shatter objective, don't know if it's blatantly obvious, but try hitting the balls back with the direct center of the paddle. Especially in the first section, it allows the balls to go end to end, and they will be less likely to do that zig zag crap.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Where is the easiest place to find the uncommon infected since they appear in separate campaigns? The objective is for the uncommon: riot, clown, mud men, etc and not the special like the Witch, Jockey, Tank, etc.[/QUOTE]

You just have to play through all the original campaigns, minus the Parish. I never played through that one and I have the achievement. It's pretty find at least one to kill throughout the entire campaign, and I'm sure you could quit the campaign and move onto the next one if you're short on time.

[quote name='lordopus99']Is there still a fairly large community for L4D2? I haven't ever played either game but the steam price is so tempting to try it out but I would hate to get it and there be no one to play with.[/QUOTE]

It is currently in the top 10 most played games on Steam with ~15,000 players in the middle of the day.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

I'm not sure about the quality of the community however. It will probably be the most fun if you have a group of friends to play with.

Seems like a tradition now. I bought the soundtrack last Christmas when it was $1 due to winning PS3 puzzle game of the year or something. The game is great as well and I generally have no interest in brick breaking games.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I'll try and help. One important thing to note is that Shatter comes with a full Configuration program. Therefore, if I had to take a guess, I'd say the game has a good chance of running well on even old or low-end PC setups. The settings would have to be set to their minimums, but I believe the game would be playable.

What you should do, Mr. Dohboy, is download CPU-Z and tell us what your CPU is, how much RAM you've got, etc. (That is, if it's not too far off-topic.)[/QUOTE]

AMD Phenom II X4 830 Processor

5.7 gig RAM

2.8gig Video Ram

2.8GHz

Free Disc Space 622.6GB

[quote name='Xealot42']It is currently in the top 10 most played games on Steam with ~15,000 players in the middle of the day.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

I'm not sure about the quality of the community however. It will probably be the most fun if you have a group of friends to play with.[/QUOTE]
Not that I don't think the L4D2 community is going strong, but the numbers right now are likely inflated with people doing the treasure hunt.

I'm a new PC gamer (amazed by all the good deals on games)

Please excuse my ignorance but I just want to know if I am able to play shatter.

I dont want to buy another game and find out I am not able to play it.

I am currently using this website to aid me but some games are not on the list yet (Shatter)
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

Thank you in advance (i do apologize I am learning more about graphic cards etc.

(On the sticker of my pc it says I have ATI Radeon 3000 but when I look on Device Manager it says AMD 760G so im confused)

5.7 gig RAM

2.8gig Video Ram

2.8GHz

Free Disc Space 622.6GB

[quote name='Monroeski']Not that I don't think the L4D2 community is going strong, but the numbers right now are likely inflated with people doing the treasure hunt.[/QUOTE]

It'll still be pretty high, it always has been. Once L4D3 comes out, that's when the #s will drop. I'm a little surprised MW2 is just below Black OPs though.

[quote name='Dohboy563']I'm a new PC gamer (amazed by all the good deals on games)

Please excuse my ignorance but I just want to know if I am able to play shatter.

I dont want to buy another game and find out I am not able to play it.

I am currently using this website to aid me but some games are not on the list yet (Shatter)
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

Thank you in advance (i do apologize I am learning more about graphic cards etc.

(On the sticker of my pc it says I have ATI Radeon 3000 but when I look on Device Manager it says AMD 760G so im confused)

5.7 gig RAM

2.8gig Video Ram

2.8GHz

Free Disc Space 622.6GB[/QUOTE]

You'll be fine. I'm running a Dual Core Intel processor with a GeForce 9800 GTX+ and it's running fine on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back